–––––

[ V V S her diamonds ]

 

It’s crazy, the things you learn about the people you like. 

 

Seungwan remembers a story Seulgi shared from her Art History class when she learnt it. Georgia O'Keeffe unknowingly catches the attention of a brooding photographer when she sends some charcoal drawings to a friend in New York. Alfred Stieglitz spends an eternity marvelling from afar before finding the courage to correspond with her. From 1915 to 1946, an infinite number of pages were exchanged between the two twentieth-century artists. When they finally meet, he’s fifty-two and critically acclaimed, and she’s twenty-eight and still rising. Their relationship is strung on moonstricken foolery; their marriage drips with ragged passion.

 

. . . . .

 

Just like Stieglitz, absolutely besotted with the delicacy that is O’Keeffe, there are tiny things about Bae Joohyun that make her heart ripple in staccato. 

Bae Joohyun who comes from a family of organised crime. 

Bae Joohyun who chews girls up and spits them out. Just for fun.

 

It’s so endearing the way her eyebrow can never seem to sit still when she’s talking, or when something piques her interest; the way her accent tunes into the one from her hometown when she’s rushed or flustered. Those rumours hold up at university about her double life, but Seungwan was so wrong to ever believe that– gangsters don’t hold your heart captive when they get giggly-excited over a maple leaf pile in autumn, or when they play in the winter snow like a five-year-old.

If there’s anything she’s learnt about this gangster princess, it’s that she’s… not very good at being one.

 

Seungwan belatedly realises she’s fallen hard. She’d fallen the moment she made it her mission to name every constellation behind that icy, crystalline glare. She can deny it to her heart’s content, but she’s just a giraffe in sunglasses and a coat trying to get past the bouncers at a polar bears only disco.

 

And for as long as Joohyun will continue to spend time with her, Seungwan will enjoy every moment she gets to unlock the layers of her she tries her hardest to hide.

 

. . . . .

 

Cupid, don't be lazy. Pick up your bow and arrow and help these dumb kids figure it out.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . .