Mixed feelings

Summer in Okinawa

Tzuyu hated the winds. Hated how the sun was shining, how the ocean was sparkling and how the strangers were happy while her world had collapsed. She hated how things weren’t the same for her without Sana. 

 

- Do you smoke? 

The driver asked, pulling out a silver packet of cigarettes from his shirt pocket, one that is identical to Sana’s. 

- Yes thank you. 

Tzuyu took it from his hand. 

- Here you go. 

He took out a lighter from the other pocket and gave it to Tzuyu. 

- This brand seems popular, isn’t it? 

Tzuyu asked him. 

- Yeah, we smokers call it the local’s specialty. 

The driver laughed at his own comment. She started to taste the cigarette. Sana’s lips must have the same taste. 

 

Tzuyu arrived at the beach when the sun was about to set. The sky was tranquil and gorgeous as always. It never changed, and so did the spot where the two of them used to sit. 

She stood there and cried, just like a little child. She blamed the dust that the winds brought.

- Hey, hey, why are you crying? 

A familiar voice said aloud. Tzuyu couldn’t tell if it was a hallucination. Through her eyes that were brimmed with tears, she saw Sana standing. The other girl had a bright smile on her face just like how Tzuyu pictured. 

- Are you real? 

Tzuyu asked, still in doubt. 

- I’m here. I’m real, you believe me yet? 

Sana replied as she hugged Tzuyu. She wrapped her arms around Tzuyu’s slim waist, while Tzuyu's arms wrapped around her neck. 

- Why would you leave me so abruptly? Can you imagine how scared I was? I’m never going to forgive you. I’ll choke you to death. 

Tzuyu grumbled softly. 

- Do it.

Sana giggled. 

- Oh yeah? 

Tzuyu giggled as well. 

- I'll explain to you when we get back, don't you worry.

Sana said. 

- You better. And don’t do this again. 

Tzuyu sighed, partly out of frustration and partly of relief. 

- Yeah. 

Sana nodded. 

- ‘Yeah’ is not enough!

Tzuyu furrowed her eyebrows. 

- I promise. 

Sana smiled sweetly. Tzuyu didn’t question her any further. Simply because there was no need to. Maybe all that they needed was time and space. 

 

They walked along the beach, dazed in deep thoughts. The sky was falling into darkness, and the ocean looked like it was dancing a Valse.