One

That Winter...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That winter…

Chapter 1

 

“Wow, you look so beautiful, Eunbi!” Choi Yena said, as she was admiring her friend’s full make-up’s face from the reflection in the mirror.

There’s a woman sitting in front of the makeup table, with beautiful long dark hair and her dewy eyes. She was looking at her own face who had just finished being prepped up by the artist. She had been sitting there in the beauty salon for almost 3 hours, preparing for her big day.

Kwon Eunbi smiled and her cheeks turned pink. She glanced at her best friend and their eyes met. They smiled at each other.

“I can’t believe you’re really getting married to Chaeyeon, after all these years,” Yena said, as her eyes were getting misty with the tears.

Eunbi chuckled, “It’s an engagement party! We’re not getting married yet! Not today.”

“Well, you’re getting married to her eventually! And I’m just so happy for you! I still remember those days Chaeyeon trying to woo you in school, she had never given up on you, and it’s finally got to this point, I-

Yena paused as she was choked on her own emotions.

Eunbi laughed, “Yah, Choi Yena, why are you being more emotional than me? I’m the one getting engaged today!”

Yena took a few deep breaths to calm herself down. And then she grabbed Eunbi’s shoulders, looking straight into her eyes.

“What now?”

“I feel like giving my daughter away…”

Eunbi smacked her friend’s arm, causing her to flinch backwards.

“Yah, that hurts!” she said, rubbing her arm.

“You’re talking nonsense!”

Suddenly Yena checked her watch and she gasped, “Oh no.”

“What?”

“W-We have to go now, or we’re gonna be late! The traffic and all!”

Eunbi looked at the clock on the wall, “It’s almost time! Gosh, Yena, go get the car now!”

Her friend nodded, “A-Alright, I’ll go get the car and you settle the bill and wait outside, okay?”

“Okay, hurry up go! You parked far!”

Yena grabbed her jacket and bag in a hurry before heading out of the salon. She almost bumped onto the glass door. Eunbi quickly settled the bill at the counter and then headed out of the shop.

There was a lot of people outside, she’s at a popular fashion district in Apgujeoung, and it’s almost the holiday season. The weather is chillier today than yesterday, she thought. She pulled her coat tighter and put her hands inside her pockets. She glanced at the road, wondering where Yena is. They can’t be late. Her parents and Chaeyeon’s family are already waiting at the restaurant that they booked for the party.

She smiled to herself.

She can’t believe she’s getting engaged to Chaeyeon. Lee Chaeyeon out of all people. They practically grew up together, from middle school to high school, she’s been by her side through it all. When she was at her lowest, she was there. Even when she tried to push her away, she never gave up and stayed.

Even when she lost that person. Chaeyeon was there.

Suddenly emotions came rushing to her, a mixed of it. She looked up at the dark sky and took a few deep breaths.

For some reason, she’s thinking about that person. She hates how the memory of her can just intrudes her mind without warning. It’s something that she can’t control. 10 years had passed but at times, it feels like it was just yesterday.

That smile. That darned smile.

“Let’s skip school today and go on a date, Eun!”

She said it with her playful smile. Eunbi had never skipped school before, but that day she did. And it was one of the best day of her life.

Not sure why but she misses her more than usual today. Maybe because it’s almost winter.

The season when she met her.

She knows she shouldn’t be thinking about her, especially not today. This is wrong.

Eunbi shook her head.

Worried of tears spilling out and ruining her makeup, she forced a smile and took a few deep breaths.

“Where is Choi Yena…” she muttered.

She looked around for any sign of her friend, but she saw something while fell on her cheek.

Her eyes widened, “Oh, isn’t this snow?”

She looked up and saw the beautiful little cotton-like droplets falling from the sky.

“It’s the first snow,” she said smiling.

As she was looking away, suddenly her eyes caught something else.

Someone else.

That person.

Eunbi froze. For a moment, she couldn’t breathe. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t speak.

She saw her.

There was a woman walking in the crowd, brown long coat, and maroon scarves around her neck. Her hair was let loose on her chest, and it’s dyed in the shade of light brown. And she’s wearing a pair of glasses.

She was walking towards her way, at times looking up at the sky, letting the snow fell on her face.

And then, she smiled. That same darned smile.

Eunbi knew it’s impossible. It can’t be her.

She died 10 years ago. She cried for her, for many sleepless nig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter