Chapter 1

Breathe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul.

It’s the capital and the biggest metropolis of South Korea with almost 10 million habitants. Among those millions of people was Kim Taehyung, a 25-year-old adult. A height of 1.76 m. A man with smooth and sun-kissed skin. His manly features were overshadowed by the elegance of his walk and his smile that would make people gasp, surprised by his beauty.

“You’re really lucky it’s my day off, otherwise I would be able to help you.” The deep voice with a playful tone caught the attention of many people.

“I know and thanks a lot for your help.” Jimin, the best friend of the man who was catching everyone’s attention, said.

“To be honest, I’m a little anxious. I’ll see someone from the New Species closely.” Taehyung couldn’t hide his excitement and anxiety in his voice.

“I can imagine. After all, you had to leave the country for your safety after you helped them to be free.” The glow in his eyes was shortly replaced with sadness just by remembering what his father dared to do to those people. At that time, the police didn’t manage to keep his identity anonymous because a police officer sold that information to a journalist for a good sum of money. Because of the person’s greed, his picture appeared in many newspapers and many channels on television. He was harassed by people who admired him for going against his father to do the right thing and by people who believed that the thirteen-year-old boy was his father’s accomplice. His aunt decided to leave the country so that his nephew wouldn’t suffer for his father’s bad decision.

Therefore, Kim Taehyung spent the majority of his teen years in Spain with his aunt who has a Korean restaurant in Madrid. Although he was recognised at the beginning because of the scandal in South Korea, Taehyung still had a peaceful life in the land of la siesta. Jimin knew what his friend, just a few months younger than him, went through because he was the one who accompanied Taehyung to the police station. Despite being in different countries and the seven-hour time difference, they always kept in touch. They would text each other every day and had promised each other to facetime at least once a week, a promise that was surprisingly kept. Jimin was the one who kept Taehyung informed about everything that involved those who were called New Species.

“Are you still far away, Taehyung-ah?” Taehyung was brought back to reality by his friend’s voice.

“I can already see the building.” The New Species’ headquarters. When the victims of Ahn Sungki were set free, the authorities didn’t know what was about to hit them. One thing was to watch people in cages through the video made by the scientist’s son. Another completely different was to see with their own eyes the physical and mental abuse of those people. Only Jimin and people who participated in the rescue knew that Taehyung, a child with only 13 years, was the one who convinced the victims to trust them enough to cooperate. All of them knew the little boy who would visit them as much as he could and try to lift their mood. After listening to Taehyung’s words, the victims collaborated with the officers and the doctors. That was the last day Taehyung saw those he helped as much as he could before gathering the courage to go against the man who looked after him after his mother’s death. His aunt tried to cut any connections that her nephew had with her cruel brother’s actions. Taehyung only knew what happened to the New Species because of the news and Jimin.

In front of Taehyung was the headquarters of the New Species. The people involved in the scandal of genetic modifications were from several countries. The scandal shocked the mondial population so much that the countries involved were forced by the ONU and UNICEF, since children and teenagers were involved, to pay an indemnity to the victims. Taehyung discovered later on when he was testifying against his father that there were other buildings where the same experiments were being done. During the period where the government was discussing what to do, the victims gathered together and discussed what to do. Due to the experiments done to them, they knew that all the instincts, which were normally dormant by human consciousness, were awakened and couldn’t be neglected again. Even the therapist, who examined them to know how deep the mental sequels were, could affirm that. Because of that, several laws could be broken by those whose mind was no longer controlled only by the human consciousness, but also by the instincts of the animals whose DNA the victims had in them.

Among each other, they chose who would represent them. With the idea of creating a new system for those who had their genetic material modified, they presented themselves in front of the authorities. Due to the pressure made by the world and the Korean population to rectify the errors of the scientists, the Korean government accepted.

It was in that building, that was rebuilt over the years, where the representatives of the New Species and the Korean government discussed and accepted the new laws, applicable to the New Species.

“I’m in front of the headquarters, Jimin.”

“Great. I already notified them that you would come, you just have to go to the reception balcony and tell your name. Thank you once again for replacing our photographer. It would be a disaster if we didn’t have a picture of the new leader of the New Species in our article.”

“Everything for you, hyung. You know that’ll always help if I can. Could you tell me on which floor it is?”

“The conference is on the fifth floor. I’ll wait for you by the lift.” Jimin promised.

“Thank you.” The call ended and Taehyung entered the building. He could feel some pairs of eyes on him but decided to concentrate on the decoration. He walked towards the reception balcony and smiled kin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter