Four

That Winter...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwon Eunbi looked out of the window of the moving bus as the night was getting darker. She sits at her favourite seat, the window seat at the back of the bus.

Her friends asked her why she didn't use her car to commute to work. She has a car, and she can drive. Whenever they ask her that, she can't give them an exact answer. She simply prefers buses. It's easy to get around in the city. She doesn't have to drive through the traffic jam and tire herself.

But those are just excuses.

She knows why.

Suddenly the memory from 10 years ago came flashing on her mind.


 

Eunbi was panting when she finally got onto the bus. She can't be late to school again. The scary discipline teacher, Mr. Lee had already put her on his list.

"Oh great, it's empty," she said to herself.

She made her way to the back of the bus, towards her favourite seat, the window seat. There was a girl sitting on the seat beside her. Long dark hair, bright round eyes, she’s pretty. Their eyes met, and it made Eunbi blushed a little. She smiled at her. But the girl immediately looks away.

Eunbi cleared and sat at the seat without saying anything. She glances at the uniform that the girl was wearing underneath her jacket.

It looks like she also goes to her school. But she had never seen her before.

She’s pretty but arrogant, Eunbi thinks.

As the bus continued its journey towards the school, Eunbi looked out of the window and opened it slightly. She likes the feeling of the wind hitting her face with the fresh air outside.

She smiled.

It's refreshing.

It was so relaxing, and it's making her sleepy. She slept late last night, playing maple story with Hyewon and Yena. Her best friend, Chaeyeon had to call her in the morning to wake her up. She made a mental note to treat Chaeyeon later, to thank her.

Her eyelids were getting heavy, and without realizing, she fell asleep against her will. She felt so comfortable as if there's even a comfortable pillow supporting her, lulling her to sleep.

Suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her temple. Like someone pushed her head.

And that woke her up.

She opened her eyes and noticed the girl beside her staring at her with an annoyed expression.

Eunbi scoffed, "What are you looking-

She paused. She noticed that the building outside is unfamiliar.

"W-We missed the stop! Why didn't you wake me up?!" she asked the girl.

But the girl didn't reply to her.

"Urgh ahjusshi, stop the bus!"


 

That was the first day she met Sakura.

She accidentally fell asleep on her shoulder, and they were late to school together. She dragged Sakura with her that day so that they could share the taxi's fee.

Turns out it was Sakura's first day at school.

Eunbi let out a heavy sigh. Tears were b in her eyes.

Sakura lives on in her memories no matter how long the time has passed.

And the memory of her grew stronger since she met Maki.

Maybe Chaeyeon was right. Maybe she shouldn't work on that project with her.


 

**


 

"I think we've gone through all the details we needed. We can proceed to sign the agreement now," said Polaris's CEO Kim Sungkyu.

Maki was sitting opposite him. She can't help feeling bothered.

"Hmm may I ask something?"

"Yes, what is it?"

"Why didn't Ms. Kwon Eunbi come today?"

Sungkyu looks at her and then nods, "Oh, she is no longer involved with this project. She passed it to me and also Ms. Kim, so we'll be working with you from now on."

Maki creased her eyebrows.

"Can we proceed with the signing?" Sungkyu asked.

"Hmm, wait."

"Yes?"

"I will sign that but... I have one condition to add."

"What is it?"


 

**


 

"Order anything you want, Eunbi-ah. It's on me today," said Sungkyu with his cheeky smile.

Eunbi looked at him suspiciously, "Why are you treating me to dinner all of the sudden, sunbae..."

"Because as your sunbae, I just want to treat you well. You've been working with me since you graduated and you’re the best architect we have! I really appreciate that you’re staying despite the offers you got from other firms," he said with a smile.

Eunbi chuckled, "If you say so. But this is still suspicious."

"Don't be too cautious over everything, Eunbi-ah! Just eat!"

Eunbi eventually gave up and ended up ordering some of the most expensive dishes on the menu. They talked about work and some of their friends from college, like two friends catching up. Even though they meet every day.

"Did you close the deal with Ume yesterday?" asked Eunbi.

Sungkyu nods, "Yes, we did. And the presentation is in two days... I hope you can prepare it well. I believe in y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter