Beginning Intersection

Garden in The Air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
004 BEGINNING INTERSECTION  

The glass doors opened themselves as Yeonbin strolled into the building. It was the same building that she considered to be her second home yet this time it felt foreign. She would say that most likely it was because of everything that had happened since that day.

 

With the knowledge of Dr. Byun working in the same place as her, Yeonbin wasn’t sure how things would go from here after their encounter last week. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to see him here despite how much of a good person he was. If she managed to not see him for over a year, she could still avoid him now. Besides, how could they possibly meet in a hospital with numerous buildings?

 

“Morning, Ms. Min,” Dr. Park greeted as he walked by. 

 

Dr. Park’s outrageously deep voice brought Yeonbin back to reality. She forced a small smile before greeting him back, “Morning, Dr. Park,” she said.

 

Acknowledging her greeting, he flashed a toothy smile before continuing along his way.

 

Clutching the straps of her bag, Yeonbin looked around for anyone else she was familiar with. As there was no one, she continued walking toward her office. After unlocking the door, she stopped in her tracks seeing gifts and balloons sprawled over her desk. It was a lot more than what she received during her actual recovery period in the hospital and during that time, she received a lot. As much as the gesture itself was wholesome, she wasn't sure if she really deserved them. 

 

Setting her bag down on the couch adjacent to her desk, her hand picked out a random gift that captured her attention. Still in its box, it was a navy-blue porcelain mug. There was no indication of who sent it to her but there was only a card attached to it wishing her a fast and healing recovery. Though she wasn’t sure who it was from, it was sweet that they managed to write a card for her, let alone got a gift for her. Placing the card back down, the door to her office opened. 

 

Seulgi with her usual cups of coffee entered the room with a bright smile. “Morning, my queen. I’m so glad to finally have you back!”

 

Quickly, she opened her arms and made her way to Yeonbin and gave her a hug careful enough to not spill hot coffee on her hands.

 

“I know, it’s about time I return to work,” Yeonbin laughed as she accepted the coffee from Seulgi and sat herself down on her chair. “I missed talking to you often, the video and phone calls were not enough.”

 

“It’s not the same as it is in person,” Seulgi shrugged as she sat herself across from Yeonbin. “Anyways, how are you? Are you feeling okay?”

 

“Yeah, I am. Though, my father still doesn’t think so, he wants me to take things slow for the first couple of weeks. I insisted on just doing things normally but he already made sure my schedule is light.”

 

Seulgi cooed, “Your father is so wholesome; such a powerful man yet so caring.”

 

“Sometimes annoyingly caring, but I still love him,” Yeonbin smiled before sipping her coffee.

 

Seulgi’s lips tightened into a line. “You know,” she began. “I still can’t believe you’ve met the guy from your dream… Dr. Byun, right?” 

 

Yeonbin nodded. While she was recovering in the hospital, Seulgi came by to visit her. She practically told her everything that happened that day. Even she was shocked and confused by the occurrence. 

 

“What does he look like? I bet there’s a picture of him on the staff directory for all the departments on the hospital website.”

 

Sitting up in her seat, Yeonbin wondered why she hadn’t thought of doing that sooner. Opening up her computer, she typed in the hospital’s website and clicked on the departments tab. The departments were alphabetized, luckily the anesthesiology and pain medicine department was third on the long list. Clicking on the section, she scrolled through the introduction of the department before reaching the list of physicians working in the field. There were some of them that she was familiar with as she scrolled through their pictures and names. After scrolling for less than a minute, the picture of the person she was looking for appeared. 

 

“That’s Dr. Byun? Oh my god, he’s an attractive guy,” Seulgi commented in awe as she stood beside her behind her desk. “You’re a lucky one, Yeonbin.”

 

“I thought you weren’t attracted to men,” Yeonbin questioned.

 

Her eyes remained fixated on Dr. Byun’s picture of him standing in front of a shelf of books with a subtle smile plastered on his face. His hair was dark and veiled over his forehead in a somewhat disheveled way.  He looked the same as he did now - just the lack of forehead showing.

 

“I’m not, but I know a handsome guy when I see one,” Seulgi responded with a snort. “Have you seen some of our physicians and staff here? They could be celebrities with those looks.”

 

Yeonbin was too busy with work to notice nor care in particular how attractive people looked. And if she did, it didn’t really matter to her as much as their character. 

 

“I don’t really put much of my attention on that. Plus, most of the time I’m locked in here,” Yeonbin chuckled. 

 

Seulgi returned to the seat across from where Yeonbin sat and shrugged, “You should be like your father and go out of your office more,” she teased.

 

Recalling everything that had happened, Yeonbin slowly shook her head. “I don’t think I would want to.”

 

The gynecologist sat up in her seat with brows displaying hints of curiosity. “Huh? Why not?”

 

“I met Dr. Byun just last week.”

 

“You did?” Seulgi broke into a smile before it soon fell. “What does that have to do with you being in your office?”

 

“Remember when I told you he was going to find the answer as to why I dreamt of him?”

 

Seulgi nodded, “Yeah.”

 

“And he never visited me since that day and then terminated our relationship as physician and patient out of nowhere?”

 

She nodded again, “Yeah.”

 

“Well, I recently saw him in the coffee shop I usually go to and he said he found out why I dreamt of him.” Yeonbin sat up in her seat and rolled herself closer to her desk. “And get this, everything like his looks, outfit, where we were… it was the same exact part of that dream I told you about.”

 

A look of pure shock presented itself on Seulgi’s face. “Oh my god.” She then leaned in closer. “That's so weird. What did he say to you?”

 

Yeonbin scoffed before shaking her head in disbelief. “It’s unbelievable. He said the reason why I dreamt of him is because we’re soulmates.”

 

Seulgi’s jaw hung open after hearing her words. “That’s a really unexpected reason. How did he come up with that?”

 

“He dreamt of me, Seulgi. Dreamt of me like I did with him.”

 

Days had passed and yet effect of his words remained the same now as it was before. It was hard for her mind to wrap around that fact.

 

The surprise remained palpable on Seulgi. “He dreamt of you! Oh my god, Yeonbin. And that makes you guys soulmates?” 

 

Yeonbin nodded, “Supposedly yes, isn’t that ridiculous?”

 

To her surprise, Seulgi shrugged, “It’s a plausible reason.”

 

Her shoulders dropped at her response. “Seulgi, don’t tell me you actually believe in soulmates.”

 

“I mean, looking back at the other reasons… They don’t make as much sense as this. Sorry Yeonbin, but I agree with the doctor on this one. I mean dreaming of each other even though you guys never met or saw each other before sounds like a soulmate thing to me.”

 

“If we’re soulmates, how come I don’t have any feelings for him?”

 

“Well, love isn’t exactly an immediate thing you know. You may not have feelings for him right now but you can’t deny the fact there is some connection with you two.” Seulgi raised a brow and smirked.

 

There it was, that “connection” between him and her. Besides seeing each other in each other’s dreams, there was nothing else that Yeonbin felt that would indicate they were soulmates.

 

“And that’s because we’re “soulmates” right?”

 

“Don’t deny its existence, just say it like it’s a real thing.”

 

Yeonbin glanced back at her computer monitor to see Baekhyun’s picture again. He was staring back at her with that smile that could never seem to disappear off of his face. Undeniably, it suited a person like him. Somehow, she couldn't tear her eyes away from his picture.

 

Without turning away from the picture, she simply responded, “It’s not.”

 

-

 

Neatly stacking the papers in her hands, Yeonbin’s eyes wandered to the time that was displayed at the top right of her monitor. She managed to finish working through the files earlier than expected. There was only thirty minutes before her break time would begin.

 

“I should pay him a visit,” she murmured to herself. It had been weeks since she had seen her father.

 

Grabbing her white coat and putting it on, Yeonbin walked out of her office and entered the corridor. A handful of people were in the area, most of them being healthcare workers. Dipping her chin toward passerbys, she was somewhat relieved that Dr. Byun wasn’t around. It wasn’t like he would know where her office would be located.

 

Finding herself standing in front of the door to her father’s office, Yeonbin pursed her lips and brought her hand up to knock on the wooden surface.

 

A faint “come in” was heard from the other side. With a smile, Yeonbin turned the knob and allowed herself in before closing the door behind her.

 

“Ah, Yeonbin. I was thinking of visiting you later on today,” her father got up from his desk chair and went toward the table where he would prepare tea.

 

“Well, you don’t need to do that anymore,” she smiled. 

 

“How’s your first day back?” 

 

Grabbing two cups, her father then took the kettle and poured the steaming drink into each cup. The sound of the liquid coming into contact with the porcelain seemed pleasant to his ears as a happy hum came from him.

 

“Light, like you’ve specified.”

 

Her father chuckled as he held two tea cups in his hands. Making his way toward the sitting area in front of his desk, he set them down on the dark coffee table before sitting down on the leather couch across from her.

 

“Green tea?” He asked before taking a teacup in his hands and slowly drinking the hot liquid. Letting out a sigh of satisfaction, he then set the porcelain cup back onto the table.

 

“Thanks,” Yeonbin grabbed the other teacup and quickly took a sip before gently setting it back on the table.

 

“Well going back to what you said earlier, that’s really good. I didn’t want you to be bombarded with all the missing work once you got back. Luckily your colleagues accepted some extra workload -

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter