Chapter VI: Forgotten

Old and New
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER VI: FORGOTTEN

“The little things you forget, kill me.” 

— Iain Thomas, I Wrote This For You

~~~

It was a cold wintry afternoon and Dong Jun’s usually quiet house was filled with excited chatter and the sweet smell of honey and sesame seeds. Dong Jun was out training for the archery tournament and just as Haerin thought she was resigned to boredom for the rest of the afternoon, she was met with a surprise visitor. Auntie Kim had let herself into the kitchen armed with baskets of ingredients for dessert and Haerin was all too glad for the company and had quickly offered her assistance, despite not even knowing what they were making. 

“These honey rice cakes are Dong Jun’s favourite dessert, he will be really happy to know that you helped make these,” Auntie Kim mentioned as she busied herself around the kitchen. 

“I don’t know anything about cooking, Auntie Kim,” Haerin responded, watching helplessly as all she could do was stand around, at a loss of what to do. “I’m afraid I’ll be more of a hindrance than a help.”

“Don’t worry dear, cooking is very simple! Here, you can start by helping me separate the eggs.” 

Haerin was glad to receive instructions, eagerly launching herself into the task. Auntie Kim’s energy was contagious and Haerin soon found herself unconsciously trying to match the lively mood in the kitchen, offering a helping hand wherever Auntie Kim needed. With the two of them working in sync, it wasn’t long before preparations were finished, the rice cakes now left to steam while they waited. 

“Come Haerin dear, have some tea for all your hard work,” Auntie Kim offered, as she motioned for Haerin to take a seat as they waited. “How has everything been for you so far? How are you finding living here with us?” she asked conversationally. 

“Everything’s been really good, Auntie Kim,” Haerin answered sincerely, sipping on her tea slowly. “Dong Jun has been really kind and he’s starting to let me help around the house more so hopefully I’m becoming less of a burden to him.” 

“Oh nonsense, you were never a burden, dear! I know Dong Jun may not say this to you often but I can tell he is very happy to have you around the house. That poor boy has been alone for so long, I’m so happy to see that he finally has you now to look out for him.” 

“Are you Dong Jun’s only close relative, Auntie?” 

Sensing her hesitation, Haerin quickly tried to clarify. “I’m sorry, I only meant because you mentioned that he’s been living alone for a long time, so I just wondered if—”

Haerin bit her tongue abruptly in silence, cursing herself in her head for her senseless question. She was about to apologise again but was stopped by Auntie Kim who waved her off good-naturedly. 

“Our Dong Junnie’s parents passed away when he was very young,” she started out sombrely. “So yes, I am his only close relative left. He was only, what, sixteen at the time? The poor boy’s been all alone ever since.”

“What happened?” 

“His father used to be the chief of our village. Back then there were many conflicts between the clans. Officially, his parents died in an accident when they were out riding, but I think deep down everyone suspected foul play from one of the rival clans was involved. I never brought this possibility up to Dong Jun but although he was too young to be left alone on this earth, I think a part of him was old enough at the time for this thought to cross his mind,” Auntie Kim sighed as she stood up to check on the nearly-done dessert, the topic too sombre for her to sit still. 

Haerin could only listen in silence as she majorly regretted her loose tongue. For all the warmth and kindness Dong Jun had showed her in the past weeks, she would not have guessed that beneath that gentle and caring surface hid such a painful past. The thought that Dong Jun seemed a little young to be a clan chief did cross her mind before, but she had then attributed it to his charisma and leadership skills; little did she know that his maturity and independence was actually a product of such pain. Her heart ached for him. Dong Jun did not deserve this, she thought. He was a good man; not just because he was a good person to her but she had seen the way he cared for the rest of his people; the way he would be hard at work in his backyard helping to repair furniture for some of the older villagers; or the way the children would always run up to greet him in excitement and how he would humour each and every one of them no matter how tired he was; and even the way the other men in the village seemed to look up to him, always popping by his house for advice. Unconsciously, a tiny part of Haerin’s heart resolved that day that no matter what happened, she would try her hardest to see Dong Jun happy from now on.

“I’ve always had a feeling that this burden has been weighing on him all this while,” Auntie Kim continued softly, her tone laced with regret. “Ever since he became chief, he’s fiercely stayed away from anything to do with clan politics and isolated our villa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter