Carrot Cake

AIX
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yeri slumped against the counter with a pout. “We totally lost our chance to promote our café to intellectuals.”

“What are you talking about now?”

“Our pass to free promo just walked out the door.”

“Still hung up on that idea of yours?”

“It’s not every day a Miss Taro Milk Tea walks in here, you know.”

“Let it go, Yeri. Let it go.”

Yeri sighed with her whole body. “Whatever you say, Elsa.”

“Anna, be a dear and collect their cups.”

“Okay, bye.”

Wendy rolled her eyes at Yeri but couldn’t help grinning when the young lady did as she was told. Why in the world did she hire such a wild, sassy person?

Yeri returned shortly with the empty cups and dangled what looked like an I.D. card in front of Wendy. “I think the divine forces of coffee beans really want us to get free promo.”

“What’s this?” Wendy grabbed the card and looked at the photo I.D.. “Woah, she’s a beautiful picture.”

Yeri snorted. “Are you only realizing it now?”

“Where did you find it?”

“It was on the floor. She must have dropped it.”

“That’s not good.”

“Not good for her, but pretty good for us.”

Wendy pulled off her apron and grabbed her mobile phone.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m returning it to her.”

“Right now?”

“I might be able to catch her if she hasn’t gone too far.”

=

“Wait! Don’t go! Miss Irene!”

Irene stopped, one foot in the taxi, and looked towards the voice. A head of glossy, honey curls and an effulgent smile marked the woman who was running towards her. She squinted for a moment before recognizing that face. But why was the owner of Aix running after her?

“Here, you dropped this in the café.”

“Oh my, did I?” Irene took her employee’s pass from the owner and checked if it was hers. “Oh, it is mine, thank you. Thank you very much.”

“Take good care of it, sweetie. You wouldn’t want to lose such a good looking picture.”

Irene felt a blush coming on strong. “Thank you for coming all the way to return it.”

“Well, it’s my pleasure to help a beautiful woman.”

Irene cleared . “May I know your name?”

The sparkling pecans in the owner’s eyes locked on Irene’s. “My name is Wendy,” she said, a slight hint of a smile teasing the corners of her lips.

“Wendy,” Irene repeated. “Thank you, Wendy.”

“Miss, are you getting in or not?” the taxi driver asked, his tone tight and impatient.

Uncomfortable with how rough he sounded, Irene moved her foot back out. “I’m sorry. I’m not taking this ride.”

“Then you should have said so earlier, stupid woman.”

Irene bit back a retort and shut the door instead, glaring at the back of the taxi as it left.

“Er, sorry about your ride home, sweetie.”

“It’s okay, I’ll get another one.”

Wendy showed no sign of leaving as Irene attempted to get another taxi.

“I’m fine here. Don’t let me hold you up.”

“You can hold me up anytime, sweetie.” Wendy grinned. “I have time.”

“But what about your café?”

“My dear little Yeri will hold the fort, don’t worry about it. What’s more important is making sure you get on a taxi safely.”

“T-Thank you, Wendy.”

“So, where’s your friend? Did she leave before you?”

“Yes, she did.”

“Did you enjoy your drinks?”

“Yes.” Irene hesitated for a second before adding, “Your taro milk tea is very nice. I like it a lot.”

“I’m glad you like it. I made everything fresh and real. The taro, the boba, everything. Nothing but the best for my lovely customers. You know what? Since you like it so much, I’ll give you a treat, on the house, the next time you come,” said Wendy, winking with a bright smile. “How does that sound, sweetie?”

Irene smiled in relief as a taxi approached. “Thank you for your offer.”

“Here’s your taxi.” Wendy

Please log in to read the full chapter