Sowon

Memories (a continuation of I'm Not Alone Anymore)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   Another day, the same routine. Sowon was hard at work in the kitchen with Umji by her side, preparing pancakes for breakfast before both her and Yerin would have to leave for work later. The blonde had made sure to get up a bit early to let Eunha cuddle with her before she would have to start getting ready, the former white kitten happy to wake up early for the affection throughout the past few weeks. Something felt off, though, and Sowon still couldn't put her finger on it. She had almost fallen asleep during her and Eunha's early cuddle time, surprising herself. Mornings were never usually a problem for her and it wasn't as if she hadn't gone to sleep at a reasonable time. It was strange, especially since it was becoming more common in the past few days. But it was fine, she was just probably exhausted from having to socalize so much at the animal shelter. She would ask Yerin to do most of the talking for her today.

"Sowon?"

Sowon blinked back to reality as Umji softly called her name, the former brown striped kitten staring up at her with a tilted head while the sound of the other former kittens talking among themselves in the living room filled the background. That was weird. Had she been zoning out?

"Yes, Umji?" Sowon replied quickly, giving the younger girl a warm smile.

"Are you alright?" Umji asked, taking the spatula out of Sowon's hands in order to flip the pancakes over. "You almost burnt them."

"Ah, did I?" Sowon looked down at the pan, noticing how Umji had saved the quickly cooking pancakes from meeting their doom. Umji was staring at her again, her gaze unwavering.

"Sorry." Sowon gave the former brown striped kitten another smile as best as she could. "I guess I'm a bit sleepy today. I'm fine, Umji."

"Let me take over then." Umji said, turning the heat down on the stove while keeping a careful eye on the food.  "Go drink some coffee, okay?"

"Alright." Sowon sighed, giving in to Umji's demands while placing a kiss against the younger girl's head. Umji smiled, nuzzling against Sowon before going back to focusing on her task, the pancakes almost ready to be served. Sowon turned around to make her way over to the mentioned coffee maker, hopeful that the drink would help her stay focused today. 

But before she could even start to prepare the warm drink, it happened.

Suddenly, it was as if the room was spinning, the blonde stumbling on her feet before gripping at the kitchen counter to steady herself. An ache in her head joined her unsteady vision, the pain in that she had been trying to ignore for the past week finally noticeable. Sowon felt her legs growing weaker, her eyes unable to focus fully on what was in front of her. What was this? What was happening? 

"Sowon?" Umji had noticed the sudden strange actions in the taller, turning off the stove before running to Sowon's side. "Sowon?" 

"I...." Was all Sowon managed to say before her body started to give up on her, the taller slumping against Umji as her grip on the countertop started to slip. 

"Sowon?!" Umji's distressed voice raised in tone, the younger girl trying to keep Sowon from falling over. Yerin's head turned immediately the second Umji's scared voice entered her ears, her eyes widening in shock at the sight. In an instant, the former ginger kitten was running out of the living room, confusing the rest of the former kittens. The second Yerin reached Sowon and Umji, the rest of the girls jumped to their feet at the sight, panic filling their chests.

"Sowon!" Yerin's voice shook as she helped Umji keep Sowon upright. Yuju and SinB were next to reach them, Eunha trailing behind while being unsure of how to help or even react. None of them had ever seen Sowon in this state before and it was frightening. Umji and Yerin guided Sowon over to the living room, the duo gripping at Sowon's arms tightly while Yuju had a hand on the taller girl's back, SinB and Eunha still close behind. 

"I'm.....I'm fine...." Sowon struggled to stutter out, her vision going in and out as she was led to the couch. "I....I need to..." 

"Sowon? Sowon!" Eunha's eyes filled with tears as she finally cried out, watching Yerin slowly lay Sowon down on the couch. 

"What's happening?! Sowon?!" Umji's voice was shaking, her hands covering as tears brimmed in her eyes.

"I don't know. I don't know." Yerin repeated, her hands shaking as she placed them on Sowon's cheeks, cupping her face in her hands in a desperate attempt to get the older girl to keep her eyes open.

"Sowon? Hey, Sowon." SinB's rough voice cut in, the former black kitten placing her own hand on Sowon's sweaty forehead. SinB in a breath once the sensation hit her hand. A burning hot forehead was usually a sign of a fever, Sowon had said that before, but how had this happened? This seemed to be more than just a simple fever. It had snuck up so fast. There had to be more to it than that.

"Sowon!" Yuju's usually calm voice was full of panic, the former gray kitten kneeling down next to the couch while SinB and Yerin tried their best to get Sowon to respond. Sowon's gaze shifted from Yuju's face, to SinB's face and then Yerin's, confused on what exactly was happening.

"....Y....Yerin...." Sowon whispered out, wincing as the light made her head almost pulsate with pain. 

"Sowon!" Yerin cried out, a few tears streaking down her face. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"So....So tired...." Sowon mumbled, struggling to keep her eyes open. She had never felt so exhausted in her life, her body feeling like it was made out of lead. 

"What do we do?" Eunha asked, trying to stay calm. Umji, on the other hand, was crying softly, clinging to Eunha's body for some sort of comfort. 

"I need to call the shelter." Yerin said as she backed up away to let SinB take over, rubbing at her face to clear her tears away. "There's no way we're coming in to work today with Sowon like this."

"I knew it." SinB gritted her teeth, trying to keep tears from coming out. "I knew something was wrong. She's been pushing herself too hard recently. Of course this happened."

"What do you mean?" Eunha sniffled. SinB sighed, moving away from Sowon so Umji could be by the taller's side instead. Umji was fast to replace SinB, letting go of Eunha so she could take Sowon's hand, placing a shaky kiss against it while Sowon attempted to brush the tears out of the former brown kitten's eyes. Her caring behavior clearly couldn't be snuffed out even while she was in such a fragile state.

"The same thing happened to one of the girls in my dance class." SinB explained, her arms crossed over her chest, a nervous expression clearly on her face. "She pushed herself to her limit and nearly passed out while we were practicing. She overworked herself and didn't even notice how bad she was feeling until it all hit her at once."

"So....are you saying the same thing is happening to Sowon?" Yuju had joined the conversation, wrapping an arm around Eunha's shoulders. Eunha welcomed the contact, staying close to the former gray kitten while SinB nodded her head.

"It's the only explanation for this." SinB mumbled, glancing back at the couch where Sowon was being tended to by a tearful Umji. "She's always taking care of us, working, driving us places, surprising us with things, making us food. I bet its a lot for her to handle. Especially me. I probably cause her the most problems."

"You know she doesn't feel that way." Eunha scolded softly. "She loves you no matter what. She says that to all of us constantly."

"She's right." Yuju agreed, finally managing to calm down. "This isn't your fault, SinB. Sowon wouldn't want you to feel this way."

"I know. I just....I can't help it." SinB sighed, still unable to tear her eyes away from Sowon's face, the blonde's eyes half open as Umji ran her fingers through the taller's long hair. A long moment of silence passed over the group, the only sound being Umji's sniffling and the noise of Yerin talking on the phone from the other side of the room.

"What should we do?" Eunha whispered, her grip on Yuju's body tightening out of nervousness. 

"We take care of her." Yuju replied, running her hand up and down Eunha's back. "Just like she takes care of us."

"Right." SinB agreed. "Should we get her upstairs?"

"I think that would be a good idea." Yuju nodded, watching Yerin hang up her phone before the former ginger kitten joined the group. 

"Yerin, can you help me get Sowon upstairs in her bed?" SinB asked, placing a hand softly on Yerin's shoulder for support.

"Yeah." Yerin nodded, a few tears b in her eyes again. SinB was quick to wipe them away with her hand, making sure Yerin was okay before leading her over to the couch. Umji was cradling Sowon's head in her hands, tears dripping down her cheeks while Sowon's eyes were closed, unable to keep herself awake for much longer. 

"Lets get you upstairs, okay?" SinB said firmly to the sickly Sowon, Eunha taking the job of comforting the teary former brown striped kitten who was almost refusing to leave Sowon's side. After a few moments, Umji clung to Eunha, burying her face in her sweater. Eunha kissed Umji's cheek, holding the girl close. Getting Sowon up to her feet again was a struggle but both former kittens managed to get her upstairs and into bed. Though it was clear that Sowon was still in denial of her condition, attempting to get back up again after she was laid down in her bed.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" SinB asked sharply, pushing Sowon back down forcefully but making sure it wasn't too rough, not wanting to hurt the older girl. 

"I need....to finish making breakfast." Sowon mumbled, her eyes half open. 

"What you need to do is rest." SinB grumbled, keeping Sowon pinned down while Yerin pulled the blankets over the blonde's body. Sowon looked like she wanted to protest but her energy levels were quickly lowering. The older girl managed to search through her pockets, searching for something with her shaky hands and fumbling with it once it was found. SinB looked like she wanted to start growling at Sowon to rest but the sight of a phone being held out towards her shut her down, the former black kitten staring at the unlocked phone blankly. Even Yerin looked confused, glancing down at Sowon.

"What-"

"I....I disabled the passcode..." Sowon said softly, passing her phone into SinB's hands. "For lunch and dinner....just order something....with my account."

"I'm only doing that if you go to sleep." SinB huffed, taking Sowon's phone and slipping it into her jacket pocket. Sowon let out a small laugh that was followed quickly by a cough, Yerin tucking the blankets around the blonde's shaking body. SinB continued to stare at Sowon until she was certain that the older girl was asleep, gesturing for Yerin to follow her out the door while flicking the lights off. Yuju was waiting at the top of the stairs, unease clear in her eyes.

"Is she sleeping?" Yuju asked, her voice shaking for a moment before steading.

"Yeah, she's asleep." SinB nodded, taking Sowon's phone out of her pocket to show the former gray kitten. "She told me to order something for lunch and dinner later." 

"She's still worrying about us even while she's feeling bad." Yuju sighed, a small smile appearing on her features. "That's just like her."

"She should worry about herself more." SinB said with a sigh, staring at Sowon's phone in her hand before turning the screen back on.

The lock screen was a simple one, a picture from the day that they had all gone to the aquarium several years ago but the home screen was different. It was a picture of all five of the former kittens playing in the snow when they had gotten snowed in a month ago. In the photo, Umji and Eunha were holding hands, clear smiles on their faces in the captured moment of them keeping close to each other while the others played. SinB spotted herself throwing a snowball at Yerin and Yuju in the photo, Yerin and Yuju throwing snowballs back with determination and happiness glittering in their eyes. SinB felt her face growing red, quickly switching to the messaging app on Sowon's phone.

"Hey...." Yerin elbowed SinB in the side. "Should you really be going through her phone right now?"

SinB didn't respond, scrolling through the messages with curious eyes. Yerin quickly pulled the phone out of SinB's hand, holding it away from her.

"Yerin!" SinB growled, trying to swipe Sowon's phone back from the former ginger kitten.

"What are you thinking?" Yerin shot back, turning off the screen and pocketing the phone in her own pocket. "You can't just do stuff like that without asking first!"

"She gave it to me after disabling the screen password." SinB pouted, trying to grab Yerin's arm so she could get the phone back. 

"She may have but that doesn't mean you can go snooping through it like that!" Yerin sighed, keeping her grip on the phone in her pocket firm while SinB tugged at her arm. It was no use, Yerin's arm wouldn't budge, the former black kitten quickly giving up after a few more tries.

"You're no fun." SinB huffed, frowning as Yuju gently ruffled her hair. 

"And you're a naughty kitten." Yerin replied, joining Yuju in running her hands through SinB's hair. SinB continued to pout, though she didn't move away from Yuju and Yerin's hands, clearly enjoying the affection even with a frown on her face. She was too easy to read at times. 

"How is she?" Eunha asked the second the trio joined them, Umji still snuggled into her arms.

"She's sleeping right now so I think she'll be fine." Yerin replied, holding up Sowon's phone while making sure that SinB couldn't grab it out of her hands.

"She told us to order something for lunch and dinner when the time comes."

"I wanna see her." Umji mumbled, Eunha pressing another kiss against her cheek. 

"I don't see a problem with Umji watching over her." SinB said, reaching over and patting Umji's shoulder gently. "As long as she doesn't wake her up, I don't see why she can't."

"I think you're right." Yerin agreed, smiling softly at Umji and gesturing towards th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter