Chapter 3

Breathe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe you’ve grown so much, Jungkook-ah. It’s as if you’re not that boy who would cry every time I had to leave.” All of them laughed.

“It was because I liked you a lot, hyung. You would always tell me stories or play with me even though you couldn’t enter my cage.” Jungkook noticed that Taehyung’s smile became a little stiff after mentioning his past living conditions. He looked at Namjoon to see if he noticed too. Both wanted to know what was going through the man’s head. Was it possible that mentioning some parts of the past was as painful for Taehyung as it was for them? After the psychological and emotional help given to Ahn Sungki’s victims by some psychologists, most of them could talk about the horrendous episode of their lives. Taehyung’s reaction was slightly confusing to the hybrids. Taehyung was their light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe it was the fact that his father was the culprit of people’s suffering that was bothering him. They all knew that little Taheyung was attached to his father. However, none of them knew that the scar, his father had left him, was much deeper than they thought.

“Good to know you don’t cry anymore because I would hate myself for making you cry now.”

“You have to leave?” Namjoon, who understood the meaning of those words, asked.

“Yes, I need to go home and send Jimin the pictures.

“If you’re a vet, then why are you working as a photographer for Jimin?” Jungkook asked, curious.

“The one, Jimin normally works with, couldn’t make it and he asked for my help,” Taehyung explained. “I also came because I was curious. I always wanted to come here, but I didn’t know if I would be recognised or not. I passed by a few months ago, but I couldn't go in because a group of protestants appeared. I went home because I didn’t want to be associated with them. After that day, I didn’t have the opportunity or the courage to come again.”

“You’ll always be welcomed here, Taehyung.”

“Thanks, hyung. I need to go now.” Both hybrids decided to follow him to the building's exit.

“Don’t you have a car, Taehyung?” Namjoon asked, curious.

“I don’t like to drive that much.” Taehyung smiled to hide his discomfort towards that topic.

“Could I have your number, hyung?” Jungkook asked. “I won’t be very productive if I don’t know whether you got home safe or not.” Taehyung smiled at his cuteness.

“Of course. We can even have dinner one of these days.” Taehyung took Jungkook’s phone and put his number on it.

“I hope to be included in that dinner.”

“Obviously, Namjoon hyung. We can create a group chat and include Jimin. He has always wanted to meet you since we were kids. Although the circumstance in which we met wasn’t great, I would always talk about you. He even got jealous of Jungkook once because he was all I was talking about.” They laughed and stopped by the receptionist.

“It was good to see again, Taehyung.” Namjoon hugged him briefly.

“I hope to see you more often.”

“Don’t forget to send me a message when you get home.” Jungkook also hugged Taehyung. “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to contact us. You have my number and can call me whenever you want.”

“I should be the one saying that to my dongsaeng, but I appreciate the care.” Taehyung waved at them and walked towards the exit door.

“Hyung, it is normal that I feel uneasy for letting him go home alone?” Jungkook asked, not understanding his current feelings.

“Yes, Jungkook. When you were kids, you had a close-knit relationship. You were separated in your childhood, but you never forgot him. When we were freed, you wouldn’t let go of the teddy bear Taehyung had given to you when you first met. You would always dry because you wanted Taehyung by your side. With time you started to get used to his absence, but you never forgot him. Each time you had reached one of your goals, we would go to your house and look at Taehyung’s picture. With a smile, you would talk about your achievements and I talked about how proud I was. Looking at that picture was as if Taehyung had been by your side in those important moments of your life. He never stopped being a part of your life despite his absence. From what I was able to observe, he also never forgot us. For me, it was as if we had gone back in time when you were only children by watching you talk. If I hadn’t known your story, I would say that you were childhood friends. We, hybrids, have stronger feelings than others. You were apart for so long that you don’t want him out of your sight, fearing that he’ll disappear again. 

“I’m afraid, hyung. We didn’t spend much time together, but I would anticipate every visit. I tried to enjoy our time together as much as possible. All of you treated me well, but you were always on alert and cautious of every action so that we wouldn’t be punished. Taehyung was free. He acted so freely and that would fascinate me. No smile was small. No laughter was repressed. When I was with him, I could be a normal child. Now that I found him, I don’t want to lose him again. I suffered so much when he was taken away. I don’t want to feel the same pain again.” Namjoon understood what the younger was feeling. Taehyung was an important person to Jungkook. Namjoon witnessed Jungkook’s pain and sufferings. He didn’t want to see it again. He knew Jungkook wouldn’t be able to manage to lose Taehyung one more time. Jungkook might have grown up, but sometimes he still saw him as the ten-year-old scared boy. He wasn’t Namjoon’s bodyguard only because he was the best, but because Jungkook needed reassurance. Everyone had the impression that the youngest of the group was well adapted to the new life, but Namjoon knew better. He knew that Jungkook felt safe by his side. Jungkook wasn’t always by his side, but knowing he could run to the older for reassurance at any time comforted the younger. “I was so happy when you told me that you saw Taehyung among the reporters. Hugging was one of the best things in the world. Did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter