6

Aces

 

 

“So, you two are making a romantic getaway right after your sister’s wedding?”

 

“Chae, when was the last time you saw us actually taking some time for ourselves?” Sana intervened.

 

“Fair. But why are you leaving them with me?”

 

“Would YOU trust Bae Joohyun with your children?” Nayeon asks, scandalized.

 

“That’s also a great point.”

 

“Thanks for taking them, really.” The japanese says and hugs their friend, Nayeon joins.

 

“Yeah, yeah. But what about the wedding?”

 

“What about it?” The older woman asks honestly.

 

“Can I just leave them here alone?”

 

“Yeah, just make sure their bowls are filled and that you put the mat down for them to do their business. We don’t expect you to tend to them the entire time.” Sana explains.

 

“You also have your own life to live, it’s alright and you don’t really have to change anything for them. Just walk around the block with Zaki so he can go poop and do what Sana already explained and it’s all good.” Nayeon contributes.

 

“So he doesn’t go on the mat?” Chaeyoung needs more information.

 

“He does if he sees you won’t take him out, but it kind of makes the whole house stink a lot so I prefer to just take him out.” The korean shrugs.

 

“Alright, I think we’ll be good for a few days.”

 

“Thanks again, Chae.”

 

The couple hugs their friend again, then they bend down to bid the kids goodbye before guiding them inside the house. They bid goodbye and leave with the final reminder that the pets don’t really go outside on their own, Zaki will only allow himself to step outside if he is wearing his leash, which was promptly demonstrated and generated a really amused laugh. The wedding would be this evening and it was eight in the morning, Sana and Nayeon were already heading to the venue because, the korean had to be there when her team came to set the bar so she could shield them from her parents (Jihyo and Chaeyoung would be there for that too), and they had an appointment at the hotel’s beauty salon to get ready for the ceremony.

 

It was Sana’s idea for them to get a room at the hotel, the party would go late into the evening and both knew they would be too tired to make the drive back safely, and it would also provide them with a place to change peacefully for the ceremony. They checked in, made their way to their room and decided to just lay down for a little longer, Vivi and Sorn would only be arriving around ten, they had plenty of time. About their ‘spontaneous getaway’, the only ones who actually knew they were heading out were Vivi and Chaeyoung, and only the bartender knew where they were headed. Others would know whenever, and they knew they would be in a little bit of trouble with Jihyo, Chaeyoung and Joohyun when they got back, but it was fine.

 

Nayeon had also planned to make a stop in Osaka to tell Sana’s parents about the wedding on their way back. Just two quick days to show them the pictures and then go back to their normal lives. Sana insisted she was the one taking care of their rings as Nayeon was the one taking care of the wedding, and she got them custom made just for them. The artisan thought about welding them herself, but she never really got the hang of delicate details on metal, so she just reached out to an old friend and got them exactly like she wanted them. The dancer, as curious as she was, had been trying to catch a glimpse of the rings ever since, but Sana knew her fiance and asked her friend to deliver them when she took them to the airport.

 

“Vivi just left the club, we should be heading down.” Nayeon says after she checks her phone.

 

“I’ll text Jihyo, you go pee.”

 

“I don’t need to go?”

 

“You always get nervous near your parents and that makes you want to pee, and then you squirm. Just go now.”

 

Sana waves Nayeon away and the woman huffs before stomping to the bathroom. The younger woman laughs and shoots the text, they should get there before Vivi arrives, and from what Sana heard about the woman it wouldn’t be long. May Sorn be safe. And just like Nayeon said they would, mr and mrs Park are there too, looking the very last bit obnoxious as they always do. The couple twisted their noses a little when they saw their eldest looking way too simple to be there, not like the brides were any different but it was their wedding so both could get away with a few things today. Vivi parked by the kitchen entrance, already in position to get everything out and to the venue’s bar, it looked like Janghyun and Chandong were recruited as well, Nayeon had left the decision making about who would be attending entirely up to her chief bartender.

 

“Good morning.” Vivi greeted, Sorn bowed too but was off to take a look at the bar and see if they could start moving everything in.

 

“Ms Velour!” Jihyo greeted enthusiastically and Chaeyoung bowed with her. “It’s very nice to meet you again.”

 

“I’m happy to be here too, ms Park.” The bartender confirmed. “Well, I’ll go on and start moving everything inside.” Ms Velour dismisses herself, she didn’t want to be around mr and mrs Park more than she had to.

 

“Honey, can you call their boss?” Ms Park asks, out of the blue. “I don’t really like how you look at that woman. I want another bar service altogether.”

 

“It’s too late to find a new one, darling.” Mr Park tells his wife.

 

“Well, at least get that redhead switched. I don’t want you looking at her like that.” The woman demands.

 

“Alright. Jihyo, give me the number.”

 

“What number, father?” The younger Park asks innocently.

 

“To get that woman switched, your mother wants her gone.”

 

“Well, father, it won’t be that simple, and I’m not willing to change anything.”

 

“Park Jihyo, that’s no way to talk to your father. Give him the number immediately.”

 

“Mother, I’m not disrupting my wedding because of you.” Jihyo says calmly, but the anger was clear in her voice. “Now is not the time to change anything at all and I want the exact team that just arrived, no changes.”

 

Mrs Park was ready to slap her youngest across the face for this, but Nayeon stepped up and put her little sister behind her. Through the years, this was always how Nayeon acted, she wouldn’t think twice about stopping their parents when they came at Jihyo with violence, after the fight when Nayeon was disowned because she had chosen psychology, the eldest had shown their parents who they were dealing with, she thoroughly gave back three times what she got from their parents, even mr Park wasn’t strong enough to stop her back then. After that, Nayeon juggled two jobs to pay for college and house expenses, she danced in the evenings and started driving a cab during the day to make ends meet.

 

“I thought you both understood not to touch Jihyo?” Nayeon says with so much hatred that Sana and Chaeyoung are honestly frightened. “The last time I showed you both what you get back if you have the courage to do something. Rest assured, my height isn’t the only thing that’s grown since then.”

 

The older couple visibly gulps, but both stand their ground, they had already cut ties with this girl, who was she to talk to them like this. Nayeon’s face was hardened and everyone around understood she was capable of murdering her parents where they stood if she felt like it, Jihyo decided she wanted to give the finishing blow and handed their father the card for the club. The man immediately took it and dialed the number with a smug expression towards his eldest.

 

“Yes, I’d like to talk to the one in charge there.” Mr Park says to whomever answered.

 

Nayeon knew it to be Seungwan who was in charge today. She was just waiting for her own phone to ring soon.

 

“No, I want someone above you.”

 

 

“I want to switch one of the bartenders in my daughter's wedding.”

 

 

“Park Jihyo and Son Chaeyoung.”

 

 

“Yes, the redhead.”

 

 

“My wife demands it.”

 

....

 

“Park Changjoon, the father of one of the brides.”

 

 

“What do you mean it can’t be done? I demand to speak to the one in charge!”

 

 

“Then I want to speak to your boss. You obviously don’t know who you are talking to, your boss should be sensible enough not to make the same mistake you are.”

 

 

“Then transfer the call right now.”

 

Everyone else was just watching, Vivi and Sorn, and the boys, heard perfectly what everything was about and agreed with Nayeon about how dumb having money made the Parks. Chaeyoung was hugging Jihyo and had put some distance between them and mr and mrs Park, standing slightly behind Nayeon and Sana. The japanese had been pushed behind her fiance but remained holding the older’s hand, she had never seen so much hatred emanating from her soft squishy bunny, but the way Nayeon changed instantly when she felt Jihyo was being threatened told her this matter ran deep. They could talk later, right now Nayeon’s phone rang.

 

“Hello.” The older Park answered. “Patch it through, Wannie. And remind me to give you a week off from tomorrow on.”

 

Sana could hear a giggle on the other side, she also looked over to the bar crew and saw the mirth in their eyes, that made her relax, knowing this was what everyone was waiting to happen. They all knew of what kind of relationship the woman had with her parents and, even though Sana had never heard the whole story, as she met Nayeon when she had already turned a new page, she had been able to piece together that the fallout had been scarring and terrible, this had just confirmed her suspicions.

 

“Yes, put me through right away!” Mr Park demanded, he wasn’t listening to anyone else.

 

“Hello?” Nayeon answered.

 

“Yes, I understand you are the boss of the bar crew at my daughter’s wedding?”

 

“Which wedding are we talking about?”

 

“Park Jihyo and Son Chaeyoung.” The man was clearly irritated. “That secretary of yours didn’t tell you?”

 

“She was the general manager, and she just said someone wanted to speak with me.”

 

“Well, I’m Park Changjoon and I demand that you switch that red haired lady immediately.” He said, still not recognising his own daughter’s voice in his rage.

 

“I know you very well, mr Park. The ‘red haired lady’ is ms Velvet Velour for you and she is my chief bartender, she is the best we have in our staff and she is the one who decides anything regarding the bar activities. Also, the contract was signed with your daughter and her fiance, they are the only ones who have any say in this matter. Have a good day mr Park.”

 

Nayeon hangs up, mr Park was livid, his veins looked about to pop and Jihyo was sure she saw a slight shake to the man’s eye and wondered if a was happening, she was more than willing to walk down the aisle alone in that case. Mrs Park saw everything and couldn’t process that her eldest was the one who was running the show now. Jihyo decided to step in and end things before anything else escalated and more of the staff arrived. Nayeon’s kids were the first ones, but right now the others wouldn’t take long and it would be better if her parents weren’t there at all.

 

“Father, why don’t you and mother head back to your rooms. She is quite upset and you both should rest.” Her tone made it clear that this wasn’t a discussion.

 

“I think that’s a good idea, too.”

 

And so they leave. Everything was just so much easier after they left that when mid-afternoon rolled around, everything was ready, the wedding planner had already made her round and checked if nothing was out of place, even changing Nayeon and Sana’s seating to further away from mr and mrs Park, per the japanese’s request, mr and mrs Minatozaki would also have their seats changed and hopefully the evening would be bearable. They were leaving soon as well, regardless.

 

The ceremony was beautiful, Chaeyoung cried and Jihyo had her eyes watery the entire time. The party was lovely, and the Parks couldn’t make a single complaint about Vivi because the other high society people were all about being tended by the Vesuvius crew, some had only dreamed of experiencing that kind of service, and, seemingly, everyone knew it was incredibly difficult to get them booked for anything outside the club, one had to be tight with the owner herself (still a mystery to many) to even be considered for something like that. Mr Park was taking all the credit for the attraction until Chaeyoung’s toast, Jihyo had been very measured in what she said, but her wife wasn’t that merciful.

 

“People who took the time to attend my wedding, my wife did the formalities for me, so I’d like to say thanks.” The small woman started her toast. “Thank you to everyone who made this wedding possible, thank you all for attending. Thank you Jihyo, my lovely wife for sticking to me all this time, for accepting that weird little freshman who came up to you and screamed that you are beautiful before fleeing.” There was a collective chuckle.

 

“Thank you Nayeon, for making sure your little sister became the wonderful woman she is today, thank you for protecting her despite yourself, and thank you for making our wedding unforgettable with your legendary crew. Thank you, Vivi, Sorn, Janghyun and Chandong for sticking with your crazy boss and agreeing to come and make the best drinks anyone here ever had.”

 

There was a collective murmur, mr and mrs Park were very red, obviously disliking the idea of being exposed like that. Both were very prideful about achieving something rare in high society, and now, not only Chaeyoung had told everyone they had been lying, but also that the eldest daughter, whom they had very publicly cut ties with, was the one who owned that exclusiveness.

 

“Thank you to all those who were involved in making my dream of marrying this woman come true, thanks mom and dad. And, most of all, thank you, Jihyo, for showing me what it feels like to hold a star on my arms.”

 

Everyone was very enthusiastic about the toast, despite the revelations, high society knew how to push everything away when the time to keep appearances came. The party went on, as anything with people of money, it was rather boring, most were interested in knowing more about the older Park girl now, Nayeon went up to the brides, discussing with them about ending the bar services earlier, Vivi had reported they were getting way too many disrespectful guests, who claimed to be best friends with Nayeon to try and get some extra on the side from all of them. The couple agreed that it would be better to end it earlier and asked if the older woman needed any help, which was promptly declined.

 

Once Nayeon came back and gave the green light for her kids to pack up, there were a few complaints, a few people approaching the boss and claiming they knew her from who knows how many years before, but the decision had been final, they all packed up and Janghyun had gone to pick up the van and park it by the kitchen exit. It had been agreed that the buffet would be providing the glassware, they would stay longer than the bar regardless and it would make for less confusion at the end. They make a quick exit, stopping to wish a nice trip to Nayeon and Sana, who had been watching over the process. 

 

Once back inside, the couple noticed the brides were about to leave, so they made their way over and wished them a good honeymoon, before leaving themselves. They still had their room, but they would have to wake up too early to make their way home and then reach the airport on time, so Sana suggested they headed back after a quick shower and change out of their dresses. In the end it proved to be the right decision, that extra hour of sleep really came in handy. They leave for the airport and board their flight to London very excited about what was to come.