Chapter 6: Frozen

Before You Looked At Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weekend had passed and it was 3 days since Haseul found herself wrapped in Jungeun’s sheets. The memories of the previous night had come back to her one by one. The extreme guilt she felt towards her fiancé had been overpowering her for the past few days.

Jiwoo had noticed Haseul was a bit distant and been extra sweet to her, interpreting it as nerves with the wedding approaching. Which made Haseul feel even worse. How could she continue to lie to the woman she loved with their special day only being mere weeks away?

Looking back at the night she had spent with Jungeun she could not believe it had happened. What led her to betray Jiwoo and jump into bed with the woman who had neglected her friendship for the past 5 years?

These thoughts were running through her mind as she was tossing in her bed unable to get back to sleep at 4 AM. Haseul turned over and faced her fiancé, passed out peacefully. Haseul couldn’t bear to look at her while having these thoughts and pulled the covers over her head.

Closing her eyes her mind went back to that night. Jungeun, kissing her neck. Jungeun, touching her body. Jungeun, making her feel incredible. Haseul felt breathless. Her eyes shot open. 

Every time she got lost in these thoughts she felt out of this world. Then she would think of Jiwoo and feel guilt and betrayal overtake her emotions. Only she couldn’t help herself from having these thoughts. She enjoyed every second she had spent with Jungeun and couldn’t shake it. How was she supposed to live with this? Feeling good cheating on her fiancé? How was she supposed to tell Jiwoo it was a harmless mistake and didn’t mean anything when that wasn’t the truth…

Haseul couldn’t take it anymore. She turned to Jiwoo again and shook her arm trying to wake her. Jiwoo groaned at the sudden contact.

“What is it, baby?” She let out groggy. 
“I can’t sleep,” Haseul whispered.

Jiwoo sat up and looked her in the eyes. 
“What can I do to help you sleep?”
“There’s the thing, I don’t want to go back to sleep,” Haseul said.

She pushed Jiwoo onto her back and wasted no time climbing on top of her connecting their lips. Haseul kissed Jiwoo eagerly but didn’t feel the same eagerness from her fiancé. Jiwoo was taken aback by Haseul’s suddenness removing her lips from hers.

“Haseul-” Jiwoo chuckled.
“You really wanna do this at 4 AM?

“Please honey, I really need this,” Haseul begged.
Jiwoo laughed. She couldn’t resist Haseul so it wasn’t hard to give in.

“Well anything to help you,” Jiwoo said.
Haseul closed the gap between them and they continued where they left off.

Haseul’s lips were locked with Jiwoo’s, but her mind wasn’t set on her fiancé at all. All she was thinking of was Jungeun. As Haseul’s mind continued to drift off to that night her kisses with Jiwoo turned more passionate. She felt a pit in her stomach grow as they went on.

Haseul’s hands traveled underneath Jiwoo’s pajama shirt and she felt her bite her lip as a response. Jiwoo pulled away briefly. “I don’t know what has gotten into you, but it’s really hot,” she said between breaths.

“Sssh honey! No talking,” Haseul said leaning in again. This time to kiss Jiwoo’s neck. She groaned as a response. Haseul thought about the kisses Jungeun had placed on her neck. She had to get rid of this burning pit in her stomach, so she did everything that night to please her fiancé and make her feel good.

The next morning Haseul woke up extremely tired. Events from her early morning session with Jiwoo had not helped her get more rest. Jiwoo was already up and roaming the kitchen making breakfast. Haseul decided to take a shower to awaken her body. 

Completing her morning routine in an orderly fashion, she entered the kitchen greeted by her fiancé. 

“Morning, baby! I made you coffee,” Jiwoo said, greeting her fiancé with a morning kiss.
Haseul took the cup with the dark hot liquid she had been craving. Jiwoo had made her morning coffee just the way she liked it. Black with no cream or sugars, just pure caffeine to wake her brain cells.

Jiwoo wrapped her arms around Haseul embracing her from behind. Haseul sighed into the hug. 
“You feel a bit better after last night?” Jiwoo asked with a smirk.

Haseul was happy Jiwoo couldn’t see her face because she felt extremely embarrassed and it took her a moment to recover from the shock.

“Yes, thank you for that, slept like a rose after,” Haseul lied to not hurt her fiancé’s feelings.
“Anytime for you baby,” Jiwoo placed a kiss on Haseul’s neck and pulled away from the embrace.

“I have to go now, I have an early client appointment. I guess I will see you for dinner?”
“Yeah- Good luck today,” Haseul said, faking her best smile.

“And I haven’t forgotten. I am cooking. I will do the groceries on my way home,” Jiwoo said as she put on her coat and grabbed her coat.

Haseul chuckled. “Can’t wait,”
“Okay, bye baby I love you,” Jiwoo said
“Love you too, have a good day,” 

The door shut and Haseul was left to herself. Jiwoo was being so sweet and thoughtful and in the meantime, Haseul felt she was lying to her at every moment. How was she supposed to go into marriage with such a heavy burden on her shoulders? Jiwoo had always been there to support her career and gave her the freedom to pursue her passions. 

Over the past years, Haseul was very invested in her job. She had been working closely on a few cases with her breakthrough being, the Save The Children project on orphans. This sometimes meant Haseul was at her office day and night and Jiwoo always encouraged her during these times.

Yes, she was generous, but could also be controlled from time to time, like over their finances and their social life, but most especially this wedding. 

Jiwoo wanted everything to be perfect from the cake to the bridesmaid's dresses; everything had to be the way she wanted it. Haseul had completely let go of the idea of getting involved. This was Jiwoo’s special day and she would do anything to make her happy. Haseul had always tried so hard to make Jiwoo happy as she had made her. Now she just threw what they built over 5 years away in one night.

These same thoughts had been hunting Haseul for the past few days. Even after her night with Jiwoo she still couldn't shake the thought of Jungeun out of her mind. She realized she had pictured Jungeun the entire time. As embarrassed as she was, she also felt a sense of mischievousness. 

Haseul couldn’t stand herself right now. What kind of horrible person doesn’t regret cheating on their fiancé? Then to make matters worse, can’t stop thinking about the dishonesty in question?

Haseul could not continue on like this. She had to do something because there was no point going on this way. She had to talk to Jungeun and talk about what had taken place. They had left things so badly that morning and it had only confused Haseul’s feelings more than they already were.

Hesitating Haseul reached for her phone in her purse dialing Jungeun’s phone number. Hearing it ring a couple of times she did not expect her to pick up. To her surprise, after the third ring, Jungeun picked up.

“Hello, this is Kim Jungeun chief editor of Seoul Daily Paper. How can I help you?”
For a moment Haseul was silent “Hello?” she heard from the other end of the line.

“Oh- Hey Jungeun it’s me, Haseul-” Haseul said shortly.

“Haseul? Why are you calling? And on my work phone too,” Jungeun asked surprised

“Wow, Jungeun you always cut right to the chase. And I thought you were more likely to answer here,” Haseul knew this journalist's tone and wasn’t about to be shut down by her this easily.

“Well, that is my job after all. Seriously though I am on my way to work, I can’t talk long so make it quick,”

“Well- I was wondering if we could talk later,” 

“Talk? Talk about what?” Jungeun asked.

“About what happened the other day Lip, don’t pretend you have already forgotten,” Haseul sighed. She knew Jungeun would get like this sometimes and just gloss over things like they never occurred.

For a moment it was silent on Jungeun’s side of the line. “Look Haseul, I have nothing else to say that I didn’t already say. I think it’s best if we both just forgot it ever happened and move on,”

“Here’s the thing Jungeun, I can’t move on without talking about it.” 

“Don’t be stupid and tell Jiwoo. There is no need to unnecessarily alarm her over this,” Jungeun responded immediately.

“I mean, talk to you. I need us to talk about this. Please Lip, let’s meet today after work,” Haseul begged.

Another silence fell between them. “I’m sorry Seulie. I can’t help you,” And with that Haseul heard the phone disconnect.

“Hello? Jungeun?” Haseul couldn’t believe she had actually hung up on her. She redialed the number several times but her calls went straight to voicemail. 

She groaned in frustration. Haseul got up from her chair and gathered her stuff for work. She was already running late and didn’t want to waste any more time. Consumed in mixed thoughts the young journalist left her apartment on her way to work.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter