First Everything

Garden in The Air
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
012 FIRST EVERYTHING  

A nervous high school student waiting for her crush to arrive where she was standing - that was what Yeonbin had been feeling ever since Baekhyun had asked her out yesterday night up til now. Nervous, excited, everything felt dream-like to her. And right now, she was sitting in the same car as him as they made their way to their date.

 

“Nervous?”

 

Yeonbin turned away from her window towards Baekhyun, whose eyes were on the road as he was driving. Her exhaling shortly afterwards was a good enough answer as she tried to form words in her head but the nerves were overwhelming to do so. 

 

Throughout her 29 years of living, she had never been on a date before - oddly enough. Though she had a general idea of how first dates would be from dramas and movies but of course they were overly fantasized material to rely on. And because of that, she was inexplicably unprepared for the actual thing and what to even expect. Asking Seulgi was of some help as she had some experience. From what the gynecologist mentioned, she shouldn’t expect much on the first date; just talk, get to know each other. It will be awkward during some periods but that’s okay.

 

“A bit…” Yeonbin then answered as she glanced out of the dashboard window to the endless asphalt road occupied by hundreds of cars ahead of them. “How about you?”

 

“I’m excited mostly but there’s some nervousness,” he responded.

 

“How cool of you to be so honest,” she commented with a smile. It was silent before a question appeared in her mind. “So where, uh, are we going?”

 

Baekhyun didn’t really mention where they would be. She would assume it would be some common place for dates like a restaurant. 

 

“A cafe. I was debating on whether we should go to a fancy restaurant but I don’t think you would’ve liked it.”

 

How nice of him to consider that. “Your intuition was right though, they bore me.”

 

Baekhyun softly chuckled, “That makes the two of us. Thankfully the one I chose is more lively than the average cafe but not too chaotic.”

 

That was a relief, she really didn’t want to think of what utensils to use in a restaurant surrounded by overly egoistic people and look bad in front of them - especially Baekhyun himself. 

 

“Is it your favorite one?”

 

“One of my favorites. I have a long list of them. You know if this date goes well, I'll take you to the rest of them.”

 

A smile made its way on Yeonbin’s face, that idea wasn’t bad at all. Trying out new places to eat seemed exciting to experience and what more to experience it with someone whom she has feelings for.

 

“I would like that a lot,” Yeonbin said, smiling ardently at Baekhyun as he continued driving.

 

-

 

About half an hour later, they had arrived at their destination. Yeonbin glanced at the illuminated sign out through the dashboard window. It read “Elephant” which drew a soft snort from her, what an interesting name.

 

“Elephant?”

 

“I know… The name is funny,” Baekhyun responded. “But I assure you, this cafe is really nice. I go here a lot whenever I’m off from work.”

 

“It must have nice drinks and food for you to go there.”

 

“It’s delicious, I could eat their food all day if I could but that would be too unhealthy for me.”

 

“You’re right, you need a good balanced diet as a physician. Pretty ironic for a doctor to eat unhealthily all the time.”

 

“Yeah… I was guilty of that in the beginning of my career but I changed. I work out often nowadays.” He proceeded to flex out his biceps as a joke.

 

She smiled in amusement. “I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself.”

 

“I mean, I have to be healthy and live long enough to find my soulmate.”

 

Yeonbin rolled her eyes as Baekhyun laughed. “If you say so,” she said in between chuckles. Unbuckling her seatbelt, she then exited the car and shut the door behind her. It was close to late in the evening and surprisingly, the parking lot was close to being fully occupied. 

 

Entering the building, the cool, fragrant aroma of coffee occupied her senses. From all the cafes that she had gone to, this one was different. It was more cozy with warm-toned decorations and the ambient purple lighting captivated her.

 

“Cool huh?”

 

Yeonbin turned to Baekhyun and nodded. “It’s different but I like it.”

 

-

 

As she took a sip of her drink - a simple iced fruit beverage - Yeonbin took the time to glance at Baekhyun’s clothing. It was a buttoned-up shirt again patterned with thin stripes with wide spaces between them. His sleeves were rolled up. 

 

After finishing her sip, Yeonbin pointed out, “You know what I’ve noticed? You dress like a…” Her words trailed off as she tried finding the words to describe him. “… a dad with all the buttoned-up and polo shirts that you wear often.” 

 

Now that she said it out loud, it sounded worse than she had thought. She quickly glanced down at her drink momentarily before looking back up to meet his eyes.

 

Baekhyun raised a brow at her comment. He then grinned before chuckling. Taking in a sharp intake of breath, he then said, “I do? Well, like a dad, I guess I prefer functionality and comfort over aesthetics.” He looked down at his white, buttoned-up shirt before glancing up at her. “But I think this looks good, don’t you think?” 

 

Yeonbin shrugged, “Yeah, I guess.” 

 

Regardless of what he wore, he looked attractive no matter what. This evening continues to show that.

 

“You guess? So what do I have to wear to make your answer become a definite “yes” then?” He was silent before a sly smile spread upon his lips. “Do I have to take off my shirt?” His fingers touched his collar.

 

Yeonbin looked at him, her ears couldn’t even believe that he would say this in public. “No, are you crazy,” she asked in a low whisper in case anyone was overhearing their conversation.

 

“I’m teasing,” Baekhyun cheekily smiled. “But if you ask nicely, I’ll consider it.”

 

What a tease. A scoff escaped from her lips. “That makes me not want to ask you.”

 

“So, you would order me to? Administrator’s order?” 

 

“No!” Yeonbin’s eyes widened. “Not at all.”

 

“Okay then but once I do, I don’t know if you can handle it.” He smirked as he leaned back in his seat.

 

Yeonbin rolled her eyes at his statement. As if she would. 

 

“I’ve seen plenty of medical diagrams and images of shirtless men,” she replied. “I’ll be okay.”

 

“But in this case, it would be different. It’s me that would be shirtless.”

 

As her eyes were on him, she didn’t even want to im

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter