Chapter 4: Chaotic

Before You Looked At Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ Friday afternoon ]

 

It was the late afternoon and Jungeun was in the middle of writing a piece for her research project. Jungeun was a very focused worker, who did not like to be distracted when she was writing.

 

“Jungeun?” She suddenly heard from beside her, making her jump from her chair as she had not heard anyone enter. It was her boss, Vivi, standing over her desk.

 

“Wow, Vivi you scared me, I didn’t hear you come in!” Jungeun caught her breath, then she quickly got over herself and reset her mind to a professional mode. 

“What can I do for you boss?” Jungeun asked, smiling awkwardly. 

 

Vivi laughed. “What you can do is shut down your computer and go home, it is Friday night! Go get yourself ready for your dinner party, work can wait until Monday,” Vivi told her employee. Jungeun could tell from her look she was not gonna let this slide.

 

Jungeun sighed. “Alright, I will be out of here in 5, that is the best I can do”

 

“Fine, but let me not catch you here 10 minutes from now. That's an order Kim Jungeun.” As Vivi’s eyes sparked electricity, Jungeun was reminded of the fact that she was a bit scared of her boss sometimes. She watched as Vivi left the room. 

 

Jungeun quickly typed out a rough sketch she had in mind before logging off. She packed up all her stuff and left her office waving goodbye to Hyunjin, telling her she will see her later tonight.

 

The drive home was very quiet since it was just before peak hour. This gave Jungeun enough time to shower and get herself ready for tonight.

 

It was 7:00 PM and to avoid being stuck in hectic traffic, Jungeun decided to leave early. She called for an Uber, because she wanted to avoid having to fetch her car the next day after drinking too much alcohol. 

 

After 10 minutes of waiting, her Uber pulled over driving her off to Jinsoul’s salon. Jungeun realized she was feeling quite nervous about tonight. Her hands were trembling. As she folded them together to make it stop, she felt her palms were sweaty. Jungeun wanted tonight to work out well. Seeing Jinsoul again, introducing Jinsoul to all her colleagues and of course her promotion party. An anxious feeling overcame Jungeun, it was all too much to comprehend. She did not enjoy being in the spotlight, it was best not to think about it.

 

Traffic was busy, but after 15 minutes Jungeun reached Jinsoul’s salon. She thanked the driver and got out of the vehicle. Jungeun could feel the blood flowing through her body. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down and finally made her way towards the entrance.

 

Jungeun tried to push the door open but there was no movement, was the shop closed? She placed both her hands on the window to have a better vision staring inside and did indeed not see any customers. Jungeun sighed, Jinsoul didn’t tell her the salon would be closed, was she still here? She rang the doorbell hoping someone would open.

 

There was no answer. Jungeun anxiously walked in circles. Was she at the wrong address? Did she not communicate the time with Jinsoul properly? Did Jinsoul already leave?

 

Jungeun pulled her phone out of her purse and dialed the number of her date. As she heard the phone ring in her ear a voice behind her called out her name: “Jungeun!” She suddenly heard from beside her, looking up from her phone.

 

It was Jinsoul, waving at the other woman from the now open salon entrance. She was dressed up in a red silk dress, with loose straps hanging off her shoulders so they weren’t completely bare. The long fabric showed off Jinsoul’s tall legs, on which she wore black shiny pumps. Her hair was not quite finished yet, as she still had a curler rolled in her bangs and half of her brunette locks weren’t styled. Jinsoul wore red lipstick to complete her look.

 

Jungeun was speechless, Jinsoul looked so beautiful. All this for a date at a work function? All this effort for a date with her? Jungeun herself was wearing a suit she had bought new. The blazer and trousers were a cream color. The suit had unique feminine elements that elevated her look. She wore it combined with a blouse which was low cut and slightly see-through and wore white dress shoes on her feet. Jungeun had her hair pulled back in a ponytail to finish her look off.

 

The two women stood there for a moment looking each other up and down. Jinsoul was the one to break the silence.

 

“I thought I heard you. I’m so sorry, I was doing my hair. Anyway, how are you?” she said, smiling brightly happy to see her date.

 

Jungeun quickly hung up her phone call. 

“I’m okay. It’s no problem, I just didn’t know the shop was closed so I thought I was at the wrong place,” Looking down afraid to make eye contact with Jinsoul.

 

“Aw you poor thing sorry about that, come in I will finish up quickly so we can leave.” Jinsoul opened the door further and let Jungeun inside her salon.

 

“You look stunning by the way,” Jungeun said entering Jinsoul’s salon.

 

“Thank you, you look pretty neat yourself, I love this color on you,” Jinsoul said, returning the compliment making Jungeun blush and looking down at the ground even more.

 

The downstairs floor looked like an empty dog and cat playground. There were toys everywhere and the plants all over the store gave a jungle like accent to the overall interior. The walls were full of cats and dogs posters and the high chairs had tiny seats for the pets. Jungeun found it all an amusing sight. She followed Jinsoul to the second floor, up a spiral staircase in the middle of the store which was decorated with plastic snakes.

 

The second floor looked much more professional. Big mirrors, hair dryers, chairs and couches like you’d expect in every hair salon. There was no one else in the store besides the two women.

 

“Your salon is lovely, it looks so neat,” Jungeun said, taking it all in.

 

“Thank you, I try to keep everything in check. I am really proud of it,” Jinsoul chimed.

 

One salon table was occupied by Jinsoul’s makeup and hair products. Jinsoul picked up a hair brush and continued where she left off. Jungeun watched in silence as she applied different hair products to her hair and blow dried it into shape. 

 

After about 5 minutes she was ready and set to go. Quickly cleaning all her stuff up she went to the back of the shop and got her coat and purse.

 

“Shall we?” Jinsoul asked Jungeun, returning with her belongings.

 

Jungeun nodded in reply. “Let’s get this party started!”

 

In the Uber to the restaurant the two women sat next to each other in the backseat. Jungeun was fidgeting again, feeling the nerves in her stomach grow the closer they got.

 

“Are you nervous?” Jinsoul asked in a sweet tone.

 

Jungeun looked up shyly. “Yes a little bit, I don’t like to be the center of attention, but at least I have a hot date to distract them,” Jungeun said, making Jinsoul laugh easing her nerves.

 

“Trust me Jungeun, you look pretty fine yourself in this suit with your bra showing through your shirt’s fabric. There will be enough eyes on you, well at least mine will be. Besides, we look pretty hot together don’t you think?” 

 

Jinsoul winked as she finished her sentence. Jungeun felt the heat creep up her collar at the motion of the other woman, but just as quick, her nerves left. Jinsoul was right. They looked smoking together, there was no need to be nervous. With her date being this gorgeous nothing could go wrong.

 

The Uber arrived at their destination. Jinsoul reached for the door, but Jungeun stopped her. “Tonight, allow me,” She told Jinsoul in a low voice. She exited the car and opened the door for her date on the other side extending her hand. Jinsoul smiled at the gesture and happily took Jungeun’s hand.

 

Arms linked, they walked into the restaurant. The place looked magnificent from the outside, a tall dark building with golden lights guiding to the entrance. They were surrounded by big potted olive trees clearing the path made out of shiny white tiles. The door was being held open by a security guard, this place was fancy for sure. At the entrance they were greeted by a server who asked for their reservation. 

 

“Seoul’s Daily Paper, it is a work dinner, a table for 10 I think,” Jungeun said to the waiter asking for their reservations, who nodded in reply. 

 

“A moment please,” he told the two women as he walked off into the restaurant. Not much later he returned with Vivi who greeted them happily.

 

“Jungeun, so happy you’re here, you look lovely,” Vivi went in for a hug, which was unusual for her doing, but Jungeun was glad to see her boss separate from the work floor as well.

 

“And this is your date? Hi, I am Wong Vivi. Jungeun’s boss, but just call me Vivi.” Vivi extended her hand.

 

“I am Jung Jinsoul. Jungeun’s date, but just call me Jinsoul,” Jinsoul replied, shaking Vivi’s hand.

 

“She’s got jokes, I like her.” Vivi laughed. 

 

Jungeun had never seen her boss this relaxed. She was joking with Jinsoul and did not have her normally serious work vibe. Jungeun also noticed she changed her usual dark toned work suits into a rose colored one for tonight. She even wore jewellery, Jungeun was flattered that her boss dressed up for her promotion dinner.

 

“Let me take your coats and bags,” The waiter suggested as he took Jinsoul and Jungeun’s belongings.

 

“Come on girls, everyone is waiting for you, let’s go,” Vivi said, leading the way, as Jungeun and Jinsoul followed her into the back of the restaurant.

 

The place was much bigger on the inside than you would initially think. It was very fancy, decorated with gold chandeliers, velvet carpeted floors, a real cocktail bar, modern art pieces on the wall and classical music playing in the background. Rolled out on the floor was a red carpet leading to where they were heading. As they walked further into the hallway the classical music faded out in the background.

 

Jungeun did not like this funny feeling inside, with every step her anxiety grew. She grabbed hold of Jinsoul’s hand as they lingered behind Vivi. They turned a corner and suddenly there was no lighting to accommodate their view.

 

“Vivi? Hello? What’s going on? Why is it dark?” Jungeun asked, gripping onto Jinsoul’s hand even tighter.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter