Aix

AIX
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Cho Yonghae?”

“That’s Mister Cho Yonghae to you.”

“Cho-CEO-of-Jjinhan-Group-Yonghae?”

“You mean Mister Cho-CEO-of-Jjinhan-Group-Yonghae.” Joy’s immaculately groomed brows dipped into a severe frown. “Irene, don’t mess this up.”

“Why am I involved in the dinner meeting with all the bosses?”

“Is that a rhetorical question? Or do you really not know?”

It was Irene’s turn to frown. “I know how these things work. But I’m a junior sub-anchor. I’ve only been here for two months.”

“Either he’s a fanboy who can’t wait to get a selfie with his favourite newscaster or he’s in a hurry to get himself a wife and pop out a few kids to fill the heir pool.”

“Ha-ha-ha, very funny.”

“Anyway, you’re not supposed to know about this, alright? Don’t mention a word to anyone. I overheard it because I was slacking off when I wasn't supposed to. If it gets out, they might investigate and I'll be in trouble.”

“How would they know it was you when nobody knows where you were?”

“I don’t know how. But I do know not to leave anything up to chance. Never know when the universe might just collude to crush you to bits.”

Irene rolled her eyes. “I won’t tell anyone, I promise. And thanks for risking your precious life to tell me.”

“Now you’re mocking me. After everything I did for you.”

“Let me thank you with a big bow,” Irene said, taking a step back and bending her knees.

Joy grabbed her arms and stopped her from reaching the floor. “Irene, you .”

Shaking with laughter, Irene looked up into Joy’s big, round eyes. “I may be laughing, but I am thankful.

“Your sincerity is really drowning me here.”

“I’m so sincere that the drinks are on me today.”

“What drinks?”

“The drinks we’ll be having later.”

“But you always pay for drinks.”

“Oh, I thought you’d never notice.”

“Hey, I thank you for paying every single time.”

Irene laughed and patted Joy’s behind. “Do me a favour and look up a nice café to visit later, will you?”

“A café?”

“I don’t feel like soju today.”

“But you don’t drink coffee.”

“Cafés sell more than coffee.”

“True . . . well in that case, you’ve got the best person for the job. I know just the café for you today. Coincidentally, it opened on the first weekend you started this job.”

“It must be fate then. What’s this place called?”

Joy smiled. “Aix. It’s in Hongdae, so we don’t have to travel too far.”

Irene nodded. “Perfect.”

=

A gentle flick sorted out the tiny mess in her fringe. A slight tilt revealed the angled profile of her lightly blushed cheek, coral-coloured lips. Another tilt for the other side. Back to the front. Irene stared at her own soft, brown eyes in the mirror and smiled at herself.

You can do it, Irene. You’ll do well today too.

This silently spoken mantra had accompanied her through the tests, exams, interviews leading to this job. Also, each day of the two months she had been working as the junior newscaster of SBK News. This much coveted job was her dream come true, but the pressures of holding it were thick and mildly suffocating like the heat that wrapped around her in the sauna. Without her mantra, she would probably have collapsed under the sheer weight on her shoulders.

“Irene, are you baking a cake in there?” Joy’s voice sailed right through the bathroom door as though it wasn’t there.

Irene took one last look in the mirror. Neat yet casual brown hair in a ponytail, check. Fringe well spread across her forehead, check. Brown eyebrows drawn in natural style, check. Mascara-enhanced eyelashes, check. Cheeks lightly blushed, check. Highlighted nose bridge, check. No lipstick stains on her teeth, check.

Satisfied, Irene stepped back and smoothed down her muted-turquoise suit. Outwardly, she was a picture of perfection. Inwardly, she was only human. But she would be a human who did her very best for her job. There was no reason to doubt herself.

She was ready.

“Wow, you look really good,” Joy said in a rush.

Irene

Please log in to read the full chapter