Part 1

Lonely Love

 

Sometimes being having money has its advantages… like now, for instance. I took in a deep breath. I smiled, looking around my new apartment. It was empty except for a bunch of unopened boxes but that will change pretty soon. This is going to be great. It’s my first year of college and I’m not stuck in a tiny dorm room that I am supposed to share with a complete and total stranger. I’ve always liked my space. I’ve always been sort of a loner. But I am perfectly fine with that. I started to unpack and make my new home homier when I heard a knock on my door.

I went to open it and found an extremely surprising sight. I saw my boyfriend, Sai, standing there with a bouquet of yellow roses and a cheesy grin on his face. He looked more sophisticated that I have ever seen him before.

“And to what do I owe this honor?” I asked in curiosity.

“Am I not allowed to visit my girl in her new home?” he replied.

“I'm not stupid. I can read between the lines.”

“Why do you always think that I want from you?” he said, aggravated. “Honestly Aquilia, can’t you have more trust in me?”

“Depends. Can you keep your hands and other body parts to yourself?” I questioned.

Sai growled. “Fine.” He mumbled. “Can I come in now? You are probably the only girl I know who would make her boyfriend stay outside after he went out of his way to come see you.”

I arched an eyebrow at his comment. That is definitely the one thing I do not like about him. Everything has to be about him and how much he has to do to be with me. I knew that from the start.  I knew he was no good, but he could do some fancy talking. That’s how I fell for him.

            “Oh, stop your complaining.” I replied. I lightly pushed him inside. He grumbled something else that was inaudible to me. I decided to let that one go.

            After about an hour of unpacking and talking, Sai got bored. He left saying that he had better things to do. I gave him a questioning look as he walked out my door. I honestly do not understand him sometimes. How can he always act like that towards me but then turn around and be extremely friendly to any girl walking down the street? I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. I shouldn’t be thinking about things like that because it is only going to bring me down.  I had way too much to do, such as unpacking and organizing everything I own. I sighed and got to work.

           

            Knock, knock.  

            I snapped to attention. I glanced at the clock and did a double take. Who could it be at this hour? I wondered. I opened the door to see someone who looks very familiar but I was not sure who he is.

            “Can I help you?”

            “Uh, hi.” He said with a heavy Korean accent.  “My name is AJ and I… uh… I live next door…”

            I waited for him to get pass his nervousness and continue.

            “I just moved in next door and I kinda don’t know where anything is…” AJ blurted. I giggled. AJ looked confused. He was cute in the lost puppy kind of way. He certainly is nothing like Sai.

            “Sorry,” I said, “I don’t think I can be much help. I just moved in earlier today.”

            “Oh…” he said scratching his forehead trying to come up with something to say. “Then… uh… would you… um… like to… I don’t know… explore me?”

            I gave him a weird look. “Excuse me? Explore you? What?”

            “I mean- look around here or I don’t know!” he was flustered. “I’m sorry, English is hard.”

            I had to laugh again. He really was adorable. “You mean check out the area?”

            “Yeah…”

            “Now?”

            “Yeah…”

            “But it’s like…” I glanced at my clock. “Holy Siwon, it’s flipping midnight.”

            “Siwon?” AJ asked.

            “Super Junior’s Siwon.” I explained. “My sister is in love with him and I kinda caught her favorite phrase…” AJ looked at me weird. Only then did I realize he most likely know nothing about Super Junior or K-Pop…oops?

            “I think hyung would be glad to know he has fans everywhere.” AJ mumbled in half Korean and half English. I stared at him, trying to figure out what he said. “Do you listen to them? Super Junior, I mean.”

            “Sometimes?” I glanced at my clock again. “Hate to be rude, but I work at 8 tomorrow morning, so I need sleep like now.”

            Right as he was going to say something, my phone rang. It was Sai. “Hello?” I gave AJ and apologetic look. He nodded in understanding.

            “Who be dis?” Sai said.

            “Are you drunk?” I replied slightly disgusted.

            “I don’t know.” He slurred. “I feel woozy.”

            “Go to bed, Sai.” I sighed and hung up on him. “Sorry, bout that.” I grumbled to AJ, putting my phone back in my pocket. “But yeah, I really need to get to bed.”

            “Um, how about dinner tomorrow? Or lunch, or whenever you get off work?” AJ asked. He really was persistent.

            “Maybe?” I questioned myself more than I am him. “I mean- I don’t know. I- I have to go. Ask me again tomorrow.” I started to close the door.

            “Wait.” He said, putting a hand on the door frame preventing me from closing it, unless I wanted to smash his fingers. “Can I ask your name?”

            My cheeks flushed with heat. “Oh, it’s Aquilia, or Lia.” I said slightly embarrassed.

            “See you tomorrow, Lia.” He grinned and left.

            I quickly slammed my door shut and slid down against it. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Did I want to see him again? He is a lot nicer than Sai…and cuter… but that doesn’t mean it’s right, right? Maybe I could- WAIT! I shook my head. Let’s get this straight. I have a boyfriend whose name is Sai. And I am considering to go out for dinner with my new neighbor to be friendly, not for any other reason. After a few moments, I finally convinced myself that that was true and got up to go to bed.