Dandelion of Madness

The Stars at Night

"It’s not your fault,” Dongin said. “You didn’t know.”

 

The group had mostly finished eating, only picking apart their dessert while chatting with each other. Well, everyone except Donghwi, who left them his credit card before claiming he had to leave to do something. 

 

Dongin and Horyeong were outside, sitting on the curb together. Horyeong’s mother had called him, asking how it was going, and Dongin was trying to blow up Donghwi phone’s, but to no avail. 

 

“No, it is. I clearly don’t know how to keep my mouth shut.” Horyeong sighed. “My brother was already on my for prying too much.”

 

“Prying?” Dongin asked. “Let me guess, about Jae I?”

 

“No I was not- okay, maybe a little,” Horyeong trailed off quietly. “Well, it’s not my fault.”

 

Dongin snorted, turning off his phone. He figured he’ll head over to Donghwi’s house after dropping off Hwalchan. “You’re going to have a field day once those two are dating.”

 

“Once- what makes you so sure of it?” Horyeong asked him. 

 

Dongin gestured inside the restaurant. “Oh, don’t tell me you didn’t notice how they were acting during dinner.”

 

Yep, Horyeong did notice. While Daun was still usually quiet with the group, he did comment more often here and there. And not only was he having a long conversation with Jae I, he even let the latter feed him. 

 

Jae I would often lean over and give Daun whatever was in his chopsticks, whether it was some type of meat, or a piece of tempura, or rice or whatever. Horyeong swore that each passing day the two were getting closer and closer. 

 

He was positive those two were going to start dating any day now, and Horyeong didn’t know how he felt about it. 

 

Meanwhile, Donghwi acted normal during the whole dinner, yet Horyeong couldn’t help but feel something was off. His moves were calculated, like he had rehearsed how to act.

 

“Are you sure Donghwi is alright?” Horyeong asked Dongin again. 

 

Dongin didn’t answer his question, instead just giving him a smile. “I know where he keeps his key hidden. I’ve dealt with this before.”

 

Horyeong nodded, though he still felt uneasy. “What does ‘this’ consist of?”

 

Dongin got up from where he had been sitting on the ground. “We should go back inside before Baekgyeol starts hitting people. Last thing we need is for Uiyeon to break his nose again.” 

 

***

 

Jae I had insisted on walking Daun home, so now Daun was walking with him, his brother a few steps behind them. 

 

At first Daun thought it was weird, but then slowly realized that Horyeong wasn’t even paying attention to them, so it was a bit better, he supposed.

 

“He’s acting a bit weird,” Daun muttered to himself, stealing another glance before focusing back on the road. 

 

“Who, Horyeong?” Jae I asked, turning around to look at Horyeong. He didn’t appear to be focusing on anything in particular, just staring off in the distance. “Maybe. Who walks without being on their phone?”

 

“Normal people who don’t want to get run over.” Daun pulled out his phone, checking the time. It wasn’t that late, so at least he had all night to pester him about it. “But seriously, he’s… not himself, I guess.”

 

Jae I shrugged, kicking a rock that was on the sidewalk. “Maybe he’s thinking about Donghwi.”

 

“Donghwi?” Daun stared at Jae I, and despite feeling his neck get hot as they made eye contact, he tried his best to ignore it. “Why him, of all people?”

 

Daun didn’t forget about his and Horyeong’s outburst before dinner had even started. But he couldn’t say anything to Donghwi as everyone was too busy trying to move the conversation forward and pretend it never happened, so unfortunately Daun had to play along. 

 

“Well… if I’m honest with you, Donghwi was always the quietest of the group,” Jae I explained. “Even Hwalchan speaks more than him. But if Donghwi isn’t talking to Dongin, he doesn’t really talk to anyone.”

 

“He speaks every now and then,” Daun disagreed. “To be fair, it’s usually you, Baekgyeol or Hanuel arguing-” 

 

“How dare you assume I argue.” Jae I crossed his arms, faking a pout. “Not you lumping me with them.” 

 

Daun laughed, holding onto Jae I’s shoulder as he kicked a rock on the road. He didn’t see the way Jae I’s face flushed at the sudden contact. “You’ll be fine.”

 

“I- I hope so,” Jae I stuttered, staring at Daun’s face. Gosh, the latter’s cheeks were so perfect, he told himself he would limit how much time he would spend obsessing over them. “I trust you.”

 

***

 

It wasn’t until Friday morning when Horyeong was able to talk to Donghwi again. 

 

Whenever he saw him at lunch or in the hallways, Donghwi didn’t speak. And Horyeong felt really, really guilty. He knew this was his wrongdoing. 

 

So, when Horyeong saw Donghwi at the lunch line by himself that Friday, Horyeong didn’t hesitate to slide his tray next to the other, startling Donghwi. 

 

Before even giving Donghwi time to react, Horyeong stared at him while grabbing a rice bowl, speaking in one very long sentence. 


“I know you probably don’t want to hear it but I’m sorry it was highly inappropriate for me to make that comment I hope I didn’t make you upset and I understand if you want to drop the subject since we are in school so I’ll change it for you wow have you SEEN the way they cook this pork belly?”

 

Donghwi blinked, staring at the pork belly Horyeong was now grabbing while taking quick breaths of air. “Um… have you considered being a rapper?”

 

Out of all the comments Donghwi could have made, Horyeong didn’t expect a rapper comment. “I tried. Didn’t work. Zeth yelled at me.”

 

Donghwi rolled his eyes, grinning as he paid attention to the line again, grabbing a bowl of soup. “Why am I not surprised-”

 

“Hey, I’ll have you know that Zeth has bad taste in music so it wasn’t my fault,” Horyeong defended himself. “His music obsessions change every week so his opinion is invalid.” 

 

“I feel slightly offended.” Donghwi grabbed two bottles of chilled green tea, place them on his tray. “I have a new favorite artist every month. 

 

“Huh. Never would have expected that from you. Figured you were the type to stick to old school and not deviate from there.”

 

Donghwi whipped around, raising an eye. “Making assumptions today, aren’t we?”

 

“Okay, well, what’s the artist for this month?” Horyeong asked. 

 

“Vanner, for your information- hello miss.” Donghwi pulled out his wallet to swipe his meal card as he talked to the lunch lady. 

 

When he was done, Donghwi stepped aside, waiting for Horyeong to do the same.

 

Right after Horyeong got out of line, Donghwi added, “The month before was Taylor Swift, and before that it was Kendrick Lamar.”

 

Horyeong grinned at him, and for some weird reason Donghwi felt a lump in his chest for a brief moment. “Suggestion for next month, try some Japanese rock or something.” 


 

***

 

At the end of school, Daun was heading home alone, as Horyeong was invited to go to Donghwi’s house again to play video games, along with Dongin and his boyfriend Hwalchan. 

 

He invited his younger brother, but Daun had declined, saying he was getting ready to go out to eat later with Jae I.

 

“With what money?” Horyeong asked. “I thought he was broke.

 

Daun shrugged. “I don’t know. He told me what we were doing was a surprise.”

 

“Wait, you’re doing MORE things? This sounds like a date-“

 

“Oh my god shut UP no it is not.”

 

“-BRO!!” Dongin pretended to throw his controller on the ground. “ YOU! I WAS IN FIRST PLACE THE ENTIRE RACE!”

 

Donghwi shrugged, giving him a dead stare. “Kiss my ing , you whining -"

 

“Babe. Help me. Help meeeeeeee-”

 

Hwalchan set his controller down gently on the coffee table before reaching for his juice pouch. “Game must be rigged-”

 

“No, give him your actual answer,” Donghwi said, his eyes glued to the television as he scheduled another rematch for the four of them.

 

“No, don’t listen to him, I like praises-”

 

Horyeong, who had unfortunately chosen that moment to take a sip of his soda, spewed it all over his pants, praying to god it didn’t land on the carpet. 

 

Donghwi snorted, covering his mouth. “God damn-”

 

“Bro, your head is in the gutter.” Dongin started laughing, leaning back on the couch as he crossed his legs. “Yo, that reminds me, did you hear the Baekgyeol was saying earlier at lunch regarding Uiyeon and Haneul-”

 

“He’s so ing nosy,” Donghwi muttered, reaching over to grab a pretzel from one of the bowls he had on the table. “Oh, did you place your bet?”

 

“I give it six months- Hwalchan, you good?” 

 

Hwalchan, who was sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table, had his arms resting on it, staring at his lap. “Hm?”

 

“Are you sick?” Donghwi asked, getting off from the couch to head towards the kitchen. “I got some medicine-”

 

“No, I- I have to go.” Hwalchan got off the floor, grabbing his backpack that was laying nearby. “I have to watch my siblings-”

 

“I can walk you-”

 

“No, Dongin, I got it,” Hwalchan interrupted him, heading towards the foyer leaving everyone in confusion. 

 

***
 

When Horyeong got home, he decided to stay in the room for the rest of the night. 

 

He had been doing homework for a while on his laptop, every now and then switching tabs to the group chat. He had his earbuds in, so when he looked up after the light being in the room, he was surprised to see Daun. 

 

“What are you looking so shocked for? I live here too.” Daun threw his bag on the floor before throwing himself on his bed, staring at the ceiling while groaning. “I am in painnnnnnnnn-”

 

“I don’t need to hear about you being a bottom.” Horyeong paused his music and took out his earbuds, only to be hit in the face with a pillow. “OW!”

 

“Oh, the day I lose my ity, you are going to hear all about it, I’ll make sure of it.” Daun sat up on his bed, kicking off his shoes. “I’m tired cause we were being chased, you ing idiot-”

 

Horyeong’s eyes widened. “You were being WHAT?!?!”

 

“We were leaving dinner and saw a group of people beating someone up in an alley, and when they noticed we saw them they started chasing us as well.” Daun sighed. “Kind of ruined the vibe of the whole date."

 

Horyeong could feel how fast his heart was beating at the mention of his little brother being chased. He mentally thanked the heavens above that Daun appeared to be unscratched- wait a minute. “... the date?”

 

Daun blinked in response, staring down at his feet. “I think it was one. We went to the playground and ate dinner.”

 

“The playground? That’s kind of odd,” Horyeong mumbled. “Why there of all places?”

 

“We were on the swings.” Daun dug his hand into his pocket, pulling out what appeared to be weeds. “He made me a dandelion crown.”

 

“It’s gotta be a date then, that sounds like flirting,” Horyeong explained. 

 

Daun sighed, getting underneath his covers. “Good night-”

 

“You don’t sleep in jeans,” Horyeong said, paying attention back to his laptop. 

 

“ you.” 

 

Horyeong could hear how Daun got out of his bed again and marched towards the closet to get a pair of sweatpants, but by then he was too distracted on his discord account, where Seulchan and Zeth were now arguing over whether they should visit Horyeong during fall or winter break.

 

“Hey, quick question.” Horyeong didn’t bother looking at his brother, too scared to witness his reaction. “What’s your opinion on Donghwi?”

 

“Opinion? Like what I think he is as a person?” Daun changed into his pajama outfit, kicking off his socks as well. It was too warm in this room. “I think he’s chill. Tries to come off as cold but anyone could see through that. I don’t know. Why do you ask?”

 

Horyeong focused on his computer. “No reason, just asking.”