Alex Kwon and her Halmoni

The Moment

Narrator P.O.V

The figure of a girl slouched uncomfortably in her seat, ear buds in her ears drowning out sounds of babies crying, nagging kids or gossiping women, it was so much fun to be stuck in economy class. She closed her eyes tiredly, she was only running of 4 cups of caffeine, 2 red bulls and a Gatorade, the flight from West ia to South Korea, would take some time to get used to.

She held her watch for a moment and checked the time, 9:20 p.m. displayed digitally on her watch.  It would be a long flight.  She relaxed in her seat, ‘Insa’ drowning out all her troubles.


A hand gently shook her awake, ‘’Ma’am we’re de-boarding now, ‘’ replied the stewardess. Alex blinked widely, yawning slightly, standing up albeit a little wobbly, she adjusted her carrion before following the flight attendant off the plane.

She walked the long way, as she reached the airport lobby, she approached the baggage claim, she spotted her red and black suitcase before grabbing the handle, of course the wait of her carrion plus the wait of her duffle made it a bit difficult to hold, ‘I ain’t got it,’ she thought frantically, trying to grip the suitcase, just as it was about to fall out of her hand, another shot out and took it out of her hands, setting it on the floor. ‘’Thank you,’ she replied turning to the stranger.  She almost forgot she was supposed to say ‘’Gomawoyo,’’ instead since she was now in Incheon Airport and most people wouldn’t know English, ‘’No problem,’’ he answered. Apparently he did know English.

He wore dark glasses, a fitted V-neck t-shirt, black skinny jeans, black boots, and a scarf and held a jacket in his hands. She could see his porcelain skin and dark brown hair with bangs brushing the surface of his forehead. 

She watched him walk away, a feeling of familiarity, as if she knew him, she just shrugged it off as a mere coincidence, and no way could she have seen him.


Alex rolled her suitcase behind her, passing some of the shops and stores in the Airport, it had been over 2hours since her plane landed and still no sign of her grandmother.

Alexandra Melissa Kwon, born half Korean, half Latin-American was a simple girl of 18 years old, with parents who doted on her every whim, which annoyed her to no end.  Being the only daughter in the house really pissed her off, she was the last of 5 children, her older brothers and she had a huge between them.

Her oldest brother Michael Jae Kwon was 30 years old, he was strong, overly protective of his siblings, married already with two children, living in New York City with his wife, working as a Book Publisher at HarperCollins Publishing Company.

Aaron Philip Kwon was 28 years old; he was funny and sarcastic, protective just like Michael, happily married with three children, living in New York City with his wife, working as a Police Lieutenant at NYPD.

Raphael Anthony Kwon was 26 years old; he was just like a mixture of Michael and Aaron, funny but cool, over-protective but laid back, he was newly married with his wife, working as Fire Fighter at NYFD, so he was close with Michael and Aaron.

Lastly Adrian Anthony Kwon was 24 years old, the last of her brothers, the one closest to home, he had a girlfriend, they had been together since he was sixteen, and he studied Technical Engineering at ia Tech. 

 What could Alex say about her brothers, even her parents   Eric Kwon and Elizabeth Martina Rosa Kwon, were the epitome of people pleasers, she was close to her brothers, but she never had a boyfriend or any sense of relationship because of said brothers, so that was a major disadvantage, she was so ecstatic when her three oldest brothers moved to New York, they were being stationed by their companies.

Her mother worked as a fashion designer by day, home-maker by night, and her father was head of Kwon Enterprises, a company which financed programs for finding lost and missing children including homeless and children in need of health care.


It was at her breaking point when she was suggested by her mother to spend her week vacation with her estranged grandmother from her father’s side for summer.

If your parents want to plan out your life, you would take any mean of escape, hers was her student vacation.

A tap on her shoulder s, alerted her, she spun around, face to face with her grandmother, ‘’Halmoni,’’ she hugged her tightly.

‘’My dear how are you,’’ her grandmother brushed her hand towards Alex’s bangs, her eyes filled with concern.  ‘’You look pale.’’

Alex blinked before answering her grandmother, ‘’I’m fine Halmoni, let’s go,’’ she grabbed her grandmothers hand while pulling her suitcase with the other, moving towards the exit of the Airport.


When they reached the sliding doors, her grandmother pulled her since she didn’t know which vehicle it was. They entered a sleek black BMW, ‘’sweet car, ‘’ she murmured under her breath.

Her thoughts drifted to the English assignment she had for her vacation. Even she was free, school work would always be there, and Alex majored in Journalism at ia University with a minor in dance.

It was her first time in Seoul and it depressed her.

She passed food stands, the shopping district, hotels and lots of restaurants.

She rested her head against the window, drifting off ……………..


Alex P.O.V

I woke up to my grandmother mildly shaking me; I mechanically followed her after taking my luggage out of the car, into her two story house. She wasn’t an ordinary grandparent, she liked snowboarding, ice-skating and horse-back riding, but still the grandparent like things like bake delicious pastries and cookies and always gave me a knitted sweater on Christmas.

‘’Her it is,’’ grandmother spread out her arms gesturing to the room, which was my two favorite colors, red and white. ‘’Comfy,’’ I replied turning to her.

‘’You had a long flight, get some rest,’’ she replied, and then she coughed. ‘’Halmoni, are you okay,’’ I said patting her back. She gently patted my hand before answering, ‘’Just a little cold, I’ll get over it.’’

‘Are you sure?’ I asked skeptically.

‘’Don’t worry about me, get some sleep, the shower is right through there,’ she kissed my forehead then closed the door.

I took off my boots before flopping on the bed, I exhaled tiredly. I was in the place of my dreams, and it depressed me, why you ask? I’ll tell you why in only  four words, DONG. BANG. SHIN. KI.  A rather depressing thought right, one would think I would be ecstatic to be in the home of my idols, but I was not. Who could be, let me ask you, what Cassie could be happy, when her five favorite idols were split up. Yes, I knew it was a temporary split until JYJ, that is to say Junsu, Jaejoong and Yoochun, finally settle would business they have with Avex and SM Entertainment.

My love for DBSK, started in the summer of the year 2004, when I was 11, I had been browsing through my dad’s stuff like always in his den, when I came across his dumping pile, in which he got rid of useless mail of all kind, I saw this package with a note saying, ‘’You should listen to this,’’ being the curious soul that I am, I tore off the tape and emptied the contents on the table.

A CD along with a red sweatshirt came out, I glanced at the red sweatshirt that was bold red with a simple ‘’W’’ in five diamonds, it felt soft so I decided to keep it. I turned my attention to the CD, on the face of the cover  five guys and the bottom labeled ‘’Tri-Angle,’’  I took out the CD and put it into my dad’s boom box that was conveniently next to me.  

Their five harmonized so wonderfully, I fast-forwarded until I heard O Holy Night, it was so soothing, I just sat in my dad’s recliner, listening to my heart’s content.  It was pure bliss.

Over the course of the next 6 years, I was a devoted Cassie and joined the other 800,000 of my international sisters in supporting my idols, Youngwoon (Hero) Jaejoong, Choikang (Max)Changmin, Xiah Junsu, U-know Yunho and Micky Yoochun, we laughed, we cried and we always kept the faith.

My heart crumbled because on the fated day in 2009, when JYJ announced the lawsuit, I prayed for days, my parents wondered what was up with me, my brothers tried to snap me out of my funk for weeks.

I remembered one day I turned to my best friend Jade and said, ‘’When I entered that fandom, I knew I wouldn’t be leaving.’’ She just smiled at me amusedly then said, ‘’Even if you support the red sea, I will still be an E.L.F, but support you anyways.’’

I pulled the comforter before covering my head …..I closed my eyes ….. maybe something would happen tomorrow……….


~Please Comment/Subscribe and Review

~Next part will be up in a jiffy.....

~Caribbeanpop 17