It’s just chemistry

Our stories

The bell rings and Joohyun jumps in her seat. She hears someone snickering behind her and sees Sooyoung trying to hide her smile behind her hand.

“You good there, Joohyun?” her classmate asks.

Joohyun rolls her eyes, “I’m fine. The bell just surprised me.”

“Yeah? So you’re ready for chemistry class then?”

The mention of chemistry made Joohyun blush. Still, she tries to hide her coloring cheeks.

 “Of course, why wouldn’t I be?”

She gathers her things and makes her way through the door. She doesn’t want to be late.

Joohyun and Sooyoung makes their way to the chemistry room, half of which is already filled up with their other classmates.

Sooyoung offers her sit to Joohyun, but the latter declined saying they have to sit with their partners.

A knowing smile spreads across Sooyoung’s face. “Right, right. We wouldn’t want to be scolded by Miss Kim, no?”

Joohyun opens her book for some advanced reading before their professor arrives. She was only half a page in when the sit next to hers was pulled back.

She looks to her side and sees the person she may or may not be waiting for the whole day.

“Hi, Joohyun! Watcha reading?”

She couldn’t contain her smile.

“Oh, just for the lesson for today. I figured of getting bit of a head start.”

Her seatmate laughs. “Of course. As expected of the greatest student in school.”

Joohyun playfully rolls her eyes at the banter. “You know that’s not true. I’m only second to Seungwan.”

“Well, to me you’re the best.”

“Thanks, Seulgi.” Joohyun feels like she might explode.

 

 

To her dismay, but to everyone else’s relief, their chemistry class has been canceled. Joohyun was looking forward to this class all week, not because it’s her favorite, but because she’s partnered with Seulgi.

It’s the only class they have together so, yes, she is rather bummed she wouldn’t be able to spend two hours with her crush.

The look of disappointment must’ve been obvious that Seulgi asks her what’s wrong.

“Oh, nothing. It’s kind of a bummer since I studied last night for this,” Joohyun says.

“Well, you can use this time to rest. You’ve been studying too hard, ya know?”

“Yeah, maybe I will. See you around, Seulgi.”

The sadness in her voice may have been too concerning that, when Seulgi caught up to her, she was asked to hang out.

“I mean, if you don’t plan on doing anything. And also maybe to cheer you up a bit? We can go to that new café or maybe to a park? Wherever you want.”

Joohyun thinks she’s hallucinating because is that a blush on Seulgi’s face? She shakes the thought out of her head.

“Don’t you have practice today though?”

“No, I’m taking the week off. So, how about it? Wanna go on a date with me?”

Seulgi offers her a nervous smile and oh my God did Seulgi just asked me out on a date?!

“… a date?”

“Yeah. I, uh, I wanna cheer you up and, uhm, actually wanna get to know you more. If that’s okay with you.”

A beat of silence and then, “Okay. Let’s go on a date.”

Seulgi beams at her. “Yeah. Okay. Cool. A date. Yeah. We’re going on a date.”

Joohyun laughs at how adorable Seulgi is.

Who needs two hours of chemistry when Joohyun can now spend the whole afternoon with Seulgi?