Eyes locked, hands locked

Our stories

I hope you enjoy this drabble! I appreciate any feedback, comment, and criticism :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seulgi likes watching people. No, not in a creepy way—more like observing them. She likes to watch how they talk with their friends versus how they speak with someone they like. How they act, what they do when they’re nervous. When they lie. She learns a lot about them because of her observations.

She knows it can make others feel uneasy when they know someone’s watching them, but she can’t help it. And it was so easy for her to do so. She’s a nobody after all. Well, that was until today.

Seulgi could feel a hundred pair of eyes on her. Could feel how they size her up, feel how they look at every breath she takes. She’s conscious now with every step she takes. They’re watching her, she knows. It was obvious. And it was all thanks to the girl holding her hand: Irene Bae.

You know the cliché. Miss Popular slash Miss School President slash Miss Head Cheerleader slash Miss Everyone in School Has a Crush on Me. Irene Bae is that girl. And for a second, Seulgi forgot why Irene Bae is holding her hand right now.

“You’re shaking,” Irene says to her, tightening her hold on the taller girl’s hand.

“Everyone’s staring.”

“Of course they are. You’re with me.”

“Yeah.” Irene looks at Seulgi and sees the nervousness in her eyes. “I’m sorry about this. You know how these people are—“

“How they are when it comes to you. Yeah, I know,” Seulgi gives her a kind smile.

The taller girl knows why the other students are like this. It’s not every day that The Irene Bae walks into school with anyone outside her clique, let alone hold hands while walking. Actually, this is the only time they’ve seen her hold hands with anyone at all. She didn’t even do that in her past relationships.

But Irene's relationship with Seulgi is different. They may be worlds apart, at least by school standards, but Irene knows they are the same.

She curses herself now and again for not knowing Seulgi earlier. For Irene, Seulgi was perfect. Yes, the girl may be clumsy, dorky, and think differently from others, but she’s also passionate, hardworking, and extremely caring. She knows the right things to say. Seulgi understands.

And Seulgi? She thinks of Irene Bae as the one who placed the stars in the sky. The other girl can be cold at times, scary even, but Seulgi sees through the stoic façade. She knows Irene is a warm person. Passionate and hardworking, just like her. Irene understands even when Seulgi doesn’t say anything.

Seulgi remembers this and is reminded of why they are together right now—of why she’s holding Irene’s hand. She looks over the other girl and feels her heart calm down. With Irene looking at her like that, Seulgi knows nothing else matters.

 

End.