chapter six

Gamer Gurl (Choi Soobin TXT)

Soobin hangs around the craft service table watching the others get their pictures taken. He hasn't seen Jimin come back through the door and he sits and scans his phone, looking up every once in a while. Beomgyu leans over to him.

"Soobin hyung, that user is on weverse, Gamer Gurl." Soobin's eyes get wide and he looks at Beomgyu's phone before turning to the phone in his hand.  He opens weverse and sees the post, 'Soobin oppa, shall we play a game?' He smiles thinking about opening Kill Switch, but at that moment he sees Jimin come through the door carrying a heavy prop. She struggles a little. He sets his phone aside and rushes over the help her. He lifts the other side of what appears to be giant geometric block of color, awkward to carry, and he walks backward toward the set to help her put it  down.

"Thanks, this is for the next set up," she explains.

"Do you have more to carry? I can help," he offers. She nods.

"I have about five more of these to bring in."

"Sure, I'll be right with you to help." He picks up his phone off the chair and types a message in response to Gamer Gurl. 'Can't now, working, definitely later' He puts his phone in his pocket and walks back to the doorway to help Jimin. He motions for Beomgyu and Taehyun to help.  They reluctantly walk back to the doorway to wait to be handed a set piece and they dutifully carry each one to the side of the set where the Photographer is working with Yeonjun. He notices what they are doing and turns toward Jimin who has just walked up with the last piece. She turns back to the others.

"Thank you for your help," she bows her head as she sets the last piece down with the others. The Photographer glares at her.

"Jimin, this is your work to do, not theirs. Their work is to look pretty, to look clean and fresh, and not be bothered by little girls fluttering their eyelashes to get favors done!" he snarls at her. The others are just as shocked as she is at his outburst and stand in embarrassed silence.

"I- I'm sorry I-" she tries to apologize but the words get caught in . Soobin, being the leader, has now decided he's had enough of the photographers attitude.

"Just a minute, she didn't do anything wrong. She was struggling and I asked if she could use some help. You've been very rude to everyone all day and I'm done.  Come on guys, we're done with this photo shoot." He frowns and turns toward Jimin who looks like she might cry.

"Oppa please don't, you have more pictures you need to take," she pleads with him as the photographer stands in angry shock. Soobin takes her hands in his trying to comfort her.

"But he's been a jerk all day," he says softly, just to her. "I don't want to hear him talk to you like that anymore."

"But it will be worse for me if you don't finish the shoot." She looks panicked. He considers what she's said and looks at the others. They are watching him, waiting for his decision, but he knows they will support him regardless.  He looks back at her, still holding her hands. He nods his head, understanding.

"Ok, but he's got to stop talking to you like that," he whispers. He turns back to the photographer who seems to be smirking a little, waiting for Soobin to speak. "We will stay and finish the shoot, but you can't speak to her like that anymore. Anything you need to say to her, you say nicely, and treat her with respect. In fact, you should treat everyone here that way, even if you don't have respect for them, fake it!" He says sternly. He would never speak to a person in his position this way but he knows the guy is totally in the wrong and he knows that the company would back him up if it came to it. 

The photographer drops his smirk, thinking over what he's said, and he nods once in agreement. He turns back toward the set and Yeonjun who is waiting to see what will happen.  

"OK. I will try." He smiles feebly. Soobin nods to Yeonjun who steps back to his previous position on the set. Then he turns back to her, watching her blush. Her smile is so pretty it warms his heart. 

"Thank you for your kindness. I really appreciate it," she says sincerely. "You don't have to be this nice to me." He smiles at her and takes her hand again.

"I like you. I don't want anyone to treat you badly," he says biting his lip, trying to find the courage to say more.

"But you don't even know me,"

"I kind of feel like I do." He laughs to himself at the idea. "I'd like to know more. Would you like to go out, maybe after the shoot, get some dinner?" he asks, blushing at his own awkwardness. Her eyes light up but she shakes her head almost in disbelief. She pauses too long starring back at him. He feels the tension of the awkwardness. "If you want, or,some other time, I mean if you're busy," he rambles on. Deep in his heart, he knows that his friends are watching all of this and he's secretly dying of embarrassment waiting for her to respond. She smiles, and looks around before she back at him a little overwhelmed.

The photographer interrupts them, "Jimin!" he remembers himself before he continues, "please, can you start bringing the set pieces on for the next set up?" She looks over at her boss and smiles.

"I would be happy to, but my name is not Jimin. You've been calling me that all day and I ignored it, but my name is Min-ji. Please call me that," she says and she smiles at Soobin whose eyes pop open wide. He stares at her, mouth agape, unable to say anything.  The others sound an audible collective 'whoa' as she steps past them to the set, carrying one of the decorations.  His bandmates rush to his side as soon as she is out of earshot and hit him playfully.  Taehyun is the first to speak.

"Is it even possible?" Soobin is still standing, mouth open, in shock. "Could that be her? Gamer Gurl?" Soobin can only shake his head a little, unsure how to respond. 

"It can't be the same person, she was here in front of us when I saw the post on weverse." Beomgyu offers. Heuningkai shakes his head.

"No, she came in after that was posted. It's her, it's definitely her," he says and he's so excited at the idea that he can't stop himself from jumping up and down in place. Soobin has yet to react.

"Well, what do you think? Is it her?" Beomgyu asks him. He shakes his head, still marveling at the idea of it.

Yeonjun is staring at her as she places the first set piece near him. He's seen and heard everything from his place on set. He leans over and says quietly, "So, you're Gamer Gurl?"

She looks up at him in shock, and looks back to Soobin who is still standing with the others, but looking right at her. She smiles a little at the sight of him, deep in a private thought. Yeonjun knows now that it's definitely her. 

"It's OK if you are. We thought you might be a few different people, but he always thought you were just one person. I told him you probably worked for BigHit," he says proud of himself for working it out. She looks at him now in a little panic.

"I would totally be fired if they thought I was bothering their artists. My Aunt would be fired too most likely," she says remorsefully.

"Who is your aunt?"

"Min-sun, your make up artist. She got me this job. I guess I've really messed up." She lowers her head. Yeonjun, looks over at Soobin.

"He asked you out?" She nods, her head still hanging. "Do you like him?" a smile breaks across her face even though she isn't meeting his eyes. He shrugs. "Then say 'yes', quickly before he turns beet red." He laughs and pushes her back towards the group standing, watching her. She awkwardly walks up to him and the others scatter quickly.

"Park Min-ji?" he asks. She nods, dropping her head but raising her eyes to look at him. She looks adorable. He can't help but smile. 

"Should I ask how you know that?" He bites his lip and glances at the others for a moment. They are watching them but trying not to be obvious. He shrugs a little.  "We probably have a lot to talk about." She smiles at him. He nods. 

"I think we do." He looks up at her, hopeful. 

"Then, let's do it over dinner." Her smile lights up her face as she meets his eyes. He laughs a little and nods, bowing to her, still flushed with embarrassment. The others cheer loudly from behind them and she looks over at them embarrassed. "But right now, I'm working. Definitely later?" she suggests, arching her eyebrow and smiling coyly.

"Definitely," he repeats, grinning back at her. "You owe me a game."

thank you for reading!

thank you for reading!