Chapter Four

Saving You

The girls were all sitting in a circle in Yubin’s apartment. They were all telling stories from their trainee days that the other members didn’t know about.

Bora was just finishing up a story about how she was almost caught sneaking a hamburger into the bathroom by a manager. The members were in between laughing and feeling concern for young Bora. It was a well-known fact that trainees were malnourished and forced to starve so they could look skinny. They nodded along, they all knew what it felt like to be so hungry that a burger in the bathroom sounded appetizing. But they were still caught laughing because, of course, it was Bora who was causing trouble. It was always her.

Siyeon then told a story about how her parents had once tried to visit and mistook the company CEO for the front desk manager. The girls all gasped in horror, except Yoohyeon, who chose that moment to excuse herself for a drink or water. They didn’t see her again until Siyeon finished her story with her parents having to leave in shame. When Yoohyeon took a seat, Handong looked to her questioningly. “What about you? You’ve got to have some good stories.”

She just unenthusiastically shrugged her shoulders. Her hands fidgeted with her pants as she looked to the floor. “Before I met you guys, my trainee days were hard.”

Gahyeon scooted in closer. “All of our trainee days were hard. You can tell us anything, we’ll understand.”

Yoohyeon just sighed. “It was before Minx. I just had a really lonely time. The only person who really knows about it is CEO Won.”

Minji gave her a little smile. “I used to feel really lonely too before we started training together. But I could always call my parents and I’d feel a little better.”

“Yoohyeon, I’ve never heard you talk about your parents. Surely you guys still talked when you were a trainee...?” Yubin always paid attention to the little details.

Yoohyeon just raised her head. “My parents died when I was a trainee.”

There was an audible gasp from the rest of the members. How was it possible that none of them knew? They tried to think about what Yoohyeon would do when they went home for holidays. Where she would stay. And now that they really thought about it, they had no idea.

Minji was the first to speak up. “Yooh... I’m so sorry. I- I had no idea.” The rest of the girls echoed similar sentiments.

She just shrugged again. “It’s okay now. It was just a hard time back then. My dad got really sick when I was a kid and money was tight because of the medical bills. Me being at home was hurting even more because I was another mouth to feed. Another body to clothe. Kids are expensive, I always knew that. I had a passion for music and dance, and figured becoming a trainee would be the best job I could find that would provide housing and food for me. So I auditioned and I got in. I wanted to take the burden off my parents.

I was only here for a couple months when I got news my dad passed away. I couldn’t go see him in his last days because the company kept me working, and none of us really knew it was going to be that quick. My mom died soon after because she was so ridden from grief that she neglected to take care of herself. She fell ill and within a few days, I had no home and no family.”

The girls all sat silently, unable to reconcile this scared little kid who was homeless and alone with the bright vibrant woman they had come to know. They all tried to imagine how painful losing her parents like that must have been, especially not being able to see them at that age, but none of them could even come close to understanding.

Yoohyeon tried to put on a smile. “It’s okay, though. CEO Won was really great about all this. He treated me well and as long as I practiced hard, he would buy me anything I needed. Clothes, food, even games sometimes. And then I found you guys. When we started training together as Minx, I found a home with all of you. Everyone took care of me so well, it made me miss my parents less and less. When we became Dreamcatcher and added Gahyeon and Dong, it was even better.”

All of them were still just sitting there trying to process everything Yoohyeon had told them. Gahyeon had tears in her eyes hearing about the kind of pain her friend had to go through. She thought about what Yoohyeon did when all the other girls went home. She wondered how the older girl must have felt when she graduated and only her Minx members came to support her. The thought only hurt her more.

Yoohyeon looked around and saw her story had put a bit of a damper on the mood. She excused herself. “I’m a bit tired, I think I’m just going to go to sleep.” As she left, Bora stood up and followed her out. When they got to Yubin’s guest room, she closed the door behind them.

“Yooh...”

When the younger girl turned around and Bora could see tears in her eyes, she hurried over and wrapped her up in a warm hug.

“This is why we always felt such an inclination to protect you, huh? We didn’t even realize it, but we were all basically raising you. That’s why it’s so easy for you to fall into that role.”

The younger girl nodded, and pulled away. Through tears, she still tried to crack a joke. “I’d say you guys did a pretty good job with me, though. Don’t you think?”

Bora just laughed. “I’m glad you think so.”

She quickly grew serious. “I know we’re all a little bit crazy, but we all care about you so much. We will always be here for you through everything. Please know you don’t have to keep secrets from us. We can help you through tough times.”

Yoohyeon gave her the first genuine smile of the night. “I know. You guys really do take care of me, but I guess I need it. I’ll come to you guys if there’s anything troubling me.”

Bora only hoped this would be the truth. But she knew how much Yoohyeon tried to hide her pain. She was already the baby of the group, aside from Gahyeon, and she hated feeling like she was asking for too much or worrying the other members. Bora was sure there were still things Yoohyeon would try to hide from them, because she didn’t want them to feel bad for her or worry about her.

The younger girl crawled into bed and Bora sat on the edge, softly putting her hand on Yoohyeon’s leg. “I think I’m going to sleep in here with you, if that’s alright?”

Yoohyeon just smiled. “I’d like that.”

Instead of settling down in a sleeping bag or on the floor like Yoohyeon was expecting, Bora just climbed into the bed next to her. She was going to make a joke about it, but then felt Bora wrap her arms around her. In that moment, she felt so secure and safe.

She closed her eyes, but wasn’t quite yet asleep when she heard the door open.

Siyeon walked in and saw the two with their eyes closed and assumed they were asleep. There was no room on the bed, so Siyeon just shrugged and started making a makeshift bed on the floor with blankets and pillows. Before she laid down, she discreetly kissed the young girl on the forehead. “Love you, Yoohyeon. Good night.”

Handong was next to enter and laughed softly when she saw some of the other members already had the same idea as her. None of them wanted Yoohyeon to sleep alone. She too thought the younger girl was sleeping so she wordlessly grabbed her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze before she settled in next to Siyeon for the night.

Minji and Gahyeon entered in together, and found a very crowded guest room. As Gahyeon set up another makeshift bed on the floor, Minji gently laid a hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. “You’ll always have a family with me.” Gahyeon walked over as well and whispered quietly.

“Home isn’t a place, it’s a feeling. And I feel it when I’m with you. I know you won’t hear this, but I still want to say it. I love you.”

Minji and Gahyeon carefully stepped over Siyeon and Handong’s sleeping figures and laid in the blanket bed Gahyeon had built.

When Yubin finally walked in, she found that her own guest bedroom barely had any room for her. She just groaned. Minji and Gahyeon giggled quietly as they watched Yubin leave, then return two minutes later with a sleeping bag. She glared at them playfully as she set it up on the floor.

She then carefully stepped over everyone and made her way over to the bedside. “Yoohyeon... I’m sleeping in a stuffy sleeping bag in my own home. On my own floor. Instead of my warm cozy bed one door over. All just for you. I hope you’re happy.” Though her tone was teasing, she carefully tucked a strand of Yoohyeon’s hair behind her ear. Even with her eyes closed, she could feel how genuinely Yubin cared for her.

With all the kind words, Yoohyeon fell asleep that night with a huge smile on her face. Maybe she didn’t have a family in the traditional sense, but she did have a family. And that’s all that mattered to her. In that moment, it’s all she could have ever asked for. She knew she’d do anything for any one of them.