Chapter 2

Temptation Waits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You couldn’t sleep.  You couldn’t sleep, and for once, it wasn’t because of your obnoxious neighbour.  Was he okay?  Was he cold?  Was he still hungry?  Thoughts of that man--Minseok--plagued your mind, kept you awake throughout the night, rendered sleep--when it found you--fitful.  It wasn’t until dawn that an idea flitted through your mind that finally gave you peace, caused you to relax.  Smiling softly, you drifted off as the sun rose. 

Never needing much sleep, you awoke even earlier than usual, too excited to lie in bed another moment.  Pulling an old duffel bag, you tossed it onto your bed before grabbing your laptop and searching for the most useful things to give a homeless person.  Socks, gift cards, backpacks, hats, a water bottle, garbage bags, baby wipes, gloves, scarves, hygiene kits, shoes, and snacks.  Well, you were out of luck with some of the things, but most everything else would be easy enough to swing.  You still had your backpack from uni--it wasn’t brand new, but it didn’t have any holes, so you stuffed that into the bottom.  Giftcards, gloves, a dental kit from your last cleaning, and scarves were piled on after--as they were most people’s go-to gift, and you never really used them, they just sat in various places in your home, gathering dust.  Making a pile of unused beanies, you went over them, one by one, cutting slits approximately where his ears would be, before whipstitching the cut ends, and taking fabric glue and gluing small squares of velcro strategically around the slits, so that he could wear them with his ears out or in.  It couldn’t be comfortable for him to have his ears covered like that, but simultaneously, you realized that, unfortunately, he may be put into situations where he would need to pass.   After tucking those into the duffel, you slipped in several garbage bags, as well as your own personal water bottle.  Looking at the time, you saw that you were still ahead of the game, and decided to drop by one of the sidewalk ajumma’s tents to pick up some packages of large-sized socks on your way to work.  

Almost tripping as you stepped out of the door, you picked up your daily gift--a mid-sized box, with a bit of heft.  Desire to go give Minseok the care package that you had created for him warred with curiosity, but unfortunately--you were not proud--curiousity won.  Swiftly opening the box, your jaw dropped when you saw a vintage sky blue silk quilt embroidered with peacocks.  It was heavy, and soft, and beautiful, and it smelled like...well, you couldn’t quite place the scent, but it was warm and comforting and safe, and you wanted to be wrapped up in it all the time.

It only took a moment of deliberation before you were ripping the boring comforter off of your queen-sized bed, and carefully spreading the quilt over it, delighted at the perfect fit.  Eyes falling on the clock, you grimaced--you wouldn’t have time to wash it, but you hoped that what Minseok gained in warmth, he would ignore in the fact that the comforter that you were hastily folding and stuffing into the duffel bag smelled less like fabric softener and more like you.  

Despite being sidetracked, you still arrived at work early, and so took the extra time to pick up some baby wipes, and jerky, figuring that he could eat the jerky whenever, but could also use the gift cards to buy the kind of food that he preferred. Feeling silly, you headed to your section, and then slowly, carefully opened the door to peek outside.  

He wasn’t there.

Disappointment crashed over you, and then immediate guilt.  Why should he stay?  You hoped that he was somewhere warm and safe, and the cold concrete of the side of a Costco wasn’t it. A rustling and a bang caught your attention, and then you saw his head pop around the other side of one of the dumpsters.  The feeling of relief left you weak, though this time you pushed down the corresponding guilt.  “Hey…  I, um...I brought some things for you…”

He regarded you carefully, before gracefully standing, and sauntering over to you as if he had been in the comfort of his own home.  “You brought me something?”

“Yes.  It’s not much.  I...I thought that it might be helpful.”  Before he could come too close and fluster you even further, you shoved the bag at arm’s length.  

He looked at it thoughtfully, before looking back at you, tilting his head.  After a few seconds, light danced in his eyes, and he slowly reached out to take the bag.  “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.  I’m sorry that I can’t do more.  Unfortunately, Costco does not keep me in the life to which I wish I could become accustomed.”

“You’ve already done more than anyone else…”

“Yes, well...open it. Tell me how I can do better.”

MInseok looked amused, but crouched all the same, ping the bag, and looking through the contents.  “These are all perfect!  How did you know?”

“I looked it up on Naver last night.”

His disturbingly perceptive eyes were on your face again, made even more unsettling by the way that he was crouched in front of you, like a suitor plying his troth.  “You did research for me?”

“Well...what’s the point of doing something for someone that might not be helpful?”

“You’re very thoughtful,” he said softly.

“I can’t say that, I’m just...keenly aware of my own limitations.”  The water bottle started to fall out of the bag, but with preternaturally quick reflexes, he caught it.  “Oh, I forgot to tell you, yesterday--I’m so sorry--we have a spigot over there--” you pointed to the side of the building, “where you can get fresh water.  I’m sorry, the water bottle’s not new--it was mine, but I washed it well.  Actually, you know what, I’m an idiot, why didn’t I think of this--” you held out your hand, “give it back to me, I’ll go in and buy you a new one.”

He took an oddly defensive step back, holding the water bottle tightly.  “This was your water bottle?”

“Yes, I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking, but I’ll get you another one--an unused one--I mean, I did wash it, but--”

“This is fine.”

That brought you up short.  You paused.  Thought for a moment.  “You’re worthy of new things, Kim Minseoksshi.”

His cheeks flushed, and he looked away.  “I don’t mind.”

You gave him a doubtful look.

He chuckled slightly, the sound almost disbelieving.  “I like…”  he drifted off, mouth working silently.  “Please…  I like this one…” 

“Oh.  Well…  If you insist…”

May I...” he asked, indicating the bag.

“Please.  It’s yours.  It’s all yours.” 

Ducking his head, he reached back inside the duffel and pulled out your blanket.  Dropping the bag, he took the blanket with both hands, staring down at it, with an oddly blank expression, his mouth partially open, and his eyelids falling to half-mast.

 “Okay.  Well, this is going to be extra awkward, considering, but, I know--I didn’t have a chance to wash it.  I...it’s not dirty--I mean, I always take a shower before bed--but I wasn’t really thinking when I put it in there--I mean, I was thinking, but I was more thinking along the lines of keeping you warm, less about the fact that it’s weird to give you an unwashed blanket, and I know how this looks, but please don’t misunderstand, I’m not trying to be disrespectful--I don’t think less of you as a person, I just...sometimes I don’t think I guess, about the ramifications of my actions?  And you don’t have to use it if you don’t need it--if it’s weird--I don’t want you to feel pressured or--”

“It’s okay!” he interrupted, cheeks now fully flaming as he clutched the blanket to his chest, his face almost haloed by its fluff.  “It’s alright, I don’t--I’m not…  I’m a hybrid.”

Your stomach flipped, and you could no longer swallow the rising flavour of anger at the back of your throat.  “Just because you’re a hybrid doesn’t mean that you don’t--  You deserve new things Minseok.”

“That’s not...what I meant…  I mean…” he heaved a trembling sigh, his pupils expanding until only a thin ring of green surrounded them as he held onto your blanket so hard his knuckles turned white.  “I’m a hybrid… I like…  It’s comforting.  You’re kind.  It’s comforting...to have something...that smells like you.”

“Oh.”  You could feel your face heating all the way to your scalp.  “Well, I have to...I’m going to be--”

“Late, I know.  Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.  Um, would you mind more cake and lunch meat today?  I know that it’s not the best, but--”

“It’s fine.  I appreciate it.  Really.”  Slowly, carefully, he lifted his hand, gently the side of your head, his expression so earnest that you couldn’t help but believe him.  

Something fluttered in your chest, and you inhaled deeply to push it--whatever it was--back down.  “Right.  Okay.  Well, I should--”

“Go.  You said.”  His hand was warm.

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter