Birthday Suprise

Memories (a continuation of I'm Not Alone Anymore)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SinB always tended to have the most strange behaviors out of the rest of the girls, both as a kitten and as a human. It was always endearing. Something that Sowon had gotten used to and found adorable. But today the girl's behavior was just plain weird.

It was the weekend again and SinB had begged and begged until Sowon had finally agreed to take her to the nearby mall, insisting that it was important that the older girl buy her something. That 'something' remained a mystery, the former black kitten refusing to tell her while continuing to talk about how she needed to get it right now. Sowon had asked the rest of the girls if they wanted to come but SinB had interjected immediately before the other girls could even say a word, demanding that it would be just her and Sowon this time.

So here they both were, wandering up and down the isles of the grocery store in search of this 'something' that SinB wanted. SinB was always a few steps ahead of Sowon, the former black kitten almost pacing down the isles and in front of different foods and drinks. Sowon could only watch with a raised eyebrow until SinB passed in front of her again. In a smooth motion, Sowon grabbed SinB's arm, trying to keep the former black kitten from wandering down another isle by herself.

"Are you going to tell me what you're looking for so we can go home?" Sowon asked, tightening her grip slightly as SinB squirmed in her grip. 

"I can find it myself." SinB grumbled. 

"We've been in this store for thirty minutes." Sowon sighed. "If we aren't going to bring home food then we need to get back soon so I can make lunch."

"I'm not done yet." SinB replied, turning her head away while she attempted to break loose from Sowon's grip. Sowon let out another sigh, running her free hand through SinB's short black hair lovingly. SinB seemed to freeze up at the affection, clearly enjoying it but after a few moments, the former black kitten pulled out of Sowon's grip and darted off down the isle. 

"SinB!" Sowon called out as the former black kitten disappeared around the corner of the isle. Sowon shook her head in disbelief. SinB was really acting strange today. 

It took a good ten minutes for Sowon to convince SinB to search for whatever she was looking for in another store in the mall. SinB still refused to tell Sowon anything, only responding to the questions with a grunt or a one word answer. It was almost if SinB was nervous or anxious, the former black kitten's eyes darting around the area before down at her phone in her hand. 

"You aren't actually looking for anything, are you, SinB?" Sowon finally said, causing the former black kitten to stop in her tracks with her words. Bingo. It was obvious that she was right mainly by the expression on SinB's face. 

"Seriously, SinB, what's this about?" Sowon asked, a concerned look appearing on her features. "Why did you want to come out here with me?"

SinB stared up at Sowon with wide eyes before glancing at her phone. 

"SinB." Sowon's voice had turned stern. "Talk to me."

"I dunno." SinB said, pocketing her phone as she attempted to walk off again. Sowon was fast, grabbing SinB's arm again before she could get out of reach.

"You love going out with everyone together. Why did you just want to be with me today?" Sowon asked.

SinB only let out a small huff in response. Sowon couldn't help but chuckle softly, ruffling SinB's hair playfully. 

"Come on. Let's go home, okay? We can even stop by the store again before we do. I'll buy you something sweet."

 SinB twitched at the mention of being bought a treat. Sowon smiled, confident that the reason why SinB was behaving so strangely was because she just wanted to spend more time with her away from the other former kittens. But that was short lived. 

As if she was a kitten again, SinB darted over to one of the nearby outdoor benches and laid down on it completely, making her body limp like she was trying to take a nap on it. Sowon was completely baffled now. 

"SinB?" Sowon approached the bench, attempting to pull the former black kitten up to a sitting position. SinB was having none of it, quietly hissing and grumbling. Sowon glanced around them, making sure most of the people walking past the two of them were out of sight. It would be slightly embarrassing if anyone really saw what she was about to do next, especially if SinB slipped into kitten mode.

"We're going home now. Alright? Don't make this harder than it needs to be." Sowon said before leaning down and scooping SinB up into her arms, picking her up like one would pick up a disobedient toddler. SinB was hissing loudly now, squirming frantically in the taller girl's grip. Sowon ignored it, adjusting SinB in her grip so the younger girl was practically over her shoulder. The only thing SinB could do now was accept her position, wrapping her arms around Sowon's neck and grumbling as she was carried the entire way back to the car. 

The ride home was silent for the most part, SinB staring out the window of the front seat while holding onto Sowon's hand. Sowon was more than okay with driving with one hand for most of the way back, concerned that the former black kitten was feeling upset or lonely like Eunha had that one day before the winter festival. But the reason for SinB's behavior became clear once the two entered the house again.

"Surprise!" All of the former kittens yelled as Sowon came into view. The living room and kitchen were decorated brightly, colored balloons and various party decorations scattered around. A homemade vanilla cake was sitting on a tray in the middle of the kitchen table along with a simple meal that Umji had prepared for lunch, the words 'Happy Birthday Sowon' with lots of hearts accompanying it, spelled out in icing on top in the former brown striped kitten's handwriting. The kitchen chair that Sowon usually sat at during meals had several balloons tied to it, separating it from the rest of the chairs while various small present boxes were set up in front of Sowon's spot.

Sowon was stunned. In the past two years, she hadn't brought much attention to her birthday or celebrated it much, reserving that sort of thing for when the former kittens birthdays came around instead. Every single year, her girls had made sure to give her happy birthday kisses or hugs but they had never done more than that. Sowon had been fine with it, not wanting the former kittens to spend too much time and effort on her, even with the girls protests and Yerin insisting that they do something bigger for her than just hugs. She should have known that the former kittens would eventually want to do something like this for her, even with her insisting that her birthday wasn't a big deal. It was touching and the sight of it was enough to bring tears to Sowon's eyes.

"So this is why you were being so weird." Sowon laughed, rubbing at her eyes before turning to look at the grinning former black kitten. "You wanted me out of the house so everyone could set this up, huh?"

"Yep." SinB said with a proud tone, the wide grin on her face never leaving.

"Such a naughty kitten." Sowon said with another small laugh, pinching SinB's cheek lightly. SinB didn't protest, still grinning proudly as Sowon let go of her cheek and ran a hand through her soft black hair instead. 

"Happy birthday Sowon!!" Yerin yelled, running forward and hugging the older girl tightly, pressing kiss after kiss against Sowon's cheek after she had. 

"It's Sowon's day!" Umji giggled happily, joining Yerin in hugging Sowon while the former ginger kitten continued her onslaught of kisses.

"You gotta open my gift first!" Eunha said loudly, jumping up and down in place while holding Yuju's hand. Yuju was just as excited, joining Eunha in jumping up and down before running to Sowon's side with Eunha next to her. 

"No! She needs to open mine first!" Yerin whined, nuzzling her face against Sowon's cheek. 

"Mine should be first." Yuju joined in the argument, wrapping her arms around Sowon's waist. Umji was content with cuddling up to the older girl instead of insisting her gift be opened before everyone else, completely used to the loud chaos that was common in the household. 

"Okay, okay." Sowon chuckled, barely able to move thanks to how almost all the former kittens were clinging to her. "How about we calm down and eat lunch first?"

"No." SinB spoke up, crossing her arms and tapping her foot impatiently. "You gotta open your gifts first." 

"I'm not eating until you open my present." Eunha huffed. Sowon laughed again in response, nodding and letting the former kittens lead her over to her designated chair at the kitchen table. 

Another argument had broken out about which gift Sowon should open first but it was quickly solved when the older girl decided to open Umji's gift first. SinB and Eunha pouted for a few moments until Sowon started to unwrap the present, their eager eyes examining what was inside the box and the expression on Sowon's face. 

It wasn't a large box but the gift inside was full of love and admiration. Inside the present, a homemade bracelet sat in the middle, different colors of beads surrounding the lettered beads that spelled out Sowon's name, Umji choosing to put 'Sowon' instead of 'Sojung'. It was clear that Umji had spent a lot of time and effort making it and the end result was something completely special and priceless. The bracelet almost didn't even look homemade, the beads arranged in an artful and pleasing way.

"Umji...." Sowon whispered out, taking the bracelet in her hand to examine it more carefully with shining brown eyes.

"Do you like it?" Umji asked, watching Sowon with a curious and sightly nervous expression.

"I love it." Sowon smiled, placing the bracelet back in the box and leaning over to kiss Umji's cheek. "I'll wear it all the time. I promise."

Umji's expression brightened, the former brown striped kitten giggling happily before returning Sowon's affection with a cheek kiss of her own.

 

The next gift that Sowon decided to open was Yerin's, the ginger kitten's gift larger than the rest of the boxes. Sowon figured that was because Yerin was also getting a steady paycheck from working along side her at the animal shelter. What she wasn't expecting was for Yerin to do something so meaningful with her gift. It was a large photo frame and Sowon was confused at first until she turned the frame over, gasping softly at the picture inside. It was a photo of all of the former kittens dressed up nicely and posing with each other in a family like portrait. All of the girl's personalities were showing clearly in the photo that Yerin had captured with the timer on her personal camera. In the picture, Yerin was smiling while her arm was around SinB's shoulder. SinB was smiling in the photo but there was still a bit of awkwardness in her posture, her short black hair combed out nicely unlike how it tended to be unruly and fluffy on normal days. Yuju was clinging to SinB's waist with a pretty and happy smile on her face while Eunha and Umji remained in front of the other three, their cheeks pressed against each other's as they were smiling brightly as well. 

"Wow." Was all Sowon could say at first

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter