Two

That Winter...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That winter…

Chapter 2

 

“You’re now listening to Velvet Dreams, your favourite night radio with me, DJ Seulgi,” said the DJ with her soothing voice into the microphone.

She was in the live radio broadcast, a regular slot that runs between 8pm till 10pm daily. She glanced outside the studio through the glass and her eyes met with the show’s producer, PD Lee Chaeyeon. They exchanged smiles.

“Tonight we have a special song request by our love-struck PD to her lovely fiancé.”

Chaeyeon chuckled from outside the studio booth. Seulgi always teases her about Eunbi. Maybe because she's tired of hearing her talking about her every day.

“How romantic, right? They make me feel jealous,” added the DJ.

“Lucky girl, if you’re listening, this song is for you. It’s Run to You by Heize.”

The music begin to play, with the female singer’s husky voice.

 

Forget your sadness,

And smile for me,

Wait for me,

I’ll go to you,

My walk is slow but I’ll definitely go,

I promise you.

 

**

 

Lee Chaeyeon took a deep breath. She was standing in front of Eunbi’s apartment, coming there straight after work. She already pressed the bell, waiting for the door to be open. Honestly, it’s a bit nervous for her to meet Eunbi again. It’s the first time she’s meeting her after the engagement party. She did called her, and texted her afterwards, but Eunbi’s replies were short, and her calls mostly didn’t get through.

She’s nervous, worried, scared.

She’s scared of losing her.

The door finally opened, revealing a familiar face, but not the one she was expecting.

“Oh, hello there, Chaeyeon!” Yena greeted cheerfully.

“Is Eunbi home? I want to meet her,” Chaeyeon replied flatly.

Yena scoffed, “Yah, is she all you’re thinking about? I’m so disappointed, I’m here too, you know?”

Chaeyeon sighed, “She’s my fiancé, Yena. Of course, I’m here to meet her not you. You’re not the one I’m marrying.”

The taller girl pushed her aside and entered the house without saying anything else.

Yena shrugged, “It’s your lost, I’m a good catch.”

“Well, why don’t you tell that to Yuri.”

“Y-Yuri? Why should I? I don’t like short girls-

“Where is Eun? Is she in her room?” Chaeyeon asked. She headed straight to Eunbi’s room and knocked the door.

“Eun, I’m here,” she said softly.

“Stop talking to the door. She’s not home yet,” Yena replied with a snort.

Chaeyeon looked at her friend and scoffed, “Then why didn’t you say so??”

“You were the one who’s pushing your way in!”

Yena sighed, “By the way, she’s not herself lately, I’m worried about her…”

“What do you mean?”

“She spends a lot of time in her room and she didn’t talk much. She smiles a lot, but it don’t really feels like she’s smiling… Are you and her doing okay?”

Chaeyeon gulped, “Y-Yeah, we texted earlier today. I didn’t tell her that I was coming though; I thought I wanted to surprise her.”

“Well, it’s a surprise indeed. She’s not home yet. But maybe she’s busy at work. She did told me they just got a new project.”

The taller girl cleared , “Maybe. I’m just gonna leave these in her room.”

She said, showing a small box.

“Oh, is that-

“It’s her engagement ring.”

 

Chaeyeon went into Eunbi’s room. Her room smells like her, of vanilla and lavender. She smiled to herself.

She made her way to the desk nearby the window, where Eunbi usually did her work. She put the box in the middle of the desk, where it’s hard to miss. There were an old cassette player on the desk, and also a sketch pad with pencils scattered. Chaeyeon sat on the chair and grabbed a pencil to leave a note. She looked around for a piece of paper she could use, but there wasn’t any. She picked up the sketch pad on the desk to look for any loose sheets underneath.

But, instead of loose sheets, she found a portrait.

She turned the page around and saw a beautifully sketched portrait of a girl.

Chaeyeon held her breath.

She knows her.

The one person that Eunbi yearns for.

Eunbi’s first love.

Sakura.

Her hands were shaking as she put the sketchbook down on the desk. And suddenly she saw some writings at the corner of the page. It was Eunbi’s handwriting.

 

“Was I dreaming when I saw you?”

“I still remember everything.”

“I hope I’m not the only one dreaming when I saw you at that street.”

“Kkura-ya, where are you?”

“Where are you now?”

 

**

 

Eunbi knows it’s stupid.

She knows it’s impossible for someone who’s dead to comeback alive.

But there she was, standing at the street where she saw Sakura the other day. It was another busy night, and the street were bustling with people. Eunbi looked around, scanning every person that’s passing by, hoping to meet her again by chance.

Was it a mistake?

Was she dreaming all along?

Maybe. Most likely.

Still, she want to make sure of it. What if that was really Sakura? What if Sakura was alive all along?

She has no idea how long has it been, she’s walking down the street back and forth, looking for a ghost. Her feet were hurting but she ignored the pain. She probably got blisters from her heels, but that can wait.

“Eunbi!” she heard some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter