Three

That Winter...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Ms. Kwon Eunbi, hmm Eunbi..." Maki said as she was grabbing a few files from her table.

She turned and walked towards her guest, the architect from Polaris, Eunbi. She was sitting at another table in the middle of the office, waiting for her.

"Eun," she called softly.

Eunbi gulped. 

She didn't expect that. 

 

Eun.

She still remembers the way Sakura calling her. She's a year younger than her but she didn't want to call her unnie. 

That's the wrong note, Eun. Let me show you how to play the song.

The memory of her and Sakura suddenly popped up in her mind, that evening when they were sitting in front of the piano. The sun were peeking through the old window, and it shines around Sakura, like a halo. 

Everything was beautiful that day.

The music, the weather, the girl. 

 

Maki pulled a chair and sat beside Eunbi.

"I just think your name sounds beautiful," she said with a grin.

"I bet your... fiance loves saying your name," she added, pointing at the ring on Eunbi's finger.

The dark haired woman only managed to nod to her remark. She hasn't said a word after introducing her name earlier. 

It's hard to stay calm in this situation, being in the same room as this person, but she's trying hard to maintain her cool. Every seconds that passed felt so long and she's barely hanging on. 

She's there for work, but that's the last thing on her mind. 

Maki pushed up her glasses and put the files in front of her, "So, let's go through the designs one more time before we start the meeting, okay? Ms. Eunbi?"

Eunbi nods again.

Maki opened the file and took out her designs. There were plenty of designs for the spaces inside the ski resort that they're going to renovate.

As she was busy sorting out the files, Eunbi couldn't keep her eyes off her.

She can't help it. 

She's so similar.

How can someone be so similar to Sakura?

How is this possible?

The bright eyes that sparkle when she talks, the sharp bridge of her nose, the pair of thin lips that make out the most beautiful smile, even their voices are similar.

Even if it has been 10 years, Eunbi still remembers. That deep voice.

"Is everything placed properly?" Maki suddenly asked in her deep voice.

Eunbi was snapped out of her daze immediately. The Japanese woman suddenly turned to face her and their gazes met.

"Two eyes, one nose and a pair of lips. I don't think there's anything that's missing on my face that can make you stare at me like that," she added with a chuckle. 

Eunbi gulped, "I-I am not...

"Do you always stare at people like that?" Maki asked with a cheeky smile. 

Eunbi looked away. She grabbed the cup of tea that was in front of her, and looked down, avoiding her gaze. 

Maki sensed that something was wrong. 

"Are you okay?" she asked. 

But Eunbi kept mum. 

"D-Did I go too far with my jokes? I'm just joking, Ms. Eunbi," she added. 

But the latter still didn't respond. She can't even lift her head to face her. She's really trying to contain her feelings but it feels like she's at her limit. 

And Maki sitting close next to her isn't helping. 

Eunbi kept staring at the cup in front of her, but she's at her limit. 

Tears were b in her eyes. 

Maki gulped, "Er.. Ms. Kwon Eunbi..."

Eunbi can't be there anymore. 

"I'm sorry..." she muttered. 

And then she stood up, grabbed her bag and left the room without saying anything else. 

Maki stood there, confused. 

"Ms. Eunbi..."

 

**

 

"What happened? Why was Ms. Kwon running away like that? What about the meeting?" asked Minju, puzzled. 

She went inside Maki's office and found the Japanese woman sitting alone at the guest table.

"Ms. Minju,"

"Yes?"

"Has anyone just stared at you and then started crying?" 

"What?" 

"I mean what does that mean? Am I too scary? Was I too forward with the way I talk?" 

Minju blinked her eyes in confusion, "What, you mean Ms. Kwon did that? Stares at you and cries?" 

"Is my look that shocking? Too pretty, that she got choked up in my presence?" Maki asked playfully. 

Minju looked at her in disbelief. 

"What do you think? Is it my visual?" 

Minju sighed, "I think I get it."

"You do?" 

"Yeah, sometimes I cried when I look into the mirror..." 

They looked at each other and then started laughing. 

"That's a good one, Ms. Minju! I should use that too!"

Minju chuckled, "But seriously, did you do something to her Ms. Maki? Ms. Kwon is a sweet person and she just got engaged, don't try anything to her."

"I didn't do anything! That's why I'm confused!" 

Maki let out a heavy sigh. 

"Look, can you arrange another meeting with Polaris? We need to settle the details and sign the deal soon."

Minju nods, "Okay, I'll call them."

 

**

 

"Guys, you don't have to do this for us aww," Chaeyeon said with a coo, looking at her friends across the table.

Chaeyeon and Eunbi were invited to join their friends, Yuri and Yena for dinner that evening. But it turned out that it wasn't just an ordinary dinner. The two girls had decorated their table with balloons and also a cake written, 'Congratulations Chaeyeon & Eunbi'. 

"But we want to! We want to celebrate your engagement!" Yena said, excited.

Yuri nods, "She kept bothering me about this, and I agree to it too. It's been a while since we gather like this."

"Well, thank you guys. We really appreciate this,” Eunbi said.

She smiled at them, a fake smile.

She didn’t want to be there. 

She’s not emotionally stable after her encounter with Togawa Maki earlier. But when Chaeyeon picked her up from her office, she couldn’t say no. So she sat there, forcing smiles and laughs, so that her friends won’t be disappointed. After all they prepared this for her and Chaeyeon.

Though deep inside, she can’t wait for it to be over.

Yena smiled, "I also invited Hyewon to come. She just got back from France a few weeks ago."

"I bet she's gonna flaunt her new body and hair. I saw her posts on Instagram and she's on fire," Chaeyeon chimed in. 

Yena nods, "True. I think she might be dating someone."

Yuri scoffed, “She’s always dating someone though. I don’t think her relationship lasts more than 3 months. That’s like the max limit. She's been like that since high school.”

Chaeyeon grinned, “Who says high school relationships won’t last? I mean, ahem, you’re looking at one.”

She looked at Eunbi with her silly grin. Eunbi smiled and pushed her fiancé’s cheek playfully.

Yena snorted, “But she wasn’t dating you in high school though. It was after college. Back then Eunbi was dating Sakura-

She paused when she felt the sharp glare from Yuri. Eunbi’s expression had changed too. She looked down and kept silent. Chaeyeon sighed and looked at her fiancé.

She wanted to hold he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter