04.

Love, or the lack thereof
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun's footsteps continued to drive along the lonely and cold hallway. Strong medicinal smell was too common for her these past 12 months. Joohyun felt her socks were a little wet because the shoes passed through some puddle. It's her daily routine, to visit her beloved one. A man in his 50s is seen lying quietly on a white bed. Joohyun walked over while had her eyes on him. 

"Dad, I'm here." 

"Joohyun?" That weak voice made Joohyun's heart feel pain that spreads throughout his body.

"Why are you here? You said that today you had a plain with Seungwan."

"Yeah we had, but I can't leave you alone jus for shaking of my business. Have you eaten? I don't see any bowl here on the table."

"You don't have to do that." Joohyun's hands who were busy on the table stopped immediately hearing what his father said.

"It is my duty to take care of you. I'm your daughter at all."

"And you're the only who cares and takes well of me."

Joohyun left speechless. 

It is. It is true that we can only rely on each othheard 

"I was thinking, how will you live without me?" Joohyun's dad continued his words that made Joohyun indignant. 

"You are talking nonsense again."

"I'm serious, Joohyun."

"You will not leave me alone."

"But when God says yes?" 

Joohyun was still stunned to hear the words that spoken by her father. Joohyun raised her head and took a deep breath of air, then exhaled roughly. Like when Joohyun exhaled, she wished she could exhale all the burdens on his heart and mind, let go of all the feeling of despair.

"I will never imagine, I don't want to see it happen. You will be okay and we will live our lives again. We will grow old together, I will be able to continue to taking care of you dad. Just, don't say anything like that."

"Are you trying to find hope in the hopeless?"

Humans should behave like that, right? Keep looking for light in the dark. Keep looking for a glimmer of hope in the amidst of despair. 

"So you think dad, is this all just vanity? Like, we're both are walking on the vain way?"

"I'm not saying all this happen is vanity. I'm just thinking-"

"Thinking that keeping you alive is a vanity? Thinking that all our effort, time, and money to keep you breath if a mistake?"

Joohyun could no longer bear to continue arguing with her father. She grabbed her bag and stepped away from her father's bad. Before Joohyun opened the door, her dad talked

"It is like a linked heartbeat, my soul lights up because I'm with you, my daughter."

Joohyun saw a simple smile adorned her father's face. 

Smile that covered up his pain. 

"Do not forget to eat."

"I will."

"Ok. I'll be back tomorrow."

---

Joohyun walked down the road with the desire, hope, and despair that she had always carried with her all this time. The night wind blowed, gripped and crushed at Joohyun's face. There wasn't stars that decorating dark skies, even the moon was reluctant to reveal its light. 

It's damn cold night.

Joohyun decided to go to the tteokbokki at her regular modest restaurant, hugged herself while walking on a damp and wet road. 

The sound came from the door as Joohyun entered the restaurant and there was just two customers. 

No wonder. It's 00:49 in the morning. 

Joohyun took a sit at the middle of the room and ordered 1 medium pot. While waiting for the tteokbokki, Joohyun read the book and found the words

“Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

Joohyun smiled, found it funny how the book that she was reading n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter