Memories of Summer

ONESHOTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inspired by: https://youtu.be/WmnS_9gHFcY

 

Memories of Summer is an alternate Universe fan fiction where Ahn Yujin and Kim Minjoo met one summer when they were kids only to part ways when vacations are over. Will they meet again? Find out.

 

 

“Yujin-ah, don’t stay at the stationary far too long. I’m going to fetch you with a stick if you don’t go home before dinner.” Her mom said as she waves her forefinger in front of her.  Yujin giggled as she spreads her hand in front of her mom. Her mom then just sighed and handed her a bill that would probably last her till this afternoon at the arcade. “I’m not kidding Yujin. Go home before dinner.” Her mom warned again. “Yes mom, I got it.” With that the kid ran off the doors of their house heading to the near stationary store with her bike. “Yujin, be careful!” Her mom shouted after her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yujin reached the store without a hitch. She started going to this stationary store as long as she can remember. It was now summer vacation, all her pent up frustration of not having to play video games has come to its limit. Her mom doesn’t let her own any type of video gaming devices even play games at the arcades during school days to be not distracted with studies. Not that it matters to Yujin. Yujin was born a prodigy at the age of 7 she has been constantly dominating her schools ranking.

 

“Ohh, looks who’s here. If it isn’t Stinky Yujin, long time no see does your mom knows you’re here?”

 

Yujin pouted at the old man who owns the store and ruffled her short hair. Stinky Yujin became her pet name when she spent all her day at the arcade refusing to go home to eat and shower.  She cut her hair short this summer to avoid the summer heat. “Ahjusshi it’s already summer of course my mom knows I’m here.” She then grinned and showed the man the $5 her got from her mom. “I’d like to exchange all these for tokens.” She said pointing at the arcade video game at the front of the store.

 

The man looked at him with an amused smile and only gave him tokens enough for 3 dollars.

 

“This isn’t right; I said I want tokens for $5.” Yujin complained. To which the old shop owner said, “You’re mom told me to only let you use $3 worth of tokens everyday now.”

 

Yujin grimaced at the tokens on her hand; she was only permitted to play 9 tokens a day? At this rate she won’t even get passed through level 10 of the game. She’d have to make it count then.”Fine, just give some chocolate candies then.” She said handing one dollar to the old man, when she got her candies she began to move towards the video game console begrudgingly, she sat in front of it while setting her coins and her candies on top of the arcade TV and started playing. If worst comes to worst she’ll just have to ask the owner to let her save her game in this arcade or something.

 

 

 

 

 

Minjoo was taking a vacation in South Korea at her grandparent’s house for the summer. She has taken a fancy to taking pictures of the scenery around the neighborhood. It was a far cry from the scenery she was used to.

 

She grew up in New York, a bustling city where high buildings are everywhere. Staying here at her grandparent’s place was relaxing for her. The view was nice, the people are nice and the air feels fresh unlike the polluted air of New York City. It felt like she could actually breathe for the first time here.

 

As she was wandering about while taking pictures, her camera lenses caught an interesting subject. It was a boy her age playing at a console in front of a store her grandma called “stationary store” but to her this kind of store was just considered like one of those 1 dollar store in New York, where all sorts of products are sold.

 

Curiously, as if she was drawn to him she kept taking pictures of his frustrated face. She giggled and walked towards her- but the boy didn’t seem to notice him. So, she decided to go inside the store to look around in the mean time. She loved the interior of the shop. It looked like a paradise to a 7 years old kid like her.

 

“Welcome.” A voice said from the counter. She saw an old man reading a news paper while manning the cash register.

 

“Hi.” Minjoo greeted curtly and walked towards the counter. “How can I play at the arcade in front of the shop?” She asked. She thought that if she was to approach the boy she should at least something in common with him.

 

“It’s a dollar for tree tokens.” The man looked down at her from the counter and eyes her curiously, “I haven’t seen you around here little miss.” He said as he closed his newspaper setting it aside.

 

“Oh, I don’t live here. I’m staying at my grandparent’s house.”  She said as she rummages at her bag fishing out a dollar and handing it the old man. “I live at the manor at the hill.”

 

“Oh I see, you’re the village chief’s granddaughter from the states.” He said as he gives her the token in exchange of her dollar. “I only have one arcade at the shop and Yujin is using it. You’ll have to wait your turn.”

 

Minjoo smiled at the man and thanked him before going out of the shop. As she went out she checked the top of the arcade to see if the boy still has tokens to play. It seems that he has used all of his tokens now. She walked closer to him and but the boy still didn’t notice him. ‘He’s so into it he doesn’t even notice me moving closer? He’s so cute.’ She thought with a smile and began to take a few shots.

 

“Ah fork!” the boy shouted as the arcade said he died in the game, and the screen showed a count down from 10. Minjoo thought it was a perfect opportunity to approach him. So she went to him and tapped her finger on his shoulder. The boy looked at her and Minjoo let out an amused laugh. She spread her hand on his face, her palms showing 3 tokens. Just three tokens, three tokens that changed her boring summer in Ganwondo, South Korea.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter