One more sun to set

Our stories

A/N: This is in Seulgi's POV but I've also written one in Joohyun's POV. Let me know if you want to read Joohyun's side of this story.

Angst ahead!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Look, Hyun! The sky's purple!"

 

Seulgi says, pointing at the sky as the sun sets over the horizon. What was once a blue hue is now a splatter of purple with a bit of pink, orange, and red. It’s a sight to see.

 

"You always like looking at the sky. I never really bothered with it, you know? Not until you told me how pretty it is and why you love it so much.”

 

Seulgi thinks back to the days when they were just getting to know each other. She fondly remembers how Joohyun’s eyes sparkled under the setting sun when they first went to this place.

 

“It brings me peace,” Joohyun once said. “But also that I’m part of a big world. When everything feels too much for me, I just look up and I remember that what I’m feeling is temporary.”

 

She had the most beautiful smile Seulgi ever saw. "I'll do anything for you to keep that smile," Seulgi said to herself as she looked up and see the color splash over the horizon.

 

It was beautiful, but it doesn't come close to Joohyun. Not even a bit.

 

It was then that Seulgi wished she could paint the sky in any way Joohyun likes, using colors that her love adores so much—all just so she could be the reason for Joohyun’s smile. The smile that tugged at Seulgi’s heart and tripped her over, making her fall harder and deeper than she ever did before.

 

Just like before, something tugged at Seulgi’s heart again. But it’s not Joohyun’s smile anymore.

 

Slowly, she feels the tightening in her chest as tears begin to flow from her eyes. The sudden flash of her fondest memory hit Seulgi harder than she expected.

 

"Ah I'm sorry, Hyun. I didn't mean to cry. You know things like this always make me emotional."

 

She apologizes but is hurt when Joohyun doesn’t say anything. Joohyun doesn’t assure her that it’s okay, that Seulgi should cry until she feels alright. Her love doesn’t hold her the way she used to.

 

Joohyun remains silent and it pains Seulgi so much. She doesn’t blame her.

 

“I know how much you love this place, and it’s because of you that I learned to love it too,” Seulgi says as she calms down.

 

How could she not? It’s where they confessed their love for each other and promised to stay by each other’s side. It’s where they told their secrets, where shared their first kiss and their first night together; where they would find each other after every fight and make-up.

 

It holds so many of their memories together.

 

This place is a monument of their promise, of their love that crossed so many boundaries over the years they spent together. Yet Seulgi believes even the most wonderful sunset doesn’t compare to their devotion to each other.

 

She turns to Joohyun, who remains silent, but has the ghost of a smile.

 

"Are you tired?" Seulgi asks. Joohyun nods as a single tear roll down her cheek. Seulgi wipes it away and kisses her forehead.

 

"You should rest for a bit. We'll go home later, yeah?"

 

Seulgi knows what’s happening. She pushes down the lump forming in and stops the tears threatening to fall again.

 

Joohyun rests her head on her love’s shoulder and holds Seulgi’s hand, giving it a light squeeze. She’s still here.

 

Joohyun takes a deep breath and gathers as much strength as she can. She closes her eyes.

 

"You know how much I love the sky, but I hope you know it doesn't come close to what I feel for you. I love you, Seulgi. So much."

 

Joohyun’s words tear Seulgi’s heart apart. She tries to hold herself up and be strong for both of them.

 

She can’t. Not anymore.

 

Seulgi doesn’t stop her tears anymore. She lets them flow.

 

"I love you, too, Joohyun. More than anything," she says in between sobs.

 

Her love doesn’t say anything. Joohyun’s eyes remained close and the hand holding Seulgi’s own starts to loosen.

 

Joohyun’s breathing turns shallow and slows down. Then, there was nothing.

 

As the sun completely sets on the horizon, Seulgi loses her love.

 

 

 

End.