Part 3

Lonely Love

 

            Outside the club were about a couple dozen people, dressed in very revealing clothing, waiting to get in.

            “Somehow, I do not think this is your image.” AJ said, noting the people and the area.

            “I prefer to stay home but my sister drags me out with her and friends.” He nodded in understanding as we walked up to the bouncer. “Hey, Todd, which PR are they in this time?”

            “Not so much as a hello? I see how it is.” Todd replied. Todd was like my older brother. He was always there for me when I needed some muscle to back me up and he’s there for me when I don’t want to wait in line for a ridicules club. “Why should I even let you in?”

            “What I am supposed to say?” I asked then raised my voice really high. “Oh Todd, have you gotten more handsomely muscular when I was away?”

            “Okay, that is just plain creepy.” He said pushing me and AJ inside the door. “Third room on the left and do not cause any trouble, ya hear?”

            “Yes, dad.” I replied, starting to walk towards the private party rooms “Come on, don’t get lost. They eat little boys like you for breakfast around here.”

            “I am almost afraid to ask.” He said but followed me anyways.

            In the room, the girls were surprisingly more dressed than anyone else in the building. They were laughing and throwing pretzels at one another while the guys lazily drank their beers. Although everyone stopped what they were when we came in. A loud roar of greetings occurred then we were ignored again. We sat down somewhere in the crowd and no sooner that our bottoms touched the seat, some girl was making a move on AJ. I tried not to get mad after all, we were only friends. And AJ seemed to enjoy himself.

            After what seemed to be an hour, but really a few minutes, I realized how out of place I am. I've always been alone when I'm surrounded by friends. I wonder sometimes why I bothered to come to these parties to sit there and not talk to anyone. I wished Sai was here. He’d usually give me some attention. I hadn’t said anything out loud but my wish came true.

            Sai walked in… with a blonde chick in his arms. My jaws dropped. My vision clouded with anger. I grabbed my purse and stormed out of the room away from everyone.

            “Oh .” I heard Sai say before he ran out after me. It wasn’t until we were outside with less noise before I turned around to confront him. “Look, baby, I’m-“

            “Stop.” I said taking a deep breath. “Why? And I can do without your fluffy excuses”

            “It’s just I’m a guy. And I have needs that you won’t provide and…”

            “So you’ve been doing gods know what with some chick while trying to hit me up.” I said holding back my tears. “Thanks, Sai, nice to know I mean so much to know.”

            “You do mean a lot to me!” he countered. “Why the hell do you think I didn’t leave you yet!”

            “Is that how you see it? Are you that forced in this relationship?”

            “Yes- no, I don’t know, okay? You just expect so much from this and I don’t know.”

            “Tell me, would you do what it takes to move my hollow life along? I'd like to think that you will. Right now, I can’t tell. I wanted you to help me not feel so alone and now, I can pretend but I can guarantee that what you see is not reality.” I said having a hard time trying to control my emotions.

            “How far is far enough, Lia? Everybody sleeps at night. Everybody needs a crutch, I know.” He dragged a hand down his face. “But couldn’t good be good enough?  'Cause nothing doesn't ever not change but nothing ever changes that much. I can’t change that much!”

            “I don’t think you ever tried.”

            “You didn’t, either. You are like an emotionless doll. I swear, you're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul.” With that he started to walk away. I cried. I couldn’t hold back anymore.

            “Tell me one thing.” I whispered. “Who is she?”

            “Rumor has it, she's the one I'm leaving you for.” He walked off, not once turning back.

 Through the wind and the fog, I stand as hard as stone, in a place I can't rise above. I am alone again. We were over. I know my heart will never be the same, but I'm telling myself I'll be okay. I was too caught up with my emotions to realize that there was someone else here.

“Come on, let’s get you home.” AJ said, wrapping a protective arm around my shoulder.