Insomnia

Summer in Okinawa

They returned to the homestay at midnight, both feeling exhausted. Tzuyu went to her room without saying much, and so did Sana. They knew exactly what they were feeling, and they would rather not speak of. 

 

Sana spent the rest of the night smoking on the balcony. Sana smokes too much, this everyone complained, but Tzuyu was different. When they were at the restaurant, Tzuyu just sat and watched her. Tzuyu didn’t look at her merely out of curiosity, her eyes were intense and heartfelt. It was as if she had a thousand questions she daren’t ask Sana. 

 

The smoke escaped from Sana’s lips easily unlike the words she wanted to tell Tzuyu. 

 

As soon as she closed the door, Tzuyu fell on her knees and sighed. The fact that Sana was only a thin wall apart from her has stopped her from falling asleep. She walked to the wall, hesitating and eventually leaned her ear against it. Tzuyu could hear Sana’s heavy breathing, and she could tell from the sound that Sana was smoking again.

 

- Sana.

Tzuyu couldn’t fight the urge to say her name. 

- Tzu..Tzuyu? 

Sana stuttered. Why is she still up at this hour? 

- I can’t sleep. 

Tzuyu whined. 

- Are you homesick already? It’s only the first day! 

Sana joked. 

- Can I sleep with you? 

Tzuyu mumbled. Silence. The thought of being rejected hit her in an instant. 

- Yes, come over. 

Sana said, panic could be heard in her voice. 

 

Sana’s room was small and warm. It was filled with scented candles, supposedly to dilute the sickening smell of cigarettes. 

- Sorry, the smell is probably going to make you throw up. 

Sana scratched her head apologetically. Tzuyu shook her head, implying that she wouldn’t mind, when her eyes widened at the sight of Sana wearing a black slip dress. It embraced her curves perfectly, and there was a little ribbon to untie. 

 

Now this was getting out of hand. 

 

- Where should I…I mean I can...I...

Tzuyu failed miserably at completing her sentence. 

- Here, sleep right next to me. 

Sana suggested. Tzuyu obediently followed while her face was heated. 

- Do..do you want to leave the light or?

Sana looked at Tzuyu, who was trying hard to avoid her. ‘What have I gotten myself into’ Tzuyu cried inside.