Laundered Linen

AIX
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wendy tried to smooth out the creases in her white long sleeved shirt after taking her apron off. But the creases on her sleeves would not go away. Like the creases on her blazer after that night.

That night . . . the next morning . . .

Her eyes closed for a moment as images of Irene waking up with messy hair flashed in her mind like a movie. It was warm and the sun was in her eyes and she had thought she was dreaming. But she was not. There was a gap between curtains that allowed the morning sun through. The huge TV was sleeping. And so was Irene. Wendy had a moment to scan her beautiful countenance before those eyes fluttered open and stared.

“Good morning,” she whispered, not knowing why.

Those eyes blinked, widened and disappeared from sight. Irene had jolted upright so quickly that her neck might have suffered from whiplash.

“Why am I here?” Irene asked, sounding panicked.

“We were watching a movie, remember?”

Irene frowned. Then her expression cleared. “I remember.”

“And it looks like we fell asleep.”

“I was sleepy.”

“So was I. Why were you panicking?”

Irene shook her head. “I wasn’t panicking. I was surprised.”

“That’s how you react when you’re surprised?”

With a nod, Irene replied, “I’m easily surprised.” Finger pointing at Wendy. “Don’t even think of pranking me now that you know.”

Wendy raised her brows. “Think of pranking you? Me? Never.”

“Good.”

“RAWR!” Wendy roared suddenly as she lunged forward, eyes opening their widest.

Irene screamed. Then smacked Wendy’s arm in retaliation. “You!”

Wendy could only laugh . . .

“Earth to Wendy, Earth to Wendy, what are you laughing about?”

Yeri’s inquisitive look was printed across her face.

“Nothing.”

“That was definitely something.”

“It’s nothing to you.”

“Mmm,“ Yeri did not look convinced but left it at that. “So how was dinner with your dad?”

“It was alright.”

“Did anything exciting happen?”

Irene. “How exciting can a business dinner be?”

Yeri shrugged. “You never know. You might just meet someone interesting at these dinners. Someone rich. Someone powerful. Someone who will invest in your café and make it an instant success.”

“Aix is already successful. Our patrons are happy and we have so many regulars coming back to us because they love us.”

“Like Irene?”

Wendy chortled. And coughed.

Yeri narrowed her eyes and studied Wendy. “Something is up and you’re not telling. But I’m a mature adult. I won’t poke my nose where it isn’t wanted.”

Wendy applauded Yeri. “I’m impressed.”

Yeri huffed. “Bye. I’m going to wash the cups like a mature adult.”

=

It was Friday night. Finally. Waiting the past few days for her first date with Irene tonight had put her patience to the test, but fortunately for Wendy, she did not have to wait much longer.

I’m off work. Going over soon.

Wendy read the message and smiled.

Text me again when you’re on the way babe.

See you soon.

Wendy was staring at her phone, smiling at the thought of meeting Irene soon, when Yeri rushed into the kitchen.

“Boss!”

It was never a good sign when Yeri called her ‘Boss’. The first time it happened was when Yeri had spilled milk all over in the kitchen. The second time it happened was when Yeri scalded her hand with boiling water. The fourth time it happened was when Yeri could not find the keys to lock up the café. As it turned out, the keys were found hanging on the hook in the toilet - she had put them there so she would not run the risk of dropping them into the toilet bowl. And Yeri was wary of the risk because they had dropped into the toilet bowl previously, which accounted for the third time she called Wendy ‘Boss’.

“What happened?”

“It’s Sorim. She just called in sick.”

“Oh dear, is she very sick? Does she need help?”

Yeri shook her head. “Sorim said she has taken meds so she’ll be better with some rest.”

Wendy nodded, a sense of relief settling in. “I’ll call her tomorrow to check on her then.”

“But you . . .” Yeri trailed off.

“Ah.” Disappointment sank her heart as Wendy realised the implication of that. “It’s okay,” she said, putting on a smile even though her heart was sighing. “I’ll stay and cover the shift.”

“But your date with Irene . . .”

“Work is work. I have to cover the shift.” Wendy gave Yeri a thumbs up and winked. “Don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll explain it to Irene. She’ll understand.”

“You’re such a responsible boss. You’re my role model.”

“I’m honoured but I need to make a call.” Wendy gestured for Yeri to exit the kitchen as she called Irene with the other hand.

Please log in to read the full chapter