Chapter III: Pursuit

Old and New
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER III: PURSUIT

“If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets.” 

— Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

~~~~

“Hey, you’re awake!” 

Caught in the act, Haerin smiled shyly as she gingerly stepped into the backyard, returning Dong Jun’s greeting. She had woken up minutes ago to a quiet house and feeling brave, had decided to wander around until she was greeted with the image of Dong Jun hard at work in the backyard, sawing away at a couple of planks of wood. She had not meant to stare but she somehow could not turn away from the sight of him hard at work, clad in a simple but fitted black t-shirt and distressed jeans, a look of unadulterated concentration on his face, unbothered by the sweat drops that were dripping down his sideburns. She did not have the chance to look at him clearly in the rush of events the night before, but staring at him now in the rays of the morning sun, she unknowingly felt her heart beat faster. 

“The clothes fit you well, I’m glad.” 

Blushing slightly, Haerin looked down at her simple attire of a plain beige sweater and jeans self-consciously. She had woken this morning to a fresh set of clothes by her bedside table that she assumed had been placed by Dong Jun earlier. 

“Thank you for the clothes,” Haerin muttered shyly. 

“Sorry they’re a little simple, but these were the best I could find. Someone will be bringing more clothes over later. Did you sleep well?”

“It took me awhile to fall asleep but I slept very well once I did.” 

“Ah, sorry about that, the lights in my study must have kept you awake,” Dong Jun responded apologetically. “I don’t usually have guests in my house so there aren’t any blinds in your room. I’ll make sure to get some later today.” 

“Oh no, please don’t bother! I couldn’t possibly inconvenience you any further,” Haerin hurriedly interjected, shaking her head hastily to emphasise her sincerity. 

“Nonsense, this is your home now, of course you’ve got to be comfortable,” Dong Jun replied firmly. 

Expecting some form of objection, Dong Jun looked up from his woodwork in surprise at the silence, only to be startled by the image of Haerin biting back tears. 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he questioned worriedly, rushing over to her side to wipe away the stray tears that slipped down her cheeks.  “Why are you crying?” 

“I’m s-sorry, it’s just—” Haerin stuttered in embarrassment as she tried to calm herself down. “I’m just a stranger but you’ve done so much for me. I don’t know how to thank you enough.” 

Dong Jun smiled as he brushed her hair back from her face affectionately. “You don’t have to thank me. You’re one of us now, okay?” 

Smiling through her tears, Haerin could only nod gratefully in response before their moment together was interrupted by another voice in the house. 

“Dong Junnie, are you there?” 

“Oh, Auntie, we’re in the backyard!” an excited smile crossing Dong Jun’s face as he shouted back. “Come Haerin, there’s someone I’d like you to meet.” 

Hurriedly wiping away her tears and praying that her face did not look too puffy at her outburst, Haerin turned to see a smiling middle-aged lady walk in with her hands full carrying an adorable grey tabby kitten and what seemed like a bag full of clothes.  

“Hello dear, you must be Haerin!” 

“Haerin, this is my godmother, you can call her Auntie Kim. She’s basically the mom of the entire village,” Dong Jun introduced, his eyes smiling affectionately at the lady. 

“Nice to meet you, Auntie Kim.” 

“Why, you’re such a pretty little thing! Dong Jun has never had a woman in his house before, so I took the liberty to bring you some clothes. They’re hand-me-downs, but hopefully you’ll like it.” 

Seeing Dong Jun blush in embarrassment at Auntie Kim’s revelation of his secret, Haerin couldn’t help but laugh as she quickly answered. “I’m sure I’ll like them Auntie, thank you so much for everything.” 

Haerin moved forward to accept the bag of clothes but was stopped short as she suddenly broke into a sneezing fit. 

“Oh dear, what’s wrong?”

“Auntie, wait, stop! I think it’s the cat,” Dong Jun hurriedly moved to take the cat from her arms the moment he realised what was going on. “Haerin must be allergic.”

Eyes widening in guilt, Auntie Kim started to apologise profusely as Dong Jun let the cat back into the house, away from Haerin. “I’m sorry dear, I didn’t know!” 

“It’s alright, Auntie, I myself didn’t know either,” Haerin shrugged good-naturedly. 

“I’ll make sure to keep the cats away whenever you come over to my place,” Auntie Kim promised as she smiled warmly in return. “How do you find living here? Has our Dong Junnie been treating you well?” 

A smile crept across Haerin’s face as she nodded shyly. “He’s been nothing but kind to me, Auntie. I’m very grateful.” 

“Good, good. Our Dong Junnie doesn’t hang out with women often but I’m glad to see that he still knows how to treat a lady.”

“Auntie, stop! You’re embarrassing me,” Dong Jun whined, causing Haerin to burst out in laughter at the unexpected sight before her. 

“Alright fine,” Auntie Kim responded teased good-n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter