Chapter 3: Uncover

Before You Looked At Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ The next Monday morning, current day ] 

 

Tangled up in her bedsheets Jungeun was awoken by the buzzing of her alarm. Groaning she reached over to her phone to turn off the noise. Usually, she slept through the first few alarms she set, but today she couldn’t fall back asleep. She had been sleeping badly this entire weekend because her mind was filled with thoughts about the conversation she had with Haseul. Just like she had been consumed by them the night before and the night before that. Jungeun hadn’t left her apartment all weekend and had spent it surviving off instant noodles and yogurt cups.

 

Haseul liked her back. The butterfly box was meant for her. Jungeun couldn’t believe it, all this time she thought the feelings she had deeply buried for her best friend were one-sided, but it turns out that Haseul had felt the same way all along.

 

Still, deep in thought, a drained-by-the-lack-of-sleep Jungeun got out of bed and prepared herself for a new day at the office. Jungeun skipped most of her usual morning routine like she had been doing all weekend. She made herself look somewhat decent before slamming the door of her apartment and rolling off to work.

 

She had not put much thought into her appearance today and entered her workplace slouching. Entering her office Jungeun threw her purse on her desk carelessly. As she was about to sit down in her chair someone stormed into her office. It was the senior editor who had been appointed to Jungeun’s old position after she was promoted to chief editor, Hyunjin.

 

“Hey Chief K, how’s it going?” Hyunjin said, without bothering to knock she walked right into Jungeun’s office. Jungeun was used to this. She and Hyunjin had a casual work relationship and got along well. Outside the office, they were friends who occasionally hung out. The entire foreign department team was focused on the underground black market case right now. Hyunjin and Jungeun were in charge of it.

 

“I found some interesting new information for our case. Have a look at-” Hyunjin stopped herself mid-sentence as she looked at her friend across the office. Jungeun looked terrible like she hadn’t had any sleep and just walked out of bed.

 

“Jungeun you look awful, what happened?” Hyunjin was usually not the concerned type. She was able to oversee a situation without letting her personal feelings get in the way, that is what made her a great journalist. However, right now she could see her friend was having a hard time. Hyunjin walked over to Jungeun’s desk and sat down on the corner of the table next to the other woman.

 

“Talk to me. What’s up?” Hyunjin asked again, giving Jungeun a look of comfort. Jungeun sighed and straightened herself in her chair making eye contact with Hyunjin.

 

“Something crazy happened Friday night-” Jungeun started, her voice came out raspy and deep as she had just drunk a full crate of beer. Hyunjin was startled by the tone of her voice and let out a chuckle. 

 

“Okay Santa Claus, let me get you some tea first.” Hyunjin got up from the corner of the table. She returned a moment later with a mug of steaming tea, along with some tea bags, a spoon and a honey cup. 

 

Jungeun thanked her and took the tea choosing a flavor and stirring in some of the honey. Taking a sip she took a deep breath and sat the hot mug down on her desk. 

 

“Thank you, I needed that,” Jungeun said relieved.

“So what was I saying again?”

“You were talking about something crazy that happened to you.” Hyunjin answered.

 

“Oh right-” Jungeun paused for a moment taking another sip from her tea. 

“Yeah so, Friday night I found out that someone I have feelings for- feels the same way. Actually she has felt the same way for a long time, but-” She paused again slurping her tea and holding the mug clenched in her hands.

“It’s too late, because she is already with someone else, but I can’t get her out of my head.” 

 

Hyunjin took in the words Jungeun had just spoken. “Wow that’s heavy, I’m sorry about that.” Hyunjin said. “How come you never told me you liked someone? Do I know her?” Hyunjin did know Haseul, because they were all in the same journalist world.

 

Jungeun swallowed. “You remember Jo Haseul?” She asked carefully. 

“From the Save The Children project? Of course! Wow , her writing about what goes on behind the closed doors of the orphan system in Korea was mind blowing. She could have gotten an award for that piece, but I heard she turned it down because telling the story and revealing the truth was more valuable to her than an award. Such an inspiration.” Hyunjin sighed in awe thinking about it.

 

“What about her?” Hyunjin looked over at Jungeun who looked away from her gaze. 

“Wait do you mean that-” Hyunjin connected the dots. “Jo Haseul is the one you have a crush on?” Hyunjin let out.

 

“ Sssssh tone it down” Jungeun shushed. 

“But yes okay, I’ve been in love with my best friend for over 5 years.” Jungeun buried her face in her hands. 

“Oh my god, Jungeun why did you never tell me this?” Hyunjin asked, as she placed her hand on her friend’s shoulder, comforting her. 

 

“Because I was embarrassed about how I felt for her. This has been going on since college and I should have told her way sooner, but I always assumed she would never see me that way. I was afraid to be rejected. God, I’m so stupid .” Jungeun dug her hands into her scalp. 

“Hey, but didn’t you say she felt the same way?” Why don’t you go after her?” Hyunjin said optimistically.

 

“I can’t- She's engaged .” Jungeun sighed, looking down at the ground.

“ Engaged?! ” Hyunjin jumped up from the table. 

“To whom ? ” 

 

“Kim Jiwoo, my other good friend-” Jungeun mumbled.

“Are they really your closest friends? I hardly hear you mention them?” Hyunjin was confused by Jungeun’s statement.

 

“Yeah you’re right I haven’t mentioned her much. We were super close in college, but after she and Jiwoo got together I kinda pushed her away. Jiwoo has been the persistent one in our friendship that’s why we are still in contact today.” Jungeun said.

 

“Wait you’ve told me about her before that name sounds familiar.” Hyunjin pulled out her phone and typed Jiwoo’s name into the search tab.

 

“ Bingo, she owned a beauty salon. My friend Jinsoul used to be a manager there before she started her own business.” Hyunjin laughed at the discovery. Seeing the sad look on her friend’s face she dropped her smile. 

 

“So who popped the question?” Hyunjin asked curiously.

“ Haseul did, ” Jungeun answered with hurt in her voice. Hyunjin swallowed at the response but came to her senses quickly.

 

“Hey come here, it is all gonna be okay we will find you someone. You don’t need them.” Hyunjin pulled Jungeun in for a hug. 

 

“ Wait , my friend Jinsoul is really cool-” Hyunjin pulled out of the hug and put her hands on Jungeun’s shoulders shaking her. 

“And really single! You two should totally go out together, why didn’t I think of her for you earlier?”

 

Jungeun loosened herself from Hyunjin’s grip. 

“I am not going on a date with your friend, that’s just weird.” The last thing she needed now was some blind date with one of Hyunjin’s hot friends.

 

“Come on KJ, you have nothing to lose. If it doesn’t work out you’ll just go on with your lives and if it does you will have a very attractive girlfriend. You need to get over Haseul, it’s time.”

 

Jungeun thought for a moment, her friend had a point, it was time to move on. 

“Okay then, one date, but if there is no connection between us, I don’t want to hear a word about it again.”

 

“ Deal! I am going to call her right now and ask when she is available.” Hyunjin jumped up and disappeared in the distance of their workspace. Jungeun laughed, she hadn’t seen her friend this excited since she adopted her last cat.

 

Jungeun set her desk up and continued to work on her research for the project. She was consumed in her work when a knock sounded on the door. Jungeun looked up expecting it to be her friend Hyunjin again, but was met with the eyes of her boss Vivi . Vivi was the head of the foreign news section of the Seoul Daily. She and Jungeun had been working closely on the underground scheme case.

 

“Vivi, what can I help you with?” Jungeun asked looking up from her work. Vivi walked over to her desk and sat down on the corner making eye contact with her junior employee.

 

“Jungeun, I am very happy with appointing you to this position. I know you have already gotten comfortable over the last weeks. Due to how busy we have been with our current case we have had no time to properly celebrate. Which is why I want to treat you to dinner, and I know a lovely new place. You can invite some colleagues too of course, like Hyunjin, if you wish.” Vivi spoke.

 

Jungeun was taken aback by the sudden invitation of Vivi. She was so happy with the promotion she did not expect there to be a reward for it. 

 

“Really? I don’t know if I deserve that!”

“Of course you do! You are the hardest working employee in this place.” Vivi said warmly. 

 

Vivi placed her hand on Jungeun’s shoulder and spoke to her chief editor. 

“Jungeun, I have always admired your work ethic, but for one night I want you to forget about your job and treat yourself. I will see you on Friday next week at 8 PM,” Vivi disclosed and before Jungeun could say anything she had already left her office. 

 

Jungeun chuckled to herself and turned back to her work.

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

[ Tuesday night, the following week] 

 

Jungeun had felt out of ease the entire week. Hyunjin had set her up for a blind date with her friend Jinsoul last week and now the time had come. Hyunjin had given her Jinsoul’s phone number and they had been in contact over text messages. Jinsoul had picked out the restaurant for their blind date. Jungeun had agreed to have dinner to get to know each other better.

 

Jungeun opened the door of the taxi parked in front of the restaurant of Jinsoul’s recommendation. She paid the taxi driver and stepped out of the vehicle onto the sidewalk leading her to the entrance. Jungeun nervously fidgeted with her jacket getting closer to the door. 

 

Hyunjin had tried to insist on Jungeun wearing a dress for her date, but Jungeun had refused. She would not risk ruining her image as the dyke next door, for someone she had never even met.

 

Instead she has picked out a silk white blouse with a red infinity shaped pattern on the front. She was wearing black trousers combined with her favorite pair of leather dress shoes. Her hair was pulled back in a high loose ponytail. Hyunjin did get her as far as to add accessories to complete her overall look. A pair of black circle shaped earrings decorated her ears, along with a black velvet clutch to compliment them. Her overall outfit was casual, but she still looked dressed up enough for the occasion. 

 

Jungeun opened the door hesitantly, leading her inside. She looked around, the place was a modern style French restaurant. It was classical, with white pillars holding up the ceiling. The ceiling itself had white clouds painted on them making the room seem even more spacious. The dining area had tables with white table cloths, each table had a golden candle holder on it. The chairs were dark wood, with a velvet cushion coating. Jungeun was intrigued by how fancy the inside looked. 

 

As Jungeun further took in the visualization of the dining room her gaze met with a kind looking hazel brown pair of eyes. They belonged to a young woman with jet black hair paired with straight bangs that perfectly framed her round shaped face. That must be Jinsoul.  

 

Jungeun approached the woman up all her nerves and facing forward confidently. 

“Hi, I am Jungeun, you must be Jinsoul.” Jungeun said as she had reached the table. She extended her hand for Jinsoul to shake.

 

“Yes that’s me! Nice to meet you Jungeun,” Jinsoul said excitedly as she took Jungeun’s hand in hers. Jinsoul slowly got up from the chair she was seated in and raised Jungeun’s hand up to planting a kiss on it. Jungeun stood frozen as the scene happened in front of her. She had never had a girl kiss her hand like this before. Jinsoul let go of her hand and made a small bow, like she was a prince greeting a princess in a classical Disney-film. 

 

“Plea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter