Until When

Who Do I Love?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Those who bend don’t break’.

It was something Ahyeong religiously believed in i.e. in order to survive in this war of life one has to bend down in front of the powerful. In short, this world belonged to those who had the power over everything like dictating the terms for pawns like her so it was beyond her control to ever go against them without breaking down.

 

No matter how hard she tries, she will still be a weakling in front of her family and Baekhyun while they like always will have the upper hand. It was always a cruel world to begin with but does it also mean that it was fair for the weaker ones to live under the tyranny of these powerful people.

Irony was, she herself belonged to the same clan as them but the universe failed to equip her with any power instead made her the punching bag for everyone to vent their frustration out on.

 

 

She twirled the pen between her fingers, her gaze planted on the papers scattered before her eyes. Sighing through her nose, she arranged them before putting it inside the manila folder.

Even though she has been used to bending down in front of her others but sometimes it irked her for being so docile. It makes her feel like she lacks the spine- her courage, conscience and pride.

 

The very belief of hers has somehow become bane of her existence and for some reasons; she couldn’t stop herself from questioning it. Was surviving enough? Even if she’s surviving without fail most of the times she doesn’t feel alive anymore as if something inside her has died long ago and all that was left behind was her corpse. Was it really worth it to live like a coward?

She could see it in the eyes of them, the cockiness, the victory, the content when she let them crush her self-esteem willingly. Every time when it happened, it killed her. What if she just stand for herself once just like she always wanted to and hurt them too, badly enough so that they wouldn’t dare lay a finger on her next time. No matter how much she wanted to stand up for herself, the consequences that followed, scared her to the bones. It was a futile attempt to even voice her opinion let alone fight them with zero chance of winning.

 

Her dreams and aspirations wanted her to survive while her desire to end things all at once without looking back or a single hint of fear which in turn can also mark the end of her.

 

She was aware of her parent’s ways, even though she hasn’t gone through the worst yet; she has witnessed their enemy’s fates. It was more like a teaser for her or a plain warning- if she ever tried to go against them, there won’t be any Ahyeong left in this earth.

Unfortunately, death at her parent’s hands was something she was never keen about. The trauma and fear in the eyes of those people still haunts her, even thinking about it makes her feel nauseated.

 

Her marriage with Baekhyun was more like a pass, for her to escape from the claws of her parents as well as a protection card if she was to ever defy her parents but she fell in love. She was naïve to think, that one day her knight in shining will come to save her but in real world, fantasy like those never exist. If only she have not had those dreams, perhaps she would have been more realistic and the chances of her getting hurt would have been low. If only, she never let herself deluded once again to think she deserved a loving family too.

 

She loved Baekhyun, no matter how much she neglected the truth initially she had fallen harder than she imagined but she hated it. She hated how she was the only one who fell in love. After what he has done to her, is it even possible for her to love him. Any sane woman would hate him so why she couldn’t.

There was a part of her that wanted some sort of revenge. She could have hurt him the same way he did but her promise to his mother always stood in her way. Unlike Baekhyun, she stood by her words and so with her belief. Also, even if she broke that promise, what are the chances that she was going to survive the wrath of him? It was very unlikely of him to let her go unharmed. If he can trap her in his web then he could do anything to show her where she belonged.

Rebelling was never going to be her wild card and so was being tamed at their hands.

Those who bend don’t break but ironically she was broken in every way despite her bending down on her knees for years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Speak” Baekhyun spoke as soon as he settled down on his own chair, his ruffled hair and clothes, tired face and droopy eyes laced with sleepiness guilt tripped Ahyeong but she braved herself to ignore those signs. Also she didn’t know when will be the next time she’s going to see him especially when he was barely home.

 

Taking a deep breath, Ahyeong placed the duffel bag she brought along, on the desk. Baekhyun raised his left brow in question, scrutinizing her every move. Ahyeong’s heart paced like a bullet train, every ounce of courage that she had initially waived off under his scowling gaze.

 

“One million dollar in cash” She answered trying her best not to stutter.

 

Baekhyun looked at her slightly appalled making her confused. Did she make some mistake while reading the agreement? She clearly remembered, it said -she was supposed to pay him one million dollar as rental to live in this house, which was so shocking to her that she had to read it multiple times only to confirm it was true.

 

“You could have just deposited it in my account instead of pulling such stunts.” He scoffed closing them exasperation. Ahyeong blinked her eyes before opening to speak.

“I-” Ahyeong words were cut short.

 

“If you are done then get out.” He ran his fingers through his already ruffled hair. “And next time don’t you dare waste my time.” He gritted anger before throwing his head back on the headrest of the chair.

She was too shocked to fathom what just happened and when she came out of it, everything became blurred.

Ahyeong’s grip tightened around the small bag that contained his birthday gift, she blinked away her tears that were already forming in her eyes without her will. She placed the NDA, over the duffel bag before stepping back away from his desk.

 

“Happy Birthday I guess.” She said numbly before closing the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the battle of her mind and heart, the latter won because it’s always right so here she was standing in the entrance of the kitchen.

 

 

“Good Morning.” Ahyeong chirped.

Mrs. Jo looked up at Ahyeong in surprise before nodding her head.

 

Ahyeong sometimes can’t understand why was she even being lenient towards her husband when all she gets is humiliation and disrespect but her heart, the sole culprit which despite getting hurt multiple times wants her to crawl back to him knowing very well that it will bring her more pain but keeping distance from him was painful too.

Taking a huge breath she put on a huge smile and encouraged herself not to be worried about the results but rather focus on her efforts because hard works never goes in vain.

 

“Do you need anything Mrs. Shin?” She asked in her soft yet formal tone when she saw Ahyeong rummaging through the groceries she brought along. Ahyeong looked at the woman with wide eyes before answering.

 

“N-Not really, I am just…” She trailed unable to answer. When she narrowed her eyes at her Ahyeong gulped down the lumped formed out of fear towards the woman.

“I am baking … some c-cookies and cake.” She answered while rubbing the side of her neck making the old lady shift her gaze at the ingredients before she went back to whatever she was doing. Ahyeong released a sigh of relief before she started taking out everything from the grocery bag.

 

In no time, she was done with mixing the batter of cake, a strawberry fruit cake at that. She poured it in the baking tray and slipped inside the oven and then focused her attention on the cookies which was not part of her initial plan but the adrenaline rush got better of her.

 

She slowly stirred the strawberry jam and from her peripheral vision she could see Mrs. Jo observing her every moves and it was making her more nervous than she could afford.

 

“Baekhyun loves strawberries.” Mrs. Jo mused making Ahyeong gape at the woman not really expecting her to speak anything to her. Ahyeong awkwardly smiled at the woman before getting back at her work. Courtesy to her dreams, she knew about Baekhyun’s likes and dislikes.

 

 

 

“I made some for you too.” Ahyeong slid the tray filled with cookies towards the older woman who was wiping the washed dishes. The surprise on her face didn’t go unnoticed by the younger woman.

“T-Thank You Mrs. Shin.” Mrs. Jo Said with her unusually sweet soft tone and Ahyeong smiled in return.

 

“Is it good?” Ahyeong asked when the woman finally took a bite of it.

“It’s really good.” Ahyeong once again smiled before hopping away from her.

 

“Today I will prepare the lunch so you can rest.” Ahyeong announced while packing the cookies in a casseroles.

‘It’s okay it’s not-” Before the older woman can continue Ahyeong intercepted.

“It's for Baekhyun.” The older woman stance softened at Ahyeong’s words and she nodded in agreement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ahyeong couldn’t stop smiling at the idea of bringing lunch for Baekhyun. They say that the way to a men’s heart is through his stomach so it was a safe bet for her, also there was no way that Baekhyun would deny home-cooked food when he was er for it.

She entered inside the elevator which fortunately for her, was empty. She couldn’t stop the giddiness that was bubbling inside her. What kind of reaction will he give?

 

A giggle erupted out of her when she reminisced how in her dreams, Baekhyun couldn’t stop mumbling about how delicious her food tasted. Once the elevator reached his floor, Ahyeong got out and headed towards his office. Even though she was here only once, everything about this floor is still ingrained inside her brain courtesy to her dreams.

 

Mr. Go, Baekhyun’s secretary bowed at her as soon as he spotted her.

“Mrs. Shin” He said with a slight nod wearing a nervous smile.

“Kangmin ah, how many times have I told you to call me Noona?” Ahyeong glared at him when she got closer to the male before whispering, “Also don’t worry I won’t tell him that it was you who let me in.” The male rubbed his nape before vigorously nodding his head and sighed in relief.

 

Ahyeong beamed at the man before handing him the bag of cookies as a ‘Thank You’ gift for helping her out. The man looked at her, confusion lacing his feature.

“Oh, I baked cookies so I brought you some. Here, eat well.” The male hesitatingly took the small bag from before thanking her. She stepped away from the male to head towards her husband’s chamber.

 

Heaving a deep breath, she knocked on the door and opened it without waiting for his answer. She dreaded his reaction right now, no matter how much she might have convinced herself earlier that he won’t go ballistic but she has zero control over how he is going to react. A part of her was wanted her to just turn away and run for her life but a part of her convinced that at she should just give it a try. Before she could take another step inside, Baekhyun spoke.

 

“Let me finish this then I’ll eat my lunch, I promise.” He said in a very soft tone that she couldn’t believe if she heard it right. His eyes were still focused on the documents he was going through.

 

Ahyeong bit her lips to stop herself from smiling too much and moved towards the small tea table and taking out the lunch boxes. It must be dream a right, she thought before pinching herself.

“What the hell are you doing in my office?” His cold words froze Ahyeong in her place. Was it really a fragment of her dream? She retracted her trembling hands away and stood straighter before facing the male, who had his brows raised in question. His intense scowl was adding more burden to her already nervous self and all she wanted was to disappear, this instant.

“I-I brought you lunch.” Her small voice stuttered.

His eyes drifted from her towards the food she brought while his jaw clenched even more than before. The disdain in his eyes was crystal clear.

“Who the hell  do you think of yourself to barge in my office? Also who even let you in?” He gritted before stepping towards where she was standing. Ahyeong stopped breathing and thinking altogether.

 

She gulped down the lump that formed in , while her gaze lowered down.

 

“Are you for real?” He scoffed as he peered down at the lunch she brought. Ahyeong tried to look at him but her eyes caught his crooked tie and on instinct, her hands moved on their own but in no second her hand was swatted away harshly by the man, that she almost lost her balance.

 

“Don’t you dare touch me with your dirty-” Before he could even complete his sentence the door of his office swung opened.

 

“Baekhyun-” The feminine voice paused from. The familiarity was too uncanny to go unnoticed by Ahyeong who was frozen in her place, being bugged with multiple questions. Her heart was clenching painfully and everything was making her dizzy.

 

“I think we should eat at the restaurant you recommended last time.” Baekhyun spoke as he waltzed towards the other woman.

 

“You tie is slightly-, let me fix this for you.” The woman spoke with slight discomfort. Baekhyun giggled snapping Ahyeong out of her trance; she gulped down her pain and blinked back the tears that were already at the brim of her eyes. She kneeled down before repacking the lunch boxes inside the bag.

 

If the giggles weren’t enough of the torture for her poor heart, the scene she witnesses when she turned added more salt to her already wounded heart. Ahyeong’s eyes shifted towards the woman, who stood in close proximity with her husband; even though there were many major changes in her features she could still recognize that face, Jang Somin. Ahyeong suppressed her urge to scoff, she can’t believe this was how she going to meet her, holding her husband so closely as if he belonged to her. Her initial sorrow turned into anger and if she stayed a little more then there was no way she was going to spare any one of them. Gulping down another lump, she headed towards the exit.

 

 

 

As soon as she was out, her eyes locked with Kangmin who was wearing a sympathetic gaze. She tried to smile away the burn she was feeling in her chest. She noticed how his eyes landed on the bag she was carrying before going back to meet hers.

She felt embarrassed for failing to do even a single task and having a witness to her misery was tormenting her.

“I-I-”

“Thank you for the food Noona.” He bowed a little before taking away the bag from her hands

.

“Oh, I brought ice-cream too, I hope it hasn’t melted yet.” She pouted as she dipped her hand inside the bag. “I will put this inside the fridge.” She spoke while making her way towards the pantry completely unaware of the surprised look the male was giving her.

“How does she know about the secret pantry?” He mumbled before following Ahyeong.

 

 

 

 

Ahyeong placed the ice-cream inside the freezer and was about to close it when her eyes landed on the very familiar jar. She picked it out before examining it, it was her gift to Baekhyun- the Yuja tea she prepared for him last month but what surprised her more was that half of its content was already consumed.

 

It was confusing her but also giving her some weird hopes. If he really hates her then why he still has her gift. What did it even mean?

 

 

“N-Noona ….-are you okay?” Kangmin spoke as his gaze landed on the jar in her hands.

“This …” She was almost breathless when she started. She took a deep breath before continuing. “Why is this here?”

The question took the male off-guard and confusing him at the same time.

“Secretary Jang is the one who-”

“Secretary Jang?” Ahyeong tilted her head in confusion. A part of her guessed who this Secretary Jang could be but she still needed some kind of confirmation.

 

“Y-You met her inside Mr. Byun’s office just now.” He said with slight hesitation. A part of him unable to comprehend, why was he even scared of the woman before him, when he was usually calm and composed even in terrible situations.

 

“Jang Somin, she’s Mr. Byun’s second secretary in command.” He elaborated after realizing that the woman wanted more detailed information.

Ahyeong heaved a sigh, throwing out all the questions that were bubbling inside her. She realized she wasn't really ready for all those information at the moment, she needed a break from everything.

“If she asks, about its whereabouts, tell her I took it.” She waved the jar in her hand before shoving it inside her bag and left the perplexed male behind who now was already dreading the wrath of the other woman who was definitely going to be ballistic when she will founds out that her favourite jar of Yuja tea has been seized by none other than Shin Ahyeong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun sighed deeply before ringing the doorbell. He was never the type to get nervous but today he couldn’t help it, despite assuring himself many times that his parents will understand. The door was opened by his mother, who was all smiles but it soon dropped when she realized he was alone.

“There was an emergency in the hospital so she had to leave for that.” He answered before his mother could question him about his wife’s whereabouts. He wasn’t exactly lying because it was a truth but it still couldn’t the feeling of guilt.

 

Hwajin nodded her head in understanding but he could still see the sadness in her features. She has been planning this for days just like every year so it was reasonable for her to be slightly upset at her only daughter-in-law’s absence. A part of him can’t help but blame himself for the mishap, he encountered her twice in the last 24 hours but he forget to tell her about tonight’s party his mother was reminding him about for past five days.

But a part of him reasoned that her presence was too annoying for him to think sanely. If she wasn’t being irritating, he might have told her but now it’s too late to cry over spilled milk. She can’t join them and he should be happy that she was nowhere near him on such a good occasion.

 

“Baekhyunie?” His mother shook him slightly when she noticed he was zoning out. “Already missing your wife?” She teased before shaking her head in amusement. Baekhyun slightly smiled at her before peeking inside.

“Shall we?” He offered his hand to Hwajin before they entered the mansion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where’s your wife?” A family friend asked him when he finally thought that everyone got the message that his doctor wife had an emergency. Having it repeated multiple times was taking a toll on his running out patience. Before he could repeat his answer once again, another female added.

 

“Woman nowadays always chooses their career over their family’s welfare. Her work could have waited but she-”

“Mrs. Min” Baekhyun gritted his teeth in annoyance successfully gaining the attention if the said female. “He folded his hands over his chest.

 

“I don’t know if you are aware of this fact that my wife is a doctor, a Gynecologist to be specific.” He smirked before continuing. “Also she knows where exactly her priority lies, which was to chose your daughter’s welfare over attending her husband’s birthday party that come every year.” He narrowed his eyes at Mrs. Min who was still processing his every word and we she realized what he meant she almost struggled to stand on her two feet.

“Y-Yeobo” She strutted across the hall to go towards her husband while the other woman followed her.

 

It was quite a ruckus afterwards, everyone were talking about how the mighty Mrs. Min who always lectured everyone about how to take care of their family when she herself had her own flaws.

 

He almost wanted to laugh if not for the sensitivity of the situation; he never knew such kind of information will ever come handy to trigger Mrs. Min who was always on his mother’s neck but his mother being a softie never let him say a thing to her. She was considerate enough to accompany them to the hospital and with that everyone left the party except for him and his friends.

 

“You shouldn’t have lied just to get back at her.” Kim Minseok, the eldest among them shook his head in disappointment.

 

“Who said I lied to her?” Baekhyun said with a deadpanned face after settling himself on his seat. Now the amusement left everyone’s face, instead it was replaced with shock.

Baekhyun sipped on his wine before speaking. “Don’t worry; both the mother and child are fine. It’s a baby boy if you are curious about the gender.”

 

“How did you even have this kind information?” Sehun asked curiously.

“Who else if not for his responsible doctor wife who is also a gynecologist to be specific, under whose immense care Mrs. Min’s daughter is?” Chanyeol noted for others making Sehun and Baekhyun roll their eyes while the rest of them suppressed their amusement

 

“But shouldn’t we talk about how he defended his wife?” Junmyeon piped in making Sehun roll his eyes once again who was tired of how his cousin was a constant topic of debate among them recently.

 

“I have been telling this for many times already that this hyung is whipped for his wife.” Kim Jongin added making Baekhyun scoff.

“If not the husband then who will?” Kim Jongdae smirked.

“Well half of the male population in the hospital is.” Kyungsoo folded his hand before making an eye contact with the seething man who had enough of their teasing.

 

“What are you exactly trying to imply here?” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at Kyungsoo.

“What I am saying is that your wife is quite popular with almost every single male lurking around her, begging for her attention.”

 

“And what am I supposed to do with that information?” Baekhyun scoffed not really getting what his childhood friend was trying to do. Everyone in the table including Sehun who seemed disinterested all this while, got curious.

 

“Who knows when one day someone acts on their intention to woo her since she is still single in the eyes of many?” Kyungsoo smirked.

 

“Then what has been stopping them until now?” Baekhyun asked nonchalantly.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged before getting up. “Just giving you heads up before it’s too late.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A sneak peak of author's mind:

 

It's been a long time. I got a little busy this whole month from babysitting my niece and granny yup my granny needs supervision too otherwise she might wreck things to EXO comeback and an existential crisis to getting lazy and consequently putting this story on hold. writing the angst part got me little depressed and I took a break, I even scraped out many angsty part because it made me feel guilty towards Baekhyun even though it's a fanfic. After that I have finally completed this chapter. I hope you all like it until then bye bye and Thank you.