Danger Territory

The Stars at Night

Neither of them could go to sleep, Horyeong realized early on. 

 

He had had his phone under the covers, scrolling through tik tok with his ty earbuds, occasionally opening the group chat with Seulchan and Zeth. 

 

He thought of earlier, when he had asked Daun his opinion regarding Donghwi. Daun kept asking over and over for why Horyeong was even asking, to which he had replied that there was no reason. 

 

“Really? You expect me to believe there’s no reason?” Daun asked. 

 

“Yep,” Horyeong said, popping the p. He was trying to type on the discord, but couldn’t remember what he was going to say. “He’s a new friend, you know.”

 

“You never asked for an opinion about Seulchan or Zeth-“

 

“That’s different, we grew up in that city.”

 

Horyeong continued typing his message when Daun spoke again. “You are a big hypocrite, you know.”

 

“A WHAT?!” Horyeong slammed his laptop shut, glaring at him- , he did have a glaring problem. “Hypocrite of what??”

 

“For being so worried about me and Jae I when you have your own matters you’re getting into.” 

 

Daun marched back towards his bed, dramatically pulling back the covers. “And again, good NIGHT!!”

 

“ing baby.”

 

Horyeong turned off his earbuds and pulled them out of his ear, scoffing to himself thinking about the exchange earlier. How dare Daun call him a hypocrite. He was one to talk. 

 

“This still awake.”

 

Horyeong turned off his phone, freezing momentarily before taking the covers off his head. “Shut up."

 

There, in the dark, Daun was eating a bowl of what appeared to be cereal. 

 

“And you aren’t?” Horyeong got up, throwing his phone and earbuds to the bedside. “I’m surprised I didn’t hear you eat that cereal from here.”

 

Daun didn’t reply, taking another bite and chewing. 

 

They sat like that in silence for what was probably a good minute or so, until Daun spoke up. “I’m thinking.” 

 

“That has been proven to be dangerous,” Horyeong said, taunting him.

 

“Yeah, I see that now.” 

 

Daun set his bowl down on the ground slowly before sitting normally again, hands crossed against his chest. “Hmm.”

 

“... do you want a melatonin pill?” Horyeong suggested. “It should help stop the thinking.”

 

“That’s temporary,” Daun said. The fact that he made no effort to lie down and sleep was terrifying for Horyeong, but there wasn’t anything he could really do. “I guess you’ll just have to wait until Monday.”

 

“... what’s up Monday?” Horyeong asked, not quite liking these cryptic responses. 

 

Daun finally, finally, laid down on his bed, though he still had his hands crossed as he now stared at the ceiling. “Something dangerous.”

 

***

 

On Sunday, Horyeong was walking around the island when he found a ten thousand won note stuck in an air vent. 

 

Now, he probably should have kept it in case he needed it for something. But, against his better judgement, he found himself heading towards the ice cream parlour. 

 

He didn’t really eat ice cream that much, if he were honest. Nor sweets in general. But for some reason he was craving an ice cream sundae. Would he have been craving it if he didn’t find the won? Probably not, but who knows. 

 

Also, it’s a ing ice cream. Why was he so serious about it? God ing dammit.

 

When he entered the ice cream parlour, as it was a Sunday mid afternoon, there were loads of people inside the place. Horyeong wasn’t too fond of crowds anyways, but oh well, he was already here. 

 

He stood in line for a while, checking his phone every now and then. Daun was back at home, supposedly doing his homework, but really ing around on his phone. 

 

“Hello, welcome to- oh.” Haneul sighed. “What do you want-“

 

“Excellent customer service you got there,” Horyeong said.

 

Haneul rolled his eyes. “I’m working all day. I really don't want to be here.”

 

Horyeong stared at the menu, not quite knowing what he wanted. “You can always just walk out-“

 

“And be grounded for the rest of my life? I don’t think so,” Haneul whispered.

 

“Actually, until you're eighteen,” Horyeong said. “You have friends, you know, if you're worried about being kicked out. You all look like the type to help each other.”

 

Haneul frowned, staring at the register. “Yeah, I’ve been applying to colleges behind their backs, but who knows. Everyone will leave eventually.”

 

Horyeong suddenly felt guilty of having the conversation turn very negative, so he quickly changed the subject. “Can I have a waffle cone with two scoops?” he asked, handing Haneul the won. “One raspberry cheesecake, one birthday cake.”

 

“Sounds good,” Haneul said, ringing it up while taking the bill. “They’re sitting over there at the corner by the way, if you wanted to join.”

 

Horyeong looked around, where he saw that near the end of the parlour, Dongin, Baekgyeol and Uiyeon were sitting at a table, also eating their ice cream. 

 

After receiving his change, he waited for his ice cream to be made before making his way to the table. They didn’t seem surprised, as they had seen him walk in earlier, and had already scooted to make room for him. 

 

“It’s just you today,” Dongin said, grabbing a spoonful of his sundae. “Usually Daun is with you.” 

 

“I was walking around and found money,” Horyeong answered truthfully. “So I said why not. Daun also woke up late and cranky, so when he said he was doing homework, I let him be.”

 

“Jae I hasn’t said anything about today, but knowing them two, somebody’s gonna ask out the other later,” Baekgyeol added. 

 

Horyeong nodded, taking a bite of his ice cream cone. “They compliment each other quite well.” 

 

Uiyeon sighed. “Everyone is getting coupled up.” 

 

“At this point I don’t know what you want us to do,” Dongin said. “Lock you two up in a room together? Come on Uiyeon. Look how hard working he is right now. I’m surprised no one has asked him out yet in this damn parlour-“

 

Uiyeon, who had chosen that moment to take a bite of his ice cream, immediately started choking violently, hitting his chest.

 

“Oh my ing god, you useless gay -“ Baekgyeol started hitting his back, Uiyeon coughing less and less until he finally started breathing normally again. “You know it’s true, Uiyeon.”

 

“I- I don’t want to imagine someone asking him out,” Uiyeon said, his voice still a little rough. “I- he’s stunning, someone will-“

 

Horyeong ate some of his ice cream in silence, watching the three bicker of Uiyeon’s stupidity. 

 

Why would you take so long to ask someone out? You’ll never get a definite answer of knowing someone likes you or not, unless they confessed it to someone else and you find out. 

 

There’s no way of knowing. The only way of there being progress is taking the leap itself.

 

He thought of Daun and Jae I. Daun wasn’t so interested in the beginning, in Horyeong’s opinion. But now he was giggling over their text messages and becoming a blushing mess whenever Jae I was present. 

 

What was stopping Jae I from asking him out? He must have known Daun was reciprocating feelings right now. Was he scared? Was it to protect himself? Did he change his mind?

 

Horyeong didn’t understand crushes at all. 

 

***

 

When their last class finished on Monday, Daun packed his stuff as normal, though he was doing it slowly. 

 

Jae I had already crammed his stuff in his bag, tapping his fingers excitedly on his desk. “Do you plan on doing anything today after school?” he asked.

 

Daun shook his head. “No~” he drawled out. “What did you have in mind?” 

 

“Well….I was thinking we could go to the park!” Jae I exclaimed. “I can buy you something from a food truck! I’m sure you're hungry.”

 

“Are you calling me fat,” Daun asked him, knowing he didn’t really care. 

 

Jae I’s face instantly got red. “What? No, I- Daun, I swear-” 

 

Daun laughed, zipping up his backpack once everything was in there. “Jae I. It’s a joke. Don’t think too much about it-”

 

“No but REALLY!?” Jae I screamed, waving his hands around. “I wasn’t trying to call you fat, I was just asking because you know lunch period was hours ago and-”

 

“Bro, it’s okay, I- JAE I!” Daun grabbed both of Jae I’s hands, holding them as they made eye contact. “It’s a joke. I’m fine, seriously. I know you don’t mean it, trust me.” 

 

Jae I’s face got red as he stared at their interlocked hands. “Sorry.” 

 

“Oh, you’ll be fine.” Daun tugged his hand, pulling him out of his chair to lead them out of the classroom. “Let’s get out of this stupid building.” 

 

***

 

Horyeong found himself walking with Donghwi and Dongin after school, his younger brother off to do something with his now-apparently-is-a-crush. 

 

“Man, I can’t believe Jae I is getting together with someone before ing Uiyeon and Haneul,” Dongin said. Dongin lived closer by the school, so they were heading his way first. Usually he would hang out with Donghwi at his house, but he had an appointment after school where his mother was taking him. 

 

“I hope they pull out all your teeth and make you an old man,” Donghwi said, kicking a pebble on the sidewalk. “You know damn well you and Hwalchan were worse-”

 

“No we were NOT!” Dongin grabbed the handle of Donghwi’s backpack on his back and pulled it, causing his best friend to stumble slightly backwards. “Anyways. We might have to stage an intervention at this point.” 

 

Horyeong’s eyes widened at the word intervention. “I- are you sure that’s a good idea?” 

 

Donghwi threw his arm at Dongin, who managed to block his punch. “Nah, it’ll be fine,” he said to Horyeong. “We’ve had worse-”

 

“It sounds invasive but it’s not- WOAH!” Dongin grabbed Horyeong and hid behind him, using him as a shield. “We are PLAY fighting, remember?!” 

 

Donghwi shrugged, grabbing Horyeong’s wrist and pulling him away. “I don’t remember accepting those terms and conditions.”

 

“Yeah, whatever- ANYWAYS!” Dongin took a deep breath. “We should do something about those two.”

 

“I think they’ll be fine.” Donghwi pointed at one of the streets. “Buh-bye, loser, abandon me like how you always do.”

 

“Oh shut up.” Dongin sprinted past Donghwi and Horyeong, waving at them. “Good bye, y’all, pray that I don’t have cavities!”

 

“I’ll pray that you have FIVE!!” Donghwi shouted back, watching Dongin run away. 

 

Once Donghwi was out of sight, he turned to look at Horyeong, who only stared at him back. “Okay, well…” Donghwi shrugged his shoulders. “Where do you live?”

 

“Oh, I’m…. Just walking around…” Horyeong stammered, looking around the neighborhood they were in; any excuse not to look at Donghwi. “I can take you… home, if you want.”

 

Donghwi raised an eye but didn’t comment on it, instead gesturing his hand towards the street. “You know where I live,” he said. “Lead the way.”

 

“Oh, right-“

 

Horyeong sped past Donghwi, the two walking down the street. Luckily, Donghwi didn’t say anything else to make it awkward.

 

Though, as they walked in silence, Horyeong couldn’t help but steal glances at Donghwi besides him, and he could feel the goosebumps all over his neck. 

 

——

 

When they arrived to Donghwi’s house, Horyeong stuffed his hand in his pockets. “I think we’re here.”

 

“Hmm, what gave it away, my house?”

 

“Shut up, you know what I meant.”

 

Donghwi walked to his front door, taking out his keys when he looked behind him to see Horyeong still standing by the mailbox, an unreadable expression on his face. 

 

“Ah, right,” Horyeong said, almost as if he were snapped out of a daze. “I’ll get going then, I’ll see you in school tomorrow-”

 

“You should come in,” Donghwi blurted out. 

 

Horyeong blinked, the words Donghwi said still processing in his brain. “Are… you sure?’

 

Donghwi nodded rapidly. “Yeah. To play games.”

 

“Right, right, playing games,” Horyeong agreed, stepping closer to the front door. “Sounds good.”

 

***

 

Somehow, they found themselves at a park, the two sitting on a bench in front of the water fountain. 

 

“I’m not excited for it to get cold,” Daun said, sighing. “I want this weather to last.”

 

“Oh, don’t worry,” Jae I said, trying to cheer him up. “Jeju is actually the warmest part of Korea. You’re much better off here.”

 

Daun hummed, and for a split second Jae I wondered if he said something wrong, until Daun finally spoke up. “I’ll have you to keep me warm.” 

 

Jae I stared at him, confused. Daun was looking at the fountain in front of him, giving Jae I no hint whatsoever of what he meant. “What do you mean?”

 

Daun turned his head, causing the two to make eye contact. “Jae I…” he said softly. “You should keep me warm.”

 

Jae I could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand. Daun was talking about being warm but Jae I was the one whose body was on fire. “How should I do that?” he asked quietly. 

 

Daun leaned closer towards Jae I; they had already been seated right next to each other with mere inches of space between them, so Daun was now right in his face. “My lips are cold.”

 

For once, Jae I finally got the hint, his eyes widening once he realized. 

 

Was… was Daun asking to kiss him?

 

Jae I stared at his lips, the smooth pink lips on Daun’s face. They looked soft. They looked warm. Daun was lying, there was no way his lips were cold. 

 

Only one way to find out Jae I thought to himself as he leaned forward, connecting his lips with Daun’s.