Chapter Three

Saving You

Minji was shaken out of the memory by the sound of sirens. Reality came crashing back down on her as the lifeless body of her best friend lay in her arms. Paramedics rushed out of a nearby ambulance and quickly pulled Yoohyeon away from her. The older girl watched, completely numb, as she was loaded onto a stretcher and carried off in the back of an ambulance.

She continued watching, unable to move, as it drove off down the street towards the nearest hospital. A pair of arms wrapped around her and she turned to see Siyeon with unshed tears in her eyes. It was almost like an out of body experience. Surreal, in all the wrong ways.

She allowed Siyeon to help her stand and walk her towards the car that would inevitably take her to the emergency room. Minji suddenly remembered that she was here with someone else and she was rejuvenated for just one second as her eyes tried to find Gahyeon. She couldn’t deal with the possibility that two of her closest friends had been hurt and she wasn’t able to do anything about it.

When Siyeon noticed Minji looking around frantically, she gave her a reassuring squeeze.

“Bora and Handong got her to the car already. We think her leg is broken. When the paramedics came, she refused to go with them, insisting that all of their resources go to saving Yooh...” Her voice choked up at the end. She took a second to recompose herself.

“Whenever you’re ready, we can get into the car and drive over. Yubin is already there in the waiting room and will let us know if there are any updates so there is no rush. We can stay out here if you need. I can tell Bora to drive Gahyeon there first and wait for her to come back for us.”

Minji glanced to the floor and saw blood. The scene of Yoohyeon getting hit kept replaying in her head as she looked around. She shook her head quietly, tears beginning to stream down her face again. She couldn't stay here. “I’m ready, let’s just go now.”

She tried to move on her own, but she felt so numb. So weak. Before the older girl could fall and hurt herself, Siyeon grabbed hold of her and helped walk her to the car. The silence was deafening during the whole car ride.

Nobody spoke a word. There was an occasional whimper of pain from Gahyeon, but even those were few and far between. She too, was distracted by the thought of losing Yoohyeon. None of the girls wanted to voice that thought aloud, but they were all thinking it. The atmosphere was heavy as they all walked inside. Yubin stood up and immediately grew concerned to see Gahyeon leaning so heavily on her members.

She rushed over and took over for Handong, who looked like she needed a little break from practically carrying the youngest girl. Siyeon did the same for Bora, and the three headed off to get Gahyeon’s leg checked out. Bora and Handong were left with a devastated Minji and they all silently took their seats in the waiting room.

Still, nobody said a word.