Reality Check

Who Do I Love?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Eomonim, I swear I read everything you asked me to study.” The seven year old girl desperately knocked on the door while the chilly breeze biting her exposed skin. Her wails went unheard to the people inside the house. The darkness together with the light snowfall was not helping at all instead it scared the girl even more. What if she dies? As that particular thought invaded her mind little Ahyeong applied more strength on knocking the door.

“Eomonim I-I am scared, please open the door.” She begged slowly losing her hopes and wiped her tears with the back of her hands before trying once again.

She inserted the loose sleeves of her thin cardigan inside to prevent the sob from leaving, afraid that it will trigger her mother more. She hated it whenever Ahyeong sobbed or cried in front of her, sometimes it led to more intense punishment.

“Eomonim it’s very cold here.” Her low muffled voice came before she fainted on the ground.

 

 

 

 

 

Ahyeong jerked awake when her head hit the cold surface of floor. Where was she? Blinking her eyes open she sat up. Reality hit her, when her mind was flooded with the memories from before she tried to stand up, groaning lowly. Her muscles felt strained and stiff courtesy to her uncomfortable sleeping position.

Her gaze once again fell on the closed door. As much as she wanted to suppress the ache in her heart she couldn’t help but reprimand herself for everything that happened. Weirdly enough, she couldn’t even hate Baekhyun for playing with her feelings. She felt like she deserved it and everything was her fault.

Indeed she was fool to expect that her husband will genuinely like her let alone love her for who she was. It wasn’t that she didn’t see the red flags; it was just that she turned blind eyes on them because she wanted to trust him despite her nagging hunch.

She felt like a fool to think that he was going to be her knight in shining armor. How could she let her guards down for this one man just because in her dreams he was so good to her when she clearly remembered the shaman’s words that it was all fantasy?

“I feel like a stupid now.” She scoffed.

 

If she wasn’t being a fool for love, she wouldn’t have expected anything from this marriage and letting herself hurt this bad. It is so ironical that one day she was promising his mother that she will never ever hurt him and next, she knows it was her who got hurt in the end.

Ahyeong looked at the ceiling to prevent her tears from falling. She hated all these emotions that she was feeling now. Why was it hurting so much? It’s not like she loved him. If so, who did she love? Was it him or his illusion that he portrayed so well? Or maybe she was in love with the idea of loving him.

 

Sparing once last glance at the door, she turned away from the door. Currently, she was not in her right mind and different ideas to cope with the situation popped inside her head. Ahyeong was usually rational when it came to decision making and always kept her emotions aside but the pain that lingered in her chest like an acid burn was pushing her every damn buttons.

 

She hurt, angry and emotionally wrecked, the only way she could calm herself down before dealing with her whole marriage fiasco was to take a break from everything so she grasp everything. Taking a deep breath she fastened her steps, she has to run away from here. Away from him.

 

She paused in her steps abruptly when the words of Hyoson from the morning popped out of nowhere. She would rather run towards her husband than running away from him. She loudly scoffed at the memory. It was too late and now completely impossible to get out of this marriage. If only she was not a hopeless romantic she wouldn’t have dug this hole for her but at least she can hide away from everyone, if only Jiho’s offer still stands.

She started walking again; she has to get out of this place before anyone catches her. As she descended down the staircase, she noticed a figure, unceremoniously lying on the couch.

Reaching down, she made a beeline across the sofa to the main door. As she neared the sofa she looked at the sleeping figure. Ahyeong recognized the young maid from before. Why is she sleeping here out of all places? Ahyeong thought.

“None of my business” She murmured in low voice as she continued walking keeping her eyes on the woman afraid of waking her up but luck wasn’t on her side when her slipper tangled with the carpet, throwing her off balance.

Ahyeong fell first with thud sound, a small yelp came out of startling awake the one person, she was trying so hard not to wake.

“Oh o-omo” The young maid got on her knees next to Ahyeong. “Are you okay?”

Ahyeong internally screamed at her clumsiness. She just wanted to get out of here peacefully but thanks to her terrible luck, not only she embarrassed herself in front of this young girl she also busted her plan to escape with her ‘own legs’.

“I-I am fine.” Ahyeong laughed awkwardly while scratching her nape looking everywhere but the woman before adding. “I am sorry for waking you up though.”

The young woman waved her hands before speaking. “Oh it’s fine, I was actually waiting for you but I fell asleep.” She smiled sheepishly. Ahyeong raised her eyebrows in question which the young maid failed to notice.

“Let me show you your room.” The young maid stood up before gesturing Ahyeong to follow the suit

 

Ahyeong bit her lips to not groan in pain she felt on her back as she got on her feet before following the young woman. God seems so kind that he is making her experience every kind of pain in a single day. Give me a head injury too if you are feeling so generous. She looked up to curse at God.

Her wishes were answered instantly when her head hit the wall on her way and she groaned in both pain and frustration. The woman before her turned around only to bit her lips to suppress her giggles.

“Can you please just act like it didn’t happen?” Ahyeong mumbled.

“I didn’t see anything.” The girl complied before entering a hallway on the right side of the hall.

“What is your name?” Ahyeong asked the other female.

“Jang Hyemi” She answered with a smile.

“It’s a beautiful name.” Ahyeong complimented before asking. “For how much years have you been working in this house?”

“I actually work for Mr. Byun’s parents. I am here just for today since Mrs. Jo needed extra hands.” Ahyeong’s face fell at her answer.

“It would have been great if you worked here.” Ahyeong pouted.

“I don’t think it’s possible.” Hyemi chuckled awkwardly.

“Why is that?” Ahyeong asked curiously.

“Uhm Mrs. Jo prefers working alone and doesn’t like interference.” She answered in a whisper as if afraid that the said person will hear it.

“She sounds scary.” Ahyeong chuckled.

“She is little scary as a superior but since she really likes and cares about Mr. Byun as her own son so I-I think she will be good to you too.” Hyemi stood in front of the door before opening it for Ahyeong.

Ahyeong tried to gulp down the negative feelings she was having regarding this Mrs. Jo. She could already feel it in her bones that this woman was going to be anything but nice to her and the hesitation in Hyemi’s assurance wasn’t helping either.

“T-this is going to be your room.” Hyemi smiled awkwardly. Ahyeong thanked her before stepping inside.

“If you need anything I will be in the room next to the kitchen.” She relayed before leaving.

 

 

 

Ahyeong smile faded once she was all alone. Closing the door, she leaned on it before sliding down. She looked at the surrounding, it was a pretty simple room with the basic necessity; a king sized bed, bedside table with a small table lamp, a huge cupboard, a vanity table and her luggage.

 

Reality was a bitter pill to swallow. To grasp onto reality and to ignore the pain it brought felt like a luxury limited edition bag she failed to get hold of. A part of her just wanted to succumb in her dreams and never wake up from it again but who was she kidding.

As much as she wanted to get angry at everything and everyone, blame herself and her fate or just take a breath and think rationally and find a way out or just escape from it or pretend as if everything was fine but the suffocating burn in her chest defeated her ‘I am fine’ façade. She was nowhere to being fine.

Her feelings even though it was in its blooming phase were crushed down and it hurts. Her heart was in conflict, if she really deserves such treatment. Was she really that bad to be unworthy of someone’s love? Or maybe she got too greedy when she got lucky with her Imo, Hyoson and Chunghee and craved for more.

If only she has restrained herself she wouldn’t have hurt herself like this.

“Why my heart is aching so much?” She tried to sooth the pain by thumping the left side of her chest while her tears fell uncontrollably. She could already feel her sob on its way to . Out of habit, she gagged with the hem of her wedding gown to prevent the sob from coming out of it.

The night which was supposed to be witnessing a new beginning for Ahyeong was anything but that.

 

*********************************

 

 

 

“Should I be oblivious”? Or should I look for the reason…….”

It was the tenth rose, losing its petals brutally in the hands of Ahyeong.

 

“Should I be oblivious?” She stopped as she plucked out the last petal. And her tenth attempt still held the same answer.

 

“One more time” She bit her lip and pulled out the last rose from the vase. She looked at the pink flower in apology but her determination was already slipping away.

After overcoming her emotional phase, Ahyeong tried to recollect every single memories of her with Baekhyun, he really did seem genuine with no malice so what might have gone wrong that he was acting this way.

 

“It’s so childish.” She hissed in frustration before putting away the rose in its original place.

 

“Shin Ahyeong just try to think rationally.” Ahyeong slapped her cheeks lightly as if trying to wake herself up.

 

“Why would Baekhyun suddenly act like that?” She spoke to her reflection. “I don’t think Eomonim and Abeoji are powerful enough to threaten him. There is no way he is taking some kind of revenge when I haven’t even done anything wrong to him. I wouldn’t know if I don’t confront him but what are the chances he will reveal anything.” Her every theory regarding Baekhyun’s sudden behavioral change was giving her headache

“What if the Shaman’s spell has something to do with it?” Another absurd theory popped inside her head and before she could dive in any further the loud knocking on her door startled her out of her Sherlock’s world.

 

“It’s open.” She softly yelled. The door opened revealing a woman who seemed to be in her mid fifties. Must be Mrs. Jo she thought. She looked really kind and soft, the type one want to cuddle while sleeping and apparently very different from what Ahyeong imagined.

“Hello, I am Ahyeong.” She stood up before bowing towards the older woman, who just nodded in acknowledgement. Contrary to her soft looks her face didn’t hold any expression.

“Baekhyun has asked for you.” She informed before adding. “He is waiting in his office.”

Ahyeong was too busy analyzing the tone of the older woman that she missed the message Mrs. Jo relayed.

“Are you listening?” The older woman asked in her stern voice almost scaring the young one. Ahyeong puzzled look answered for her making the woman roll her eyes before she repeated what she said earlier.

“Baekhyun is waiting for you in his office.” She spoke before gesturing Ahyeong to follow her. Ahyeong glanced at her reflection one last time before hurrying after the woman.

She clenched and unclenched her fists and her heart wasn’t any better. She was not prepared to face him let alone confront him. Ahyeong focused on the interior of the house to keep away any thoughts invading her head.

 

Once they reached the hall and were nearing towards the stairs, the thoughts Ahyeong so much wanted to keep at bay started popping up. It was still a fresh memory.

 

When the older woman passed the staircase and went to the other side of the hall. Ahyeong almost sighed in relief but the realization why she was following Mrs. Jo hit her like a truck. Ahyeong wiped her sweaty palms on her dress as they neared a double door. She could feel her chest burning demanding for oxygen but her function of respiration seemed to cease in its action.

 

The soft knocking on the door pulled her out of her trance. She took a deep breath or two trying to calm herself down.

 

At Baekhyun’s soft ‘come in’ Mrs. Jo gestured Ahyeong to enter. Ahyeong nodded at the woman before twisting the door knob.

 

She tried her best to look unaffected, when she entered his office; as if last night didn’t happen but it was hard to even wear a fake smile when her heart was bursting with myriads of emotions. The man in front of her, sitting lavishly while immersed in his paperwork also didn’t look like someone who made her see happy dreams only to shatter it all in the end. Actually, right now he looks like an angel dressed in white full sleeved shirt with two top buttons opened.

Ahyeong heart was torn between drooling over him or gulp down the pain she was feeling due t to his indifference.

As if feeling her gaze on him, Baekhyun looked up at Ahyeong with his poker face. Ahyeong tried to maintain the eye contact without giving any of her emotions away, she didn’t know why she was acting this way but her guts ordered her to restraint herself from showing him her vulnerable side.

“Come sit here.” He spoke after he was done observing her, his voice was soft but had that businessman like tone to it. Ahyeong obeyed without any words.

Opening a drawer on his left, he took out a manila folder before tossing it towards her. Ahyeong looked at the folder before directing her gaze towards the male, her expression neutral.

“It’s a Non-Disclosure agreement.” He answered before gesturing her to open it with a subtle smirk. With a heavy heart Ahyeong opened it, already expecting what was coming. It wasn’t her first time signing an NDA.

“It has some Do’s and Don’ts that you have to follow. Whatever happens in this house should stay in this house, no one should know a thing about the inside story of our marriage and-” Ahyeong already uncapped a pen and signed under her name as if she was on autopilot not really hearing what her husband has to say.

Baekhyun looked at her in shock not really expecting her to do that. He at least expected some kind of protest. Narrowing his eyes, e tried to read her every action.

 

“You know, you are supposed to read a contract thoroughly before signing it even though if it seems harmless.” He scoffed at her. Ahyeong paused to let out an almost inaudible ‘oh’. If not for his sharp hearing sense he would have missed it.

Ahyeong felt like an epitome of a dumb girl, on one end she wanted to know the reason behind his cold actions and on other end she was just signing a contract and that too without even reading it.

The weak part of her advocated her submissiveness, the idea of giving in to his demands without protest would just save time and spare herself from endless dramas.

While her strong side mocked her stating that it was just another shackle added to her body she willingly let herself to be bound with. Then her weak side added ‘what’s the point of protesting when in the end she will be made to sign it by hook or crook’.

 

A large part of her wanted to trust him but at the end of the day, Baekhyun was a businessman after all, he must have some cards under his sleeves to pull out if she denied, the very aspect she deliberately neglected because she wanted to see him as a normal person. How dumb of her to think she was going to have a normal relationship. Seems like she was way too optimistic about relationship courtesy to the fictional world she built on the foundation of those romantic web-comics.

Signing on the last page she pushed the document towards Baekhyun who hasn’t taken his eyes off her all the while.

“Are you really not that curious what this contract says?” He asked in a taunting way. Ahyeong blinked at him before answering.

“I am not supposed to disclose anything regarding our marriage.”

Baekhyun looked at Ahyeong with his lips almost twitching. He chuckled before picking up the document and waving at her.

 

“There is one more document attached with it, more like an agreement contract which states certain rules and regulations in consideration with this marriage. Let’s start with this then we will move to NDA.” He sighed before he seriously started explaining every key elements written in it.

 

Ahyeong fisted her hands under the desk, not really keen on listening, even a word written on it but she wasn’t brave enough to disagree with him.

 

“The first 5 clauses are all about the personal rights such as,

One, both parties are not bound to disclose about their whereabouts, what they are upto.
Two, they can indulge in extra-marital affairs if they want and it won’t be considered adultery since both party agreed on it.
Three ….”

Ahyeong brain stopped processing, post hearing the word ‘extra-marital affair’ A part of her was regretting signing that contract blindly and a part of her wanted to slap the male for even considering that let alone putting it there. How could he? Why the hell did he marry her when he was going to indulge in an extra-marital affair?

 

“Let’s move to another part of the contract.” He pursed his lips before he started to explain.

 

“That won’t be needed.” Ahyeong interjected before standing up. “I think that’s it I guess.”

 

She felt humiliated and disgusted, Ahyeong has always seen marriage as something sacred, even living with her parents toxic married she still saw it highly, when her family were binding it with multiple contracts she somewhere still hoped that holiness of a marriage was beyond those cheap agreements and a part of her wanted to keep Baekhyun away from it during those times. But seems like fate was crueler than she expected, just when she thought she was done with those contracts and agreements a new set of them made its way towards her from a very unlikely person in the form of her husband. Her major part of life was spent in becoming just a party in those contracts.

 

Baekhyun tilted his head scrutinizing Ahyeong before pushing the contract once again towards her.

“This contract will be valid until the termination of our marriage i.e. five years as per the pre-nuptial agreement.” Baekhyun mockingly smiled at Ahyeong. “And by the way you have to stamp your seal mark here otherwise the agreement won’t be valid.” It seemed like he was enjoying every bit of it.

Ahyeong looked at him blankly before picking up the paper from his desk. She turned around to leave but halted in her steps when the man spoke.

“Another thing, my parents are coming for dinner tonight and I hope you keep up with your act of the happy and docile wife.” Ahyeong could feel the smirk in his voice. Without sparing him any glance she rushed out of his office.

 

 

Once locking the door behind her, Ahyeong leaned on the door before looking down at the documents in her hands. The temptation to crumble those papers and tear it into pieces was strong but she wasn’t brave enough to handle the aftermath, she was never good at that. One of the reasons she went with the flow rather than opposing it. It was much easier to tolerate them than to confront it.

 

The words from Baekhyun started to seep inside her head, from the clauses of NDA to pre-nuptials-.

 

Ahyeong ran towards her luggage to look for the said documents, she did remember signing it but like many instances never bothered to read it. It was pointless reading them when she had zero say in those agreements but what’s done is done, there was no point regretting it.

 

After frantically searching for it, she finally found it in her small tote bag. Ahyeong settled down at the foot of the bed before opening the folder. One by one she read every page of it, every single page pushing her to look at her fate of marriage in a different light. It was not a typical pre-nup agreement but more like a business agreement that came with an expiry date of her marriage i.e. five years. It must ne her mother.

 

The clauses weren’t any better; if one party prematurely terminates it, they might have to give away 55% of their property share to the other party and other various agreements that weren’t any better.

Ahyeong scoffed before bursting into humorless chuckles. “Now he definitely thinks of me as some kind of gold digger.” She mumbled before looking up. “What should I do now?”

‘At least show a little courtesy and agree with whatever he demands’ her weak side advised. Ahyeong closed her eyes in order to contemplate, ‘what was the best thing to do at the moment?’

 

“I have dug my own grave.” She mumbled.

The three things she expected in a marriage: Love, Happiness and Respect and ultimately in just one everything got checked out.

“I should have known my place.”

 

 

 

*************

After being done with her make-up, Ahyeong slipped in her necklace and bracelet. Her mind somewhere else, if she thought the pre-nup was worse, then the agreement Baekhyun asked her to sign was worst. It was more like a tit to tat like situation, it was so obvious that his agreement came as retaliation to the agreement her parents came up with.

 

In the war of contracts she was the only victim here and it was less likely Baekhyun was going to believe her if she told him that she was never been an accomplice in her parent’s plans. He would definitely dismiss it as an excuse when she had her sign and seal stamped in the controversial agreement.

 

Right now, she has to get on Baekhyun’s and his parents good side. There’s a chance that they are unaware of the situation as Baekhyun has specifically asked her to act her part as his wife. It wasn't tough for her to pretend but what if she genuinely wants to be good to them.

Even though her interaction with them was bare minimum, they were good to her and pretending in front of them felt like a sin but could she afford the impact of truth on them. If she didn’t go as per Baekhyun’s plan, it was her who would be at loss and not Baekhyun. He was their star child and she was literally nobody but a gold-digger leeching of their son, so she had to it up and like always go with the flow.

 

Once the hour-hand stuck seven she got up to head towards the destination, where her first mission was going to be unfolded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cookie Clip:

 

“Oppa~” Ahyeong singsong when she spotted him at the café, the place they decided to meet. Kyungsoo looked up at the woman radiating in her glory walking towards him and couldn’t stop himself from smiling but a part of him feeling regretful. A part of him wanted to tell her about what was to come on her way but a part of him trusted Baekhyun. He believed Baekhyun wouldn’t stoop so low and hurt his to be wife.

“What are you thinking?” She chirped after placing herself in front of him.

“That our little bird has grown up.” He cooed. Ahyeong tilted her head in confusion not really getting what he meant.

“You have a bird.” She asked. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but chuckle at her innocence before answering.

“Yes, her name is little Ahyeong.”

Ahyeong looked at him abashed while Kyungsoo kept laughing at her reaction.

“I am not going to invite you in my marriage.” She threatened.

“I will have to gatecrash then.” He continued his teasing.

 

 

 

 

 

A sneak peak of Author’s mind:

Long time no see. It’s been two weeks since I last posted, no excuses I was just confused with the plot of this chapter. There were different scenarios I worked on and ended up replacing it with another and in the end I got bored and stopped writing altogether. Today I finally came with a better version or so I assume. Idk you all tell me.

About the story, my friend who is one my reader told me that she prefers Kyungsoo’s scenes with OC more because they are fluffy but when it comes with Baekhyun, she just feels awkward. Actually it was my intention from the beginning that BBH and AH meet in real their interaction wouldn’t be as comfortable just like she has with Kyungsoo. If you ask me to give a reason, that’s because she met them in different environment. When she met DKS, she was in her comfort zone while with BBH she wasn’t. She was in a whirlwind of emotions and the atmosphere was also tense.

I personally too like her interaction with Kyungsoo but in future maybe I might prefer BBHs one. 

That's it for now. Comments are always anticipated and appreciated. It really helps in motivating me as a writer and to do a better job so don't be stingy with your words and it's not like you wil be taxed for having an opinion. The more the interaction the more is the chance that I might update more frequently.For now Thank You.