Part 4

Lonely Love

 

It was silent, with the exception of the hum of AJ’s car, as he drove back to our apartments. Honestly, the silence isn't that bad… until I looked at my hands and feel sad. I’m alone. I really have no one now. I felt a tear roll down my face.

“You okay?” AJ asked, breaking the silence for the first time.

“I don’t honestly know.” I said. Before I could stop myself, I added, “I wanted to be alone, now I am and I hate it.” I find myself choking on all my contradictions, on my tears.

“You aren’t alone.” He said, barely a whisper. “You have me… I want to be there, if you would let me.”

Everything grew quiet, again. It stayed that way until we got home. AJ walked me to my door, although, it wasn’t necessary.

“Can I come in for a bit?” AJ asked. “I don’t want you to be alone right now. It hurts more that way…”

I agreed but I didn’t want to bother him. I don’t need people to pity me. I am strong; I can hold up myself. “I’m tired. I want to sleep.”

“Please?”

“Why?” I asked, losing control of my feelings. “Why do you care? We only met yesterday! Aren’t you supposed to be at Columbia anyways? Why are you even here?”

“Lia, look at me.” He said, calmly. He placed a gentle hand on my face and forced me eyes to focus on him. “I know you are hurt. I know you want to distance yourself from people. I know you are afraid. I know it’s hard to trust right now.”

“I don’t need pity, AJ.” I said. I tried to push him away but he proved to be stronger than I thought. “I just want to sleep.”

“Are you afraid?” he asked. I didn’t reply. “If you are afraid, my dear, that I'd be the courage that you lack. You don’t have to worry. I want to be here. I want to be what you need. I want to be with you.”

He led me inside my apartment and pulled to me sit down beside him on the couch. I couldn’t say anything. I couldn’t do anything. This boy, this man really did control me. I can’t break away. I didn’t want to. I snuggled closer to his side as he draped an arm around me.

“Trust me?” he asked, lightly rubbing my arm and sending chills down my spine. Sai was never like this. He never cared this much. AJ really was so much better.

“Promise you won’t leave me?” I said weakly.

“Then, may I hold you as you fall asleep?” he replied. “I promise I won’t do anything.”

I nodded. I have a feeling this new love is a love that will last forever.