Step Eleven: Eavesdrop on a private conversation. Don’t tell anyone else.

How to Sail a Ship: Yeri's Guide to High School Stardom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

QOTD: ‘You haven’t really known a woman until you’ve seen her toss off her bra at the end of the day.’ -Betty White

 

            Frustrated with the lack of progress she seemed to be making, Yeri headed back to the dorms and found her friend cleaning the room, muttering something about living with a pig. Yeri had no idea what Saeron was talking about, of course, because Yeri was always clean. Always.

            “I swear to God, she’s never once thrown out her trash,” Saeron spat, cringing at the overflowing trash bin near Yeri’s desk. Yeri watched her with narrowed eyes. “It’s like she can’t smell any of this .”

            “Did you say something?”

            Saeron jumped, obviously surprised at Yeri’s sudden appearance. Yeri thought it served her right for talking about her in her own room (regardless of the fact that it was her shared room).

            “Oh Jesus, you scared me!” Saeron clutched at her chest before shaking her head in exasperation. “No, right now I should be more worried about your biohazardous living space.”

            “You live here too!”

            Saeron sweeped her arms around the space. “Okay, tell me what you see.”

            Yeri scanned the room until she made eye contact with herself in a full-length body mirror. “A breathtakingly beautiful girl, ready to shine bright and move onto the next level of her life after sailing the school’s most popular ship—”

            “No, not the mirror, you fool!” Saeron marched over and grabbed Yeri’s face, much to the smaller girl’s protests, and swiveled it forcefully at certain parts of the room. “Look at my side, then look at yours!”

            Yeri squinted, cheeks still squished between her friend’s hands. “Wait, lemme see my side again.”

            Saeron dutifully turned her head.

            “Okay, and yours.”

            Saeron complied again.

            Yeri hummed a bit before swatting off Saeron’s hands and crossing her arms across her chest. “Well, there’s one super obvious answer.”

            There was anticipation on Saeron’s face as Yeri looked back and forth once more. “Yes?”

            “Your taste in decorations is horrible, while my interior designing skills are simply impeccable.” Yeri walked over to her friend’s bed and frowned as she lifted a decorative cactus pot. “What the hell is this?”

            “I could slap that .”

            “Excuse me, what?” Yeri whirled around and faced Saeron to see the taller girl looking at her with surprised eyes. “Did I hear incorrectly?”

            “Oh gosh, I meant to say that in my head.”

            “That doesn’t make things better?!”

            “Oh well.” Saeron shrugged. “Now that it’s out in the open, can I?”

            Yeri huffed, offended. “No!”

            “A shame.”

            “, I’ll slap you first.”

            “As if your unathletic could even catch me in time.”

            “Kim Saeron!”

            Needless to say, Yeri refused to help clean their room that day, too tired from having chased her friend down the stairs, around the block, and back up the stairs.

-------

            Ms. Kwon continued to give everyone class time to work on their projects, but the lady had forgotten to give them access to computers to do certain parts of their work, so everyone was pretty much forced to work outside of class hours as well, regardless of how much time they put into completing the project in class. And that in itself made Ms. Kwon move down on Yeri’s list of favourite teachers (her favourite so far was Ms. Seo, her biology teacher and also the sweetest person to walk on earth, mostly because she always failed to see Yeri fixing her makeup in the back of the class, where her assigned seating was).

            Needless to say, Yeri found herself doing all the talking as her two partners seethed at each other, unwilling to cooperate. And as much as she just wanted to let fate run its course and just bull the project, Yeri knew the projects category took up a pretty hefty chunk of the class grading weights and she wasn’t about to get anything less than an A in a notoriously easy class where more than ninety percent of all students got an A.

            She was perfect like that, caring for her beauty, social life, and academics.

            At this point in her life, pretty much the only thing that wasn’t perfect came in the form of the two older girls peering suspiciously at each other (silent, but only because Ms. Kwon was sitting literally right in front of them with crossed arms). Yeri, not to lie, was getting pretty exhausted at having to turn her head left, right, left, right as if she was some sort of weird

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter