Down the Snakes' Den

Expecto Patronum.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A day turned two days, then three, then a week. It all went by like a blur as Chaeyeon would put it. It has been a week now since that fateful night at the training grounds at the Slytherin broom cabinets. The night where she found the head girl from Slytherin, helpless and paler than usual while sadness filled her eyes until tears fell from it. 

 

Chaeyeon did want to see Eunbi that night, she surely did not just expect she'll be seeing her in their rivals' den with puffy eyes and a deflated facade.

 

Chaeyeon really had no idea whatever went through Eunbi's strong mind that made it falter and turn her intimidating mindset into a pessimistic one in a blink of an eye. However, since then, Chaeyeon felt the connection between the both of them, like Chaeyeon suddenly understands Eunbi even with just a mere gentle touch, even with just looking into her eyes. 

 

Don't get her wrong, Chaeyeon doesn't really hear anything from the head girl usually. However, the only time Chaeyeon got to know Eunbi outside her protective shell was that day after dusk which now lies at the back of her mind just as a memory, remembering the serenity they were wrapped in while Eunbi leans on her shoulder.

 

Apparently, it has been a week already. It has been a week since Chaeyeon last talked to Eunbi properly as well. Chaeyeon does pass by her from time to time while she herself hustles and bustles to go to the next class with Minjoo but it seems like all she gets from Eunbi was just a half-hearted smile, then off she goes away from both the Ravenclaws again.

 

Chaeyeon won't lie, a part of her wants to see Eunbi smile again, the warmest smile she had ever seen but it seems like the head girl wasn't giving her any chance. Chaeyeon wonders whatever went wrong. If she mistakenly said something during that night, or if she did something that dissatisfied Eunbi. However, she decides to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe Eunbi was just busy or just needed time for herself, whatever she's going through.

 

So, whatever it was worth, Chaeyeon tries to get in trouble. A couple of times a week now, actually. 

 

If only she owns the time turner or even own a pensieve, surely she could've relive and re-experience the day the Ravenclaw quidditch team won the championship then fast forward to the first time she meets Eunbi's unfazed eyes at the Quidditch pitch looking directly at her own, the same eyes that softened later that night when she accompanied her in the cold breeze of West Towers, and the same eyes she meets again at the training grounds, filled with sadness and vulnerability. 

 

If only she could go back, she would've done it already.

 

So Chaeyeon tries to tag along Yujin and Yena, obviously looking for trouble. She was really never the one to go with the notorious pranksters of Hogwarts but she finds herself just right behind the Choi and Ahn tandem, getting all fired up for another prank they were about to pull. Just then, fate was really on Chaeyeon's side as she saw Minjoo and Eunbi walking around together, Minjoo eyeing the three of them then her eyes directed to Yujin's direction, aware of whatever mischief that's bound to happen whenever she sees Yena with her.

 

Chaeyeon silently observes Eunbi whom in return, also just silently observes how Minjoo talks Yujin out of it, placing an immediate frown on Yena's lips.

 

Chaeyeon tries to break the awkward air by clearing , which Eunbi regards in a way that she suddenly got snapped out of trance.

 

"Hey, Kwon. You okay?" Chaeyeon inquires which was immediately answered by a bashful nod.

 

Not even a single hum or a glance spared for Chaeyeon. It was all getting too confusing for the Captain, not really knowing how to aid this aching feeling she's getting from Eunbi's sudden evasion from her.

 

Chaeyeon still thinks Eunbi was worth it, nevertheless. 

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

Chaeyeon taps her quill on her temple repeatedly in an attempt to possibly lure out the answer from a question from Defense Against the Dark Arts homework. 

 

As Chaeyeon goes through the question for the hundredth time already since she started forty-five long minutes ago, she finally decided to let her head cool off for a bit. She was never a whiz like Minjoo when it comes to this subject but she does work hard on acing homeworks such as this one. However, homeworks was too draining nowadays, she needs a breather.

 

Chaeyeon slams her hand against the wooden table of their common room and proceeds to shut all of her books in the most abrupt way possible, her lungs already aching for the cold yet very fresh air of the outside, away from the smell of books and tea and the sight of book-buried-heads in their common room.

 

With her books on hand, Chaeyeon finally jogs down the dormitories to wrap herself around a woolen blue scarf and a woolen sweater and top it off with her beige parka. After she kept her books down by the top of her trunk, Chaeyeon wasted no time and ran to the main entrance. 

 

Chaeyeon shivers while she steps through the familiar path from the West Towers to the corridors where a minimal number of students busied themselves with either talking or just simply walking, all of them suffering from the cold breeze the torches that light up the corridors can't even fight out.

 

With no place in mind, Chaeyeon lets her feet do the walking. She doesn't know how and why, but she suddenly found serenity in just simply walking through the winter in the Hogwarts Castle.

 

However, her feet suddenly came in to complete halt when she saw a familiar person just from a close proximity from her. An all too familiar person that has been avoiding her for quite some time now, clad in a thin black cardigan on top of just a shirt which did not match how warm Chaeyeon was feeling under all of garments. Chaeyeon was suddenly disturbed with how cold the head girl must have been feeling with this weather.

 

Just as fate be against her (or sides with her, as Chaeyeon won't admit), they were alone but together, the night not getting any younger as they just looked at each other with their feet staying rooted to the ground, neither one of them seemingly wanting to even start a conversation.

 

Chaeyeon suddenly fathoms reasons why she shouldn't really bother talking to Eunbi anymore but she couldn't list even one. Her pride knows this ache inside her was wrong in all levels but there was something inside her that makes her feel like she was more than willing to swallow her brick of pride just to talk to Eunbi, even though she wasn't the one avoiding her like plague.

 

"Good evening." Chaeyeon buries the lower half of her face down the bulky woolen scarf she has wrapped around her neck. She was never a timid one like this and it seems like it was eating up the usual confident Lee she was born as.

 

"Hey there, Lee. Where to?" Eunbi was in her prefect mode. (Chaeyeon was familiar with it already because of Minjoo; Do all prefects use the same tone? )

 

"Owlery. You know, maybe send a letter to parents or something." Chaeyeon scratches her head bashfully.

 

Chaeyeon was waiting for Eunbi to say something but all she was getting was this look. A look she has seen already. The look that was telling her Eunbi wants to say something, so she anticipates.

 

"Kwon?" Chaeyeon tries to call for her attention again, tilting her head in confusion, her curiosity evident in her tone but Eunbi just smiles at her weakly, tightening the wrap of her thin cardigan around her. 

 

"Don't forget to return before bedtime, Lee. Good night."

 

Eunbi was avoiding her, again. It was now clear to her that something is indeed very wrong . Chaeyeon knows she shouldn't assume but she knows that night in the cabinets was something. She felt something between the both of them, a connection which Eunbi was now trying to waver for unknown reasons. 

 

However, Chaeyeon was not the captain of the Ravenclaw quidditch team for nothing. Chaeyeon was very determined. Once she sets her eyes on something, she fights to get a chance to grasp on it, and she never lets go.

 

Ever since she met Eunbi, there was something in her that initiated this kind of mindset. Ever since Chaeyeon saw those eyes, the pair of eyes that wants to tell something , the same pair of eyes that holds everything .

 

Chaeyeon knew that if she lets Eunbi get away again, she knew Eunbi will ignore and avoid her forever.

 

"No, wait!" Chaeyeon called from a distance, her voice echoing through the empty hallway, enough for Eunbi to look back at her direction while her eyebrows arched in curiosity.

 

Chaeyeon walked and almost jogged to where Eunbi was situated, afraid that she might lose Eunbi's attention with a snap of the fingers if she's too slow.

 

"May I accompany you on your rounds? I'll go straight to bed after, I promise." Chaeyeon crosses her left chest, making a promise. Then, Eunbi exhales and runs her hands through her blonde short locks before she reluctantly double takes at Chaeyeon whose gentle smile was getting more and more persuasive, the more she looked at her.

 

"Fine. As long as you stay behaved, got it?" With that, Chaeyeon nods.

 

Chaeyeon does obediently follow their consensus. While Eunbi roams the corridors of their beloved castle, Chaeyeon lags two steps behind the head girl, quietly observing how much of a burden they are carrying on their shoulders. 

 

Having to double check every single place where students may lie, Eunbi diligently and patiently does it without fail. With that, being the captain of the quidditch team suddenly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter