Cozy Christmas

A Christmas Collection 2020
Myunghwa opened her eyes and reached for her phone on the nightstand. It was Dec 25th at 11 in the morning. Her boyfriend’s arm hung across her waist reminding her where she was. She’d spent the evening with him yesterday, and they decided for her to spend the night. There was no point of going home when she was coming back for Christmas. She snuggled back into his arms and couldn’t help but admire what she loved about his face. His chisel jawline, the thickness of his small lips, his pointed nose, his wide forehead, and messy bed hair. She loved all of him. Every inch.
      When he stirred in his sleep, she forced her eyes shut. They had dated for over a year, but she was still shy every time he caught her staring at him. She loved it though when he stared at her, harder and longer.
      “Why are you smiling?” he asked. She felt the vibration of his deep voice in his chest. She remained silent. She was caught red handed for staring.
      “Ah…you’re staring at me.” She felt a stronger vibration when he chuckled. He knew she loved staring at him, and he never minded that habit. Whatever makes her happy, he’s in for it.
      She forced her eyes opened and threw a light punch to his chest. He knew but still . She blinked her round eyes when he scooted down to be face-level with her.
      “Now you can stare.” He sent her a quirky smile and closed his eyes.
      “Stop teasing me.” It wasn’t that she didn’t like it. She was afraid her poor heart couldn’t handle the way he made her heart fluttered with his simplicity and honesty.
      “Ah…am I?” His eyes opened and sent another teasing smile to her.
      “Son Hyunwoo, I’ll kick you off the bed if you keep teasing me.” Myunghwa smiled. He knew she didn’t mean what she said. She acted tough when she’s shy.
      “Really? You would?” He smashed her below him as he reached over to grab his phone that was next to hers.
      “It’s almost noon.” Hyunwoo exchanged a quizzically look with Myunghwa. “Shall we get up?”
      She opened her arms but to only closed it around him and dragged him back onto the bed. “Merry Christmas!”
      Hyunwoo laughed and wrapped his arms around her. “Merry Christmas.” He kissed her forehead and suggested an idea he thought wasn’t all that bad. “Shall we spend Christmas in bed?”
      “I would love too. But you had some late decorations that came in yesterday. We should at least attempt to put that up. It would be a waste.”
      “There’s still next year.” Hyunwoo shrugged. Myunghwa remained quiet and thought about the simple solution he offered. He was right. There was still next Christmas.
      “We can keep the decoration up for another month. So, might as well put it up. I’ll probably want new decoration for next year.”
      Hyunwoo grunted and squeezed her into a tight hug. “Can I sleep for another hour?”
      “No…because I’ll sleep too if we both don’t get up.” Myunghwa inhaled his scent. There was something about his natural smell that was madly attractive. It smelt of manliness. If she could, she’d stay in his arms anytime, anywhere.
      Hyunwoo agreed. If she stayed in bed, he would too. So, he offered her the bathroom. “Ladies first.”
      Hyunwoo placed his arms behind his head and watched her take actions. Myunghwa sent him a few threatening glares before she got off the bed. She leaned back down and pulled his button pajama shirt that was lifted halfway down.
      “What’s wrong with my abs?”
      “If you don’t want me back in your arms, keep it cover.” She gritted her teeth; he was pure distraction.
      Hyunwoo chuckled. As she was still watching, he slowly lifted the hem of his pajama shirt.  Myunghwa grabbed the extra pillow and threw it at him. “I won’t fall for it.”
      She ran to the bathroom and before she closed the door, she peeked at him. His eyes were closed. Probably, halfway to falling back asleep.
     
      Christmas day for them was to stay in their matching Christmas pajama and chill at home. So, she kept her pajama on and tied her hair up before she got to work.
      “I want food,” Hyunwoo screamed before entering the bathroom.
      “Ok,” Myunghwa answered. After searching his refrigerator, she was able to prepare two giant chicken breakfast wraps stuffed with grilled chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado.
 
Myunghwa opened the box that arrived yesterday. It was the string Christmas icicles lights that she wanted to put up on the window. It’d look beautiful when he comes home and be greeted with the lights twinkling. She opened the window curtain to see a thin layer of white snow covered the ground. She slept so well thanks to the cozy weather. Hyunwoo came out with his bed hair still flying in different directions. He didn’t even attempt to comb his hair.
      “Did you eat already?” He asked.
      “Of course not. I was waiting for you.” Myunghwa made a face. How could he not know that she’d wait for him?
      “Hurry. I’m having a fight with my stomach.”
 
Myunghwa was untangling the strings of light. “Are you not going to help me?” Hyunwoo had his feet up on the couch doing some quick push-ups to get his body ready for the day. He hopped into a frog pose when Myunghwa called for him.
      “Actually, the light outside your door is out. Do you have a spare one?”
      He remained in position and thought about what was available in his house.
      “Hyunwoo?”
      “Let me dig through to see if I have any spare lightbulbs.”
     
      After Myunghwa examined the window, she searched for a stool that would help her reach the top frame. She found a decent stool from his stuffed storage and placed it beside the window. He was already outside on top of a three-steps ladder fumbling with the light. Myunghwa amusingly gazed at her boyfriend. Wasn’t he just perfect?
      She blinked her eyes when she heard a faint voice calling her name. He was trying to grab her attention.
      “What?” She asked.
      “Switch the light on.” But she was staring at his lips instead of reading his lips.
      “Myunghwa?”
      “Oh…What?”
      “Switch the light on.”
      Hyunwoo returned inside after the light worked properly. “Why are you still staring at me?”
      Myunghwa started shuffling through the box, but realized she met a dead end. The box was empty.  “What? I can’t stare at my boyfriend?”
      Hyunwoo laughed and squatted next to her. She turned away didn’t think she could take it if he made fun of her.
      “So, what can I help with?” She turned to him, thankfully, he dropped the topic.
      “Let’s hang the lights up. I’ll need your long hands and legs.”
      “Not my face?” Myunghwa pushed him and he fell onto his .
      “What’s wrong with me staring at you?” She raised her voice. She knew it was too good to be true for him to drop the topic.
      “Nothing,” he said and sat upward crisscrossing his legs. “You can stare all you want. I’m here for it.” He scrunched his face at her. What a silly man?
      “Let’s hurry. I’m ready to cuddle under the blanket.” He took the lights from her side and finish untangling them.
      “Well…you did say there is still next Christmas…”
      Hyunwoo pinched her cheek, “Hand me the hooks. I’ll put them up.”
      Myunghwa puckered her lips and sent a death glare to him. She’d pay him back for all that he since they woke up. She knocked him to the ground and jumped on top of him.
      “Why do you keep teasing me?”
      “Because you’re my girlfriend. Am I supposed to go tease someone else?” Hyunwoo casually rested his hand behind his head and stared at his girlfriend. She watched him lying there without any actions. She crossed her arms against his chest and placed her chin on top. He better not dared to look at any other women.
      “Don’t you dare close your eyes on me?”
      “Why? Wouldn’t you be able to stare longer?” He kept his eyes closed and think about her angry face that brought a smile to his face.
      “I would love that, but we have work to finish.” 
      After she pulled him up, he draped his arms over her shoulders. “Honestly, I don’t mind skipping that.”
      “Let’s just finish it.” She knew they would never get it done if she just doesn’t make them finish it.
 
      It wasn’t long until they finished setting the lights onto the window and settled themselves into the small comfy living room. It was pretty much stuffed with variety of decorations. His girlfriend went hardcore. In fact, she went gigantic. The tree was humongous taking a good portion of the living room.
      Myunghwa some Christmas music and they exchanged the numerous amounts of gifts they bought for each other. She couldn’t be happier that he paid more attention to what she wanted. And, of course, she’d give all she could for him. While exchanging presents, they both agreed seafood would be tonight’s menu.  
      When the doorbell rang, Hyunwoo rushed to receive the delivery. Myunghwa had prepared the coffee table in the living room. They had ordered a set of family meal that was big enough to feed five people. There was spicy seafood soup, seafood pancake, fried fish ball, braised mixed seafood, two fried dishes, and deep-fried squid. Hyunwoo the television and they enjoyed a peaceful dinner with laughter.
The outside became darker as their laughter echoed through the house. Cleaning was split between the two. Laying on the couch in each other’s arm was what they wanted to do. Not the cleaning. Not any activities. Not anything. Just the company of the other and to lie down. Hyunwoo extended the couch as Myunghwa threw the trash away. She returned with a blanket and was ready to cozy themselves up.
      “What shall we watch?” Hyunwoo flipped through the channels.
      “Christmas crime?” Myunghwa suggested.
      “Like?”
      “Come here first.” Hyunwoo patted the spot next to him.
       Myunghwa flashed a wide smile and jumped into the spot next to him. He took the blanket and wrapped it around them. She laid her head on his shoulder as his arm s around her. Warm gentle breeze blew through heater. The night was filled with their warmth, the comfort of being in each other’s arm, the laughter from the comedy, and the anxiety from the intense crime. It was mostly Myunghwa enjoying the movie and Hyunwoo reacting to her reactions. This Christmas was just what they both wanted, to be comfortably snuggled in each other’s embrace.