Lost

Summer in Okinawa

Once the light disappeared, all that remained was a pitch black. Though Tzuyu couldn’t see anything, she could feel Sana’s body next to hers. She could picture her small face, pouty lips and smooth hair, the slip dress and the ribbons. 

- Hey, you’re asleep? 

Sana poked Tzuyu gently. 

- Yeah. 

Tzuyu held her laugh and replied, turning around to face the other girl. She could tell Sana was staring at her lips. 

- You ok? 

Sana asked her. 

Tzuyu hummed, holding one hand up. Half of her wanted to touch Sana, while half of her was afraid. 

 

- Touch me. If you want to. 

Sana said, realizing that Tzuyu had just fallen asleep. 

 

Sana sat on the bed and through her half closed eyes, she saw Tzuyu sleeping. She wasn’t used to having someone next to her early in the morning. She could look at Tzuyu forever, and she could fall for this girl again and again. But there might not be a second chance. 

 

Tzuyu woke up at noon. A bad feeling struck her as she quickly tossed the blanket, Sana wasn’t here, instead there was a small handwritten note. 

 

I’m taking a walk on the beach, don’t mind me. Your breakfast is ready.

 

The note only made Tzuyu more anxious. She wanted to call Sana, but remembered that they hadn't exchanged phone numbers. ‘For God’s sake where are you’ she muttered under her breath, grabbed her jacket and put it over while running out the door. Tzuyu ran as if it was the death of her, as if behind her the world was slowly falling apart. Sana is her new world. The only world she needs to protect. 

 

- Taxi! I need a taxi! 

Tzuyu hopped on a taxi that was parked near the road. 

- Where are you going ms? 

The driver asked. 

‘It must be the beach last night’ Tzuyu searched in her memories. It has the shortest distance. 

- To the closest beach please. 

She told him with a faint smile. 

 

- Sana, Sana, Sana! 

Tzuyu rolled the car windows down and shouted at the top of her lungs, again and again. But there was no answer. She tried to find Sana's bright smile in those unfamiliar faces on the streets.