Fin.

Anything for You

Society seemed to put a lot of pressure on young teens to find themselves in their years of adolescence. They force them to know their dreams and aspirations at such a young age, making them choose subjects and universities that will bring them closer to their ‘dreams’. It’s cruel, really, to put a lot of pressure on people who are in some of their most vulnerable stages in life. 

 

University, however, is a different story. 

 

University was the time to find yourself through trying anything. You can try activities without worrying about what others may think, because frankly, mostly everyone has hopefully gotten over that stage where they ridicule every little thing everyone else does. 

 

University was the time to try new things. Experiment. 

 

At least that was how Jo Yuri saw it. 

 

So there she was, first year university student Jo Yuri, standing in front of the dorm door of a girl she’s never met before. Her palms were sweating a little bit and she was debating on whether she should just turn around and forget this entire thing. 

 

But she stood her ground. 

 

‘You’re in University, Jo Yuri.’ She told herself. ‘You have to put yourself out there.’ 

 

She hesitantly brought her hand up to the door. Then she knocked three times. 

 

She made a deal with herself that she would count to 12 (because 10 was overrated) and if the door wouldn’t open by then, she’d turn around and never look back. 

 

She had only counted to four when she heard a muffled, ‘coming!’ come from behind the door. 

 

Yuri took a deep breath. There was no turning back now. 

 

The door opened to reveal a sleepy looking girl in a ruffled, oversized hoodie and some sweatpants (which may or may not have had a stain on them but Yuri wasn’t one to judge). Yuri had to admit, this wasn’t what she expected this girl to look like given everything she’d heard about her. 

 

‘Yuqi, for the last time, I didn’t sleep with your sister—‘ 

 

When she saw that the girl standing outside her door was definitely not Yuqi, she froze, her eyes widening in shock. 

 

‘— and you’re not Yuqi… oh God. No, you are definitely not Yuqi.’ 

 

‘Definitely not Yuqi.’ Yuri nodded in agreement. 

 

The girl laughed a little at that, though she didn’t lose her slightly awkward demeanour. 

 

‘You’re Choi Yena right?’ Yuri said. 

 

‘That is I.’ The girl, Yena, nodded. 

 

Yuri clasped her fingers together in front of her. She went back and forth from being on her tippy toes and having her feet flat on the ground. 

 

Yuri didn’t know what to say next. She actually hadn’t thought this far yet. 

 

‘How may I help you?’ Yena said. ‘Have we met before?’ 

 

She looked up to see Yena staring expectantly at her. Yuri took a deep breath. 

 

‘I need you to sleep with me.’

 

As soon as the words left Yuri’s mouth she clasped one hand over it in shock, she had surprised herself with her directness. 

 

But probably not as surprised as poor old Yena. had fallen open and Yena stood frozen in front of the door, almost like she was malfunctioning.

 

‘Shoot! That was way too sudden, I’m sorry.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena looked like she had regained herself but the way she had to choke out her words seemed to say otherwise. ‘Don’t be. You just caught me off guard.’ 

 

‘I’m sorry, I didn’t even introduce myself.’ Yuri smacked her forehead. She held out a hand. ‘My name is Jo Yuri and I’m a first year music student here at Enozi University.’ 

 

Yena tentatively took Yuri’s hand. 

 

‘Nice to meet you.’ Yena said, bringing her hand awkwardly to her side, and then up to her face to scratch at her jaw.

 

She tilted her neck a little when she did that and Yuri could see her defined jawline. 

 

Huh, Yuri thought to herself, I can see the appeal now.

 

‘I’m sorry. I must have made this really awkward.’ Yuri said. ‘It’s just that, I’ve never really had before and I really want to now that I’m officially an adult and I’m in college and I’ve heard from some people that you have lots of experience in but not in a bad way, don’t worry! They recommending you is a compliment, because they said you were really good and uh… yeah… what I’m trying to say is will you sleep with me?’ 

 

Yena seemed to be left speechless yet again. 

 

‘Platonically. Will you sleep with me platonically?’ Yuri said, her cheeks flushing red. ‘You know what, I just made this super weird. I’m sorry to disturb you, just forget any of this ever happened—‘ 

 

‘I’ll sleep with you.’ 

 

‘— and we’ll just go our separate ways… wait, what?’ 

 

Yena scratched at her cheek. 

 

‘I’ll do it.’ Yena said. ‘I can sleep with you. Platonically.’ 


 

………………..


 

Lee Chaeryeong, Yuri’s best friend and roommate waved a hand in front of Yuri’s face. Chaeryeong and Yuri met during the summer break when the two of them joined a summer dance class. They realised just how much they had in common, including the University they were going to and them both being fine arts majors. After that, they grew extremely close. 

 

‘Hey. Jo Yuri, are you even listening to me?’ 

 

Yuri snapped out of her daze. 

 

‘Yes, I am. I’m listening.’ 

 

‘And what did I just say?’ 

 

‘Uh….’ 

 

Chaeryeong shook her head. She sat down next to Yuri, a hand placed on her shoulder. 

 

‘Was she that hot?’ Chaeryeong said with a straight face. But the way she was shaking slightly showed the way she was holding in her laughter. 

 

‘Hot? Who?’ Yuri said. 

 

‘Choi Yena, duh.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘You’ve been quiet ever since you talked to her this morning.’

 

‘Oh right.’ Yuri said. She thought for a moment. Choi Yena certainly did not look like what Yuri expected. Underneath the baggy and sloppy looking clothing, Yena had more… cute features. But then again, her jawline was pretty killer. Yena was probably one of those hidden hotties, the ones that can flip a switch and charm you the hell out of your underwear. 

 

‘Damn, I’ve never seen you thinking this hard.’ 

 

‘She’s cute.’ Yuri said. She thought of Yena’s eyes widening in shock from behind her round specs. ‘Definitely cute.’ 

 

‘Cute?’ Chaeryeong said. ‘I thought you’re trying to sleep with someone, not adopt a baby.’ 

 

‘No, I don’t need a baby. I already have to take care of you.’ 

 

Chaeryeong pushed Yuri and her small body went flying off the bed, landing with a thud on the ground beneath them. 

 

Yuri only sat up and rubbed her arm with a pout, already used to Chaeryeong’s roughness. Which was only with her. Chaeryeong was never like that with anyone else. Might be to do with the fact that Yuri was the most pushable human being ever. 

 

And besides, Yuri knew that was just Chaeryeong’s way of showing her love and affection towards her. Yuri always got her back, too. 

 

‘At least this baby can score a date.’ Chaeryeong mumbled under her breath but Yuri’s musician ears caught it. 

 

Yuri jumped up. 

 

‘A date?!’

 

Chaeryeong smirked. 

 

They were interrupted however, by a knock on their door. 

 

‘It’s me!’ said a voice from behind the door. 

 

‘Go away!’ Yuri teased when she realised who the voice was. 

 

‘But I brought macaroons!’ The voice whined. 

 

Chaeryeong and Yuri glanced at each other before jumping towards the door and swinging it open. 

 

‘Minjoo!’ Yuri said. ‘You have no idea how happy I am to see you!’ 

 

Minjoo was Yuri’s other best friend since High School. Minjoo didn’t stay at the dorms but lived in her older sister’s apartment nearby. But sometimes it felt like she lived in Yuri and Chaeryeong’s dorm with the amount of times she’s over there. 

 

Minjoo rolled her eyes. ‘Really? I could tell by the way you didn’t reply to my messages this morning.’ 

 

‘Let her slide.’ Chaeryeong said, taking the box of macaroons from Minjoo’s hands. ‘She was busy securing a buddy this morning.’ 

 

Minjoo stopped, shooting Yuri an impressed look. ‘You found someone?!’ 

 

Yuri just chuckled lightly to herself. 

 

‘Not just anyone.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Choi Yena. As in, the most notorious d-word in the third year. Every gay girl or girl wanting to experiment has slept with her.’ 

 

‘Woah!’ Minjoo’s eyes widened comically. ‘Congrats, Yuri! And it’s a girl! I’m proud of you!’ 

 

‘However,’ Chaeryeong raised an eyebrow, ‘she’s slept with a lot of people so ask her if she’s been tested recently for you know… STDs.’ 

 

Minjoo hit her on the shoulder with eyes wide with dramatic shock. ‘Don’t say that, Chaeryeong. Yuri, I’m sure Choi Yena doesn’t have any STDs.’ 

 

Chaeryeong put her hands up in defense. ‘Okay, Miss-Always-Look-On-The-Brightside, I’m just saying she could I’m not saying she does.

 

Just then, Yuri’s phone started to ring. 

 

When she saw the name on the screen, she gasped. 

 

‘Oh my God. It’s Yena.’ 

 

‘Put it on speakerphone!’ 

 

‘Ask her if she’s been tested recently for STDs!’ 

 

Yuri agreed with Minjoo’s suggestion but only rolled her eyes at Chaeryeong’s. 

 

‘Hello?’ Yuri answered the call. 

 

‘Hey, Jo Yuri.’ Yena said. ‘Is this a good time?’ 

 

‘Yeah, it is!’ Yuri said. ‘What’s up?’ 

 

She slapped Chaeryeong’s leg when she started making kissy faces towards Yuri. 

 

‘I was just thinking about your… request.’ 

 

Yuri bit her lip. She prepared herself for rejection. Yena probably changed her mind about the entire thing. Who would want to sleep with Yuri anyways? Plus, Yuri was way too direct that morning, she might have scared the girl away. 

 

‘Are you very sure you want, well... me?’ Yena said. 

 

‘Why not?’ Yuri said. ‘You know, if you don’t want to sleep with me, it’s fine. I don’t mind.’ 

 

‘No, no, I’m still down for that!’ Yena said. ‘It’s just… this is your first time, isn’t it? I just want to make sure that you’re completely okay with me taking something so special.’ 

 

Yuri didn’t expect that. That was actually kind of thoughtful of Yena. She could see Minjoo happily trying to contain her giggles while Chaeryeong just wiggled her eyebrows next to her. 

 

‘If I wasn’t I wouldn’t have asked you, Choi Yena.’ Yuri chuckled into the phone. ‘But thank you for being so thoughtful.’ 

 

‘I just want to make sure that you’re completely okay with it.’ Yena said as to which Minjoo placed a hand onto her chest in an overdramatic fashion. ‘Oh, also, are you allergic to any foods? Or is there anything you don’t really like?’ 

 

‘Not particularly.’ Yuri said. ‘Though, I’m not really good with spicy food.’ 

 

‘Noted.’ Yena said. ‘Well, um, I’ll leave you to it then! See you Friday night?’ 

 

‘Friday night. Your dorm. Got it.’ Yuri said. 

 

‘Okay. Cool.’ Yena said. ‘Bye, Jo Yuri.’ 

 

‘See you.’ 

 

Yuri hung up the phone. 

 

‘Okay, is it just me or is it kind of hot when she calls me by full name?’ 

 

Minjoo started to hit her repeatedly on the shoulder, squeals of joy coming from . 

 

‘My heart! Yuri, she’s actually so sweet.’ Minjoo gushed. 

 

Yena did seem awfully nice for thinking about her. The fact that she called her first meant that she had been thinking about this. Which was comforting to Yuri as it meant that Yena was taking this seriously. 

 

‘10 bucks that you two end up falling for each other.’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Yuri let out a laugh. ‘Nah. We agreed to just keep it platonic.’

 

………………….

 

The rest of the week went by pretty smoothly, with Yuri just working on some assignments that were due the next week. For someone who was majoring in a fine arts subject she sure had a lot of writings she had to do. But then again, it was only her first year and her first semester, they probably just had to cover a lot of basics. Like unfortunately, theory. And do a presentation on the history of pop music. But that’s okay, at least Yuri was interested in it. Besides, it gave her an excuse to listen to tons of music. 

 

And then Friday night came. 

 

Yena had texted Yuri that morning to ask again if she was still up to doing it, in which Yuri only replied a winky face to her (as per Chaeryeong’s suggestion). Later that night, Yuri was the one to text her first that she was on her way. 

 

Yuri would be lying if she said that she wasn’t shaking on the way to Yena’s dorm room. But surprisingly, it was mostly out of excitement and the adrenaline pumping through her veins. 

 

What actually surprised Yuri was the full meal awaiting her when she arrived at the dorm room. 

 

(And no, she was not talking about Yena, who she had to admit looked extremely attractive in her flannel shirt. Talk about raging d-word). 

 

‘I hope you like udon!’ Yena said. ‘And tempura vegetables.’ 

 

Yuri breathed in the scent of the food, her stomach grumbling as soon as the smell hit her nose. 

 

‘Have you eaten?’ Yena laughed a little at Yuri’s stomach. 

 

‘No.’ Yuri pouted. ‘I used up my allowance for this week and I’m too shy to ask my parents for more money.’ 

 

‘Well, you’re in luck.’ Yena said. ‘Welcome to Cafe De Yena!’ 

 

Yena had placed the noodles on what looked like was her suitcase, as if it was a tiny makeshift table. She had placed pillows on either side of the suitcase, which she had prompted Yuri to sit on. 

 

‘Would you like anything to drink? I have water and uh… milkis.’ 

 

Yuri’s eyes lit up at the mention of the latter. 

 

‘I love milkis!’ 

 

Yena only winked at her before pulling two cans of it out of her fridge. 

 

‘You didn’t have to do all this, you know.’ Yuri said while Yena handed her the drinks. ‘But, thank you.’ 

 

Yena sighed, sitting cross legged into the pillow across from Yuri.

 

‘I just thought it would be nice if we talked a little more and got to know each other. You know, before I take your... ity.’ 

 

Yuri’s cheeks went a little pink at that.

 

‘And I wanted to make sure that you’re comfortable. Not gonna lie, I’m kind of nervous right now.’ 

 

Now that Yena mentioned, Yuri could see how Yena was scratching subtly on the zipper of her luggage. In fact, Yena seemed more nervous than Yuri, which somehow made Yuri feel more at ease. 

 

Because, yes, Yena was definitely cute. Adorable, even. Yuri couldn’t believe she was the flirty boi type everyone was saying she was. 

 

‘Why are you nervous?’ Yuri said. ‘It’s just me.’ 

 

‘But Yuri, this is your first time. I don’t want to mess anything up, you know?’

 

‘Don’t worry, Yena.’ Yuri placed a hand on top of Yena’s. ‘You’re already in my good books for the food. Plus, I feel really comfortable around you. Which is weird because it usually takes awhile for me to warm up to people I had never talked to before.’

 

It’s not everyday she’d hold a complete stranger’s hand like that. But Yuri knew it was because Yena was just a very comforting presence to be around. 

 

For someone who had just met Yuri, Yena was pretty open about sharing her feelings. Yuri had never met anyone who was as good at communicating her feelings as much as Yena. It didn’t help that she, Chaeryeong and Minjoo were some of the shyest people. It took them months to finally open up to each other.

 

But Yena wasn’t feeling overbearingly open like those people who tell you their entire life story the moment you laid eyes on them. (Though most of the time those kind of people were either really old and lonely or were middle aged moms you’d meet in line during checkout at bed, bath and beyond). 

 

Yena was the perfect balance of open and not oversharing and that made Yuri feel very welcome and comfortable around her presence. Almost as if she was talking to a best friend. 

 

‘Huh.’ Yena mused to no one in particular. She rested her gaze on Yuri and Yuri couldn’t help but notice that she had really pretty eyes. ‘I’m sorry if it’s weird to ask but, why exactly did you ask me?’

 

‘It’s not weird.’ Yuri assured her before adding, ‘my friend’s older sister, a second year, told me about you. You’re pretty popular among them, apparently.’

 

Yena let out a shy chuckle, her hand making its way to her cheek to give it a quick scratch. ‘Sorry, I didn’t ask the question properly. I meant, like, why did you decide to have your first time like this?’ 

 

‘Like what? You mean, with a stranger?’ 

 

Yena nodded. 

 

Yuri bit her lip and Yena could see a slight blush on her cheeks. 

 

‘Nostalgia,’ was all Yuri said after a while. 

 

Yena eyed the wistful look on her face, waiting for her to elaborate. However, after a few moments Yena realised that Yuri was stuck in her own little dreamland, most likely daydreaming about whatever the nostalgic story is. 

 

Yuri must have noticed Yena’s amused gaze on her because she suddenly shook her head, snapping herself out of whatever memory she was indulging in. 

 

‘Right. Sorry, I zone out a lot sometimes.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena only chuckled lightly. ‘It’s cute. Care to share about your philosophical discovery?’ 

 

‘It’s not philosophy, it’s just my first kiss.’ Yuri said.  

 

‘Ooh. First kiss story.’ Yena shuffled excitedly in her seat. ‘Let’s hear it.’ 

 

‘It’s nothing too special, really.’ Yuri said. ‘It’s kinda funny. It was back in my hometown, I’m from Busan originally, hence my accent if you haven’t noticed.’ 

 

‘Oh, I’ve noticed.’ Yena said. ‘Also something very cute about you.’ 

 

‘Uh- t-thank you.’ Yuri blushed slightly.  

 

‘No problem.’ Yena showed her pearly white teeth. ‘Anyways, continue your story.’ 

 

‘Right.’ Yuri said. ‘Well, I was playing in the park, I think I was about 9 years old? And I was just minding my own business right? Just playing with my little sister making sure she didn’t break her arm and catching her at the bottom of the slide, all that stuff. I was actually accompanying her there cause she was meeting her friend for a playdate. Just big sister tingz, you know?’ 

 

‘I get yah.’ Yena said.  

 

‘Anyways, so my little sister’s best friend and her mom finally came, so I was free to go home and play piano and I was super excited. But then, I ran into… her.’ 

 

Yena leaned a little closer, ‘her? Thank, God. Your first kiss was a girl. Now I’m even more intrigued.’ 

 

‘It was a girl alright. Though I don’t really remember what she looks like. Or her name.’ Yuri scratched her head. 

 

‘A stranger.’ Yena said, ‘I think I’m starting to piece the puzzle together, now. You asked her to kiss you the same way you asked me to sleep with you, right?’ 

 

‘Uhhh… actually, she asked me.’ 

 

Yena looked impressed. 

 

‘Look, she just stopped me and she was like, hi! How old are you? And I was so confused but I was like oh I’m 9 which to she said, oh great! I’m 11! And then! She said, Hey, can you do me a favor? I need you to kiss me. Is that okay?’ 

 

‘She just said it? Like that?’ 

 

‘Yup.’ Yuri said. 

 

‘And you agreed? Just like that?’ 

 

‘Of course, not.’ Yuri said. ‘Honestly, I was speechless and I just shook my head in shock.’ 

 

‘But she kissed you anyways?’ 

 

‘Yena, are you going to let me tell the story or are you going to keep asking questions?’ Yuri chuckled to herself. 

 

‘Right, sorry, I’m really invested in this story. I’ll shut up.’ Yena mimicked zipping shut. 

 

‘You’re cute.’ Yuri said. ‘To cut the story short, she told me that she’s been dared to kiss the closest person to her, and that if I didn’t kiss her, she’d have to kiss that boy standing next to her. Let me tell you, I don’t remember what the girl looks like but that boy? I remember him vividly. He was so nasty. I couldn’t let the poor girl kiss that ogre. So, I let her kiss me.’ 

 

‘And?’ 

 

Yuri shrugged. ‘It was cool.’ 

 

‘Cool? That’s it? No explosion of color? No heavy beating heart?’ 

 

‘Nope. It was just a kiss.’ 

 

‘That . And here I thought I was gonna hear a story about your first love.’ 

 

‘Well, when I find that story, you’ll be the first to know.’ Yuri said. ‘What about you? How was your first kiss?’ 

 

‘Sadly, it was with a boy. And teeth, a lot of teeth.’ Yena said, scrunching up her nose in disgust. ‘Like, I don’t know how it happened but our teeth just collided.’ 

 

‘That’s sad.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena just shrugged. ‘I honestly think it’s funny. For me, I’d rather have first kiss stories be funny than romantic.’ 

 

‘What about your first time? Was it also funny?’ 

 

Yena paused to think a bit. 

 

‘Uhhh… if I’m being honest with you, I genuinely can’t remember my first time.’ 

 

‘Were you drunk?’ 

 

‘Maybe?’ Yena said, ‘I just don’t know cause I’ve uhhh… I’ve had… relations… with many people… like a lot… which you, uh, already know.’ 

 

Yuri just laughed. ‘I see.’ 

 

Yena bit her lip. 

 

‘And you’re okay with that? That I’ve had a lot of ual partners before?’ she said after a few moments. 

 

‘Why would I not be okay with it?’ Yuri said. ‘Plus, it means you’re experienced, which is what I need cause I have no clue what to do.’

 

Yena smiled, relaxing a little bit. ‘Don’t worry. I’ll take care of everything.’

 

Yuri couldn’t help but notice that Yena’s smile was also adorable.

 

‘For now, let’s eat!’ Yena clapped her hands. ‘And if you have any questions that you want to know about me then don’t be afraid to ask.’

 

‘Like what kind of questions?’

 

‘Anything.’ Yena said. ‘Favourite color? Favourite music genre? Do I have siblings? Any weird uncles? You already know my first kiss story so that’s out of the picture. But go crazy with the questions.’ 

 

‘I feel like this is a speed date.’

 

‘And it will be the best speed date you’ve ever had.’ Yena grinned. She pulled her chopsticks apart. ‘Now, eat up before the food gets cold.’ 

 

…………………..

 

Conversation with Yena seemed to flow naturally. They started with mundane things like the questions Yena had listed and Yuri learned quickly that Yena liked the color orange, she liked ballads and kpop, had an older brother and only one weird uncle that she hasn’t seen since she was 16 years old. 

 

Eventually, the mundane things started to turn into a full on conversation about how there is no such thing as music being ‘better’ than the other and that some classical musicians tended to look down on pop songs for being too basic. Yuri’s view was that symphonies and pop songs shouldn’t be compared because they’re made for different purposes. Yuri was shocked when Yena seemed to understand what Yuri was talking about, piping in with interesting comments on music composition and their aims. Usually when Yuri would go full music nerd, Chaeryeong and Minjoo would just nod and smile, but Yena seemed to know a lot about music for someone studying business. 

 

‘I want to go into the music business.’ Yena admitted. By then, the food had been long gone and the two were just lounging around the suitcase. They didn’t know it but they had been talking for more than an hour. 

 

‘Why music business, specifically?’ Yuri said.

 

Yena thought for a little bit. 

 

‘I want to help artists reach their dreams in their own unique way. Some people make such beautiful art but are constrained by greedy people in power. I want to help real artists to be able to share their music to the world. Musicians have a lot to say, it’s just getting people to hear it.’ 

 

. Yena was looking more and more attractive to Yuri by the minute. 

 

‘Sorry, too philosophical?’ Yena chuckled when she heard Yuri didn’t say anything. 

 

‘No, not at all! I think what you said was beautiful.’ Yuri said. ‘I was just thinking that there was no way I could’ve known that about you without you telling me now. Getting to know each other was a good idea.’ 

 

‘Do I seem different to my first impression?’ 

 

‘Not different, I just feel like I know you more. Which is the purpose of getting to know someone.’

 

Yuri could see that Yena had a lot of depth to her. 

 

‘I’m curious, what was your first impression of me?’ Yuri laughed. 

 

‘First impression?’ Yena brought one hand up to her cheek, scratching it slightly while she thought. 

 

It was a couple moments before Yena finally answered. 

 

‘I thought your voice was pretty.’ 

 

Yuri smiled shyly at that. She had expected Yena to comment on how forward she was with her request. To be honest, she half expected Yena to say she was scared of her. 

 

‘What about me?’ Yena said. 

 

‘Can I be honest?’ Yuri scratched her head awkwardly. 

 

Yena nodded. 

 

‘My first impression of you I was kind of confused.’ Yuri admitted. ‘I was sure I had gotten the wrong girl. I thought to myself, is this really her?’ 

 

‘Was I that ugly?’ 

 

‘No!’ Yuri said, her eyes widening and her hands shaking to prove the point. ‘I just thought you looked really cute. I couldn’t imagine you as someone who’s really good in bed.’ 

 

Yuri’s cheeks blushed a little at the last sentence, which definitely didn’t go past Yena unnoticed. 

 

‘Cute, huh?’ 

 

Yena leaned in, eyes never leaving Yuri’s. Her kind eyes suddenly turned suggestive as she stared the other girl down. 

 

‘What about now? What do you think of me?’ Yena said, her voice lower than before. 

 

Yuri couldn’t help the small smirk that came onto her face. Yena’s charm was starting to show and Yuri loved it. 

 

Yuri shrugged, teasingly. 

 

‘You’re okay.’ Yuri said, quirking her eyebrow slightly with sass.

 

‘Just okay?’ Yena said, playing along with Yuri. ‘I guess I’ll just have to do better, don’t I?’ 

 

Yuri hummed. 

 

‘For starters,’ Yuri reached over to tug slightly at Yena’s flannel, her voice lowering like Yena’s had done beforehand, ‘I think I’d like this off.’ 

 

It was the first time Yuri had seen signs of Yena being flustered. Yuri almost missed the way her eyes widened just for a split second. But even if she did miss it, the subtle pink glow on Yena’s cheeks seemed to say everything. 

 

‘You’re full of surprises, aren’t you?’ Yena chuckled slightly to herself. ‘So, does that mean you still want me to—‘

 

‘Please.’ Yuri said without letting Yena finish her sentence, desperation laced onto her voice. 

 

A small smile made its way onto Yena’s lips. She wasn’t doing anything insanely hot or y, it was actually a genuine smile, kind and endearing, but for some reason to Yuri, it looked incredibly attractive on her. 

 

Yena stood up, extending her hand out for Yuri to take. She helped Yuri up, her other hand holding onto Yuri’s waist, pulling her closer so that their bodies were touching. 

 

Yuri couldn’t help but feel incredibly safe around Yena. Maybe it was the way Yena was delicately tucking Yuri’s hair behind her ear. 

 

Maybe it was Yena’s eyes. They were so soft and kind while staring into Yuri’s, it made Yuri feel something deep in her stomach, she just couldn’t quite put her finger on what the feeling was. But it was there. 

 

‘Get on the bed, Jo Yuri.’ 

 

The single sentence sent a shiver down Yuri’s spine. 

 

Suddenly, the air in the room started to feel thick, the tension hardening between the two of them. Yuri couldn’t see it, but she could feel her own eyes darkening at the sentence. 

 

Yena’s voice was so commanding and so tantalising. It’s like she flipped a switch and became a completely new person.

 

Yuri wanted her so bad. 

 

Yuri obeyed Yena, proceeding to lay down onto the bed. Yena followed her, crawling on top of her to hover dangerously close to her face. 

 

Yena’s soft eyes had darkened alongside the lust growing between the two of them. And yet, Yuri still felt safe while trapped underneath her. 

 

Their eyes never left each other and Yuri could feel Yena’s hot breath against her lips. One of Yena’s hands made its way to cup the side of Yuri’s face, her thumb tracing Yuri’s jaw as if she were studying an art piece. 

 

And then, Yena did something Yuri did not expect. 

 

When Yena leaned forward to plant her lips onto hers, Yuri was ready for a deep and sensual kiss. Maybe a rough and needy kiss. But not this. 

 

Instead, Yena had planted the softest and most feather light kiss onto Yuri’s lips. 

 

It was a short kiss, and when Yena pulled away Yuri still had her eyes closed, trying to pinpoint what she was feeling at the moment. 

 

The weird feeling in her stomach was back. The one she had gotten when Yena was holding her by the waist. 

 

It wasn’t until Yena spoke when Yuri realised what the feeling was.

 

‘Tell me if you’re uncomfortable or you change your mind, okay?’ Yena said. ‘Tell me if you want me to stop.’ 

 

Yuri opened her eyes to see Yena’s caring eyes staring straight back at her. 

 

Special. The way Yena was treating her made her feel like she was the most special girl in the world. Like she was a princess or a precious art work in a museum. Yena was handling her with so much care and all it did was make Yuri want her even more. 

 

‘I want you to me.’ Yuri begged. ‘Please, Yena.’ 

 

Yena smiled at her, the same smile from before and she leaned forward to plant a kiss along Yuri’s jaw, making her way down to start kissing her neck. 

 

‘Anything for you, Yuri.’ 

 

…………………

 

‘So??’ 

 

‘So what?’ 

 

‘Are you and Choi Yena planning on sleeping together again?’ 

 

It was a couple weeks later and Chaeryeong and Yuri were lounging around in a nearby park, munching on their sandwiches while watching people run around the field. 

 

‘We haven’t talked since the first time.’ Yuri said. ‘The last thing I heard from her was a text she sent me the next day asking if I was okay and not sore or anything.’ 

 

‘Fair enough.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Also, can I ask a favor?’ 

 

‘If it involves squeezing any strange pimple, forget it.’

 

‘No!’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Bold of you to assume I get breakouts. My skin is perfect, Yuri.’ 

 

‘Okay.’ 

 

‘There’s a basketball game for the uni team tonight, I’d ask Minjoo but she and Kriesha are on their monthly sister outing. So, can you please go with me, instead?’ 

 

‘Wait, you? Watching basketball?’ 

 

‘It’s the girls team.’ 

 

‘Oh. Now that makes sense.’ 

 

Yuri REALLY doesn’t want to go but Chaeryeong promises to treat her to food after. Perhaps it’s not really that bad of an idea. 

 

………….

 

Scratch that. It’s a bad idea.

 

Turns out, the only reason why Chaeryeong wanted to go was because her unofficial boo, AKA Shin Ryujin, was a player on the team. If Yuri knew she was going to be third wheeling she would have not gone. 

 

Especially since the game was starting soon and Chaeryeong was nowhere to be found. Ever since she told Yuri that Ryujin wanted to see her quickly (to which Chaeryeong and Yuri knew was code for: pre-game makeout session), Chaeryeong had not come back. 

 

Yuri was texting Chaeryeong when she felt a tap on her shoulder. 

 

‘Is this seat free?’ 

 

Yuri whipped her head up at the familiar voice.

 

‘Yena?’

 

In those past couple weeks, Yuri realised she had forgotten just how cute Yena’s grin was. 

 

She knew it was cute, but wow, her memory couldn’t do that soft smile justice. 

 

‘Well, well, well. I didn’t expect to see you here.’ Yena said. ‘I totally didn’t peg you-’ 

 

Her sentence was interrupted by a slight squeak escaping her lips as she slipped slightly on her way to Yuri. 

 

Yeah. Yuri had no idea HOW she would have forgotten just how absolutely adorable Choi Yena was. The only time she’s heard a squeak like that was when her younger sister, Nako, accidentally stepped on their dog Gamja’s paw. 

 

‘You fell for me, huh?’ Yuri chuckled as Yena brought a hand to her chest, probably to calm her beating heart. 

 

Yena shot Yuri a look. 

 

‘I almost died and you’re over here cracking a joke.’ 

 

Yuri just laughed and patted the empty seat next to her. She concluded Chaeryeong could just sit on her other side. 

 

(She chose to ignore how ironic it was that Yena had just said I totally didn’t peg you. Because she definitely did). 

 

‘You’re into sports?’ Yuri said while watching Yena take out a camera from the black bag around her neck. 

 

‘Nope, not into sports at all. Unless, dancing counts?’ Yena paused slightly as she mused the thought. Then she shook the camera slightly in her hands, fiddling with the lens. ‘My friend works for our college newsletter but she had a family emergency. She promised me she’ll pay for my drinks for an entire night if I covered for her.’ 

 

Yuri nodded. She’d do the same if someone offered to pay for her drinks. 

 

‘I mean, I would’ve covered for her, anyways but she offered free drinks! Gotta take what I can get, you know what I’m saying?’ 

 

‘I mean she offered.’ Yuri said in the same light tone as Yena had prior. ‘What are you going to do? Refuse?’ 

 

Yena just grinned at that. She leaned over to brush her own shoulder over Yuri’s in a soft, playful nudge. ‘You get me.’ 

 

Even though they hadn’t seen each other in awhile, conversation still seemed to flow naturally between the two. 

 

They continued chatting away, keeping the mood light and playful just like that. Almost as if the two had been best friends for years. Even though they hadn’t seen each other in awhile, conversation still seemed to flow naturally between the two. 

 

Chaeryeong had come back a few moments before the players ran out to the court, her hair slightly more disheveled compared to when she had left the bleachers. Yuri caught her eye, shaking her head at the girl. 

 

Chaeryeong was going to sit by Yuri when she noticed Yena sitting next to her. After shooting Yuri a knowing look, she opted to sit on the bench near the court which consisted of Jeon Heejin, Choi Jisu, Yeh Shuhua and Kim Doyeon. Or more popularly known as The Girlfriend Bench. The four couldn’t help but smirk slightly at the newest addition. 

 

Throughout the game, Yena and Yuri were mostly focused on each other, asking the other if they knew what was going on. They both high fived each other whenever they were able to correctly call a foul. Everytime the crowd around them would stand up and cheer, Yena and Yuri would join in, even if they didn’t know what was going on. Yuri couldn’t help but smile proudly at Yena every time they did, as if they were laughing at the weird inside joke that they had. Sometimes, Yuri would bombard the pictures Yena would try to take, making weird faces or throwing peace signs up on the camera. 

 

Finally, the game ended, with their team winning and everyone stood up to start cheering. However, Yena and Yuri were mostly cheering because they were free from watching the game. 

 

‘Well, that was fun.‘ Yuri said while the crowd started to disperse. 

 

‘At least we can go now, this gym feels so stuffy.‘ Yena said, grabbing the collar of her shirt and fanning herself. Yuri couldn’t help but gulp when Yena rolled her head in a circle, exposing her jawline. 

 

‘Yeah, I can‘t go that easily.‘ Yuri pulled herself to look away from her jaw. ‘Chaeryeong‘s my ride. She’s the reason I’m here.‘

 

Yena bit her lip. 

 

‘I can drive you home.‘ Yena said. 

 

As tempting as the offer was, Yuri‘s stomach was growling. 

 

‘Thank you.‘ Yuri said. ‘But Chaeryeong is my free dinner ticket. She said she‘ll pay for my food tonight if I came to the game with her. I may have to awkwardly third wheel, but at least I get food.‘

 

In Yuri’s mind, it was always: food > girls. No matter how cute Yena was. 

 

‘What if I treat you to dinner instead?‘ Yena said. ‘Or I can come and be the fourth wheel?’ She paused to mentally count the girls on the bench. ‘Or, twelfth?‘

 

‘I like the latter idea better, actually. Only because I don’t want you paying for my dinner again. I still owe you from two weeks ago.‘ 

 

‘Do you really owe me, though?‘ Yena smirked at Yuri. ‘From what I recall, you definitely repaid me later that night.‘ 

 

Yuri just smacked Yena on the shoulder to try and draw attention away from her reddening cheeks. 

 

‘Shut it.‘ Yuri whined. ‘Let’s just go ask them what we're eating for dinner.‘ 

 

When Yena and Yuri made it to the girlfriend bench, the basketball team started to pile out of the changerooms, excitedly walking to their girlfriends with smiles on their faces. 

 

‘Do you need a boost?‘ Shuhua teased towards her significantly smaller friend, Yoojung, who seemed to be having trouble reaching her taller girlfriend‘s cheeks. 

 

‘Shuhua.‘ Soojin, Shuhua’s girlfriend, warned when she proceeded to get on all fours to become a step for Yoojung. Shuhua instantly stood down, Yoojung and Doyeon teasing her for being whipped. 

 

Meanwhile, Jisu was babying Yeji, scratching her underneath the chin and cooing at her for doing such a good job in the game.

 

Yuri shook her head. She had no idea how she would be able to survive sitting with the cringey couples. At least she‘d have Ryujin and Chaeryeong to sort of keep her sane. And she remembered Heejin and Hyunjin were pretty cool, too. 

 

But when she turned to her side and saw Heejin and Hyunjin’s PDA and Ryujin cutely wrapping her letterman jacket around Chaeryeong‘s shoulders, Yuri shook her head. 

 

‘Actually, I think it‘ll be better for my sanity if the two of us just got dinner on our own.‘ Yuri turned back to Yena. 

 

‘What? Can‘t handle couples doing couply things?‘ Yena chuckled. She started to make kissy faces at Yuri. ‘If they all start making out I can kiss you so you don’t feel left out.‘ 

 

Yuri pushed Yena away with a laugh. ‘Creep.‘ 

 

‘Hey, Yena, would you like to join us for dinner? We‘re getting pizza.‘ Chaeryeong said. ‘Ryujin’s treat.‘ 

 

Ryujin raised an eyebrow at her last words. 

 

‘Actually, Yena and I are going to head off early.‘ Yuri said. ‘But, you guys have fun!‘ 

 

‘Oooh. I see.‘ Chaeryeong side-eyed Ryujin with a smirk. ‘I think they want to sleep together again.‘ 

 

The last sentence she had tried to whisper towards Ryujin but of course Yuri’s musician ears caught it. And apparently so did Yena‘s because her eyes widened too, but then it turned into a smirk as she winked playfully at Chaeryeong. 

 

‘You shut your mouth, Lee Chaeryeong.’ Yuri shot Chaeryeong a warning glare.

 

Yuri shot a glance at Yena who only seemed to be chuckling happily on the side (and staring straight at Yuri with her cute, soft Yena eyes). 

 

‘I expect you to bring Yuri back to the dorms in one piece tonight.’ Chaeryeong tried to intimidate Yena which was funny to Yuri because she looked like a cute kitten trying to be vicious. Surprisingly though, Yena seemed to gulp a little at Chaeryeong’s stern look.

 

‘Will do.’ Yena snapped her fingers, shooting a quick finger gun at Chaeryeong. 

 

Yuri just rolled her eyes, turning on her heel while giving Chaeryeong a wave.

 

‘Bye, guys.’ 

 

Yuri thought she was safe while they were already walking away. Until Chaeryeong called out to them. 

 

‘I hope you know that by dorms, I mean your dorm, Yena! Not mine and Yuri‘s.‘

 

Yuri smacked herself on the face. 

 

‘Just ignore her.‘ Yuri said to Yena, while throwing her middle finger up at Chaeryeong. 

 

Yena just chuckled but thankfully didn’t say anything. 

 

At least until they made it inside Yena‘s car. 

 

‘I mean, I don‘t see what’s so bad about taking you back to mine.‘ Yena smirked. ‘Unless last time was that bad?‘

 

Yuri turned to see Yena staring at her, one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the joystick. Yuri had to admit she looked kind of attractive doing it, especially with her cap on backwards. 

 

‘I don’t know.‘ Yuri teased while Yena started to reverse out of the parking spot. Yuri didn’t know much about driving, but she knew that Yena did not have to go through the effort of placing her hand over Yuri’s chair just to back up. ‘I can‘t seem to remember.‘ 

 

Yena moved her joystick out of reverse, raising her eyebrow up at Yuri. 

 

‘Maybe you can jog my memory later?‘

 

Yena smirked. 

 

‘Like I said before, anything for you, Jo Yuri.’ 


 

————


 

The next morning, Yuri had woken up to the sound of her phone ringing on the bedside table that definitely did not belong to her. She groaned a little, stretching to her phone as to not leave from the arm that was warmly wrapped around her torso. 

 

She sighed when she saw how early it was in the morning. And early to Yuri meant 10 am in the morning. 

 

Beside her, Yena stirred slightly too, her grip on Yuri’s waist tightening a little while she nuzzled her face more into the back of Yuri’s neck. 

 

Yuri blushed slightly as she recalled the events of the night before. 

 

‘Hello?‘ Yuri groggily answered her phone, trying to push away thoughts of sleeping again with Yena away from her head. 

 

‘I’m sorry, Yuri, did I wake you up?‘ said the girl on the other end of the phone line. 

 

‘A little. But it‘s fine.‘ Yuri said. ‘What’s up?‘

 

‘Just checking you’re still on to volunteer at the classroom today?‘ 

 

Yuri‘s eyes widened and she sat up at lightning speed, startling the other girl in the bed with her. 

 

‘.’ 

 

And that was how she found herself in Yena’s car again, however this time, she was gripping the grab handle so tight that her knuckles were white. 

 

Yena was a pretty good and safe driver, but since Yuri was running late, it was like she was driving in Fast and Furious. Honestly, Yuri should be fearing her life at the moment. But, then again, she was more scared of what Eunbi would do if she was late to her kindergarten class. 

 

Eunbi was a good friend of Yuri’s, she was Yuri’s choir director when she wasn’t teaching kindergarten. Eunbi couldn’t deny Yuri’s musical talent and would occasionally ask Yuri to come help out in her class to teach music class with the children. Paid, of course. Which Yuri was thankful for. How else could she buy bubble tea? 

 

Though Eunbi was a saint, she was terrifying when she was mad, which was why Yuri refused to be late. Thankfully, Yena could sense the fear in Yuri’s eyes when she begged her to step on it. 

 

And thankfully, the two of them made it to the school in perfect condition, with 2 minutes to spare. 

 

‘Thank you, Yena!’ Yuri clapped her hands when Yena came to a screeching halt in the front door. ‘I’ll see you later!’

 

Then she hastily leaned over…

 

...and kissed Yena’s cheek. 

 

It was such a small gesture, kissing Yena’s cheek, and it shouldn’t have been a big deal because last night she kissed other places of Yena that are way more scandalous. 

 

But that’s what was so shocking about the kiss. The innocence of it. The kind of kiss you’d give to someone you genuinely cared about. The kind of kiss that felt like it’s the most natural thing to do upon saying goodbye. 

 

It wasn’t until she was running up the stairs of the school when she realised what she had just done. 

 

Yuri pinched the bridge of her nose. 

 

I just kissed her, didn’t I? 

 

As she walked the hallways of the school, she bit her lip. What if she had messed up? The two of them were sleeping together, platonically, as friends. What if Yuri had overstepped her boundaries. What if she made Yena feel uncomfortable? Now that she thought about it, was it okay that they slept together again last night? 

 

Yuri tried to shake the thoughts away to the back of her head while she played with the children, putting on her act of taking care of children. 

 

…………

 

It wasn’t until 20 minutes later when the thought came back to her head. 

 

In Yuri’s defence, the cause of her worrying was currently standing outside the classroom with a brown paper bag in her hands. 

 

‘Hey.’ Yena said, a smile on her face. ‘I got you a bagel, since you didn’t have breakfast.’ 

 

Yuri peered into the bag. 

 

‘I got you a different one from last time. This one’s my other favourite one.’ 

 

The first time Yena and Yuri had slept together, Yena had woken up a little earlier than Yuri had and had her favorite bagels delivered to their dorm. It was a sweet gesture which had Yuri touched at Yena’s thoughtfulness (again). 

 

Though, it didn’t exactly start that way as when Yena closed the door to go downstairs and grab the bagels, she had woken up Yuri in the process. Yuri had instantly thought that Yena was ditching her. Safe to say, Yena returned to her dorm room to a teary eyed Yuri, who suddenly felt stupid for thinking Yena would do such a thing to her. Yena didn’t seem too fazed. Honestly, she found teary eyed Yuri a little bit cute and she couldn’t resist the urge to ruffle her hair and pinch her cheeks upon seeing her. 

 

In a way, the same thing had happened again, where Yuri thought one thing about Yena, but then the girl proved her expectations wrong. Because here she was, bringing her breakfast even after all of the favors she had done for Yuri. 

 

Yuri didn’t even know what she did to deserve all this niceness from Yena, the third year must have just been a really good person. 

 

‘Thank you so much, Yena.’ Yuri hugged the bagels to her chest, a smile on her face. 

 

‘No, problem.’ Yena said. ‘I’ll let you get back to your teaching. What time do you finish so I can pick you up?’ 

 

‘You don’t have to.’ Yuri shook her head. ‘I can just take the bus home.’ 

 

Yena shushed her. ‘Just accept my offer, Yuri.’ 

 

Yuri sighed but then smiled shortly after. ‘I finish at 2.’ 

 

‘Great.’ Yena gave her a thumbs up. ‘See you then.’ 

 

As Yuri watched her go, she noticed something seemed different about Yena. Maybe it was the bounce in her step. Or the sparkle in her eye. Whatever it was brought a sense of relief to Yuri. She knew they would be okay. 

 

………..

 

(When Yena made it back to the car, she placed a hand on the part of her cheek that Yuri had kissed not so long ago. Then it made its way to her crazy beating heart. 

 

It was then that Yena knew she was screwed. 

 

She squeezed her eyes shut only to open them quickly when all she saw was Yuri’s smile). 

 

……….

 

It was weird to Yuri how quickly she and Yena became close. She has always been fairly introverted as well as shy and therefore it was harder for her to have many friends that she had drawn a deeper connection to. She had only grown closer to Chaeryeong and Minjoo because she found herself in situations where she would constantly be hanging out with them for long periods of time, whether it was pre-planned by them or just because circumstance brought it upon them. Also, Chaeryeong and Minjoo were quite similar to Yuri, in which they were fairly shy and preferred to stick to friends who were familiar. 

 

Realistically speaking, Yuri shouldn’t be too shocked by the deeper connection she had formed with Yena. The girl always seemed to be around. Sometimes it would be times where Yena would deliberately show up at Yuri’s door begging her to go to the arcade with her and other times Yuri would just actually stumble upon Yena. 

 

One time, she literally bumped into Yena while she was napping on the side of the university courtyard. Yuri had a very early start to her day because she and Chaeryeong made a deal with each other that they would start going to the gym more. (Granted, it was because Chaeryeong wanted to impress Ryujin even though she didn’t need to because let’s face it, Shin Ryujin was WHIPPED for her). Yena, on the other hand, had fallen asleep a mere hour before Yuri found her, because she had partied all night and passed out on her way to her dorm which Yuri later remembered was actually on the other side of her campus. 

 

Running into Yena that day was also how Yuri met all of Yena’s closest friends for the first time and they were every bit as extroverted as Yena was, perhaps a bit more intimidating. 

 

Son Yuqi was pretty scary, only because of the cheeky grin she had on her face when Yuri introduced herself. Not to mention how she just threw her arm around Yuri as if they had been best friends for years. Then there was Lee Yeoreum, who looked a little too angry at being woken up like this. The scariest thing though, was the fact that the three of them seemed to look like triplets. Yuri was terrified at the thought of three Yenas. 

 

(Though Yuri had relaxed a little when she noticed the way Yeoreum’s mouth quirked upwards when Yena sluggishly batted away Yuqi’s arm to hug Yuri’s waist and declare sleepily, ‘leave my favorite girl alone.’)

 

Yuri knew that she was comfortable with Yena because the older girl had her entire face snuggled into Yuri’s neck and she was clinging to her like her life depended on it, and yet Yuri was okay with it, more than Yuqi’s arm on her because let’s face it, they’ve been in much more intimate positions before. 

 

If Yuri had to be completely honest, she may or may not have been starting to develop a tiny crush on Yena. I mean, how could you not when she’d show up in front of your dorm with dinner in hand and the cutest and brightest smile ever. 

 

She also loved how Yena and her could talk about whatever, no matter how weird or embarrassing it seemed to be. 

 

Like STD’s, for example. 

 

‘Wait, I don’t mean to sound rude but you don’t happen to have like… you know. The stuff that’s transmitted through uh, ?’

 

‘An STD?’

 

Yuri nodded shyly into Yena’s neck. 

 

Yena and Yuri were cuddling in silence, the only sound that could be heard being the sounds of them trying to catch their breath. 

 

‘Don’t worry.’ Yena said, bringing a finger to draw circles onto Yuri’s . ‘I can assure you I don’t have any disease.’ 

 

Yuri hummed, satisfied with Yena’s answer. Mostly because she liked the feeling of Yena’s finger rubbing random shapes soothingly on her back. 

 

Something Yuri noticed about Yena was that she tended to find a way to fidget while she was deep in thought. 

 

Yena was quite the talker in the least overbearing way possible, but there were times when Yuri could tell she was thinking hard about things. Sometimes she’d randomly scratch her face, usually her cheek or jawline, other times she’d softly tap her fingers against her leg or a desk. 

 

Yuri’s second favorite Yena habit had to be when she’d be deep in thought while eating, and she’d aggressively chomp with slightly open. For most people, they’d probably find it kind of gross (and don’t get Yuri wrong she definitely did find it gross), but it was also kind of amusing to her. Perhaps even endearing. 

 

It’s crazy how much you’d learn about people when you spend a lot of time with them. 

 

And that’s how Yuri was able to tell that Yena was thinking hard about something at that very moment.

 

Yuri’s favorite Yena habit had to be how Yena would subconsciously draw random shapes on Yuri’s . The feeling of Yena’s finger slowly trailing up and down her skin was so soothing to Yuri and she’d instantly feel calm when Yena would do it. It was almost like a lullaby for touch. 

 

‘Did you discover a new scientific element?’ 

 

The finger tracing Yuri’s back halted, much to Yuri’s disappointment. 

 

‘Huh?’ 

 

Yuri planted a kiss into Yena’s collarbone, trailing it up to her neck and to her jawline. She hovered her face just above Yena’s, their noses grazing. 

 

‘I can see you’re thinking hard about something.’ Yuri said, before continuing her trail of kisses this time to the other side of Yena’s face and down the other side of her neck. ‘What did you discover?’

 

Yena had been awfully quiet for the past few minutes. Whatever she was thinking about, she was thinking about it very deeply. 

 

‘Just thinking about childhood memories.’ Yena voice was softer than it usually was. She laid her head back down onto her pillow while Yuri continued pampering kisses all over her. Yena knew what that meant. She wanted another round. 

 

Yena ran a finger over Yuri’s mole on her nose. 

 

‘Have you always had this mole?’ 

 

Yuri nodded. ‘Ever since I was little, I’ve had it. I always thought it was like a Harry Potter kind of scar thingy and that I was the chosen one.’ 

 

Yena leaned up to press a kiss on top of the mole.

 

‘I like it. It’s cute.’ Then she chuckled. ‘It’s like one big blackhead.’

 

Yuri just rolled her eyes with a sigh. ‘Were you also as annoying when you were a child?’ 

 

‘Maybe.’ Yena chuckled. Yuri shivered a little at the sensation of Yena running her hands through her hair. ‘I was never bullied so obviously I wasn’t annoying enough.’ 

 

‘Perhaps.’ Yuri said. ‘You get bullied a lot  now, though. I swear whenever I’m with you and your friends it’s just the Yena teasing festival.’ 

 

‘My friends are also just s.’ Yena let out a giggle into Yuri’s hair. 

 

‘And I think you deserve it.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena sat up quickly, an offended look on her face. But from the time Yuri spent with Yena she could tell that Yena was never truly upset. 

 

‘And to think that I was going to invite you to some super cool third year party.’ Yena said. 

 

‘Wait, seriously?’

 

Yena only hummed in response. 

 

‘But, I guess since you’re so rude to me, I might not.’ Yena mused, turning her head to gaze dramatically at the wall to the right. 

 

‘I’m terribly sorry.’ Yuri played along. 

 

‘You should be.’ Yena faked a sniffle. ‘I’m very upset.’ 

 

Yuri placed her hands on either side of Yena, hovering above her to lower her head dangerously close to her face. 

 

‘Let me make it up to you, then.’ 

 

Safe to say, Yena was done being fake upset. 

 

————


 

‘You’ve never been this excited about a party before.’ 

 

‘It’s only because Choi Yena invited her to the party.’ 

 

‘Shush.’ Yuri furrowed her eyebrows while applying her lipstick. 

 

‘You shush.’ Chaeyeong shot right back. ‘Do I have to remind you how you have spent every three days hanging out with that girl willingly. Your introverted could never want to do that especially with someone so extroverted.’ 

 

‘You’re right about that.’ Yuri smacked her newly painted lips in the mirror. ‘But in my defence most of the time it’s not planned, sometimes she’ll just happen to show up wherever I go. One time I went to the convenience store at night cause I was feeling restless and she was there too! Also feeling restless. So, of course I’d hang out with her.’ 

 

‘Wait. That’s really cute. It’s like fate wants you to be together.’ Minjoo said. 

 

Chaeryeong scrunched up her nose at Minjoo. 

 

‘Don’t you make that face at me, Chaeryeong.’ Minjoo pouted.

 

Chaeryeong put her hands up in defence. ‘I’m just trying to stop you before you go on a ramble about the soulmate mumbo-jumbo again.’ 

 

‘Soulmates are a real thing, okay?’ Minjoo crossed her arms in defence. ‘You’ll know when you find yours.’ 

 

‘And have you found yours already, Kim Minjoo?’ 

 

Minjoo deflated. ‘No.’ 

 

‘And you still believe in it?’ 

 

‘Of course.’ Minjoo said, with a sense of pride, standing up a little straighter, as if she was ready to go to battle. 

 

‘There’s no harm in believing in it.’ Yuri finally piped in. ‘Let the poor girl believe in what she wants to believe.’ 

 

Chaeryeong sighed. ‘You believe in it, too?’ 

 

Yuri shook her head. ‘Nope. Not at all.’ 

 

‘Thank, God.’ Chaeryeong said as to which Minjoo pouted and deflated once again. 

 

‘I’m just saying, Yena and Yuri could be soulmates.’ Minjoo said. ‘When are you going to ask her out? I’m tired of you being single.’ 

 

Yuri just smirked to herself, causing Chaeryeong and Minjoo to exchange a glance at each other. 

 

‘I can get a girlfriend, if I wanted to. Unlike you, Miss Kim “I’m everyone’s first love but I’m busy waiting for the girl who doesn’t even know that I exist” Minjoo.’ Yuri shot back. 

 

‘Kim Chaewon knows I exist!’ Minjoo said. 

 

‘Chaeyeon said she’s coming tonight. You should go to talk to her, then, if she knows about your existence.’ Chaeryeong nudged Minjoo in the ribs. 

 

At those words, Minjoo’s entire face went bright red. 

 

Yuri just went back to applying the finishing touches to her makeup while Chaeryeong started to incessantly tease Minjoo. Honestly, she was happy for the shift in the focus of the conversation. It gave her more time to go over her plan in her head. 

 

‘It’s going to happen tonight.’ Yuri murmured to her reflection. ‘You can do this.’ 

 

She clapped her hands and turned to her friends. 

 

‘Alright. I’ve got something to tell you.’ 

 

……………….

 

It would be the biggest lie if one were to say that Choi Yena was not head over heels for a certain Jo Yuri. 

 

It would also be a lie if Yena were to say she had no clue how it happened. Because she did know. 

 

She knew the moment she first kissed her that this girl was different. 

 

Yena’s has never been this nervous about being with a girl before. Yet there she was in front of a certain Jo Yuri and her heart started to race along with the adrenaline shaking her body. She spent the entire week afterwards mulling it over, trying to figure out what exactly was different about this girl.

 

Yena has slept with many girls before. That wasn’t a lie. All types. She’s even slept with exchange students from America even though she only knew two phrases in English. Jo Yuri wasn’t anything special, or was she?

 

‘Maybe it’s cause it’s the first time you did it sober?’ Yuqi suggested one afternoon while the three friends were making their way to their marketing class. 

 

‘No, I’ve had booty calls sober before.’ Yena said. 

 

‘Didn’t you say were nervous because it’s her first time?’ Yeoreum piped in.

 

Yena shook her head, ‘I thought that too, but then I remember I’ve taken other girls’ first times before.’ 

 

‘When you were drunk, though.’ Yeoreum said, ‘but have you ever taken a girls’ first time while sober? Either than Yuri.’ 

 

Yena pouted her lips in thought. Yeoreum did have a point there. 

 

‘Yeah. That must have been it.’ Yena said, nodding satisfactorily. 

 

Oh, but how it wasn’t it. 

 

Yena had discovered something. 

 

A couple weeks later and Yena found herself sitting in her car in front of an elementary school, heart racing because of a stupid little peck on the cheek. 

 

‘Crap.’ Yena said to herself after her heart calmed down a little more. ‘I think I like her.’ 

 

When she realised she was in love with her? That was a different story. 

 

Realising she was in love with Jo Yuri was a gradual thing. As in, all of their late night talks at the convenience store, and the time they spent almost 20,000 won trying to win a yo-yo that turned out not to work, and times when Yuri would tease Yena by waving her food in front of her face, not being able to anticipate that Yena would it, and Yena’s heart thumping when they’re cuddling in bed, Yuri’s head buried into the side of Yena’s neck and her arm draped across her bare chest and just everything she did with Yuri all started piling together until she had reached a tipping point. 

 

Yena had been laying in bed, staring up at Yuri’s face when she noticed that Yuri had a cute mole on her nose. Yena had no idea why she had never noticed it before. But when she did… 

 

Yena knew then and there that the stars were aligning and that she was in love with Jo Yuri. 

 

Yena also knew that Yuri had no idea of her feelings for her. 

 

It was blatantly obvious, the way Yuri would accidentally reject her advances, not knowing Yena was subtly asking her out. 

 

(‘You don’t think that girl is cute? Are you blind, Choi Yena?’

 

‘I said she’s not my type, I never said she wasn’t cute.’ 

 

‘Well, she’s definitely my type.’ 

 

‘Well, am I your type, too, Jo Yuri? Because, you’re mine.’ 

 

‘Okay, greasy. Go eat your icecream before it melts.’ 

 

‘I’m being serious!’ 

 

‘And I can ride a unicycle!’) 

 

To be fair, Yena is a very friendly person so she could understand why Yuri could never take her seriously when it came to things like that. The amount of times Yuri had to witness a clingy Yena peppering Yuqi with kisses whenever she was feeling down were too many to count. Yeoreum, on the other hand, hated kisses so Yena just resorted to letting the girl fake bite her arm whenever they were teasing each other.

 

So, she could understand how Yuri could just view Yena as a friend because she was so comfortable with just about everyone and always acted in a way you’d only act with people you were very close to.

 

But, Yena was determined to change that. She will change that tonight, at the party. 

 

‘It’s gonna happen, tonight.’ Yena gave herself a kiss in the mirror after applying her lip gloss. 

 

……………………

 

Oh, how Choi Yena was right, just not in the way she thought it would be.

 

…………………… 

 

‘Hey, Chaeryeong, where did Yuri go?’ 

 

The party was well and truly underway, everybody starting to get sloppy and hazy in the thick air of the dormitory game room. Yena had just finished smashing a few people at beer pong, therefore, she wouldn’t be surprised if she was the most sober person in that room. Which was saying a lot about the people around her. 

 

When Yuri first arrived, she wasn’t smashed per say, but she was definitely more than tipsy. Maybe a bit more buzzed than Yena was who was already halfway through her second bottle of soju. 

 

They had hung around each other for the first hour or so teetering on the lines of clingy and shy distancing. At least, Yena was. 

 

It was when Yena started to play beer pong when Yuri had wandered away, brushing her lips over Yena’s ears to let her know that she’s going to explore a little bit.

 

Yena had found Chaeryeong about an hour later, dancing with Minjoo and some other girls they had met that night. But to her disappointment, Yuri was not around them. 

 

‘Oh? Why if it isn’t Miss Choi Yena!’ 

 

Chaeryeong was pink cheeked with a red solo cup in her hand, her giggle abruptly halting when she felt Yena’s hand on her shoulder. 

 

‘You know, Choi Yena?’ Chaeryeong slurred. ‘You’ve been brightening up my friend these past few weeks. She finally gets her outta bed!’ 

 

Yena couldn’t help but smile at the thought. 

 

‘Well, she gets her outta bed just for you to push her back into it.’ Chaeryeong snorted, her cup shaking slightly in her hand. 

 

Yena just shook her head, chuckling to herself. 

 

‘You know, Yuri and I hang out a lot without having .’ Yena said, filling up Chaeryeong’s now empty red cup with the contents of her bottle.

 

Yena watched as Chaeryeong eyed it ever so curiously before taking a sip of it. 

 

Chaeryeong’s face scrunched up in disgust. 

 

‘What is this stuff?’ Chaeryeong eyed the incriminating liquid in her hand. 

 

‘Water.’ Yena said, bringing one hand up to steady Chaeryeong. She glanced towards Minjoo who had been quietly listening to their conversation from the side, her cheeks equally as red as Chaeryeong’s and legs equally as wobbly. ‘Do me a favour and you two, stay with each other, okay?’ 

 

‘Aye aye, unnie.’ Minjoo smiled, her dimples popping up. There was something about that girl that was always so pure. 

 

‘Where are you gonna go?’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

‘I’m going to find Yuri.’ 

 

Yena almost missed it, but Chaeryeong and Minjoo both shot each other a glance after Yena spoke. 

 

‘What’s wrong?’ Yena said. ‘Is something wrong with Yuri?’ 

 

‘Nothing!’ Minjoo replied a little too quickly as to which Chaeryeong shot her a look. 

 

‘Yena, you like Yuri, right?’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Yena was taken aback, to say the least. She knew that Chaeryeong knew she liked Yuri and she’s been used to her teasing, but never has Chaeryeong asked her to outright confirm it. It was always Chaeryeong teasing but never pushing Yena to answer. 

 

Chaeryeong shook her head slightly. 

 

‘Anyways, she’s fine. I don’t know exactly where she went but tell me if you find her.’ Chaeryeong offered Yena an encouraging smile. 

 

Yena opened to say something, then closed it again. 

 

‘You two.’ Yena pointed to them. ‘Stay by each other’s sides. I mean it.’ 

 

Yena turned around to weave her way through the crowd, all the while feeling their two pairs of eyes watching her intently. 

 

…………………………

 

‘Well well well, if it isn’t my friend, Jo Yuri.’ Minjoo mused from the desk while watching a cautious Yuri trying to quietly close the creaking door. Yuri cursed inwardly when she realised that Minjoo had slept in their dorm. That girl always woke up early, it would’ve been impossible to sneak in. 

 

‘Why are you awake?’ Yuri groaned. ‘It’s 10am.’ 

 

Minjoo cocked her head to the side in genuine confusion. ‘I’m normally awake by 9, you know that.’ 

 

‘Yes and honestly? That’s not normal.’ Yuri countered. She pointed to the mound snoring under the covers. The mound that was her friend Lee Chaeryeong. ‘Now that’s normal.’ 

 

Minjoo just waved her hand submissively. ‘She had a wild night, she’s definitely going to want hangover food.’ 

 

‘Me too.’ Yuri held her empty stomach. ‘I really want a hash brown.’ 

 

She and Minjoo paused when her stomach growled, then they both giggled. 

 

‘Maybe, I want more than one hash brown.’ 

 

Minjoo just shook her head. Yuri was always hungry. Minjoo had no clue how Yuri was able to eat breakfast. Minjoo herself enjoyed a nice cup of tea in the morning, food never went down her stomach properly in the morning. Yuri, for some reason, was able to eat just as much as she would eat for lunch during breakfast time. 

 

Maybe that’s why the way to Yuri’s heart was by feeding her without her asking you, too. 

 

‘She didn’t feed you this morning? You always seem to get hungry after… you know… doing that.’ 

 

Yuri didn’t miss the way Minjoo glanced at the hickey on Yuri’s neck, one eyebrow raised. Yuri pursed her lips, her hand making her way to place her hair on top of the mark near her jaw. 

 

‘No,’ Yuri cleared , ‘she had somewhere to go.’ 

 

‘Ah.’ Minjoo mused to herself. ‘Well… I’m off to my work shift!’ 

 

Yuri could only watch her go with a shake of her head. Kim Minjoo was too pure and too good for this world. Nobody was like her. How in the world could she go to work the morning after a party? 

 

When the door closed, Yuri turned around to stare at her empty bed. Then her eyes landed on Chaeryeong sleeping soundly. 

 

She touched the hickey at her neck. Then she sighed and carefully climbed under the covers with Chaeryeong, snuggling into her. Chaeryeong was snoring straight into her ear but Yuri didn’t mind.

 

Anything for cuddles. Yuri couldn’t survive without cuddling. 

 

She was feeling deprived of them that morning, anyways. 

 

………………………….

 

‘Jo Yuri!’ 

 

The bright voice awoke Yuri out of her daydreaming state. Though she was walking and was completely conscious, she was a little bit dazed from how tired she was from her lecture. The entire time it seemed that all the words went through one ear and out the other. Honestly, Yuri was just a tiny bit tired that morning. At least she had only one class. 

 

‘Yah, Yuri, are you there?’ A hand waved in front of her face. 

 

Yuri snapped her gaze her to meet the smiling face of Choi Yena, one black cap placed backwards atop her head. 

 

If Yena’s bright voice wasn’t enough to awaken Yuri from her daze, her sparkling eyes would do the trick. 

 

Ever since the party, Yena had been extra happy whenever Yuri saw her. Don’t get Yuri wrong, she wasn’t complaining because happy Yena always made for a happy Yuri, it was just a little strange to Yuri. 

 

‘Sorry, I’m still a little half asleep.’ Yuri said, rubbing at her eyes. 

 

She almost didn’t notice Yena taking her bag from her and slinging it over her own shoulder. 

 

‘Do you have any plans today?’ Yena said, absentmindedly slipping her free hand to entwine with Yuri’s.

 

On top of Yena being extra happy, she had also been incredibly clingy. As in, Yuri felt she had no personal space whenever she was around Yena. The girl would always be physically close, trying to have any sort of physical contact that she can. Sometimes it would be an arm slung around her shoulder while they strolled through the park, other times it would be Yena’s knee brushing alongside Yuri’s while the two of them sat in the cafeteria between classes. 

 

‘I want to sleep.’ Yuri deadpanned. 

 

‘Boo, sleep.’ Yena said, swinging their entwined hands slightly. 

 

Then she turned to Yuri, a grin on her face. (But to be honest, her face had been doing that the entire time.) 

 

‘Let’s go on another date, today.’ 

 

Yuri pouted. 

 

‘I’m so tired.’ Yuri whined, ‘plus, we already hung out like two days ago.’ 

 

‘Then we can have a napping date.’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri mused it over. The word ‘nap’ spun around in her head. It was a very appealing word to her. 

 

‘I can see you smiling.’ Yena said, poking at Yuri’s cheek. ‘You like the idea?’

 

‘I like napping.’ Yuri said. 

 

‘Great! Then let’s do it.’ Yena said. ‘But first, let’s make a pit stop at the waffle place in town.’

 

‘Ughhh,’ Yuri whined, ‘I thought we’re napping?’ 

 

Yena took their entwined hands to pat at her stomach. ‘On an empty belly? There’s no way.’ 

 

‘Fine.’ Yuri said. ‘But, I will nap afterwards, with or without you.’ 

 

Yena just hummed satisfactorily and squeezed Yuri’s hand. 

 

Yuri glanced at Yena’s content smile inquisitively. Yena has indeed been acting strange lately. 

 

And no, sadly, Yuri did not end up getting that nap until later in the afternoon when Yena had to go to class. 

 

………………..


 

It had been more than a week since the waffle outing that definitely wasn’t Yuri’s precious nap time. At first, Yuri thought Yena was just in a good mood in general, some people had those weeks where they were on cloud 9 that eventually dwindled away. However, it seemed that Yena’s phase was not going away any time soon. 

 

Happy Yena is always good, Yuri would never complain about that. But clingy Yena was starting to get a little too overbearing for Yuri’s taste. 

 

Chaeryeong, Minjoo and Ryujin were getting suspicious. Hell, even Kim Chaewon! And she had only been hanging around them very very recently and had only met Yena twice for both very brief moments. 

 

It might have been the fact that recently, Yena was kissing Yuri a little bit more. Like, not the kisses from their make out sessions (which had surprisingly dropped to a zero ever since the night of the party) but just innocent kisses. It started as little air kisses that Yuri returned with a grin, besides, it was something she, Chaeryeong and Minjoo did whenever they would tease each other. Then, it escalated to the hand, in which Yena would take their entwined hands whenever they were out shopping and plant a small kiss onto the back of it. It eventually escalated to cautious kisses on the shoulder whenever Yena was back hugging Yuri. 

 

Just recently, it reached Yuri’s temple. 

 

It was in front of Yuri’s friends, too. 

 

Yuri’s friendship group had now grown to become Chaeryeong, Minjoo and Ryujin. Ryujin had started getting closer with Yuri and Minjoo ever since Chaeryeong and Ryujin made it official. Yuri actually really liked Ryujin, she was shockingly just as introverted as the rest of them. 

 

In fact, Chaeryeong was the most outspoken out of the four of them. 

 

Which was why Yuri was shocked when Ryujin suddenly asked her one day if she and Yena were dating. It was straightforward and blurted out, and judging by Ryujin’s expression it seemed as though she didn’t mean for it to slip out. 

 

‘W-what?’ 

 

‘I’m sorry, I’m just curious. You guys seemed extra close lately, that’s all.’ Ryujin said. 

 

‘Like really really close.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘I swear Yena is just an extension of you at this point.’ 

 

‘No.’ Yuri said. ‘Yena and I are not dating.’ 

 

‘Are you sure?’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Yuri nodded. ‘Yes, I’m sure.’ 

 

There was a silence for awhile and Yuri thought that was the end of the conversation, until Minjoo spoke up. 

 

‘Is Yena sure?’ 

 

Yuri bit her lip. Honestly, she didn’t know the answer to that question. Or rather, she did know the answer, she just didn’t want to acknowledge it. 

 

Thankfully, the three didn’t seem to want to push Yuri for answers, probably because everyone knew the answer.

 

‘Just make sure you don’t lead her on or anything.’ Minjoo said. ‘She’s a nice person.’

 

‘I know.’ Yuri said. ‘I won’t. Besides, we don’t know if we’re overreading this situation or not, Yena is a very clingy person in general, I’ve seen her with Yuqi and Yeoreum.’ 

 

Minjoo, Chaeryeong and Ryujin nodded. 

 

‘Anyways, I’m gonna go meet up with my friend.’ Yuri changed the subject with a forced smile. She waved at the three. ‘See you guys, later.’ 

 

………………….

 

‘Miss Kang Hyewon.’ Yena slid into the seat, throwing one arm around her friend. ‘I didn’t expect to be seeing you here.’

 

‘Why are you surprised?’ Hyewon said. ‘It’s just the mall.’ 

 

‘It’s cause I’ve been needing to talk to you about something.’ Yena said, stealing a fry off of Hyewon’s plate, to which the girl gave her a slight glare. ‘I genuinely didn’t expect to see you here, I was just buying some succulents for my dorm cause it’s getting kinda boring in there. But, here you are. How convenient.’ 

 

‘What’s up?’ Hyewon said.

 

Yena paused slightly. 

 

‘I don’t know.’ She said after a while. 

 

Hyewon just stared at her, a blank expression on her face. After a couple moments she just shrugged.

 

‘Okay.’ She said, then returned to scrolling through her phone. 

 

Yena just peered at her phone, blatantly watching what was on her screen. Usually, Hyewon would be annoyed but she knew Yena was just like that. 

 

They had a pretty weird dynamic, to be honest. The two of them wouldn’t consider themselves close friends, yet they seemed to understand each other more than the average acquaintances would. Which was weird because they were also quite the opposite of each other. 

 

‘We should play games together again, Yuqi and Yeoreum .’ Yena said. She nudged Hyewon’s shoulder. ‘Can we play now?’ 

 

Hyewon lazily lifted her eyes to meet Yena’s. 

 

‘I’m meeting someone. Maybe later.’ Hyewon said. 

 

‘Ask your friend to play too, then!’ Yena said. 

 

Hyewon went silent while Yena tried to read her expression. Then it clicked. 

 

‘Oh, are you waiting for a date?’ Yena said, looking around the mall. Then she checked Hyewon’s expression again, which had remained unchanged and Yena realised with a grin, ‘Oh, I’m intruding on one of your hook-ups, aren’t I?’ 

 

Let’s just say that Yena wasn’t the only girl in their year that’s well-known for her skills. 

 

Hyewon’s expression changed just slightly enough for Yena to know she had hit the mark. It was just a subtle curl of her lip but Yena saw it. 

 

‘I tell my little sister that they’re exercise partners, bless her sweet soul.’ 

 

Yena scrunched up her nose at the strange term. Maybe that’s why they sort of clicked and understood each other, they were both as unpredictable as they came. They were the opposites that seemed to compliment each other. 

 

‘Hyewon!’ A voice called from behind. 

 

Hyewon turned to the voice, sending the person a slight wave as she stood up from the bench she was sitting on. 

 

Yena, however, sat frozen next to her, refusing to turn around. 

 

‘Were you waiting long?’ The person said in a normal tone now that they were closer to Hyewon. 

 

‘No, I wasn’t.’ Hyewon replied. ‘It’s okay, I was just talking to Yena.’ 

 

At the mention of her name, Yena stood up to face the two, trying her hardest to fake a smile. 

 

When they locked eyes Yena noticed the person’s slightly shocked expression upon seeing Yena there. 

 

‘Hi, Yuri.’ 

 

Yuri’s mouth was slightly hanging open but she quickly shook herself out of her daze to reply. 

 

‘Yena! I didn’t know you and Hyewon were friends.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena and Hyewon exchanged a look. 

 

‘Yeah, we don’t really get to hang out much, I guess. Most of the time we just play video games together.’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri just nodded awkwardly. 

 

Yena coughed slightly. 

 

‘Anyways, just message me about whatever it was that you needed to talk about tonight.’ Hyewon turned her attention towards Yena. 

 

Yena turned her body so that she could avoid looking at Yuri. 

 

‘It’s nothing too important, really. I just thought that you, me and Sakura should have a Mario Kart competition some day.’ 

 

Hyewon gave her a thumbs up. 

 

‘Well, I’ll head off now.’ Yena awkwardly started to back away. ‘See you later and have… um… fun, I guess?’ 

 

‘Will do.’ Hyewon waved. 

 

Yena willed herself to glance briefly at Yuri who seemed to be staring at the floor, before turning around and making a beeline for the nearest escalator. 

 

It was only when she had stepped foot on it when she had the strength to turn around and cast one last look at the two. 

 

She continued staring at Yuri’s smiling face until she could no longer see it anymore. 

 

She felt stupid for feeling hurt by all this. She felt stupid because she KNEW about it beforehand, and yet it still had such an effect on her. 

 

…………………..

 

Flashback: the night of the party

 

Yena had only been weaving her way through the crowd to find Yuri for only a few moments before a hand had grabbed at her wrist. She turned around to see Chaeryeong and Minjoo. 

 

‘Actually, there’s something we need to talk to you about regarding Yuri.’ Chaeryeong said. 

 

Yena was puzzled, but nodded and let Chaeryeong and Minjoo lead her outside of the stuffy and noisy room. 

 

‘It’s nothing bad, don’t worry.’ Chaeryeong reassured Yena the moment they sat down on the bench. The feeling of the fresh air was nice but it sent a chill down Yena’s spine. ‘I mean, on Yuri’s end.’ 

 

‘She’s not hurt or anything?’ 

 

Minjoo shook her head. 

 

‘No, but…’ Minjoo trailed off. 

 

‘But?’ Yena’s heart started to race a little. 

 

‘Yuri’s not hurt but…’ Chaeryeong. sat down next to Yena, ‘... you might be.’ 

 

‘What are you talking about?’ Yena said. 

 

Minjoo sighed. 

 

‘I’ve known Yuri for a long time, and before I say anything I just want you to know that there is absolutely no way Yuri doesn’t have even the slightest bit of feelings for you.’ 

 

Yena raised an eyebrow but nodded to let Minjoo know she was listening. 

 

‘It’s just that,’ Minjoo fiddled slightly with her ear, ‘in High School, Yuri’s kinda been… well… I wouldn’t say in love? More like… enamoured?’ 

 

‘Puppy dog crush.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Obsessive puppy dog crush was how you put it to me.’ 

 

‘Right. That.’ Minjoo said. ‘And honestly I thought she was well and truly over it by now! Especially with how she’s been acting around you these past few weeks but then she told us something today that kinda shocked Chaeryeong and I completely.’ 

 

The air went silent while Minjoo and Chaeryeong exchanged a look. Yena didn’t know what to expect. 

 

‘She told us that… she’s been… well the reason why she wanted to lose her ity… like the REAL reason is because…’ 

 

‘... well, she wanted to sleep with the person she’s been in love with-‘ 

 

‘Obsessive puppy dog crush.’ 

 

‘Right. Obsessive puppy dog crushing on since High School.’ 

 

‘I see.’ Yena said. She noticed Chaeryeong and Minjoo trying to read her expression. ‘And, is she? Like, right now?’ 

 

‘Yeah… she texted us saying she’s going back to her dorm room with her.’ 

 

‘Ah.’ Yena pursed her lips. ‘And, who exactly is this her?’ 

 

‘Do you know Kang Hyewon?’ 

 

‘Ah.’ Yena repeated. ‘Of course, it’s her.’ 

 

Kang Hyewon was one of Yena’s (many) good friends since first year of university. 

 

The two couldn’t have been more different and yet, they just seemed to click in some weird way. Like they were on the same wavelength vibewise even though everything else about them was completely opposite. 

 

Kang Hyewon was a mystery. Yena was an open book. Kang Hyewon was secretive about her love and affection while Yena always made sure to let people know she liked them. They were even doing seemingly opposite majors. Yena, the business major specialising in marketing and learning to build relationships with people. Kang Hyewon, the mathematician who studied independently and worked independently with minimal contact with people whatsoever. 

 

And if Yuri liked girls like Kang Hyewon? Then what chance would Yena have of Yuri liking her, too? 

 

‘Unnie.’ Minjoo’s voice broke her out of her thoughts. ‘If you’re comparing yourself to her, don’t. Remember what I said? Yuri definitely has feelings for you. She acts different with you than she does with me and Chaeryeong. With anyone, if I’m being honest.’ 

 

‘Yeah.’ Chaeryeong said. ‘Look, you have our support. I really think you should shoot your shot with Yuri.’ 

 

Minjoo just nodded enthusiastically. ‘I’m telling you, you two could be soulmates.’ 

 

‘Not the soulmate mumbo jumbo again.’ Chaeryeong groaned. She placed a hand on Yena’s shoulder. ‘Please tell me you don’t believe in that stuff. I’m begging you.’ 

 

Yena just chuckled. 

 

‘Nah. I don’t really believe in soulmates.’

 

That was 100% a lie. 

 

Yena made a promise with herself that starting from tomorrow, she’ll make sure Yuri can feel just how in love Yena was with her. 

 

Anything to get her soulmate to fall in love with her, too. 

 

……………………...

 

Present time: 

 

It wasn’t until Yena made it back to her car when she finally let a tear slip out. She felt it slide down her cheek and drop onto her shaking hands. 

 

She had tried everything to make Yuri see. Yes, maybe she went a little overboard with all the kisses but it’s not Yena’s fault, she just wanted to make Yuri feel loved. Good morning texts, good night texts, random messages going along the lines of ‘I miss you’ but in a way that didn’t feel cheesy. 

 

And yet, Yuri still chose Hyewon. 

 

Yena had done everything she could’ve but why did it feel like she had missed her chance with Yuri. 

 

………………………

 

Maybe if she had just been brave and told her she loved her then things might have been different.

 

……………………..


 

For the next couple of weeks, something seemed off to Yuri. 

 

She was going about her normal college routine, going to all her classes, studying, wandering at night to the convenience store to grab supplies, staying hours in the music room writing and jamming away or just laying in bed and watching whatever comes up onto her laptop. Nothing really had changed. 

 

At least, her schedule hadn’t really changed, but the presence of the person that seemed to always hijack her schedule was gone. 

 

Yuri stared at the sparse memes Yena had texted her every few days or so. It’s not like Yena seemed to be avoiding her, she still would text Yuri first, albeit mostly just funny things she saw on her timeline. But, she seemed to not be encountering Yena as much as she used to. 

 

Also, Yena stopped her constant nagging of getting Yuri to hang out. Though every now and again Yena would make offhand comments like we should totally do this together! She just never followed through with the planning. Usually Yena would be the one to make all the plans and Yuri would just happily oblige. 

 

Perhaps Yena was just busy. But mid-sem exams just finished recently. 

 

Yuri had also been feeling a little cold lately. Maybe it was because winter was beginning but she had a suspicion it was something to do with the absence of clingy Yena and her warm skin. 

 

Thankfully, before Yuri could take too long mulling in her thoughts, she got a text from her parents. 


 

From: Mom 

Hi love 

Make sure you print out your train ticket for tomorrow


 

That brought a smile to her face. 

 

Chuseok was coming up, one of Yuri’s favourite times of year because it meant that she could go home to see her family. 

 

For the past couple years, Yuri hasn’t been able to visit them frequently. She had transferred from Busan to Seoul halfway through High School because she had earned a scholarship at Hanlim High School for music. Actually, she applied as a pianist at first, with voice being her secondary instrument since let’s face it, Yuri’s guitar playing was not audition worthy. Later she found out that they were going to reject her based on just her piano playing, but they actually gave her the scholarship because of her voice. Since then, Yuri has been studying in Seoul, only being able to visit her family in between school breaks. 

 

Most of all, she missed her baby sisters so much. 

 

Well, Wonyoung wasn’t really a baby anymore, but she would still be a baby in Yuri’s eyes forever and ever. Wonyoung was only 3 years younger and every time Yuri came home to visit, Wonyoung seemed to get taller and taller. She was a very sweet kid with a little bit of attitude but what could you expect from a kid going through puberty? 

 

Nako, though, was still a baby. Nako is 4 years old and was adopted by her family when she was just a baby. Yuri’s parents were still very young and were still eager to have more kids, but her mom just couldn’t get pregnant. After years of trying, they gave up hope of having a baby. At least, until they stumbled across the orphanage one day. They had instantly fallen in love with Nako. Hence, why Yuri’s baby sister was 15 years apart from her and was a full blooded Japanese. 


 

To: Mom 

 

I can’t wait to see you all!

I really miss you guys



 

Yuri pocketed her phone and smiled to herself. She was in a very very good mood now. 

 

‘Jo Yuri!’ A low and raspy voice called out her name. 

 

Yuri was shocked, she hadn’t heard that voice in a long time. 

 

Turning to see the person jogging towards her, Yuri let out a smile.

 

‘Hi, Yuqi.’ Yuri said. She was definitely less awkward with the girl after seeing her a few more times. She’s even hung out with her on some occasions. That didn’t mean Yuri still felt a bit shy around the extrovert. 

 

‘I have a question.’ Yuqi said. ‘Do you by any chance have plans for Chuseok?’ 

 

‘Chuseok?’ Yuri cocked her head to the side. ‘Yeah, my mom just texted me right now, actually. I’m taking the train home to Busan.’ 

 

‘Oh.’ Yuqi seemed a little disappointed. 

 

‘Why are you asking?’ Yuri said. 

 

Yuqi just shook her head. ‘Nothing, nothing. I’m just trying to find someone else who’s staying in the dorms for Chuseok, but everyone seems to be leaving.’

 

‘Someone else? Are you staying?’ 

 

‘Oh, no, it’s not me.’ Yuqi said. ‘I’m actually going to China for the weekend.’

 

Sometimes Yuri forgot that Yuqi was an international student. Her Korean was way too good. 

 

‘It’s Yena.’ Yuqi said. ‘Her parents are overseas at the moment and her brother is currently doing his enlistment.’

 

Yuri’s heart dropped for Yena. She knew how lonely Yena got and how much she adored her family. 

 

‘Anyways, have fun with your family! I gotta go, I was just on my way to the student office. You know, student loans and stuff.’ Yuqi said, waving at Yuri. 

 

‘Nice seeing you.’ Yuri waved back. She watched her as Yuqi walked away in the direction of the administration buildings.

 

Once Yuqi had disappeared, Yuri opened up her phone, her finger hovering over Yena’s contact. 

 

Then she shook her head, deciding not to call her.

 

……………..

 

Yena was laying in her bed with a box of pizza by her side and a random foreign movie playing on her laptop. She had honestly been in this position all day. Perhaps even the last two weeks when Yuqi and Yeoreum weren’t dragging her out to get bbq. 

 

She took the strings of her hoodie and pulled it so that her head was cocooned into the hood. 

 

That was when a knock sounded on the door. 

 

Yena rolled out of bed, offering a ‘coming!’ to the visitor while trying to hastily wipe at the grease stains in her hoodie. 

 

She opened the door only to be hit with a strange sense of dejavu. 

 

‘Yuri!’ 

 

Yuri always made Yena’s heart race, but something about not seeing her for two weeks really hit her harder. It was like seeing her face after a long time sent a boulder straight towards her chest, knocking her clean off her feet. 

 

‘Hey.’ Yuri said. 

 

‘Hi.’ 

 

Yuri scratched the back of her head. ‘Um…’

 

Yena just chuckled at her. 

 

‘So uh, how are you? How were your exams?’ 

 

‘They were good.’ Yena said. ‘How were yours?’ 

 

‘Good.’ 

 

‘That’s good.’ 

 

A beat of awkward silence passed. Yuri swore this has never happened to them before. Maybe when they first met, but either than that, this was foreign land for the two. 

 

Yena coughed slightly. ‘How may I be of service?’ 

 

Yena stared at Yuri expectantly. Then Yuri opened . Yena didn’t know what she was expecting but definitely not this.

 

‘Go to Busan with me tomorrow.’ 

 

…………………….

 

Yena and Yuri found themselves on the train the next morning, getting ready for a two hour drive. They had taken an Uber to the train station so that Yena could leave her car on campus and the entire car ride they were silent, both opting to stare out the window and listen to their music.  

 

Yuri didn’t know what came over her. Yuri never was usually the one to initiate things with Yena first. Yuri just wasn’t really that type of person. Unless she was on a mission. Perhaps, she was on a mission. A mission to make Yena feel better during Chuseok. 

 

She wasn’t prepared for the awkwardness surrounding them. Whenever there was weird silence between them (and not the comfortable silence they’d often have) Yena would be the one who changes the mood. But, Yena was also opting to just listen to her music, one headphone in the ear that wasn’t next to Yuri.

 

It wasn’t until they were nearing their destination when Yuri decided to just it up and talk. 

 

‘So,’ Yuri cleared when she realised how coarse her voice was, ‘have you ever been to Busan before?’ 

 

Yena had jumped just the slightest bit at Yuri’s voice and Yuri couldn’t help the tiny smile gracing her lips. Choi Yena was one of the cutest girls ever. 

 

Yena looked at Yuri. 

 

‘No,’ Yena answered slowly and carefully, as if testing out the waters, seeing how Yuri would react. 

 

It was so strange to Yuri, seeing Yena acting this awkward and calculated. The only other times she had only seen her acting like that was when she was lying during Among Us.

 

‘But I really want to! Thank you again for inviting me. I really appreciate it.’ 

 

‘It’s no problem. I didn’t want you to be alone on Chuseok.’ Yuri said. ‘If you don’t mind me asking, where are your parents? Why are they overseas?’ 

 

‘My Mom’s closest uni friend’s daughter is having her wedding. Her friend really wanted Mom to come because Mom and Dad are her daughter’s godparents.’ 

 

‘That’s cute.’ Yuri smiled. ‘I hope me and my uni friends stay close for that long. I know Chaeryeong will have a killer speech.’ 

 

‘Planning your wedding already?’ Yena chuckled. 

 

Yuri just shook her head with a smile. ‘Nothing has been planned except that Chaeryeong is doing a speech and Minjoo’s speech is only allowed to be one page long. Besides, I don’t even have an ideal type yet to look for.’ 

 

‘My sources told me your type was Kang Hyewon all throughout High School.’ 

 

Yuri’s eyes widened. 

 

‘Who told you that?’ 

 

Yena just shrugged with a cheeky grin on her face. 

 

Yuri sighed. ‘It was Chaeryeong and Minjoo, wasn’t it? Nobody else knows but then, anyways.’ 

 

‘My lips are sealed.’ 

 

Yuri just rolled her eyes, crossing her arms with a huff. 

 

They were brought back to a silence again, this time not awkward like before. It was nice how easily one conversation could lead them back to their original selves. 

 

Yena’s finger fiddled with the fabric of her jeans, a question burning on her lips. 

 

‘Besides, I realised that Kang Hyewon isn’t really all my type after all.’ Yuri said. ‘At least anymore. Maybe it changed or something or I changed- I don’t know.’ 

 

Yena turned to look at Yuri, curiously. ‘Did something happen to you two?’ 

 

‘No- I mean, yeah we hung out and… stuff…’ Yuri’s face grew slightly red. ‘But I don’t know… I didn’t really get those feelings.’ 

 

‘What feelings?’ Yena said. Then she joked, ‘oh my God, is she not as good as people say she is??’ 

 

‘No, no she is.’ Yuri said. Then she paused her face growing red. ‘She definitely is.’ 

 

Yena suddenly regretted her joke. 

 

‘But, that’s kinda it. Like, everything about her is perfect and I can list down all the qualities I like about her like she’s super pretty, and charming, and she’s kind of mysterious but is actually super sweet and-‘ 

 

‘Do I have to listen to your essay on Kang Hyewon or do you have a point you’re trying to get across?’ Yena said jokingly though really she was trying to hide the slight hurt she was feeling. 

 

‘Right.’ Yuri said. ‘She’s all these good things but I just don’t feel the same way that I do whenever she looks at me like…’ 

 

Yena tilted her head a little in confusion, wondering why Yuri trailed off. 

 

Suddenly, Yuri lifted her head to look at Yena. 

 

It was Yena’s first time in ages really looking into Yuri’s eyes and it’s just as pretty as she remembered them to be. Yuri’s eyes were always so expressive to Yena and she adored looking at them. 

 

But this time it felt different. 

 

This time was the first time it felt like Yuri was looking at Yena too. As in, really looking at her. 

 

‘Whenever she looks at you like what?’ Yena’s voice was softer than usual, just louder than a whisper. 

 

Yuri didn’t say anything, only staring at Yena as if she had discovered something new. 

 

‘You…’ Yuri’s voice came out like a flutter, almost as if it was gently slipping out of . A secret waiting to be discovered by the right person. ‘When you look at me, it’s…’

 

Yuri was in a daze, her eyes not leaving Yena’s who was patiently waiting for her to finish her sentence. Yuri shook her head slightly to clear her thoughts. 

 

‘No one looks at me the way you do.’ 

 

There’s a moment of silence between the two of them while Yuri’s words settled around them. It’s like they had floated around their heads flashing in front of Yena’s eyes before making their way into her ears and finally resting in her heart. 

 

It was unknown who had started to smile first between the two of them, but that was unimportant. What they did know was that they had never seen the other smile this brightly before. 

 

Yena was the first to break eye contact, opting to stare straight ahead but keeping a small smile on her face. Beside her, Yuri did the same. 

 

‘Do you like it? When I look at you like that?’ Yena said, her cheeks tinting slightly. 

 

‘Depends.’ 

 

‘On what?’ 

 

Yuri shrugged playfully. 

 

‘On whether or not you look at anyone else the same way.’ 

 

The train stopped and the conductor let them know that they had reached their destination. 

 

Yuri stretched when she got out onto the aisle, getting on her tippy toes to try and reach her luggage overhead. 

 

She felt a presence close behind her, one hand underneath the hand reaching for the suitcase, the other resting carefully on her hip.  

 

‘I think you should know,’ Yena’s lips brushed over Yuri’s ear, voice just above a whisper, ‘I only look at you, Jo Yurii.’ 

 

Yuri turned to see Yena’s face close to hers, who was staring back at her with the same shy smile. The Yena smile that Yuri liked so much. The special Yena smile that seemed to be reserved only for her. 

 

‘Then yes, I like it.’ 

 

Unfortunately, their moment wasn’t able to last as long as they wanted to because out the window Yuri caught sight of her family looking for her on the platform. 

 

Well, technically she only saw Wonyoung’s head poking above the crowd, the rest of her family were probably hidden amidst the mob of other families.

 

‘It’s Wonyoungie!’ Yuri exclaimed suddenly, leaving Yena suddenly to take care of the rest of their luggage. Yena fumbled a little when Yuri let go of the bag they both were currently holding but was able to steady herself as Yuri ran to the window to wave frantically. 

 

A couple minutes later, Yuri was out of the train and racing towards Wonyoung and the rest of her family, who she finally saw through the crowd. 

 

‘Mom! Dad!’ Yuri exclaimed with arms outstretched as she jumped into their waiting arms. Their hug didn’t last as long as it could have because a tiny hand was tugging at Yuri’s jeans. 

 

‘Unnie!’ 

 

‘Nako!’ 

 

Yuri bent down to pick up the four-year-old and spin her around. After a couple of spins, Yuri put her back down, crouching to get to her level. 

 

‘Wow, you’re growing taller, Nako-chan!’ Yuri said, puffing a little because she didn’t expect Nako to be that heavy. Or maybe Yuri was just weak. Or both. 

 

Yuri straightened feeling a phone camera on her. Behind the screen, a pair of seemingly indifferent eyes were staring at her. 

 

‘Wonyoung, where’s my hug?’ Yuri said. 

 

Her younger sister slightly rolled her eyes at her comment but Yuri knew that Wonyoung was just as happy to see her from the way that she held on just that little bit tighter when she hugged her. 

 

‘Yuri-ah, did you not bring any luggage?’ Her mom suddenly asked. 

 

Yuri’s eyes widened. 

 

She turned around to see Yena dragging both their bags off the train. 

 

‘Oops!’ Yuri said. Jogging over to Yena and grabbing her own stuff off of her. ‘Sorry, I got excited.’ 

 

Yena just smiled fondly at her, not really caring too much about it. It was brief, but Yuri had unconsciously leaned in slightly when she smiled at Yena before turning back around and returning to her family. 

 

‘Guys, this is Yena, the one I was telling you about.’ Yuri said. 

 

Her parents bowed back to Yena who was already bowing politely. 

 

‘Thank you for letting me spend Chuseok with your family.’ Yena said. 

 

She was surprised when Yuri’s mom brought her into a hug. 

 

‘Of course! We didn’t want you alone during Chuseok.’ Yuri’s mom said. ‘You’re most definitely welcome to stay with us.’ 

 

‘Are you joining our family, too? Like Yujin-unnie?’ Nako’s small voice piped up. 

 

At her words Wonyoung’s eyes snapped up from her phone, her entire face going bright red. 

 

‘Wait… WHAT??’ 

 

Yuri’s mom pat Yuri’s shoulder. 

 

‘We have some things to catch you up on.’ 

 

…………………… 

 

‘Are you sure it’s okay that I join you to make songpyeon?’ 

 

Yena was lounging on Yuri’s bed, Yuri’s dog, Gamja, sniffing at the person that definitely wasn’t Yuri but was in Yuri’s designated spot. Yuri sat on the bed by Yena’s hip to give Gamja a decent pet using both her hands to smoosh both sides of the dog’s face. That earned a low growl from her dog who shook out of Yuri’s grip and moved to the other side of the room. 

 

‘Of course, you can join us.’ Yuri said. ‘Do you expect us to just lock you in my room while we’re all downstairs cooking?’ 

 

‘Yes, I want to spend some quality time with Gamja. Who was starting to warm up to me, thank you very much.’ 

 

‘You’d rather spend time with my dog than me?’ 

 

‘Are you jealous?’ Yena started leaning in closer, a cheeky sparkle in her eye. ‘If you are jealous, then yes, I do want to spend time with your dog more than you.’ 

 

Yuri narrowed her eyes. 

 

‘Fine. I’ll just go downstairs and hang out with Nako, at least she’s happy to be with me.’ Yuri stuck her tongue out at her. 

 

Yuri jumped off the bed with a huff, walking towards the door for dramatic effect. Suddenly, she felt a pair of hands on her waist. 

 

Yuri let out a squeal as Yena pulled her onto the bed, flipping them over so that Yuri was trapped underneath her. 

 

‘No you don’t.’ Yena said, pulling the covers over the two of them so Yuri couldn’t escape. 

 

Yuri’s laugh was boisterous. It came straight from her gut and echoed around the room as Yena rested her head on Yuri’s chest, cuddling into her the way Yuri usually cuddled into her. It was a change, usually Yena liked being the one holding the other person, but with Yuri they’d do anything and she’d love it just the same. 

 

Yuri’s laughter had died down by then and she had instinctively wrapped her arms around Yena. Yuri looked down at her when she saw Yena lifting her head and smiling at her. 

 

For the rest of the day after the train ride and when Yuri wasn’t excitedly chatting with her family, the two had been stealing glances and smiles at each other, finding ways to subtly brush each other’s skin. This was their first time actually having this much physical contact. It was like their moment on the train made both of them incredibly shy and nervous around each other. 

 

‘Real talk, though.’ Yuri said, when Yena returned her head to the same position on her chest. ‘It’s really fine for you to join us.’ 

 

Just then, Yena and Yuri heard a pair of tiny footsteps stomping up the stairs followed by a tiny voice echoing through the halls. 

 

‘Wonyoung unnie! Your girlfriend is here!’ 

 

Yuri could just imagine Wonyoung’s annoyed face at Nako’s high pitched voice screaming through the halls. 

 

‘S-she’s not my girlfriend!’ 

 

A pair of heavier footsteps started to make its way upstairs. 

 

‘Well, not yet, right?’ 

 

‘Shut up, Yujin!’ 

 

Yena and Yuri just lay in the bed listening to the whole debacle outside with a chuckle. 

 

‘Besides,’ Yuri said, ‘Yujin is joining us tonight, too.’ 

 

After letting her family know about the stuff she had been doing at university like grades, part-time job searching, classes and professors, Yuri demanded to hear the news about Wonyoung and Yujin. 

 

Wonyoung and Yujin had been childhood friends who grew apart in middle school and last Yuri had heard was that the two had a huge falling out before Yuri left to go to University. Their falling out was over a boy from their High School. Fair enough for people their age. But miraculously after the boy rejected them both for an upperclassman, Yujin started to develop feelings for Wonyoung who was (supposedly) not having it. Obviously that wasn’t true seeing how Wonyoung wasn’t complaining about Yujin joining them that evening to make songpyeon. Also, Wonyoung seemed to be constantly talking to her on Snapchat.

 

‘Come on,’ Yuri started to rub circles around Yena’s back, the way that Yena usually does to her, ‘help me give Yujin the big sister talk.’ 

 

‘Ooh, are we going to be scary and intimidating?’ Yena said. ‘I’m in. Mostly because you can’t be scary and intimidating.’ 

 

‘Yujin is harmless.’ Yuri said. ‘That tiny child is super easy to intimidate from what I remember.’ 

 

When Yuri opened the door and came face to face with a pair of square swimmer shoulders, she realised that Wonyoung wasn’t the only girl from Yuri’s hometown that had a huge growth spurt. 

 

Contrary to Wonyoung though, Yujin was still a softie, a gentle giant who was obviously nervous to see Wonyoung’s older sister. 

 

But that wasn’t the only surprise waiting for them. 

 

‘Unnie? What are you doing here?’ 

 

Everyone in the room would assume that Yujin was talking to Yuri. Besides, Yujin was quite familiar with the girl seeing that Wonyoung was her best friend when they were children. However, she wasn’t talking to Yuri. 

 

‘Wait, Yujin? As in, Ahn Yujin?’ 

 

Both Wonyoung and Yena turned their heads to look at Yena who was staring at Yujin with a puzzled look. 

 

‘You two know each other?’ Yuri raised an eyebrow. 

 

Yena nodded. 

 

‘What? How?’ Wonyoung asked. 

 

Yena and Yujin both exchanged glances, waiting to see if the other would answer. It seemed like both of them were waiting for the other person. 

 

‘Um…’ Yena said, ‘I’ll confess. I can’t really remember why I know you, sorry. But I do know who you are! For some reason.’ 

 

‘Oh good, I can’t remember why I know you either.’ Yujin let out a sigh of relief. 

 

Just then, Wonyoung felt a tug at her skirt. 

 

‘Wonyoung unnie.’ 

 

Everyone looked down at the tiny figure. 

 

‘Yes, Nako?’ 

 

‘Can we play princesses?’ Nako looked up sweetly at Wonyoung. 

 

Wonyoung sighed. ‘Nako-‘

 

‘Ooh! Yujin unnie will play princesses with you and your Wonyoung unnie!’ 

 

Yuri shivered when she saw the glare that Wonyoung sent Yujin. Her little sister got scary. 

 

‘Do we get to dress up?’ Yujin knelt down to Nako’s height, not feeling at all bothered by Wonyoung’s glare.

 

‘Yes! But I only have two crowns so only one other person can be the princess.’ 

 

‘Yujin, I don’t wanna play-‘ 

 

‘I think Wonyoung unnie should be the princess, what do you think, Nako-chan?’ 

 

Nako clapped her hands. ‘Yes! I’ll get the crowns!’ 

 

Everyone watched her tiny legs scurry away. 

 

‘I hate you.’ 

 

‘No you don’t. Princess.’ 

 

‘Shut up, Yujin!’ 

 

Yena and Yuri just giggled at their exchange. Oh, young love. So cute and innocent. 

 

‘Why are you two laughing?’ Wonyoung huffed. ‘Don’t think you’re getting out of playing princesses, too.’ 

 

Contrary to the two teens, Yena and Yuri were at that stage where they love playing princesses and entertaining children. 

 

‘Dibs being a knight!’ 

 

‘I wanna be a knight!’ 

 

…………………. 

 

‘Save us! The dragon is going to eat us!’ 

 

Said dragon was Gamja who was curled up on the couch and sleeping through their ruckus. How Gamja was able to sleep through them? Yuri had no idea. 

 

Us, consisted of Wonyoung and Nako the princesses who were in need of saving. 

 

Yujin had jumped at the opportunity and asked to be the prince that saves Wonyoung but Nako just put her hands on her hips and sternly scolded the tall girl, claiming that ‘princesses can save other princesses, too.’ 

 

Yena, on the other hand, kindly let Yuri be a knight and offered to be the other princess who saves Nako. 

 

‘Yena? What do we do?’ Yuri acted dramatically. 

 

Yena looked around the room, scanning the area. 

 

‘We must slay the dragon.’ Yena straightened up and stared dramatically into the distance. Yujin copied her stance. It was cute how Yujin had instantly warmed up to Yena. Wonyoung, too, seemed really fond of the girl. Yuri thought that it was just Yena’s charm. It was impossible not to like that girl. 

 

‘How are you going to slay the dragon?’ Nako said from her spot behind the couch. She and Wonyoung were trapped in the space between the couch and the wall. Nako was propped up on top of the couch, courtesy of Wonyoung. 

 

Yena shot Yuri a look. 

 

‘My knight has the power to control dragons.’ Yena said.

 

Yuri nodded. ‘Yes! Everybody, stand back. I will rid of this dragon! Once and for all!’ 

 

Yuri slowly made her way to Gamja who was still sleeping. She tiptoed closer, hoping that the dog won’t wake up. 

 

Suddenly, as Yuri was a hands reach away, one of Gamja’s eyes fluttered open, detecting Yuri’s movement. 

 

Yuri quickly scooped her arms around the poor dog, hugging it to her chest. Gamja didn’t really like being picked up, especially when he was being woken by a nap so naturally he started to growl a little bit in Yuri’s arms. 

 

‘Be careful, Yuri!’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri placed Gamja on the ground and watched as the dog ran away and out the room. 

 

‘Begone, dragon!’ Yuri exclaimed as the flash of white bolted away. 

 

‘You did it!’ Nako said. 

 

‘Now, we can save you!’ Yena said, making her way towards Nako and picking her tiny frame up. She spun Nako around in the air a couple times emitting squeals of joy from the little girl before setting her down carefully onto the floor. 

 

Yuri just watched the entire exchange, a fond smile on her face while she watched two of her most favourite people bonding together. 

 

‘Leave me alone, I know how to walk around a couch, Yujin.’ 

 

‘I’m your princess, let me save you, princess Wonyoung.’ 

 

‘Yeah!’ Nako said. ‘She needs to save you and then she needs to kiss you!’ 

 

Wonyoung and Yujin both froze. 

 

Yena and Yuri exchanged glances. This should be fun. 

 

‘Um, she can just save me and I’ll give her a hi-five!’ Wonyoung said, taking Yujin’s hand and forcing a hi-five onto it. 

 

Nako shook her head. ‘No.’ 

 

‘What about a fist bump?’ Wonyoung again took Yujin’s hand and moulded it into a fist before bringing her own fist onto it. 

 

‘Nope.’ Nako said. 

 

‘A hug?’

 

‘Nuh uh.’ Nako shook her head. She crossed her arms. ‘The story always has to end with a kiss.’

 

Yena watched Wonyoung and Yujin’s reddening faces. Both of them looked like they really didn’t want to be there. Yujin looked like she was regretting ever mentioning playing princesses. 

 

‘Nako-chan!’ Yena said. ‘I can do it!’ 

 

Nako’s face scrunched up. ‘Ew! I don’t want you to kiss me.’ 

 

Yena feigned hurt, placing a hand dramatically over her chest. 

 

‘Fine, then.’ Yena huffed. 

 

Then she grabbed Yuri’s arm and pulled her closer to place a kiss on her cheek. 

 

Nako gasped at the sight before breaking out into claps. Yena met Wonyoung and Yujin’s grateful eyes. 

 

Yuri, on the other hand, had been in a daze just watching the show unfolding before her. It was fun seeing the drama happening in front of her eyes. Suddenly, Yena had to involve her in the drama. 

 

And she loved it.

 

She had never felt this giddy over such a gesture from Yena. Yena has kissed her in so many places before. For goodness sake, they’ve even made out in places that most people wouldn’t have made out in and probably won’t ever! 

 

And Yena has definitely done more than just kiss her. 

 

It was the fact that it was an innocent cheek kiss, in front of half of her family. It was the fact that she had not been able to kiss Yena or be kissed by Yena recently. 

 

It was also due to Yuri’s newfound discovery of Yena’s true feelings. 

 

Perhaps it was mostly due to the déjà vu Yuri was having. But, the last time this had happened was the other around. It was like it was Yena’s turn to make Yuri realise her feelings for her. 

 

She snuck a glance at Yena who was smiling over at Wonyoung and Yujin who were nervously standing next to each other, no doubt feeling shy that Yena and Yuri could have been them. 

 

‘Come to the kitchen! Let’s start making the songpyeon, now.’ Yuri’s Dad broke her out of her daze. 

 

Yena snuck a glance at Yuri. ‘Come on, my knight.’ 

 

As the others vacated the room, Yuri stood frozen in place, trying to reorient herself on what happened. She could still feel her cheek burning.

 

(She placed a hand on the part of her cheek that Yena had kissed not so long ago. Then it made its way to her crazy beating heart. 

 

It was then that Yuri knew she was screwed. 

 

She squeezed her eyes shut only to open them quickly when all she saw was Yena’s smile).

 

When she made it into the kitchen, that same Yena smile was being sent directly at Yuri. And only Yuri. Yuri liked that a lot.

………………..

 

After making songpyeon with the family and Yena and Yujin, they bid their farewells to Nako who was up way past her bedtime. Wonyoung was discretely begging her parents to let Yujin stay over for the night. 

 

‘Yena.’ Yuri whispered to her while everyone was preoccupied by Wonyoung trying to subtly hint to Yujin that she wanted her to stay. 

 

‘Yuri.’ Yena returned in the same tone.

 

‘Remember my first kiss story?’ 

 

Yena nodded. 

 

‘The park where it happened is nearby.’ Yuri said.

 

‘Aww, cute.’ Yena said. ‘Let’s go on a late night playground date.’ 

 

Yuri’s face reddened. 

 

‘I- t-there’s something that… w-well I don’t know if I should actually... never mind forget I said anything.’ Yuri was talking at a mile per minute. 

 

Yena raised an eyebrow. 

 

‘Well, now that you brought it up I gotta know!’ Yena said. ‘You can’t just do that.’ 

 

‘But, it’s kind of embarrassing. It’s just a little… fantasy of mine.’ 

 

‘Fantasy?’ Yena chuckled. ‘You know I’ll never judge you, hit me.’ 

 

Yuri sighed. 

 

‘Well, I had my first kiss there, right?’ Yuri lowered her voice even more. ‘I just thought, wouldn’t it be funny if I… if I had there, too?’

 

Yena doesn’t know how Yuri does it but she never failed to surprise her. 

 

It was hard for Yena to hide her slightly shocked expression at the comment. Not in a bad way, it just caught her off guard.

 

‘I know, it’s a really weird fantasy and I’m not asking you to do it it’s just a random thought I just had right now like that’s why it’s a fantasy you know so that—‘ 

 

‘I say, let’s do it.’ 

 

Yuri halted her ramble, staring at Yena as if she had two heads. 

 

‘What? It’ll be fun.’ Yena said. ‘Besides, it’s been awhile and I don’t know how I feel about having with you while your 4 year-old sister is next door.’ 

 

‘But you’re fine in public at the playground?’ 

 

‘If we do it tomorrow night, yes. Everyone will be home because of Chuseok. Besides, if we go at like 2am I doubt there’ll be anyone awake to see us in the park, let alone be there.’ 

 

Yuri still looked unsure, only because she was trying to figure out if Yena was actually okay with it and she wasn’t just trying to make Yuri feel better. 

 

Yena seemed to notice this because she put her hand on Yuri’s knee in assurance. 

 

‘What my knight wants, I definitely want, too.’ 

 

…………….

 

‘Wonyoung just texted me saying that she knows we snuck out.’ 

 

It was the night after Chuseok and Yena had a really good time with Yuri’s family. She was really grateful because it felt like Yena was just part of the family. She seemed to fit in perfectly with them. Nako was obsessed with her cool new unnie who would piggy back her everywhere, pretending to be her royal steed. Wonyoung was quite fond of her, too, Yena’s bright energy reminded her a lot of Yujin’s. Even Yuri’s parents loved her. She seemed to get along really well with her father especially. Probably because she was so close to her older brother and her own father, so she vibed well with men. 

 

Yena peeked over at Yuri’s phone to see that indeed Wonyoung had indeed texted Yuri at 2am in the morning just to say I know you snuck out but I won’t snitch because I love you <3. 

 

They both watched as the text bubbles started to move. 

 

Btw idk if ur trying to keep it a secret but it’s so obvious you and Yena unnie are dating 

 

Yuri’s eyes widened. 

 

She looked up to see if Yena had seen. Judging by the way Yena was chuckling to herself, she had definitely seen. 

 

wait you’re dating right? 

 

Yuri went to type back, thanks wonyo and yes followed by a shushing emoji when Yena’s voice interrupted her typing. 

 

‘Who said we were dating?’ 

 

Yuri’s finger froze while trying to find the shushing emoji. 

 

She looked up to see Yena looking at her with eyebrows raised. 

 

‘I don’t remember ever asking you to be my girlfriend?’ 

 

Yuri tried to ignore the way her heart flipped at Yena saying ‘my girlfriend.’ 

 

‘Huh?’ 

 

Then Yena smiled cheekily. 

 

‘I never asked.’ Yena said. ‘So, we’re not dating yet.’ 

 

Yuri huffed. ‘Fine, then. I’ll ask. Be my girlfriend, Yena.’ 

 

Yena shook her head. 

 

‘No, thank you.’ Yena said to Yuri’s surprise. She crossed her arms. ‘I want to be the one to ask you out, thank you very much.’ 

 

‘Then ask me out now!’ Yuri said. ‘You know I’ll say yes.’ 

 

Yena stopped walking to face Yuri. 

 

‘I know. I just want to get you back for making me wait for all this time.’ Yena said. ‘A girl has feelings, you know? It hurt seeing you sleeping with Hyewon after I kept trying to court you.’ 

 

Yuri’s cheeks grew red and she got on her tippy toes to plant a kiss onto Yena’s cheek. 

 

‘I’m sorry about that, by the way. Like I’m really sorry.’’ Yuri said. ‘I think I was just scared that someone actually liked me that much.’ 

 

Yena smiled softly, wrapping her arms around Yuri’s waist to pull her closer. She felt Yuri bury her head into her neck. 

 

‘I’m over it now.’ Yena said. 

 

‘I know.’ Yuri murmured into her neck. ‘But, fine, take all the time you need. Just not too much time. I really wanna be your girlfriend. Like right now. It’s killing me.’ 

 

‘That’s the point.’ Yena pulled away to wink at her. She reached down to entwine her fingers with Yuri. ‘Let’s go. You can still have with someone at the playground even if you’re not dating them.’ 

 

Yuri just rolled her eyes and led Yena to turn right. 

 

Yena furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

‘Isn’t the park the other way?’ 

 

Yuri looked between the streets. 

 

‘Oh, you’re right,’ she said after some deliberation. 

 

Yena just chuckled and led them to walk that way. 

 

They both walked in comfortable silence and after a few moments Yena had brought their entwined hands to start swinging lightly between. She glanced over at Yuri and leaned over to kiss her temple. She just couldn’t help herself. Yuri was too pretty. 

 

Yuri seemed to be having her daydreaming, most likely just mulling over what had happened during the day. Yena was used to Yuri doing that, it was one of her favourite things about Yuri. Maybe just below her obsession with Yuri’s mole. Though she had a fair reason for that obsession.

 

Suddenly, Yuri’s voice broke her out of her thoughts. 

 

‘Wait, how did you know which way the playground was?’ 

 

Yena stared out into the distance.

 

‘Um…’ 

 

Yuri stopped walking and Yena glanced at the fire hydrant coming up. They were so close to it. They just had to take a few more steps.

 

‘And also, how did you know Yujin?’ 

 

Yena scratched her head. 

 

‘Come to think of it, you knew where the supermarket was, too, when we went this morning after Charye.’ 

 

Yena just sighed. There was no point hiding it now. 

 

‘Okay, fine, you caught me.’ Yena said. ‘I lied to you.’ 

 

She turned to face Yuri. 

 

‘I have been to Busan before.’ 

 

Yuri’s mouth didn’t drop open like Yena expected it to, but she did furrow her eyebrows slightly. When she didn’t say anything, Yena decided to continue. 

 

‘When I was younger we’d travel here back and forth for months at a time because the company Dad worked at used to have an office here.’ Yena said. ‘That’s how I met Yujin, actually. Her Mom and my Dad were coworkers in the same sector. I used to play with her a lot when she was younger. She was super young though, that’s why she didn’t remember me fully, only my face and name.’ 

 

‘I see.’ Yuri said. 

 

Yena nodded. 

 

‘But, why would you lie about it?’ Yuri said. ‘I just don’t get it.’ 

 

Yena sighed again. 

 

‘There’s… something else.’ Yena said. ‘I’ve been keeping it from you.’ 

 

Yuri took the slightest step away from Yena and suddenly the moon was able to hit her just enough so Yena could see the details of her face. Her eyes were drawn to Yuri’s mole once more, trying to avoid looking at Yuri’s expressionless face. 

 

‘I don’t know how to start…’ Yena said, taking a deep breath to steady herself. ‘Do you believe in soulmates?’ 

 

Yuri shook her head as to which Yena chuckled to. 

 

‘I used to not believe in them. I was really against them until… I…’ Yena trailed off. ‘Yuri, I think we’re soulmates.’ 

 

Yuri just laughed. ‘That’s the big secret? What does that have to do with you not telling me you’ve been to Busan before?’ 

 

‘It’s cause…’ Yena started to say. Then she shook her head and grabbed Yuri’s hand. 

 

She pulled her towards the fire hydrant by the road. 

 

‘Ten years ago was the last time I had ever been the Busan.’ Yena said. ‘Dad was going to relocate to a new company so we came here for the last time to start packing up the house we were renting. After packing up the house, I stood right here to hang out with my friends.’ 

 

She gestured to the fire hydrant next to them. 

 

‘You have a very good memory.’ Yuri said. 

 

‘It’s one of my most precious ones.’ Yena said. ‘Because… this is where I found my soulmate.’ 

 

She took a deep breath. 

 

‘This is where I first met you, Yuri.’ 

 

Yuri froze. It was as if time had stopped as well as Yuri’s heart. She couldn’t tell if it was beating anymore. 

 

She tried to search Yena’s eyes, trying to read what was going on in her head, trying to see if Yena was joking or not. 

 

‘I don’t understand-‘ 

 

‘I never really remembered your face.’ Yena said. ‘The only thing I could remember was your mole. I remember staring at it, thinking it was really pretty and for years later it was the only image I could remember, save for the fire hydrant. Hell, I don’t even remember who my friends were!’ 

 

‘Yena, what are you trying to say?’ Yuri was still in shock. 

 

‘I’m saying I think we’re soulmates!’ 

 

A silence enveloped the two of them when Yena realised that her voice had risen a little bit. She wasn’t angry, just a little too excited. 

 

Yena steadied herself, lowering her voice a little. 

 

‘I think we’re soulmates because… I was your first kiss, Yuri.’ 

 

Time stopped for Yuri. 

 

She was taken back to years ago, when she was nine years old. 

 

She saw a flashback of catching Wonyoung at the bottom of the slide. She saw a flashback of a tiny Yujin with her mom by her side waving to her as she was walking away from the park. She saw the stray dog that had barked at her when she went to pet it, causing her to start running. She saw a scrawny looking boy and his friends, staring at her after colliding with another person. She saw a pair of lips coming towards her, planting themselves onto her own. 

 

Then she saw it.

 

Whenever she remembered her first kiss, the memory would stop at the kiss. She couldn’t even remember running home that day. Nor did she remember what had happened after the kiss. 

 

Until today. 

 

It was a brief flashback, just a split second. And she couldn’t picture it again after the image had flashed through her head. But she didn’t need to.

 

The brief flashback wasn’t enough to show Yuri what the person looked like, but it was enough for Yuri to see her eyes. 

 

She saw the way the person looked at her with shining eyes, the bridge of her nose wrinkling a little bit. They were brown and they were looking at her like she was the saviour of the earth. Of course, the girl was just grateful that she got to kiss her instead of the weird boy next to her. 

 

Those eyes, Yuri knew them all too well. 

 

It was a split second flashback that she probably will never get back. But that’s okay. 

 

Because those eyes were right there with her in the present. 

 

The eyes were there staring at her with the same sparkle, the same shade of brown and with the same look that made Yuri feel like she was the most special girl ever to walk the earth. 

 

‘Yuri, I didn’t tell you the truth until now because telling you meant that I had to tell you how I really felt.’ Yena said. 

 

She brought her hand up to tuck Yuri’s hair behind her ear. Yuri felt her face heating up, Yena’s finger leaving a burning trail against Yuri’s skin. 

 

‘I love you, Yuri.’ 

 

It was like Yuri could visually see the weight lifting off of Yena’s shoulders. 

 

‘Damn it, Yuri. You have no idea how in love with you I am.’ Yena said. ‘It’s overwhelming sometimes but I love it because I am so so so in love with you. I knew I loved you even before I realised I had kissed you ten years ago and I knew I loved you before I realised we were soulmates and… I love you, Yuri.’ 

 

Yena was always sure of what she wanted and Yuri could see that, but she has never ever seen Yena looking this certain about something. 

 

Yuri didn’t believe in soulmates before, but the way Yena sounded so sure made Yuri second guess soulmates for the first time. 

 

‘Say something, please.’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri was pondering. Soulmates aside, did Yuri love her too?

 

She took a look at Yena.

 

Who was she kidding? She was head over heels for Choi Yena, too. 

 

Yuri didn’t say anything, she just grabbed either side of Yena’s face and pulled her towards her, planting her lips onto the older girl with a huge smile. Yuri felt Yena’s hand grab her waist to steady both of them from the force of Yuri pulling them. 

 

Yena was kissing her back with the same intensity and Yuri could feel the pure joy bubbling up in her chest as she kissed Yena like there was no tomorrow.

 

‘I love you, too.’ Yuri was able to mumble in between their kisses. 

 

It was when Yuri’s tongue started to make its way into Yena’s mouth when Yena pulled away, red and breathless. 

 

‘I’m sorry for not telling you sooner.’ Yena said. 

 

Yuri just smoothened out Yena’s hair which had gotten messy from Yuri’s hands tangling themselves in it. 

 

‘It just means that we’re even now, doesn’t it?’ Yuri said, also panting and a smile still on her face. 

 

Yena grinned. 

 

‘So, ask me out already.’ Yuri said. ‘Please, I’m begging you.’ 

 

Yena just laughed and dived in to plant a soft kiss onto Yuri’s lips. 

 

‘I love you.’ Yena said. ‘Whether you want it or not I’m all yours. The stars have spoken.’ 

 

Yuri giggled and kissed Yena one more time.

 

‘I’m all yours, too.’ Yuri said. ‘And the stars have told me that I want you, too.’ 

 

Yuri’s mole once again was shining on Yena’s face and she felt like she was eleven-years-old all over again. She leaned in to kiss it. 

 

‘Please, be my girlfriend.’ 

 

‘Anything for you, Yena.’ ’ 

 

 

///////////////////////

 

A/N: Thanks everyone for reading! Hope you all enjoyed and if you want to, let me know in the comments your favourite parts/scenes! For me, it's the scene where Yena dropped Yuri off at the kindergarten and Yuri was in such a rush she kissed Yena's cheek without noticing. I think it's really cute because Yuri in this fic is the type of person who doesn't really talk about her feelings a lot, but you can tell from her instinctual habits whether you're special to her or not. In this case, it was obvious that Yena had become a special person in Yuri's life. What's even cuter is that Yuri hadn't even noticed it herself.

 

Also, did you catch the scene where Yena first realised she was Yuri's first kiss?