Of Butterflies and Wild Rabbits

Expecto Patronum.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Surrounded by a couple— dozens of people that want to be included in Chaeyeon's "mini" circle of friends, Chaeyeon tries to accommodate them one by one by warmly greeting them even with a simple wave and smile. It's not that Chaeyeon dislikes the attention, it's just that sometimes, it really gets too much.

 

One time, during her fourth year at Hogwarts, she saw a mysterious envelope laid on her part of the table at the Great Hall. Minjoo, much to her displeasure, asked Chaeyeon to dispose of the envelope immediately without opening it. When Chaeyeon asked why, Minjoo said nothing, maybe because the cat was already out of the bag.

 

Because it was later evening of that day when she overhears at the common room that someone doused love potion on an envelope and laid it on Chaeyeon's part of the table. The girl whom she hears talking was waiting for Chaeyeon, who just walks by them, returning them a kind smile before continuing to her room. Since then,Chaeyeon reminds herself not to open letters that have hearts all over it.

 

"Once you're done with your suitors maybe we can go to our next class now, no?" 

 

Chaeyeon chuckles and nudges Minjoo. "Alrighty, Minjoo. Let's go!" Chaeyeon grabs Minjoo's arm then leads the both of them through the crowd in front of her, now on the verge of getting even worse.

 

However, before they could run away from the close proximity of the growing crowd, she suddenly sees Eunbi, looking at her with crossed arms in front of her chest, completely dissatisfied with what was happening.

 

"Eunbi is gonna kill me." Minjoo pinches the bridge of her nose while Eunbi finally walks towards the both of them, the crowd behind them finally disappearing slowly within the sight of the head girl.

 

Instead of getting intimidated, Chaeyeon grins. The once shivering, frail girl she talked to last night was nowhere to be found and now replaced by the strong, intimidating aura she was currently exuding.

 

"Try not to gather in groups as big as that, Lee. I almost thought there was a commotion happening that Minjoo's leaving ungoverned." 

 

"Sorry—"

 

"Sorry, it's my fault really." Chaeyeon's voice overshadows Minjoo immediately as soon as the Ravenclaw prefect starts apologizing. "The students were trying to talk to me about... last weekend. Yeah, that's it." Chaeyeon smiles politely at Eunbi.

 

"If you think I'd let you pass again like I did on the pitch, you're thinking wrong." Eunbi squints her eyes in an attempt to show a cold shoulder which Chaeyeon just grins at, not even an ounce of fear seen in her eyes.

 

"Well, will that be the length I should go to just to talk to you again?" Chaeyeon catches Eunbi stiffen but still keeps a straight face while Minjoo snickers at her sudden inquiry. She had never shown this side of her to anyone, being known to be someone who really does not care about how many boys or even girls chase after the likes of her. She's not really looking for someone to love, not yet.

 

But who knows? Maybe, something's stirring up in her system.

 

"Watch out, Lee." Eunbi smirks, a hint of amusement evidently hanging by the corner of her lips as she walks away from the both of them while Chaeyeon's eyes just follow her waddle through the busy students just walking through the corridors.

 

"You're mad! How come you just talk to Eunbi like that?" Minjoo reprimands with a smile on but Chaeyeon just keeps mum, flashing a giddy grin and a shake of head.

 

"Let's get to class. You don't want Eunbi to reprimand us now, do we?" Chaeyeon walks ahead of her with Minjoo just barely catching up behind her.

 

"Oh, but you want to?" Minjoo inquires.

 

"Maybe."

 

Minjoo now glares at her.

 

"Okay, fine— Yes."

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

Though Quidditch matches are now far from even starting again, the champions of Ravenclaw still find themselves sweat profusely through the clothes that keep them warm in a cold weather like they were experiencing at the moment.

 

After a gruesome drill of defending the goal posts, Chaeyeon almost falls from her broom as she clumsily lands on her feet, feeling the soil beneath her worn out figure and Chaeyeon thinks she could lay there by the grass and just succumb and even die already. However, that was just her being dramatic, she knows.

 

Chaeyeon falls on her knees while she tosses her broom to the ground, catching her breath while she scans through her teammates who were just as tired now as her, already training for an hour or two without any breaks. 

 

Just then, their seeker, Nako flies by her, circling the tired Chaeyeon before landing gracefully on her feet.

 

"Captain Lee! Never pegged you to be the first one to take a break." Nako chuckles while she settles beside Chaeyeon, not even a bead of sweat falling on her forehead. 

 

"The drill was too damn tiring. The matches do not even occur until the next 5 months!" Chaeyeon grunts while she fetches her broom from the ground, running her fingers along the fine wood of the Firebolt 1029, something her father recently sent her. (He always sends her the finest broom every year, a clumsy and old owl always dropping one off while she consumes a hearty breakfast of tea and biscuits.)

 

Just then, she hears someone call her name, a girl or two, just simultaneously calling out her name which made the both of them snap their attentions to where it was coming from.

 

Not wanting to go through the horrors of a possible love potion doused on the box of truffles the girl was holding, Chaeyeon just waves at the girl with a smile on her face.

 

"You're really a fine one are you? Quidditch captain, smartest 5th year in Ravenclaw, a Lee—"

 

"Being a Lee is not a valid reason—" Chaeyeon scoffs.

 

"—Girls and boys are after you! Why don't you just try and entertain one of them." Nako nudges at her arm, pointing at the scattered group of students just watching the both of them lounge by the grass and talk.

 

"It's not really my thing right now. Besides, you said it yourself. I am the captain, I am the smartest— which, in fact, is false knowing Minjoo is around." Nako rolls her eyes at Chaeyeon then she continues. "I have more things I should worry about other than fancying someone."

 

"I'm just saying, Chaeyeon. You never know. Maybe tomorrow, you finally meet the one and you just let them slip right through your fingers because you're too focused." 

 

"Who are you and what have you done to Nako? Bring back my seeker!" Chaeyeon shakes Nako's shoulder violently.

 

"Gosh, what's with Ravenclaws being so career-oriented?" Nako scratches her head as she mounts her broom, immediately flying away with a gust of wind hitting Chaeye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter