chapter five

Gamer Gurl (Choi Soobin TXT)

"Ok people let's go!" The photographer yells over to them as he turns and scans the room looking for his assistant. "Christ where is that girl?!" he mutters to himself, unaware his assistant is making calls for him. "Let's go, let's go, quickly!" he shouts clapping his hands together sharply. The members looks at each other, Soobin and Yeonjun raising an eyebrow at each other skeptically and slowly walk toward the set. 

They try to make the best of the session. The photographer seems to be yelling at everyone behind the lights, and Soobin can't make out any of their faces, but he's glad he hasn't started yelling at any of them.  He barks orders, but still seems to be trying to be polite to them anyway. Heuningkai has the most experience working with photographers of the group even though he's the youngest and he whispers into Soobin's ear,

"This guy is definitely angry about something, but luckily it's not anything we're doing," he says mirroring Soobin's thoughts.  They both turn and smile for the camera and do their best to pose the way he's asked, hoping to end this quickly.  

"OK, just you Beomgyu, let's get some solo shots. The rest of you can take a break. JIMIN!" he shouts behind him. She steps up next to him from the shadows. "There you are finally. Make sure they have something to eat and drink, get them an iced coffee or something. Make yourself useful for once." he waves her off with his hand as he steps back toward the set to see Beomgyu stood there looking just a bit frightened of him. She looks over at the others who are watching from the side of the set, and he can tell that she's a little flustered.

Soobin watches as she slowly walks over towards them, and he feels embarrassed for her because the photographer was so dismissive. He steps over to meet her half way, before she is close to the others. He reaches out his hand to touch her arm and stops her.

"I'm sorry he is so rude. You don't have to do anything for us we will be fine," he reassures her. She looks up at him, a little sad, her lips pouting.

"It's my first real job. I guess I keep messing up," she says looking ashamed.

"I think you're doing fine." He tries to smile at her, releasing her arm. She looks up at him and smiles sweetly. She bows her head, mouths a thank you, and looks behind him to the others who are watching them.

"Let's get you a coffee. Maybe a biscuit," she teases and walks past him indicating he should follow along. He smiles after her and motions for the others to walk with her. Yeonjun stays behind and walks next to Soobin, smiling at him. Soobin smiles but tries not to meet his eye.

"So, you like this girl?" He hits his arm playfully.

"I don't know her, but she's very pretty and seems nice." He blushes.

"It's ok, maybe you can forget Gamer Gurl now." They follow the others to the craft service table.

Soobin watches the assistant work the coffee machine for Taehyun showing off her caramel macchiato making skills. He politely waves away the offer of his own drink.  She looks over the table for something else.

"Almond milk?" she offers. He looks up at her surprised, mouth open. 

"How did you know I drink almond milk?" He looks at her suspiciously. The others have already dug into the spread of cookies and are not paying attention to their interaction. She stops pouring a glass for him and looks back confused. He's studying her with his eyes narrowed. This is definitely raising red flags to him. 

"Hello," she says in a dopey voice, teasing, "it's on the 'must have' list from BigHit for your photo shoot..." she rolls her eyes at him and smiles. He laughs embarrassed at himself.

"Sorry that sounded a little suspicious." 

"Yeah, a little." She continues pouring.

"I've been a little distracted today, not quite myself," he offers, taking the glass and nodding a thank you. 

"I can tell, you look a bit tired." She smiles warmly. 

"That's what Mi-sun said, she accused me of playing video games all night." He dunks a cookie into his glass and takes a bite. 

"Yeah, she would say that," she says as she arranges the condiments on the table. "I get that lecture too,"

"Well, I didn't want to tell her she was right." He smiles slyly at her. She stops arranging things and looks up.

"Oh cool what did you play?" she asks, but before he can answer the photographer shouts from the set,

"JIMIN, get the next one!" He shouts, unconcerned with exactly which member is up next. She bristles at his words. Soobin smiles at her. 

"I'll go next, get it over with." He turns and walks back toward the photographer. She smiles at him and watches as he steps onto the set, changing places with Beomgyu who is happy to be finished with the photo shoot.

"Good luck looking calm and happy with this one," Beomgyu whispers into Soobin's ear as they switch places. Soobin straightens his jacket and stands up to his full intimidating height in front of the photographer. 

"Where do you want me?" The photographer looks up at his tall lean figure and shouts behind him to a lighting technician.

"Raise the damn key light!" The technician immediately begins to fiddle with the lamp. "Just take a few steps back, and keep standing tall...Someone bring me a step ladder!" He shouts behind him again.  His Assistant steps up behind him with the stool and he steps up onto it. As she begins to back away he looks down at her. "For goodness sake girl, hold onto me, I'm not going to break my leg for this photo shoot," he grumbles. 

She reluctantly steps behind him, taking hold of his legs awkwardly.  Her face betrays how loathsome she finds this task and she frowns with the expression of someone who has smelled something very unpleasant. Soobin watches her and laughs, enjoying the absurdity. 

"That's a great look, keep smiling just like that!" the photographer yells to him. Soobin locks eyes with her as she makes another face and he laughs again and looks into the lens just as the photographer captures the image.  This awkward exchange continues until the Photographer has decided he has had enough of Soobin and he releases him in favor of the next member, who luckily isn't quite as tall. 

Soobin steps around the photographer as Taehyun takes his place on set. He watches as she helps the photographer off the stool and she backs away. She notices Soobin is standing nearby almost waiting for her.

"If you will excuse me, I'm going to go wash my hands, with bleach." She laughs and disappears around a corner. Yeonjun steps up to Soobin, still munching on a cookie.

"So, what do you think?" he asks. Soobin didn't realize he is still watching the space where the girl left the room. "Are you going to ask Jimin out?" Soobin blushes.

"Maybe." He smiles at Yeonjun who hands him a cookie.