Step Six: Use the minions to your advantage.

How to Sail a Ship: Yeri's Guide to High School Stardom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

QOTD: ‘Flaws? What flaws? I have no flaws.’ -Joy

 

            “So my student council meetings are twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays, and modelling technically meets on Wednesdays but only to discuss whoever is needed for the art club on Thursdays, from what I heard from a member.” Yeri took a deep breath. “So I only have Mondays off, and I’m not sure if that’s enough for me to recover from the weekend.”

            Saeron peered at her friend. “I told you, you’re too young to complain about bloating.” She pointed at Yeri’s tray. “I’m pretty sure consuming two servings of sodium-packed tonkatsu is way worse for that than being busy.”

            “That’s at least thirty minutes to an hour each day, two to four hours a week lost to extracurriculars that I won’t be able to use for massaging and stretching.”

            “You sound like a woman in her fifties who refuses to accept that aging is a natural process.”

            Yeri glared at Saeron. “I’m gonna tell my mom you said that.”

            “She doesn’t obsessively ice her face like you do.”

            “Alright, but she’s already friends with the people at the place where she gets her anti-aging treatment, and that says a lot about what traits she passed down to me.”

            Saeron remained silent. Yeri smirked in victory.

            “Anyway, any social media upload-oriented hangouts will have to take place entirely over the weekends and Monday now, so just keep that in mind.”

            Saeron stared at Yeri with a face that was a mix of incredulity and relief. She shook her head and opened a textbook.

            “How’re you planning on doing your ‘massaging and stretching’-” she airquoted the last phrase- “if you’re gonna be spending all of your Mondays out and about?”

            Yeri scowled, pulling out her phone. “Don’t interrupt me, I’m busy.”

            “You only pulled out your phone so you don’t have to answer my extremely logical question!” Saeron exclaimed, throwing up her hands. Her pencil flung out from between her fingers and landed somewhere behind her. “Don’t you need to be somewhere?”

            Yeri glanced at the time on her phone. Oh . “Oh my gosh, I totally forgot!” She picked up her stuff and rushed out the door, quickly waving at Saeron on the way. Nearly stumbling, Yeri tugged on her shoes and jogged with as much grace as she could to the student council meeting.

-------

            Yeri hadn’t really seen much interaction between the school queens and the respective best friends of their enemies, because generally Irene and Joy were together, much like Seulgi and Wendy were, when the two rivals met up. This allowed for a fair distribution of squaring up between the two groups: Irene would heads with Seulgi, while Joy picked fights with Wendy. And like Yeri had noticed before, the latter duo didn’t really seem to have quite the same spirit in the predestined rivalry as their friends did, so she didn’t really pay much attention to them.

            Until, that is, she saw the cross situations.

            Of course she had heard all about how Irene and Wendy hated to agree on policies, resulting in a lot of gridlock, and Joy had told her that Wendy sometimes deliberately assigned tasks to the vice president before practices (although Yeri questioned the validity of this statement given Joy’s bias towards her own best friend). But to see it play out in front of her eyes, for an organization that Yeri would need to work with them in, made the freshman feel faint for a split second.

            “Alright, I guess we’ll start the meeting then!” Wendy stood in front of a powerpoint, Irene on the other side, and waved at the newcomers. “Hi everyone! I’m Son Wendy, the president of our student council, and I’m a senior living in the RV dorms. You may know me, or at least my voice, from the morning announcements.”

            Irene cleared . “I’m Bae Irene, the vice president. I’m also a senior, and I live in the FX dorms. I’m the one who handles most of the anonymous submissions on our Q&A page.”

            Everyone clapped for the two and Yeri watched lazily as the rest of the board introduced themselves. Club liaison, secretary, treasurer, freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior reps, event planner, and alumni coordinator. Yeri looked around and saw that her and one other person were the only people who hadn’t been introduced yet, so she bit her lip and waited for Wendy to say something.

            “Awesome! So we also have someone who signed up to be the other freshman rep and one publicity coordinator; if you can all just stand up and introduce yourselves, that’d be great!”

            Yeri waited for the other person to speak before flashing a dazzling smile (she made sure to go around and meet the eyes of all the members while doing so) and speaking. “Hi! I’m Kim Yeri, and I’ll be one of the freshman representatives. Nice to meet you!”

            From the way her seniors stared at her with ^ㅁ^ faces, Yeri knew that they had all fallen for her charm. That was just the way of life. Kim Yerim was a superstar, no matter which ground she set foot on. And she was going to prove her worth to everyone in school pretty soon. Because the first half of her target was right in front of her, looking at her with a polite smile.

            “Great!” Wendy quickly went through the slides and turned off the projector, opening up the floor to questions. Upon seeing that no one had any, she opened up her laptop and took a seat facing everyone. “We’ll be going over our agenda now, because there’s a lot that goes on during second semester, and we have to start planning for prom themes as soon as possible.” She glanced up at the board and smiled. “But for today, it’ll just be that. Any suggestions?”

            A hand shot up in the air. “!”

            “No,” Wendy firmly and quickly shot down. “Any other suggestions?”

            “Furries?”

            “No. Any other normal suggestions?”

            Yeri thought for a while and raised her hand, screaming on the inside with what a genius she was. Wendy gave her a relieved look (which was also mixed with a bit of wariness, although Yeri didn’t blame her considering the previous suggestions) and called on her. “Yes, Yeri?”

            “I actually have two ideas: how about either cute sailor-themed like that legendary Genie video or y executive-themed like with Be Natural?”

            Wendy nodded, as did Irene. Yeri grinned proudly until she saw the two side-eyeing each other. Irene spoke first.

            “I like suits. Be Natural seems like a great place to get inspiration for a prom party.”

            Wendy hummed in disagreement. “You could do a lot more with Genie’s sailor theme. Especially in terms of design and food.”

            Ah. So this is what they meant by gridlock. Yeri cursed herself for suggesting two ideas at the same time. Oh well, she rationalized. If she hadn’t, someone else would have suggested something else anyway, and it was better her ideas than some rando’s.

            “What are you going to do with a sailor theme? It’s so overused, and some people hate seafood.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter