Hard and Soft

Push and Pull
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HAPPY TZUYU DAY <3 THE VLIVE IS SO SOFT WTF?!?!?! They love her so much, I can cry.

and for that, I give you CHAEYU <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 My OG OTP, my Endgame, My Chaeyoung-is-Tzuyus-everything-but-Tzuyu-is-only-a-part-of-Chaeyoungs-something, the one side softness, other side unrequited, the Chingus, (and the list goes on, I could make an essay about them it’s embarrassing). In an alternative ending, maybe Tzuyu moves in with Chaeyoung and leaves B1 & B2 and all that drama in 43B, but here we are.

 

Enjoy <3

Momo calls it Tzuberty, a phase of rebellion, Sana thinks it’s a competition on who gets the worst date, but for Tzuyu, she just wants to figure herself out.

[3]

It must be the agonizing combination smell of the obvious weed and cigarette in the closed tight space… Or the unusual mess in the living room: food left unfinished on the table, bottles discarded on the floor… and… clothes on the couch.

But what makes Momo’s blood boil even more is her always-been-good roommate locking lips with this… hooligan fool, if Momo wants to go overboard with it.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. She was supposed to surprise Tzuyu for their ‘anniversary of living together.’ They were supposed to eat dinner, stargaze on the Roof top, and reminisce about their times together. So this image right in front her… this atrocious scene right in front of her shouldn’t be welcoming her in her home. No. Regret filling Momo, right above anger and shock. If Momo didn’t pretend she’s on a date and told Tzuyu shouldn’t wait up, if she just told the truth then maybe…--

She stomps her feet, marching towards the duo who took some time to separate from each other. She ignores the shocked face of her very confused friend and the annoyed look of the small stranger. She puts herself between them, pulling Tzuyu up from the couch through her biceps, ignoring her current state: her blouse ed halfway, her bra pushed up, and her hair unusually tousled. Then she puts her hand on the stranger and grabs a fistful of her shirt. She can even feel her muscles tightening as she flexes her arm, gripping the stranger’s shirt tighter, like she’s ready to throw this stranger out the window. She shouts, her voice cracking, not used to raising her voice this way, “I don’t know who you are but you should get the hell out of this place.”

The audacity of this stranger to ignore Momo’s sudden outburst as she tilts her head to look over Momo’s (a bit) taller frame to look at the one she was making out a couple of minutes ago. “‘Tis one is the roommate ‘eh?”

Roommate.

Just a roommate?

Momo was never one for hierarchies, but she doesn’t appreciate this stranger belittling Momo’s relationship with Tzuyu… or the smell of the room is adding fuel to Momo’s rage that anything, literally anything that comes out of this stranger’s mouth makes Momo feel like she’s one step away from committing physical assault.

Somebody help her.

Tzuyu seems to get ahold of herself, barely, as she puts both of her hands on Momo’s shoulders, “U-unnie… This… I can explain,” She stutters, her lips, blinking her eyes, not fully aware of what’s happening.

“You better.” Momo hissed, not turning away from the intruder in their home. She blames the stranger fully. This is not Tzuyu. She will never get high, she would have never tried a cigarette, she would never make out with someone like this. No, not her precious Tzuyu. Trying to put an explanation behind it, without actually waiting for one, Momo quickly scans the room. The only thing she can put a blame on is the small midget in front of her. This person right in front of her must have forced Tzuyu or something. Or worse… Momo gasps, did she drug Tzuyu with something stronger than weeds?

Momo was looking around for a sign of something… E maybe, some powder to sniff. Momo is not well versed with this. But what catches her attention is the petite girl in her hand, her lips and looking lopsidedly over Momo. Almost like Momo is invincible. Almost as if they would go back to kissing each other if Momo lets go of her. Actually, she looks like she’s ready to make out with Tzuyu again even if Momo is there.

How high is she?

Suddenly reminded of the scene which welcomed her… of her Tzuyu being taken advantage of this… Momo paused. Her vision started getting blurry, and her hand holding Tzuyu back went to her face. Her shoulders slumped when she realized she’s crying.

There are tears in her eyes, and her heart clenched.

It’s unlike everything she had ever felt before.

With tear-stricken eyes, her hold on Chaeyoung weakens, but her resolve doesn’t.

They both felt the same emotions, being faced with the same dilemma. But Momo didn’t run away confused like Tzuyu. Instead, she turns to her, and said, “I’m disappointed in you.”

[1]

Contrary to what Momo has been saying, Tzuyu did not meet Chaeyoung at some back alley smoking cigarette and dealing drugs with the delinquents at the Uni. When Tzuyu looks back at it and she’s feeling superstitious, she might actually call it destiny.

They met on her PE class, Track and Field, all wet from sweat and an unexpected rain that came right after. But the first impression is not what swept Tzuyu off her feet, but the chase of it all.

Tzuyu was struggling, confused and lonely and Chaeyoung was just there, like an answer to her prayer. Third year in college starts, and it felt like Freshman year for Tzuyu, only worse. Most of her friends had either shifted to another Major (College could be cruel sometimes), or graduated and she’s torn between starting over and making new friends (which she thinks she’s not very good at) or pretend that her classmates are just random passerby’s in her life like people she meets on a train.

As much as Momo promised rainbows and sunshine in 43B, the (sorta) long-distance travel is taking a toll on her. On The first few weeks: she tried to have dinner with Tzuyu at home, and have some catching up like they always do. But Momo realized it’s much better to just eat outside before going home because dealing with stress and tiredness on an empty stomach in commute is not very ideal on Momo’s mental health. Some days that Heechul drives her home, they’d be all cooped up in Momo’s room for Momo to spend some time with Tzuyu.

Jeongyeon has went back to her hometown after her trip, helping out with her father’s restaurant.

Sana having too much of her time on her hands is juggling between working on her Thesis, looking for a part-time, and serial-dating through her last semester in college (hopefully). She’s like an extrovert on steroids, the last time she invited Tzuyu to hangout, they went to a strip club for research. Tzuyu ignored Sana a week after that.

Sana’s jaw drops, “Tzuyu, this is the only time I’ll ask you to slap me.”

“No thanks.”

Sana’s tugs her hand, her head unmoving, “Stop being a buzzkill and let me have my moment.”

A beat, and then Tzuyu shrugs. “You asked for it,” Tzuyu mumbles.

Then she slaps her and she slaps her hard.

Sana gasps putting her hand on her slapped left cheek, “You didn’t have to go that hard?”

Tzuyu just smirks.

“I can’t believe that happened in real life. Like… a closeted hetero, I mean… that’s something that only happens in some comedy, right?”

Tzuyu can only snicker, Momo doesn’t hold her laughter, even pointing her finger teasingly. To summarize Sana’s Friday it goes like this: She went to meet her date she met on a dating app. Everything was fine until her guys bestfriend crashed their date and there were laughing, touching and gleaming, and it takes an idiot to not notice they’re in love with each other. Seul was her name, and Sana would remember her as the girl who thought she was a lesbian but not really.

“And I didn’t turn her? Like what does he have that I don’t?”

“A maybe.” Momo adds.

“Who needs a stick when I can—”

Sana’s whining was interrupted by Momo’s phone ringing. Her phone was faced up, and the three saw who was calling. Momo looks at it, her lips then clicked the side button to silence it. Sana raised her eyebrow at it.

“I know it’s our night, but you can answer it. It’s the third time he called.”

But Momo shakes her head, looking at her phone distractedly, then looking back to Sana. “No. He can wait.”

Sana gasps, putting her hand over her lips dramatically, “Oh? Momo putting us above her boyfriend for a change?”

It’s a joke, and that’s Sana being Sana. But from Sana’s side, Tzuyu would nudge her elbow secretly, shaking her head, and Momo would avoid looking at her eyes.

Then it rings again.

Sighing, Momo excused herself, grabbing her phone, heading towards her room.

When Momo locks the door, Sana turns to Tzuyu almost fishing for gossip, “Trouble in paradise?”

Tzuyu shrugs, looking worriedly at the direction of Momo’s room. “She’s just going through something. She’s stressed a lot.”

“Why do you look like you’re blaming yourself?”

Tzuyu shrugs, creasing her eyebrows as she turns to Sana, “Maybe her living an hour away from her work is a factor to her stress. He asked her to move in with him.”

“I know. She declined. As she should.” Sana said, nodding to herself, crossing her arms, “They’re not even a year together. Why should they move in?”

“He can drive her and—”

“Okay stop. Stop.” Sana said, putting her pointing finger where Tzuyu’s eyebrow is supposed to meet. It silence Tzuyu, confusion taking over. Sana smiles at her as she gently presses her finger downwards hoping to bring down Tzuyu’s eyebrows. “It’s not like you asked her to stay. You were about kicking Momo out and inviting me in, remember?”

“Huh… Pretty sure you didn’t even cross my mind when I was thinking of roommates.”

“Lie if that’s what helps you sleep at night. You like me, you said so yourself.”

“You’re so annoying and it’s why your dates don’t work out.”

“…”

“…”

“Who hurt you?”

So really, when Chaeyoung came into Tzuyu’s life, the innocent girl only saw it as a heaven-sent.

Unlike any other subjects, PE is like a wheel of chance. You enroll 3 units in the Department, and they roll the dice or something and puts you in a class somewhere. After Ball Games, Tzuyu thinks she hits the jackpot on this one. It didn’t look easier than Gymnastics, but running and not thinking of something else is actually enticing for Tzuyu. It’s like jogging, only faster, right?

No.

As Jihyo once said, everything is a competition, and Tzuyu must thrive. Or something along those lines. They were having a game night, SaMo vs JiTzu, and Jihyo was not about to lose in Act it Out when Momo’s just using the same circle gesture with her hands at every turn and Sana was getting everything right.

Apparently, Son Chaeyoung used to be in track in high school and a really good one at that. The wind carrying her small frame, while it seems that her rival was being carried swiftly by… errr… her legs?

After the final whistle was blown and the cheers were heard, they both caught their breath, “You’re blessed with some genes ‘cause you have long legs. Just proves I’m faster than you.” The girl named Son as her label says on her back muttered, glaring at Tzuyu.

Tzuyu, hands on her knees, looking up,  absentmindedly said, “The timer says I am faster than you. Go talk to the grass or something.”

Son laughed, even snorted a little. Nevertheless, she handed Tzuyu her spare bottle of water, “Or we could talk about it over lunch. You good with some meat and beer?” Like a complete 180, she drops her glare at smiled amused at Tzuyu.

Tzuyu looked at the bottle curiously but took it anyway. Her tumbler is empty and there’s a long line over the water jar. Her mind went back to the invitation and questioned it, “Beer… for lunch?”

There’s a mirth in her eyes as she hangs onto the towel around her neck, “Ahh. Then I should take you out for a drink as well later then.” She looked up in the sky and pretended to think, “Hmmm… my last class is ‘till 5pm today. Sweet.” Then she looked back to Tzuyu, waiting expectantly.

The absurdness of it all is actually funny to Tzuyu, still her mind would be logical, “It’s… the middle of the week.”

“Should I book your Fridays as well?” And that’s how easy and smoothly can this stranger turn tables around Tzuyu. She took a step towards her, and Tzuyu doesn’t have the urge to step back. “Damn, 25.” A reference to Tzuyu’s class number, written on the paper taped at her back. The petite girl had said as if it has become their inside joke, “Clingy much?”

Then Tzuyu was at loss of words.

Not because she’s lacking of a smart counter – she actually has a lot swimming in her head at that time ranging from pure savageness to run-for-your-money wits, but because she can’t believe that whatever this girl’s game is, it’s actually working on Tzuyu.

Feeling confident and decided, settling on hard-to-get, she stood straighter and held her head high. But before she can open in response, something wet drops on the top of her head. Confused she looked up, only to be met with more droplets. She covered her eyes instinctively. Her guts said she should find some shelter. But before she can take a jog, on her peripheral vision she sees Chaeyoung smiling, looking up, not moving from her place.

“It’s raining.”

“Amazing, right?”

“We… should take a shed or something.”

But then it happened. Slowly but surely, it did.

Chaeyoung turns to her, and smiles. It’s not one of those cliches where things turn to slow-mo, Tzuyu’s senses focusing on Chaeyoung. It’s not even the prettiest smiles Tzuyu had ever seen.

But Chaeyoung looked so carefree and casual, unlike Tzuyu whose head has had thoughts running on her mind 24/7.

“We’re dismissed and we’re gonna shower anyway. Why don’t we have some fun?” Chaeyoung invites, her hands outstretched sidewards, palms up.

Tzuyu doesn’t think.

But that’s the point, right? It’s the first time she’s not thinking of what she should feel and not feel, and what it means.

She doesn’t move and Chaeyoung took that as an affirmation. She laughs heartily, moving closer to Tzuyu. Soon, it started raining harder. “I like pop songs. There’s this one that’s been stuck in my head. It goes like this.” Chaeyoung started humming the song, dancing a little in circles, and swirling her hands.

Tzuyu would raise her eyebrows, covering herself even though she knows it’s fruitless when her shirt will be drenched soon. From across the field, the soccer team doesn’t stop their practice, they actually moved faster, enjoying the rain – just as much as Chaeyoung apparently. “Do you really like the song? You don’t know the lyrics.”

Chaeyoung puffs her cheeks, “Hey!” But she doesn’t take offense. She continues to hum and dance, this time around Tzuyu.

It’s silly. But it won Tzuyu nonetheless.

[2]

Chaeyoung gave her a CD player and a mixtape. At the age of lossless digital audio, she thought they were way past Physical CD’s. But there she was walking along the school grounds, with Chaeyoung’s earphones, still wired, plugged into her CD player in her bag.

“I’ll make you a mixtape.”

“A Mixtape?”

“Yeah, like a playlist, but on CD! It’s like telling a story but with songs.”

Just like the first meeting, Tzuyu thinks they’re in the same library, just reading a different book. They learned they don’t have similar tastes in music, but Chaeyoung doesn’t see this “My laptop doesn’t even have a CD drive anymore.”

“Mine too. But it’s fine. I have my CD player.” Chaeyoung was just bursting with energy and positivity, it’s just hard not be affected. “I’ll lend it to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter