Snacks? I'm the Snack

The Stars at Night

The weekend thankfully came, and that meant a Saturday where Horyeong and Daun could wake up and be lazy as . 

 

In their little makeshift room in the basement, there were no windows, so there weren’t any annoying rays of sunshine shining through their room. By the time Horyeong actually woke up, it was still pitch black in the room. He only woke up because he left the ringer of his phone on and Seulchan and Zeth started flooding the group chat with messages about the best type of soup. 

 

Horyeong didn’t have breakfast until noon after ing around on his phone for an hour, when he trudged his way up the stairs into the kitchen to find the house empty and no one able to judge his sleeping habits. 

 

He grabbed a box of cereal and went back down the stairs, turning on the flashlight of his phone to see as he was too lazy to bother turning on the lamp. Unfortunately, his laziness cost him, as he accidentally tripped on a pair of shoes he wore yesterday and fell on the ground, flattening his cereal box. 

 

Horyeong groaned, rubbing the sore spot on his cheek, when he heard some shuffling on the bed; he must have accidentally woken up his brother. 

 

“Are you awake?” he asked Daun, who was now slowly sitting up from the bed, as far as Horyeong could tell. The room was still dark after all, so he couldn’t see if Daun’s eyes were opened or not. “It’s like noon.”

 

Daun let out a yawn, and Horyeong still didn’t know if he was looking at him or not. “Time is a construct,” he said, before lying back down on the bed. 

 

“Pfft, only you would know, mister look at me, I’m taking physics,” Horyeong mocked him, heading back to his bed with his phone and cereal box. “Oh, but your favorite class is engineering right now, isn’t it?”

 

Daun sat up from his bed again, and now Horyeong was sure he was looking straight at him. “Why do you sound mad?” he asked, confused. “My favorite class is psychology, idiot.”

 

“I’m not mad,” Horyeong said too quickly. He opened the cereal box and took out a handful, stuffing it in his mouth. 

 

“Whatever you say,” Daun muttered, yawning again. “, you said it was noon? Why are you just now eating cereal?”

 

Horyeong shrugged, grabbing another handful as he watched Daun get up from his bed. “Zeth and Seulchan were arguing in the chat again,” he said. 

 

A sudden brightness enveloped the room, causing Horyeong to shut his eyes for a few seconds out of reflex. Daun must have the lamp. “When are Zeth and Seulchan not arguing,” Daun muttered before trudging his way to Horyeong, opening his palm. “Give me some, I’m hungry."

 

“ Someone doesn’t know their magic words,” Horyeong said, while shaking some of the cereal onto Daun’s palm. “We should probably make something later, I’m hungry."

 

“ We? Sorry, sir, but I’m not moving from my bed at all today,” Daun said, throwing himself back onto his bed. “I have a marathon to watch.”

 

“Streaming every Girl’s Generation music video in existence is not a ‘marathon’” Horyeong scolded him. 

 

Daun raised an eye. “Shut the up,” he said, taking out his phone. “If you want to drag my somewhere, you're going to have to do that yourself.”

 

***

 

“Someone looks like their was dragged here,” Dongin said to Donghwi at the ice cream shop that Saturday. 

 

It was 2 PM, prime time where people were getting in the mood for ice cream, which meant Haneul was stuck working in the ice cream shop.

 

Obviously, this meant that the rest of the friendship crew went along. 

 

Donghwi looked at the person who just entered the ice cream shop. “Isn’t that Daun, the guy Jae I has been hanging out with?” he asked. 

 

Dongin nodded. “Yeah, that’s- holy , you’re right.” He leaned forward to take Jae I’s ice cream bowl, the latter having been in an aggressive discussion with Baekgyeol about whether February should have 30 days. “Dude, you’re boyfriend’s here.”

 

Jae I’s eyes turned wide. “I- I don’t have a boyfriend, haha, who told you that?” he said, looking around when he got an even more surprised look. “Oh my god, it’s the love of my life-”

 

Uiyeon sighed, even though he wasn’t paying attention to any of them; he had been focused on watching Haneul the entire time. “The love of my life,” he said, repeating Jae I’s words.

 

“I can’t believe you guys have gotten more disgusting than Dongin and Hwalchan over here,” Baekgyeol said, pointing at the two. Hwalchan hadn’t been speaking, focused on doing his homework, while Dongin and Donghwi were just chilling. “And they're the only couple."

 

“I don’t have to be sappy in public to show my affection towards Dongin,” Hwalchan said, not looking up from his notebook; he had been writing some terms. “Now leave me alone, I don’t like being compared.”
 

Dongin set his hand on the table, inching it closer to Hwalchan. “Can I… can I grab your hand, though?” he asked, pouting.

 

“Dongin, I’m right-handed,” Hwalchan said, turning the page of his textbook and continuing to write (with his right hand, of course.) 

 

“Dammit,” Dongin mumbled, choosing to steal Uiyeon’s cookies instead, the latter still making heart eyes at Haneul. 

 

Well, now he wasn’t the only one, Donghwi noticed, as Jae I was now looking intently at Daun who just entered the store, his brother behind him. He looked like he had been in bed all day, his hair all messy. 

 

“Can I have a big bowl of ice cream?” Daun asked Haneul. “What’s the biggest one you got-”

 

“I told you ice cream for breakfast isn’t healthy,” his brother scolded him. 

 

“I’ll have oreos in it, and oreo is a cookie and it’s close to granola,” Daun torted back to him. 

 

“Our biggest bowl has five scoops,” Haneul said. “So you can pick any if you want. We can also add toppings."

 

“Sweet, I’ll take it,” Daun said, scooting over to the display case to look at the flavors. “I’ll have oreo, raspberry cheesecake, mocha espresso-”

 

Hearing all those flavors was making Donghwi hungry again, so he stole one of the cookies that Dongin had in his hands (which haven’t been his anyways.) “I’m so ing hungry,” Donghwi complained. “Are we heading to the pasta place later as planned?”

 

“Hold on, I need to hatch up a plan,” Jae I said, grabbing Hwalchan’s notebook and ripping out a page before handing it back to him. “Thanks, Hwalchan, I love you.”

 

“You didn’t even ask me for it,” Hwalchan said, not even looking up as he continued writing terms.

 

Donghwi rolled his eyes. “Jae I, you don’t even have a pen.”

 

“I know that, give me a second-”

 

Hwalchan grabbed his pencil pouch and took out a pencil to hand to Jae I before the latter could steal any more of his stuff. “You better give it back, it’s one of my favorites.”

 

“You are literally the dumbest person I have ever heard of,” Baekgyeol said, getting ignored by Jae I who was hastily scribbling some stuff down. “Jae I, get a grip, por favor-”

 

“He’s not the only one you should be telling that,” Dongin muttered, pointing at a star-struck Uiyeon beside him. “I’m starting to wonder if he’s dead.”

 

Hwalchan looked up from his notebook, staring straight in front of him, only to look back down again. “Daun is coming over here,” he said nonchalantly.

 

“Daun is WHAT-” Jae I screamed, turning around to indeed see Daun a mere three feet away from him. “Oh, hey, Daun, haha, weird bumping into you here! What are you here for, anyways?”

 

Daun, who was holding his freshly made ice cream bowl (you had to admit, Haneul worked fast), swallowed a bite he had already taken of his dessert before responding. “I heard my name being mentioned,” he answered calmly, shrugging. “Figured you wanted to say hi or something. And literally what other reason would I come here for other than ice cream?”

 

“Um, well, uh- Haneul also sells nachos,” Jae I stammered, scratching the back of his neck. “But, uh- yeah, he puts a ton of jalapenos and you always end up crying when you finish eating them.”

 

“No, you’re just a wimp,” Baekgyeol said, interrupting their conversation. “Daun, you know how awful he handles his spicy food-”

 

“Baekgyeol, you’re not really contributing anything to the conversation,” Dongin said, grabbing Hwalchan’s textbook momentarily to smack Baekgyeol.

 

“Well, it’s true- 

 

“I was going to ask you to sit with us but clearly we need to get out of here before he murders us,” Jae I suggested, getting up from his seat. “You have no idea what that guy is capable of-”

 

Hwalchan closed his notebook, sighing. He forgot how he can never get anything accomplished with them. “You guys are too chaotic.”

 

“No, you should sit with us, ignore that devil,” Dongin said to Daun. “Jae I mentioned an assignment you guys had in your engineering class?”

 

Daun grimaced. “Oh god, the assignment, I haven’t even started,” he said, setting his bowl down in front of him. “Me and my brother haven’t done anything all day- wait a minute-” Daun looked behind him to see his brother still standing next to the counter. “Horyeong, what are you doing?”

 

Horyeong shrugged, pointing towards the back. “I think the guy’s brother had some boxes fall on him or something."

 

“No wonder Uiyeon’s now pouting,” Baekgyeol said, poking Uiyeon’s neck.

 

Donghwi sighed, getting up from his seat. “I’ll go get Haneul,” he said. “Hyogi must have worn his heelys again.”
 

He leaned over the counter as the group now forgot about Hyogi’s mishap and were trying to coax Daun. “Haneul! What the hell happened?”

 

Him and Horyeong, who was still waiting for his ice cream order, both heard Haneul yell back. “Hyogi’s covered in chocolate syrup! We’re good!”

 

Donghwi took out another twenty and set it on the register before stealing a cookie from the counter. “That Hyogi, what a stubborn brother. If thought that you or Baekgyeol gave mean glares, they’re nothing compared to what those two give each other.”

 

Horyeong could almost physically feel a light bulb go off in his head. “You're the one who insisted that I was glaring at his friend.”

 

Donghwi shrugged. “You technically were, although, to be fair, everyone glares at Jae I,” he admitted, looking back to the group where Daun was now sitting at the table with them while Jae I looked like he was about to pass out. “Oh, -”

 

Haneul came out of the back room, his cheeks and arms smeared with chocolate syrup. “I think Hyogi planned it, not gonna lie,” he said, rubbing off some of the chocolate on his cheek only to get it on his hand. “Because now he’s going back home to shower and I just know he’s not going to come back.”

 

“Sounds like Hyogi all right,” Donghwi said, taking a bite of the cookie he got. “On a Saturday, no less.”

 

Haneul grabbed the napkin roll he had next to the register and ripped a piece. “There went my plans for today.”

 

“Wait, didn’t you say your parents run this place?” Horyeong piped up. “Why do I never see them here?”

 

“Pfft, they’re only here while Hyogi and I are at school,” Haneul said. He tried to wipe the chocolate off but all it did was get stuck to his arm. “That’s ing nasty.”

 

“You’re going to have to wash those with water,” Donghwi pointed out. “Or else you’ll look like a chicken.”

 

“Ha! Like Jae I over there,” Haneul said, pointing at the group. “He’s going to faint from embarrassment, I just know- hold on, when’s the last time he dated someone? Poor dude’s awkward as hell.”

 

“Yep, just like you and someone I know,” Donghwi muttered, stealing another cookie. “I’m not surprised.”