Step Thirteen: Be a double agent. Loyalties are overrated anyway.

How to Sail a Ship: Yeri's Guide to High School Stardom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

QOTD: ‘If being the president of the Kang Spike fanclub is what I need to do to get Seulgi to let me kiss her, I’ll run a nation despite hating politics.’ -Lee Sunmi

 

            “I’d never be her friend again, even if she begged on her knees and burnt down the world for me.”

            Yeri blinked, caught off-guard by the slip of the tongue from Irene. They had been working with the club’s treasurer to figure out the funding for an upcoming freshman event, and somehow the topic of Kang Seulgi came up (the treasurer was a part of Kang Spike). Most of it had been the treasurer gushing about how Seulgi was featured in an article highlighting high school volleyball players under the description ‘athletics, academics, arts, and more!’ with the ‘more’ being the ten hours of community service she put in each week for tutoring low-income children in the area. Maybe it was her competitiveness, maybe she just didn’t like hearing good things about Kang Seulgi, maybe it’s Maybelline, but Irene immediately proceeded to shoot down why Seulgi wasn’t as good of a person as people made her out to be (rather subjectively). Leading to the above statement.

            It was definitely not a mistake, Yeri conjectured, using her powerful detective brain (she wasn’t sure what to do about the fact that she was so good at everything: God had truly given her perfection, and she was afraid to blind the mortals). From what she gathered with Seulrene’s fight previously, it was very plausible: Irene definitely said ‘again.’

            “Again?” Yeri tilted her head innocently to the side, trying to draw more out from the older girl. She wasn’t sure if Irene noticed though, given the cheerleader’s excessive blinking.

            “What?”

            Yeri smiled slightly. “You said ‘again.’”

            “No, I didn’t.” Irene cleared discreetly. “Maybe you heard wrong.”

            Yeri noticed the treasurer watching them with a weird fire in her eyes; she wasn’t sure if it was with the need to defend Seulgi or with interest in the drama (no judgement if it was the latter, because Yeri could relate so hard). Either way, Yeri knew Irene wouldn’t just spill with her around, so she suggested taking a break.

            Irene followed her out to the hallway. “Just so you don’t misunderstand, Seulgi is not the type of girl who I’d be friends with.”

            Yeri feigned innocence once again as she led them to the roof of the building. “What is the type of friend you’d have?” She smiled teasingly. “Me?”

            “Hahaha, yes, you.” Irene smiled. “Preferably someone who is nice, understanding, not a backstabber…” She whispered the last part.

            Yeri raised an eyebrow. “I’d say Seulgi unnie is pretty nice and understanding, but not everyone’s experiences with her might be the same.” She turned to Irene. “It’s okay if you’re not her biggest fan, I won’t judge you.”

            Gratitude shined on the older girl’s face as she met Yeri’s eyes. “I knew I could trust you. Even if you hang out with Seulgi too.”

            Yeri blinked, not sure what to make of that statement (she was always trustworthy; Irene obviously didn’t know her enough, but she digressed) but nodded. “You can tell me anything. Your worries, pet peeves, anything. I’m, like, so good at solving stuff, I even do crosswords sometimes.”

            “That’s great, Yeri.” Yeri swore that that wasn’t a grimace on Irene’s face. “Maybe we should head back now and finish the budgeting.”

            The younger girl was going to consider this conversation a win, because even though Irene’s face after her crossword statement was rather ambiguous, she was now sure that she had unlocked the next level (DON’T SING IT, DON’T SING IT, DON’T-) of friendship with the vice president, meaning perhaps (just maybe), Irene would let Yeri in more on what went down between her and her rival four years ago.

-------

            “Jesus Christ, Yeri, can you please, just once, for the love of your entire lipstick collection, CLEAN UP YOUR SIDE OF THE ROOM.”

            Yeri stopped typing the very, very important message on her social media to stare at her best friend. Saeron rolled her eyes at her before redirecting Yeri’s attention to her side of the room.

            “It’s a mess!”

            Yeri peered around. Her eyes caught the mirror again. “All I see is—”

            “NO!” Saeron threw a blanket over the mirror. “Not again; look!” She pointed at Yer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter